Sign in to follow this  
Gratefulegg1973

Tight Ends

On 11/15/2022 at 7:28 PM, TimHauck said:

Anyone dropping Pitts?  I have Hockenson and am thinking of dropping Pitts for a kicker since don’t really want to drop Succop..

I dropped Pitts 2-3 weeks ago.  Starting Muth now.  

Don't know much about Mcbride but I'm starting him over higbee

We still don’t know much about him. 

Lol atleast I picked the right loser 1 point Mcbride 0 for hig  ..that's why you grab kelce with your 1st pick 😊

No you picked McBride, so that’s why you would waste a first pick on a te.  

On 11/15/2022 at 12:30 PM, Gratefulegg1973 said:

Anybody ever remember a year like this for tight ends?  I don't.  I'm in 3 leagues.  Here are/were my TEs:

Waller

Andrews

Goedert

Ertz

Everett

Kittle hasn't been good.  Pitts sucks.  Maybe it's time this position be eliminated for fantasy, or at least combined with WRs?

I disagree.   this makes it more challenging.   

if you know how to value  your players, you will turn out okay.  Just like any other position, the player needs to be worth the draft (or auction) capital spent on that player.

if you over estimate a players worth at the draft table, you will inevitably pay for it during the season.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if you over estimate a players worth at the draft table, you will inevitably pay for it during the season.

If your statement here is in relation to the TEs mentioned, then I do not believe that the problem is how they are ranked or valued due to each of them having health issues

I like the wr/te slot.  

If anyone needs a tight end to close out the year- see if Hunter Henry is available on your waiver wire go grab him. 

His remaining schedule and the points the defense gives up to the position and their rank:

Buffalo (27th most points against tight ends, 7.65 points- the worst matchup)

Arizona (2nd most points against tight ends, 16.17 points)

Las Vegas (6th most points, 12.03 points)

Cincinnati (15th most points, 10.29 points)

Miami (5th most points, 13 points)

So 3 top 10 matchup (2 in the top 5) and the two bad matchups are probably in games where New England could conceivably be chasing points. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 12:56 PM, Bier Meister said:

If your statement here is in relation to the TEs mentioned, then I do not believe that the problem is how they are ranked or valued due to each of them having health issues

the statement was a general one.   it not only applies to these players, it applies to every player you will ever pick.

in the end, when you overvalue a player you spend too much draft capital on them and need to make that up with other players who do better than anticipated or make some good free agent/waiver wire pickups to make up for the goofup.

I went to FFToday half ppr scoring for te. 

Last season the top 12 in points avg 10 points per game , so far this season the avg of the top 12 is 9.5.  

.5 isn’t anything.  

I know many have posted on here that their leagues have gone with a wr/te slot. I hope to have that be the norm for the leagues I’m in next season.  Probably going to just in my two biggest money leagues next season , I’m in four right now, but I’m going to take a slight break. 

2 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Tight ends spot should stay. This was just an unfortunate year for them. It happens.

Moving to a WR/TE spot is silly. 

depends on how its done.   I have one league where we start 1 TE, 2 WR and one WR/TE flex.    99% of the time that flex spot is a WR, but a couple have tried to double up the TE.   I think its a good way to do it.  but to eliminate the TE in favour of the flex spot probably makes things less interesting as only a handful of TE would be startable in this format.   so a person could effectively just forget about the position if they cant get a top 3 or 4 TE.

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

depends on how its done.   I have one league where we start 1 TE, 2 WR and one WR/TE flex.    99% of the time that flex spot is a WR, but a couple have tried to double up the TE.   I think its a good way to do it.  but to eliminate the TE in favour of the flex spot probably makes things less interesting as only a handful of TE would be startable in this format.   so a person could effectively just forget about the position if they cant get a top 3 or 4 TE.

weepaws wants to completely eliminate the TE spot in favor of WR/TE...that is silly. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

weepaws wants to completely eliminate the TE spot in favor of WR/TE...that is silly. 

well, it really depends what the league wants and how they set it up, but if you do that with teams only starting 2 WR, probably no more than 4 or 5 TE will get starts over the course of the year.

ideally  the flex spot for a TE works best when you have a deeper lineup.

probably would work best if you start 3 WR  and then your WR/TE flex is relevant because many of the top 10 TE will outscore the #36 ranked WR on any given week.

Going to 1.5 ppr for tes makes the position more fantasy relevant.

Two Rbs, Two WRs, one flex Rb/Wr/Te, and one Flex Wr/Te, I don’t want to get rid of people drafting TE, I like it when they do, and the earlier the better, just more Rbs/ WRs for me, but I just want to eliminate a TE slot.  But with two flexes open too Te the Te won’t be eliminated overall. 

Silly me.  

Hunter Bryant with Njoku out if you are desperate. With Mike White at QB Conklin might be good for 3-4 and a possible score. I grabbed Moreau in one league, Thomas in another and Engram after losing Goedert Ertz and I forget who else to injury.

Taysom Hill had one monster game this year and he may have one more in him

On 12/2/2022 at 8:26 PM, DrG said:

Hunter Bryant with Njoku out if you are desperate. With Mike White at QB Conklin might be good for 3-4 and a possible score. I grabbed Moreau in one league, Thomas in another and Engram after losing Goedert Ertz and I forget who else to injury.

Juwan Johnon is out with an ankle; projected return week 15. I'm hoping you're correct, as my TE slot has been a wasteland the entire year.

On 12/2/2022 at 8:26 PM, DrG said:

Bryant or higbee ?

I'm all aboard the Conklin "Hype" (garbage) train. In my 14 man league where I already lost Ertz and Njoku... there is just nothing out there unless an Otton or Brock Wright dart throw hits.... ooof

Getting rid of TE would be stupid.

I disagree with getting rid of kickers too, but I somewhat understand that as picking kickers has way more luck involved.

Being able to find a good TE off the scrap heap, or still being able to field a good team after drafting Kelce, takes way more strategy.  Hopefully I don’t jinx him but I’m guessing someone like Hockenson is on a lot of successful rosters.   In my main league I actually drafted him after already taking Pitts since I thought he was a good value, which has really helped me even though I was skeptical of myself for doing it at the time.

5 hours ago, IMMensaMind said:

Juwan Johnon is out with an ankle; projected return week 15. I'm hoping you're correct, as my TE slot has been a wasteland the entire year.

Sat Dulcich (14.5 points in my league), so a pre-emptive FU goes out to Taysom Hil....:mad:

See with no TE slot that wouldn’t have been an issue.  

I hope at least one of two leagues I’m in goes for it.  

On 12/4/2022 at 6:47 PM, weepaws said:

See with no TE slot that wouldn’t have been an issue.  

I hope at least one of two leagues I’m in goes for it.  

Taysom outscored Dulcich by less than a point lol

I had the top two scoring TE's in the league this week 

3 hours ago, IMMensaMind said:

Taysom outscored Dulcich by less than a point lol

I had the top two scoring TE's in the league this week 

You’re welcome, just proves why one shouldn’t draft a single digit round te, wait until the double digit rounds and stream. Both of those te where streamers.  

Congrats on doing it the right way. 

On 12/4/2022 at 11:52 AM, TimHauck said:

Getting rid of TE would be stupid.

I disagree with getting rid of kickers too, but I somewhat understand that as picking kickers has way more luck involved.

Being able to find a good TE off the scrap heap, or still being able to field a good team after drafting Kelce, takes way more strategy.  Hopefully I don’t jinx him but I’m guessing someone like Hockenson is on a lot of successful rosters.   In my main league I actually drafted him after already taking Pitts since I thought he was a good value, which has really helped me even though I was skeptical of myself for doing it at the time.

I think kickers should be grouped in with the defense.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

You’re welcome, just proves why one shouldn’t draft a single digit round te, wait until the double digit rounds and stream. Both of those te where streamers.  

Congrats on doing it the right way. 

If that ‘proves’ that wouldn’t all the times Kelce, and Andrews put up big weeks ‘prove’ that one shouldn’t wait until the double digit rounds to get their TE? The only thing your example proves is what a mess of contradictions your poor empty brain is actually full of…

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 9:52 AM, TimHauck said:

there is a certain amount of luck with kickers, but if you look there are certain coaches who kick FG's far more often than others.   for example any Kicker playing for the Patriots generally is always top 10 for kickers.   even today.    so a certain amount of this is predictable but predicting week to week is a bit of a dart throw.  I fully agree.

but like any position usually your top 5 or 6 stand above the rest nearly every year.   in a draft, if you take one of the first 3 or 4 kickers off the board you are likely able to set it and forget it.

I dont mind the streaming option either but I'm getting lazy as I get older so I lean towards the set it and forget it option (personal preference)

3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

there is a certain amount of luck with kickers, but if you look there are certain coaches who kick FG's far more often than others.   for example any Kicker playing for the Patriots generally is always top 10 for kickers.   even today.    so a certain amount of this is predictable but predicting week to week is a bit of a dart throw.  I fully agree.

but like any position usually your top 5 or 6 stand above the rest nearly every year.   in a draft, if you take one of the first 3 or 4 kickers off the board you are likely able to set it and forget it.

I dont mind the streaming option either but I'm getting lazy as I get older so I lean towards the set it and forget it option (personal preference)

I think there is definitely strategy with kickers, just less so than other positions.  For example targeting kickers that play in domes or warm weather (particularly for the FF playoffs).

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

I think there is definitely strategy with kickers, just less so than other positions.  For example targeting kickers that play in domes or warm weather (particularly for the FF playoffs).

In general I agree.

also denver kickers who seem to have a longer range at mile high due to altitude.   so streaming kickers who play in Denver is an option too.

and like I said, New England kickers are nearly always top 10 and they buck that trend.   but I guess there are exceptions to nearly every rule out there.  you just need to watch out for them.

25 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

In general I agree.

also denver kickers who seem to have a longer range at mile high due to altitude.   so streaming kickers who play in Denver is an option too.

and like I said, New England kickers are nearly always top 10 and they buck that trend.   but I guess there are exceptions to nearly every rule out there.  you just need to watch out for them.

Another variable for choosing a kicker. Look for teams who have a good offense, but struggle in the red zone.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

I streamed the 1st 5 weeks, then picked up Jason Myers. I kept him for all but his bye week. Incredibly consistent.  23 of 24    95.8%

The way everyone is going for 4th down these days, we should implement 4D (4th Down) scoring--any player converting a 4th down gets 1 pt. (QBs and WRs would each get 1 pt. on a pass play, like a 2-pt. conversion) and any DST forcing a turnover on downs gets 1 pt.

"Yeah, I got in this new PPR 4D league..."

What does that have to do with TEs, you axe?

Nothing.  I just hijacked the thread.  We're all going to Cuba and there's nothing you can do about it.

15 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The way everyone is going for 4th down these days, we should implement 4D (4th Down) scoring--any player converting a 4th down gets 1 pt.

well, you are onto something on the 4th down thing.

one thing I've thought about (but never done) is look into the teams that like to gamble on 4th rather than kick a FG.   those would be certainly teams to avoid.

but the other poster had a good point in picking solid offenses who struggle in the red zone.   provided they dont gamble on 4th down rather than kick a FG.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think kickers should be grouped in with the defense.

They are, does anyone take a kicker or a Def before their last two picks of a draft? Draft them late and stream  

I hope not. 

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

If that ‘proves’ that wouldn’t all the times Kelce, and Andrews put up big weeks ‘prove’ that one shouldn’t wait until the double digit rounds to get their TE? The only thing your example proves is what a mess of contradictions your poor empty brain is actually full of…

FF owners can easily win without Kelce and Andrews.  

Do you own a winning FF team? And do you own Kelce or Andrews on those teams? 

A lot of owners who own winning records and will be heading into the playoffs without  Kelce and Andrews proves that ones can wait and stream.  

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

A lot of owners who own winning records and will be heading into the playoffs without  Kelce and Andrews proves that ones can wait and stream.  

Thanks. 

I don't think you understand the point he was making. 

Just now, weepaws said:

Thanks. 

Sure, there is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. It is only the foolish ones who use words like never or always when incorporating Fantasy football strategy... The king of fools is one who repeatedly states that fantasy football is 100% luck and then proceeds to post absolutes concerning strategy... Thanks...

• Like 1