Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye21

Custom PC Build

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

Has he mentioned any games he wants to play? Because if he is a kid that wants to play Elden Ring its a different build than if he wants to play Val

I don't think he's into Elden Rings. 

Having good wifi is important because we don't have ethernet to where he wants to put it.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Having good wifi is important because we don't have ethernet to where he wants to put it.

How old is your son?

I have a 3k PC and play Super Auto Pets and watch youtube on it. :lol:

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

If he isn't playing the latest titles that eat your PC I would go with a 2000 series card with a Ryzen 3600. You can get a 3600 pretty cheap and the 2000 series is still very very respectable.

Also if you have Microcenter.com near you I'd check them out. 

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

Also if you have Microcenter.com near you I'd check them out. 

None near me.  I'll be buying everything online.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I would then go with a better mother board that supports a newer gen processor/RAM and then go with the 3050 to save some money.

The computer will still be playable 5 years from now when he goes to college, however by then you will probably need to do some minor upgrades. In the short term going with the 3050(or 2060) is not much of a downside because it powers the current games just fine. Even for a faster paced game like fortnite the 3050 will work just fine.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

I would then go with a better mother board that supports a newer gen processor/RAM and then go with the 3050 to save some money.

The computer will still be playable 5 years from now when he goes to college, however by then you will probably need to do some minor upgrades. In the short term going with the 3050(or even 2050 or 2060) is not much of a downside because it powers the current games just fine. Even for a faster paced game like fortnite the 3050 will work just fine.

He does play Fortnite as well but on his Switch.

My son plays fortnite on a computer with the 3050 and my daughter's computer has a 3060. Both of those are overkill for fortnite. A 1050 would work just fine to be honest.

I would use the savings on video card for future proofing motherboard as per @iam90sbaby previous suggestion as well.

• Like 1

Pretty solid.  You don't think the RAM is overkill?

It's DDR5 you won't find much better. I wouldn't be cheap on RAM or storage. When those go bad it focking sucks.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I remember most of the systems I have ever built. One of my favorite was a twin processor celeron running Windows 2000. I was always the host of the game when I would go to LAN parties. Even though they were slow chips, the dual proc's allowed me to host and play at the same time.

This was prior to dedicated servers becoming mainstream.

Did you ever play 1.6 or the quake CS mod in 99-00 at a LAN? If so I'm pretty jealous 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Also, he should want to play on his computer once he gets that. It is pretty effortless to hook a xbox controller to a computer if your son prefers computer controls. The computer is a much better experience than a switch for fortnite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Pretty solid.  You don't think the RAM is overkill?

Nope. Windows OS and internet browsers are RAM hungry. 32GB is needed IMO

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Nope. Windows OS and internet browsers are RAM hungry. 32GB is needed IMO

Speaking of Windows OS, which do you recommend and what's the best way to get it.  I read that you can get a code to download it for like $20.

54 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Did you ever play 1.6 or the quake CS mod in 99-00 at a LAN? If so I'm pretty jealous 

I know you are a huge CS fan, however I always preferred Unreal Tournament mods to HL mods. The graphics engine was tons better on UT than Half Life and I had a gaming rig back then that would run UT at the highest settings. I played a ripoff of CS on UT called StrikeForce, which was not as popular but looked tons better.

There is a reason epic made it big and there graphics engines were always top notch.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Speaking of Windows OS, which do you recommend and what's the best way to get it.  I read that you can get a code to download it for like $20.

Basic windows 10. Be careful of those $20 codes they could work but are probably stolen.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

How tech savvy does your son want to be?

One option is to learn Linux/Windows dual boot. This is 100% on my to do list with my kids when they get old enough.

Another tech option but not quite so extreme would be to go to windows 10 pro. The reason is that it allows remote logging, bitlocker, and virtual machines. I have server guys for that now and just send an email if i need a new virtual machine, but it is something I wish I would learn how to do.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

How tech savvy does your son want to be?

One option is to learn Linux/Windows dual boot. This is 100% on my to do list with my kids when they get old enough.

Another tech option but not quite so extreme would be to go to windows 10 pro. The reason is that it allows remote logging, bitlocker, and virtual machines. I have server guys for that now and just send an email if i need a new virtual machine, but it is something I wish I would learn how to do.

I think we would just stick with Windows.

1 hour ago, iam90sbaby said:

Has he mentioned any games he wants to play? Because if he is a kid that wants to play Elden Ring its a different build than if he wants to play Val

Not to hijack the thread, but what is Val?

35 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I know you are a huge CS fan, however I always preferred Unreal Tournament mods to HL mods. The graphics engine was tons better on UT than Half Life and I had a gaming rig back then that would run UT at the highest settings. I played a ripoff of CS on UT called StrikeForce, which was not as popular but looked tons better.

There is a reason epic made it big and there graphics engines were always top notch.

Unreal engine was miles better than the goldsrc engine the original CS was built. Unreal Tournament 2 was actually one of the first games I ever played, I didn't picked up CS until Source was 3-4 years old. Nowadays Unreal still has the better graphics but there is something crisp and clean with the movement on the source engine that other engines can't replicate.

24 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Not to hijack the thread, but what is Val?

Valorant, not my thing but a lot of people love it 

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

Valorant, not my thing but a lot of people love it 

That's what I assumed, but wasn't sure.  I was curious if you decided to play it.  I did during beta and for about 9 months after, but haven't since.

4 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

That's what I assumed, but wasn't sure.  I was curious if you decided to play it.  I did during beta and for about 9 months after, but haven't since.

I played during beta and the first few seasons. I got to platinum and went back to CS.  I just don't really like class based shooters, where certain characters have certain abilities. They all end up getting too complicated for their own good. I like when everyone is the same and it's 100% gun fights / utility, no bullsh!t.

My son and I built our new PC today and it went great. We had a good time building it and he’s very happy with it. 

• Like 2

I used to build my own pcs back in the day.  A decent mobo and certain chipsets would eliminate alot of bottlenecks in the speed dept.  I havent built one in 10 yrs.  Mine is still rockin and plays all my steam games just fine.  Newer stuff plays on my ps5 lol.  Plus I am old and not into gaming rig as much as I used to.

• Like 1