Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

Broncos Release Melvin Gordon

One owner in one of my leagues own Benjamin and Gordon when both where released. 

The Broncos are woefully managed.

The pay tons to ride with a washed QB. There were signs.

They had two effective RBs that topped 900 rushing and 200 receiving yards last year only two make both unusable this year.

1 RB gets hurt, you bring in 2 more.

1 of those gets hurt and will miss time so you cut 1 of the RBs from last year, leaving you with 1 semi-usable RB - who is old himself.

Just sad.

2 hours ago, Law said:

The Broncos are woefully managed.

The pay tons to ride with a washed QB. There were signs.

They had two effective RBs that topped 900 rushing and 200 receiving yards last year only two make both unusable this year.

1 RB gets hurt, you bring in 2 more.

1 of those gets hurt and will miss time so you cut 1 of the RBs from last year, leaving you with 1 semi-usable RB - who is old himself.

Just sad.

Yeah, that's right. That's why I didn't jump the gun on the Javonte Williams hype this preseason. I know he's good but that team...

Don't forget they also have two young, supposedly elite talents at WR that are going to waste too. Just a team to avoid

Yea bought the Williams hype and someone  offered me King Henry and the Packer TE  for Williams and Pitts in week three. Like a FF loser I passed and said oh my guys will come around. 🤪 now I have both in injury limbo. Not that anyone cares but grabbed Murray off waivers weeks ago but haven’t played him much. 

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

Denver has the worst head coach I've seen in the NFL in a long time.

Yes, Hackett has screwed up way more than Gordon - I wonder why he hasn't been waived.

Lol the Broncos really have been awful.  

But isn’t it Elway that brought in Wilson. Ps I’ve never own either one of them in ff.  

Just received a email that the Rams let Henderson go. Another player released that had started on some ones ff team at some point.  

On 11/21/2022 at 6:42 PM, Gepetto said:

Denver has the worst head coach I've seen in the NFL in a long time.

Eh not sure if he was even the worst to start this season (Rhule)

26 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Eh not sure if he was even the worst to start this season (Rhule)

Possibly.  Hard for me to say as Carolina was never on TV in my part of the country so I couldn't watch them.  Denver has way more talent as well.

yeah the broncos have had a lot of issues.

I figured Gordon was on the outs when they didnt initially offer him a contract going with Javonte.   but he decided to come back and play a smaller role, and Javonte got hurt.

it is odd that a RB who has historically been sure handed suddenly developed a fumbling issue.  I guess that can happen with age but it took me offguard.   Rushing for only 3.5 yards per carry didnt help his cause either.

but  there were some bad calls in some games too.  and when things go badly everyone looks for a scapegoat and hes that guy.   but make no mistake hes not the only reason the team has underperformed.

that said, I dont see a team signing him immediately.  his stats running the ball havnt been great, but his pass catching wasnt bad.    the fumbles I'm sure will scare a lot of teams off.

but in a pass catching role, I could see someone giving him a chance.   even if its only as the scat back in the hurry up offense.   but Gordon has to be willing to take the job. (he may not be)

Melvin Gordon hasn't lost a fumble since week 4 Oct 2nd.  He then had 5 games without a fumble, and then Sunday he fumbled but the Broncos recovered it.

3 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Melvin Gordon hasn't lost a fumble since week 4 Oct 2nd.  He then had 5 games without a fumble, and then Sunday he fumbled but the Broncos recovered it.

Melvin Gordon has fumbled five (5) times this season, on 115 touches.  Oh, but he only lost two of them.  Ok.  He also fumbled 3 times in 2021 on 231 touches, losing all three.

Latavius Murray has 86 touches in 2022, 0 fumbles.

...129 touches in 2021, 0 fumbles.

...175 touches in 2020, 1 fumble (0 lost).

...186 touches in 2019, 0 fumbles.

...162 touches in 2018, 0 fumbles.

...260 touches  in 2017, 1 fumble (in the first game of the season; 0 lost)

So Melvin Gordon's 5 game fumble-free streak really isn't all that impressive.

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

yeah the broncos have had a lot of issues.

I figured Gordon was on the outs when they didnt initially offer him a contract going with Javonte.   but he decided to come back and play a smaller role, and Javonte got hurt.

it is odd that a RB who has historically been sure handed suddenly developed a fumbling issue.  I guess that can happen with age but it took me offguard.   Rushing for only 3.5 yards per carry didnt help his cause either.

but  there were some bad calls in some games too.  and when things go badly everyone looks for a scapegoat and hes that guy.   but make no mistake hes not the only reason the team has underperformed.

that said, I dont see a team signing him immediately.  his stats running the ball havnt been great, but his pass catching wasnt bad.    the fumbles I'm sure will scare a lot of teams off.

but in a pass catching role, I could see someone giving him a chance.   even if its only as the scat back in the hurry up offense.   but Gordon has to be willing to take the job. (he may not be)

A playoff contender I think will pick him up.  He would be a asset in the passing game.  

36 minutes ago, rallo said:

Ravens makes some sense, not sure about cap space etc. 

Yeah, I think the Ravens are down to 12 RBs, they could definitely use a few more washed up has-beens.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Eagles I think would be a good spot. 

The Broncos need help at RB, maybe they can sign him.....

oh wait....

A playoff contender who might want insurance / someone decent to spell their top guy. If he can't stop fumbling, it won't matter though.  Off the top of my head

Jets
Eagles
Chargers reunion to back up Ekeler. 
Titans

On 11/23/2022 at 2:34 PM, AxeElf said:

Yeah, I think the Ravens are down to 12 RBs, they could definitely use a few more washed up has-beens.

I like injured RBs as much as AxeElf, but eventually they are going to need a warm body not named justice if they want to make any noise in the playoffs. Especially since they can't throw the ball.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Chiefs are expected to sign Melvin Gordon to their practice squad.

After getting cut by the Broncos on November 21st, Gordon went unclaimed on waivers but now finds himself playing for his old AFC West rivals. Rookie Isiah Pacheco has rushed 53 times for 258 yards and one touchdown over the last three weeks and should continue to serve as the team's lead back going forward. There's a good chance Gordon is nothing more than insurance behind Jerick McKinnon with Clyde Edwards-Helaire being sidelined for at least three more games. This season with the Broncos, Gordon rushed 90 times for 318 yards and two touchdowns while also fumbling five times. Even if he's promoted to the active roster, Gordon will be hard to trust for fantasy purposes.

... See More
RELATED: 
Nov 28, 2022, 4:17 PM ET
  •  
  •  

23 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Was hoping the NIners would pick him up :wall:

Don't think it would matter......he'd almost certainly suffer a knee injury the day he arrived in SF

22 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

Don't think it would matter......he'd almost certainly suffer a knee injury the day he arrived in SF

:wall:

• Like 1

Gordon would be a very good fit with KC.  

I still own him on two ppr teams, I wanted to see who picked him up, let’s all hope he does get picked  up my KC.  

Kansas City really doesn't have a reliable goal-line fumbler on their team.  As a Wisconsin RB who scored 0 TDs as a rookie, Gordon can be counted on in that capacity--you know, like when it's right before the half, and you could dunk the ball in the end zone to take a commanding lead to the locker room, or you can give up a 99-yard scoop and score the other way, just to be sporting and keep things exciting--that's when you call on Gordon.

He’s going to be a good addition to the passing game.  

19 hours ago, weepaws said:

He’s going to be a good addition to the passing game.  

for sure.   I think given his 3.5 YPC in his previous home, that may be how they use him.   

I cant see them running him between the tackles a whole lot if hes only getting 3.5 per carry.

22 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Kansas City really doesn't have a reliable goal-line fumbler on their team.  As a Wisconsin RB who scored 0 TDs as a rookie, Gordon can be counted on in that capacity--you know, like when it's right before the half, and you could dunk the ball in the end zone to take a commanding lead to the locker room, or you can give up a 99-yard scoop and score the other way, just to be sporting and keep things exciting--that's when you call on Gordon.

A+

Perhaps his fumbles were on purpose. I would fumble my way out of Denver too, if given the chance.