Sign in to follow this  
Gratefulegg1973

Tight Ends

Anybody ever remember a year like this for tight ends?  I don't.  I'm in 3 leagues.  Here are/were my TEs:

Waller

Andrews

Goedert

Ertz

Everett

Kittle hasn't been good.  Pitts sucks.  Maybe it's time this position be eliminated for fantasy, or at least combined with WRs?

I have one league with large rosters were there isn't much on waivers. I have Goedert as my TE with Ertz as the backup and flex option.

Guess I'll be starting the #25 TE on the year now....if I'm lucky.

Been in league that don’t have a TE only slot, they play a flex wr/te.  

I like that. 

• Like 1

Took a while to get there, but I knew you early-TE drafters would eventually see the light.

Now the trick will be retaining that knowledge for next year and applying it in practice.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Took a while to get there, but I knew you early-TE drafters would eventually see the light.

Now the trick will be retaining that knowledge for next year and applying it in practice.

Aside from Andrews, none of these guys were really drafted 'early'.  And it's not like RBs and WRs in the top few rounds are a whole lot better this year.   

Like I said before, next year I'm going Cupp or JJ in rd 1, and Mahomes or Allen rd 2.  I'll fill out RBs with 3rd and 4th stringers who will undoubtedly be starters and league winners by week 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gratefulegg1973 said:

Aside from Andrews, none of these guys were really drafted 'early'.

Andrews, Waller and Kittle and Pitts comprised 4 of the top 5 TEs taken, along with Kelce.  That's more than half the names you listed.

37 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Andrews, Waller and Kittle and Pitts comprised 4 of the top 5 TEs taken, along with Kelce.  That's more than half the names you listed.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they were drafted early.  Since you're our resident guru, would you go with Hurst or Moreau moving forward?

10 minutes ago, Gratefulegg1973 said:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they were drafted early.  Since you're our resident self-infatuated clown, would you go with Hurst or Moreau moving forward?

#fixed

• Haha 1

Anyone dropping Pitts?  I have Hockenson and am thinking of dropping Pitts for a kicker since don’t really want to drop Succop..

Early would be within the first nine rounds. 

• Confused 1

AxeElf stumped for taking Goedert/Ertz early this season and now is trying to victory lap off of them being hurt and saying "This will teach you to draft them early." Idiot.

Also, Mark Andrews and Travis Kelce- the two tight ends taken earliest- are the two top scoring at the position....even with Andrews missing a game and having another under 1 point. Kelce has 1 game where he hasn't scored double digits. 

Do away with TEs now?  Sigh..

I've heard do away with kickers a whole lot, do away with defenses...

Let's just cut through the chase and make it nothing but RBs and WRs, that seems to be what many people want any way.

Not every player or position is supposed to be the same

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Do away with TEs now?  Sigh..

I've heard do away with kickers a whole lot, do away with defenses...

Let's just cut through the chase and make it nothing but RBs and WRs, that seems to be what many people want any way.

Not every player or position is supposed to be the same

I really think the whole "Do away with tight ends" movement is because people are dopes and want to make fantasy football easier because they can't handle it being a little tougher. Getting rid of kickers I get to some degree considering they and defenses are essentially the last two spots that you draft. Although I would never advocate dumping either position.

But tight ends add a different mentality to the draft process and create more strategy is what you do. Some dopes say "Just wait until the end" but that by and large is not the best strategy to employ.  You pick someone like Hockenson. His ADP was somewhere in like the 6th or 7th round IIRC. He has more points on the year right now than people like:

Deebo Samuel

DJ Moore

Marquise Brown

Mike Williams

Najee Harris

Courtland Sutton

David Montgomery

Ezekiel Elliott

Some of those dudes went around the same time as Hockenson if not earlier. There is a back and forth in when to take a tight end to try and gain a competitive advantage at a position that is only so deep.

I want to see all the leagues I’m in go to a flex wr/te option. 

The league I’ve been in since the late 80es is thinking of trying a Def/kicker flex next season, I’m voting yes for both.  

30 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Safe haven leagues for low IQ thinkers.....that's the way weepaws likes it. 

It's not a safe haven.  Why not have the WR/TE combined?  Nobody is tuning into games to watch kickers, and aside from 2 or 3 TEs, nobody cares about them either.  Guys like Kelce will still get drafted early regardless, and we'd rid ourselves of pretending scrubs like Austin Hooper are relevant

9 minutes ago, Gratefulegg1973 said:

It's not a safe haven.  Why not have the WR/TE combined?  Nobody is tuning into games to watch kickers, and aside from 2 or 3 TEs, nobody cares about them either.  Guys like Kelce will still get drafted early regardless, and we'd rid ourselves of pretending scrubs like Austin Hooper are relevant

Because it is making it easier for people who don't actually want to employ any kind of strategy in what they are doing. Having tight end as its own devoted spot actively makes a drafter think about where to draft them for maximizing potential. Having them lumped into the WR/TE pool just means a scroll of players and a more boring chalky draft

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Because it is making it easier for people who don't actually want to employ any kind of strategy in what they are doing. Having tight end as its own devoted spot actively makes a drafter think about where to draft them for maximizing potential. Having them lumped into the WR/TE pool just means a scroll of players and a more boring chalky draft

Exactly! All making it a WR/TE flex is gonna do is water down the WR pool even more than it already is.

There's never been a time when there were a large abundance of super star TEs. It's pretty much like it's always been. In fact I think there are more TEs now than ever before. Of course not all of them stay healthy or pan out, but that's just fantasy football.

The RB pool has diminished way more than TE has in recent years

You're pretty much just adding two guys to the WR 1/2 range and 10 guys to the WR3/4 range. TE and QB are the two positions that add high levels of variance and make draft strategy important. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I agree, that a wr/te flex would be a very good move.  

12 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Yeah I agree, that a wr/te flex would be a very good move.  

Enjoy your low IQ thinking leagues. Maybe you and AxeElf can join up

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brutal Brutus said:

You're pretty much just adding two guys to the WR 1/2 range and 10 guys to the WR3/4 range. TE and QB are the two positions that add high levels of variance and make draft strategy important. 

Yeah, that's a big part of the challenge.

I think some people just get such a woody drafting RBs and WRs that it's a big let down to think about anything else

It is a let down, my last four picks I must draft a streaming TE, QB,Def,Kicker. 

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

Yeah, that's a big part of the challenge.

I think some people just get such a woody drafting RBs and WRs that it's a big let down to think about anything else

Again- it's because people just want things to be easier rather than having to do actual strategy. weepaws is not a big thinker so of course he is all for this. 

• Thanks 1

Ok how about this, take away the Qb slot. 

And go a flex, Qb/Def& Kicker. So one can start a Qb , or go with a combo of Def/Kicker, takes care of two late round draft picks in one move.  

Yeah, people wanna make things as easy as possible nowadays.

Too fat and/or lazy to get in the car & drive to the fast food restaurant ? No problem...U can have it delivered now.

Of course they don't have a job (they can barely walk) so they're on all kinds of government services already. Maybe our politicians could introduce a bill to subsidize their fantasy football management as well ?

Give them a direct payment so they can pay someone to draft and manage the team for them throughout the year, while they slowly become fused to the La-Z-Boy they live in :)

At the risk of hijacking, a thread where Axeelf is sucking his own cack in another thread. I noticed that Dulcich is on waivers and I have fourth priority.

I’ve been streaming tight ends…..is Greg worth blowing my waiver priority on? I honestly haven’t watch much of him or Denver.

• Haha 1

He was pretty good until this past week...when I used him. That was that!

But, I'm not using him this week so you should be good to go! Expect a 8/110/2 line.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Axeelf is sucking his own cack

is Greg worth blowing

There's something deeply Freudian going on here...

• Haha 1

Back to tight ends ... with kupp out and Stafford back from his concussion...,Higbee should have a productive day 

27 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

Back to tight ends ... with kupp out and Stafford back from his concussion...,Higbee should have a productive day 

He should and he has a pretty favorable schedule the rest of the way. Even with Kupp there he had 5 weeks of 8 targets or more and 3 games he had double digit fantasy points. 

New Orleans this week is a bad fantasy matchup on paper as they've given up the fewest points to opposing tight ends. But after that it is Kansas City (10th most points to tight ends), Seattle (most points to tight ends), and Las Vegas (5th most points to tight ends)

Higbee is going too see more targets, if he can catch the ball is the issue.  

Higbee has caught 67% of the passes thrown his way this season.

As a comparison point- Justin Jefferson has caught 69%. Mark Andrews has caught 66%

Now he needs to keep it that way.  

He showed last week that he’ll see more targets, and he caught 8 passes out of eight targets, he’s going to be a blessing to those that own him.  

I kinda like Jefferson also, but he doesn’t seem like a high volume target type wr, and with the oline being horrible, I’m not sure he gets a lot more targets then he did last season. 

I like Robinson the most.  

45 minutes ago, Captain Goomy Noomy Roo said:

You have to adjust and respond as with any other FFB position.  No...Do not remove TEs and do not remove Ks just because we sometimes experience bad luck.

Kickers are a lot more luck than TE’s.  TE’s aren’t any more luck than WR or RB, it’s just that the depth is horrible.  I could kinda see not including kickers, but even that I think is dumb.

I did drop Pitts today, so expect him to come back to life for the rest of the season.