Sign in to follow this  
craftsman

Pennsylvania Tesla bursts into flames, photos show unrecognizable metal husk

The future is looking bright. And hot.

Firefighters said it took more than twice as long to extinguish the flames as a normal vehicle fire

A Tesla burst into flames on a Pennsylvania highway late Tuesday morning, burning so hot as to only be recognizable by its rims, firefighters said. 

Multiple fire departments were dispatched to a vehicle fire at Mile Marker 137 on Interstate 80 Westbound in Cooper Township just before 11 a.m. Tuesday. 

Because of the electric vehicle’s lithium battery, extinguishing the fire took around 12,000 gallons of water. Typically, crews can extinguish a vehicle fire with around 500 gallons of water or less. 

Firefighters spent around two hours extinguishing the flames as the vehicle would continue to reignite and burn fierce at times, the Morris Township Volunteer Fire Company said. 

The fire company said the vehicle burned so hot for so long that if not for the rims, they may not have known it was a vehicle. 

Crews worked to extinguish the flames until Bigler Boyz removed the vehicle from the roadway. 

Columbia Volunteer Fire Company said it was the first known Tesla fire in the area. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/pennsylvania-tesla-bursts-flames-photos-show-unrecognizable-metal-husk

My friend has a Tesla and I rode with him while it "self drove".  The first few minutes felt nervous, but after a while you start trusting it. Easy to see how people get complacent.

In any case, my friend is a terrible driver. When he drives normally, he speeds, tailgates, plays on his phone, tinkers with the radio or AC and rarely looks at the road. We're ALL better off letting the car drive.

Fock those Teslas. I'll keep on driving my gas guzzling 1974 Pinto. 

3 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

My friend has a Tesla and I rode with him while it "self drove".  The first few minutes felt nervous, but after a while you start trusting it. Easy to see how people get complacent.

In any case, my friend is a terrible driver. When he drives normally, he speeds, tailgates, plays on his phone, tinkers with the radio or AC and rarely looks at the road. We're ALL better off letting the car drive.

Better solution: Don't give driver's licenses to people who speed, tailgate, play on their phones, tinker with their radios or AC units and rarely look at the road.

I wonder if Fetterman is slowly shaking his head and making the Lurch sound.....