Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye21

Custom PC Build

Do any of you have much experience with building your own gaming PC?  I'm going build a new gaming PC with my son for his Christmas present this year.  It's been about 8 years since I built my last one so I do have a little experience.  I've been doing some research and looking on pcpartpicker a lot.  This is the recent configuration I came up with but was looking for some opinions from people who know more.  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xHrHDq

:wave: 

Looks good, what resolution/refresh rate does your son want to play video games at?

I assume you have a monitor already? Are you planning on reusing that monitor, if so what is it rated for?

This should determine how much you should spend on your video card imo.

8 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

Don't forget the cooler for the cpu!

The cpu has a cooler so I haven't decided on getting a better one or not.

12 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Looks good, what resolution/refresh rate does your son want to play video games at?

I assume you have a monitor already? Are you planning on reusing that monitor, if so what is it rated for?

This should determine how much you should spend on your video card imo.

He hooks the current PC up to a 26" TV right now.

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

He hooks the current PC up to a 26" TV right now.

With that crappy of display there is no point in going above a 3060 unless you planning on changing that out in the future.  Not that there is anything wrong with a crappy display for a kid. You have to set budgets, etc.

I think your build looks pretty good.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

With that crappy of display there is no point in going above a 3060 unless you planning on changing that out in the future.  Not that there is anything wrong with a crappy display for a kid. You have to set budgets, etc.

I think your build looks pretty good.

I can get a new display at any time.  Right now I'm just trying to figure out the best components that will work together.  Want to have a good frame rate.

Looks good. Just a couple of suggestions:

Add more RAM 32GB

Add another 2TB SSD for storage. You're gonna want to put your steam games on that drive.

The power supply is fine but could limit your GPU upgrade options down the road.

You should get a motherboard that is DDR5 compatible, that will be the standard in a year or two.

Get a better case, NZXT or Corsair.

Probably should get a water cooler too, 3xxx cards run pretty hot.

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Looks good. Just a couple of suggestions:

Add more RAM 32GB

Add another 2TB SSD for storage. You're gonna want to put your steam games on that drive.

The power supply is fine but could limit your GPU upgrade options down the road.

A 2TB boot drive? 😕

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

A 2TB boot drive? 😕

No "add another 2TB SSD" He should add a second SSD. Steam games take up a ton of space and will save him a headache later down the road.

• Like 1

You might research AMD processors/MBs.  They've pretty much blown Intel away from a performance/$ standpoint the last few years.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

You might research AMD processors/MBs.  They've pretty much blown Intel away from a performance/$ standpoint the last few years.

Intel is still the better product

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

I've been reading the same thing. Cheaper and better. That being said I'm a intel/Nvidea fan boy.

Out of all my mining rigs my AMD 5700xt ran super smooth. My Nvidea 3070 rig always gave me issues. 

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

Intel is still the better product

I would dispute that Intel is "better."  But it's been a couple years since I built my most recent PC's.  At that time Ryzen was kicking the crap out of Intel in all facets.  But apparently Intel has reversed that trend:

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-vs-intel-cpus

So I will retract my recommendation of going AMD over Intel.  Seems like a healthy back and forth competition with Intel leading at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

I would dispute that Intel is "better."  But it's been a couple years since I built my most recent PC's.  At that time Ryzen was kicking the crap out of Intel in all facets.  But apparently Intel has reversed that trend:

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-vs-intel-cpus

So I will retract my recommendation of going AMD over Intel.  Seems like a healthy back and forth competition with Intel leading at the moment.

Intel is better, here are the benchmarks

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

They dominate the top 50.  AMD is only better if you're doing a "budget" build.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Do any of you have much experience with building your own gaming PC?  I'm going build a new gaming PC with my son for his Christmas present this year.  It's been about 8 years since I built my last one so I do have a little experience.  I've been doing some research and looking on pcpartpicker a lot.  This is the recent configuration I came up with but was looking for some opinions from people who know more.  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xHrHDq

I bought a beelink computer for a little over $200 and found a copy of Wreckfest magically on the internet. 😉 Works fine with my big screen TV. I am wondering if the processor is causing the game to be slow in some areas of certain tracks or if that is just the way it functions because most of the tracks are fine.

Wreckfest is the greatest.

Also loaded every game I ever played in the 70s & 80s using launchbox and downloading a rom pack.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The cpu has a cooler so I haven't decided on getting a better one or not.

If it's intended for gaming I would definitely go with an aftermarket, higher end cooler. 

• Like 1

damn,  you guys are in poverty?  the only reason to build your own is to save a few hundred bucks.  i  picked up a gaming rig from microcenter in tustin, CA.  works amazing.  

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

damn,  you guys are in poverty?  the only reason to build your own is to save a few hundred bucks.  i  picked up a gaming rig from microcenter in tustin, CA.  works amazing.  

What does poverty have to do with anything?  I'm doing this because it's a fun thing to do with my son.  Saving some money is just a bonus.

3 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Yes, I built my 5k PC in section 8 housing 

3 hours ago, Strike said:

👍🏼

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What does poverty have to do with anything?  I'm doing this because it's a fun thing to do with my son.  Saving some money is just a bonus.

You don't even really save money. A lot of those pre-builts use good GPU and CPUs but skimp on the RAM and MB. I guarantee Justin doesn't know what kind of MB or RAM his pre-built has.

5 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I've been building and working on my own PC's since the 80286 CPU came out.  I enjoy it and much like working on my cars, I trust myself more than someone with no skin in the game working on my stuff.  Additionally, the problem with prebuilt systems is you're stuck with the components the manufacturer chose for you, instead of being able to customize to exactly your needs. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

the overwhelming majority of people do it because they are poor

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

You don't even really save money. A lot of those pre-builts use good GPU and CPUs but skimp on the RAM and MB. I guarantee Justin doesn't know what kind of MB or RAM his pre-built has.

Yep.  I've seen some pre-made ones that have almost the same components except for RAM and storage.

Just now, JustinCharge said:

I doubt that. 

4 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Yes, I built my 5k PC in section 8 housing 

i dont know what you need that for unless you are a rocket scientist.  and even if you were, youd have more than enough money to get it prebuilt.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Yep.  I've seen some pre-made ones that have almost the same components except for RAM and storage.

Yep, that's how they get you. Top of the line GPU/CPU, everything else trash 

im a computer programmer....i probably know more than  anyone here.  hell i can write stuff in assembler and have gone thru plenty of computers and systems.

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

This is so far from the truth I can't tell if you're trolling 

im a computer programmer....

Then why don't know you know you're talking about?

If you can save some money building your PC and have fun doing it, there’s no reason not to. It’s so easy. It can be as simple as taking a pre existing one with a good case and upgrading parts. 
i just added ram to mine recently 

What do you base this on?  Unless you're building a PC for under $500 you are most likely not poor.  Most of the people I see doing it are spending $1,000 to $4,000 on their builds.  I'm assuming they are not poor.

Then why don't know you know you're talking about?

i think YOU dont know.  people put custom building on some pedestal whe its really overblown.  i get incredible performance on junk pcs and junk parts and people say im lying because they are idiots.

thats one thing ive learned in life.  when im really an expert on something with decades of experience, believe me i can spot the peoploe who are liars.  ive even gone into detail on some topics and the room will laugh at me saying im a fool. then i show fellow coworkers in the field and we just shake our heads at how dumb everyone is.  been thru that a lot.

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

If you can save some money building your PC and have fun doing it, there’s no reason not to. It’s so easy. It can be as simple as taking a pre existing one with a good case and upgrading parts. 
i just added ram to mine recently 

I think Justin thinks he's better than people who enjoy building their own.

i think YOU dont know.  people put custom building on some pedestal whe its really overblown.  i get incredible performance on junk pcs and junk parts and people say im lying because they are idiots.

My definition of incredible performance and your definition of incredible performance is completely different.

What "junk" parts are you getting incredible performance on and how? Seriously enlighten me