edjr

Black Friday starts early at Vagina Walmart. - 6 shot dead

5 minutes ago, peenie said:

I’ve heard about this shooting and honestly I assumed the shooter and most victims were white. There doesn’t seem to be any bias in the reporting of the story other than THIS thread. I find it strange that in all the posts about mass shootings, this is one of the only times the thread was titled in a humorous way. That alone let ME know the shooter and victims were likely black. 

The (seemingly targeted) victims are a mixture of white and black.  Which pretty much rules out a racial angle:

Virginia Walmart gunman's manifesto claims he was 'betrayed' by coworkers he killed, felt 'led by' Satan

Walmart manager Andre Bing claims he was 'harassed' by the colleagues he is accused of killing in Chesapeake, Virginia

Bing wrote that he "was harassed by idiots with low intelligence and a lack of wisdom," 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-walmart-gunman-manifesto-says-he-was-betrayed-coworkers-he-killed-felt-led-satan

this is the same line used by half dozen posters on this board. They must be in the same "cult".

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

Virginia Walmart gunman's manifesto claims he was 'betrayed' by coworkers he killed, felt 'led by' Satan

Walmart manager Andre Bing claims he was 'harassed' by the colleagues he is accused of killing in Chesapeake, Virginia

Bing wrote that he "was harassed by idiots with low intelligence and a lack of wisdom," 

I think there needs to be more real emotional help for people at work. Dealing with folks at work can be hard and frustrating.

4 minutes ago, peenie said:

I think there needs to be more real emotional help for people at work. Dealing with folks at work can be hard and frustrating.

I suggest there are things that sustain us through tough times.  Family, religion, challenges that strengthen us.....to name a few.

The ongoing destruction of the nuclear family, of religion, of being forced to face the challenges of life instead of lament the secret forces aligned against us, do not prepare us to deal with the ever-present challenges of life.

There is value in many of the things that liberals dislike and remove.  JMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuckSwope said:

What numbers am I making up?  The numbers in the post you quoted are just a general example of differences between us and other countries.   I think I've been pretty clear and honest about stats and rates.  

Like I posted elsewhere, yes - part of the profile of a shooter like this is access to a gun or guns.  It's common sense, you need a gun to commit a shooting.    AR bans would maybe make a tiny dent, but IMO that is a silly place to start when the vast majority of mass shootings don't involve weapons like that.    It does very little, and I like to focus on solutions that have bigger impact.   The better way to address it is to increase the ability to identify and deny access to these shooters to guns, IMO.   But even that has problems because the common links for these types of shooters are also very common in the general public, so that will also be met with the same amount of opposition because it takes guns from a ton of people.    

You posted this:

For example, they might have 5 shootings in a year for 150 deaths.   We might have a stat more like 600 shootings for 900 deaths. It also makes it hard to make a 1:1 comparison because countries with similar or higher deaths/capita from mass shootings on average might also go 2-3 years without a mass shooting, where we do not.

You could look up the actual numbers instead of spitballing it.

This is from the story I linked: 

But there is one quirk that consistently puzzles America’s fans and critics alike. Why, they ask, does it experience so many mass shootings?

Perhaps, some speculate, it is because American society is unusually violent. Or its racial divisions have frayed the bonds of society. Or its citizens lack proper mental care under a health care system that draws frequent derision abroad.

These explanations share one thing in common: Though seemingly sensible, all have been debunked by research on shootings elsewhere in the world. Instead, an ever-growing body of research consistently reaches the same conclusion.

The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns.

21 minutes ago, dogcows said:

You posted this:

You could look up the actual numbers instead of spitballing it.

This is from the story I linked: 

Those weren't made up, those were numbers from France or Finland when I saw - eg 5 shootings for 150 deaths.  I saw stats like that as I looked at data from countries in Europe.  

6 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

Those weren't made up, those were numbers from France or Finland when I saw - eg 5 shootings for 150 deaths.  I saw stats like that as I looked at data from countries in Europe.  

Which country had 5 shootings for 150 deaths, over what timeframe?

From wiki:

That said, mass shootings actually comprise only a fraction of the overall gun deaths in the United States. In fact, roughly two-thirds of all gun-related deaths in the U.S. are suicides. In 2016, for example, 37,353 gun deaths occurred in the United States. Of these, 22,938 were suicides, and 14,415 were homicides. Within the homicides, 71 were classified as the result of a mass shooting.

I don't know how many mass shootings were in 2016, and understand the trend is increase.   The long and short of what my point was above is:

1. we have a different problem than other places so keep that in mind when looking at other countries and trying to compare.  We have way more mass shootings but they seem to tend to be less deadly.  Other countries have less frequent cases, but they seem to be more deadly on average.  That also effects their per capita ratings, and makes it seem more frequent at first look.  

2.  IF it's only guns like you seem to be pointing to, I'd think we would expect to see comparible rates for countries  For example, if France and Finland own guns at 1/2 the rate we do, wouldn't we expect countries like that to have 1/2 the rate we do for mass shootings in a year?  If so, how to we explain many of those countries going a year without a mass shooting?  

6 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Which country had 5 shootings for 150 deaths, over what timeframe?

If I remember right it was France or Finland as that example that an article mentioned.   I'd have to look at home at my history to remember the article I was looking at.  

HERE is a quick one talking about similar things.   There they use Norway as a big example of how the deaths/capita rankings should be looked at farther.   Norway is small, had one huge shooting in 2011 where 70 people died.  But no mass shootings in any other year from the 2009-2015, but they were #1 in deaths/capita for mass shootings.     

While having a much lower gun ownership rate, they still rank in the top 20 in the world for that stat.   What I was getting at is it's not like other places have 0 guns.   They have guns, but they can go years without a mass shooting.  What I am asking you is if it's ONLY guns and the amount owned, why would we see that low of a number of mass shootings in a year in other areas of the world that has decent gun ownership.   There have to be other factors.  

44 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Journalists Rush To Scene Of Shooting To Determine Whether It's Politically Useful

https://babylonbee.com/news/journalists-rush-to-scene-of-shooting-to-determine-whether-its-politically-useful

I wonder, do the "journalists" of today understand that they are increasingly seen as with this parody? I think they do not. I think they believe that simply because they have been hired that they have some protection from scrutiny, and if you dare to call them out on it you are somehow the evil one.

2 hours ago, RLLD said:

I suggest there are things that sustain us through tough times.  Family, religion, challenges that strengthen us.....to name a few.

The ongoing destruction of the nuclear family, of religion, of being forced to face the challenges of life instead of lament the secret forces aligned against us, do not prepare us to deal with the ever-present challenges of life.

Dude, step back from the edge before you do something stupid.  Your hatred of liberals permeates everything you post.

So you think liberals hate:  Religion, the Nuclear Family, Heterosexuals, Conservatives, etc.  Do you really think that?  Don't you think most liberals have a family they love and friends of all political persuasion?  Also, more catholics are liberal rather than conservative.

Conservatives like you who post the way you do and say things like liberals are groomers and pedos are doing real damage to our country.  Of course there are a few nutty liberals who have the views you posted, just like there are racist, violent, and intolerant conservatives who would turn the clock back to 1950 if they could.  You're making the mistake of applying a broad brush when in fact very very few liberals and conservatives are extreme.

C'mon friend. 

1 minute ago, Raven Fan said:

Dude, step back from the edge before you do something stupid.  Your hatred of liberals permeates everything you post.

So you think liberals hate:  Religion, the Nuclear Family, Heterosexuals, Conservatives, etc.  Do you really think that?  Don't you think most liberals have a family they love and friends of all political persuasion?  Also, more catholics are liberal rather than conservative.

Conservatives like you who post the way you do and say things like liberals are groomers and pedos are doing real damage to our country.  Of course there are a few nutty liberals who have the views you posted, just like there are racist, violent, and intolerant conservatives who would turn the clock back to 1950 if they could.  You're making the mistake of applying a broad brush when in fact very very few liberals and conservatives are extreme.

C'mon friend. 

I am fine, thank you for your concern. And yes liberalism is dominated by positions that create disconent in a variety of ways. Academia is the main source and it is polluting our young minds. Sadly.

Conservatives are not perfect, in fact no one is, but there are things believed in the left that distinguish liberals as being in a bad place right now.  

You seem concerned with the usage of a broad brush, I am as well, notably when it is asserted that white supremacy is the biggest problem we face.  It would be useful to stop pretending that. The worst policies come from the left, for now, and they are notable destructive to the people of this nation. 

11 hours ago, RLLD said:

Personal experiences and all, I just never got the fight about "nuclear" families.   I believe families need to be loving, supportive, involved, etc.   I have seen that accomplished a variety of ways.  

For every great traditional family, I knew parents that shouldn't have been together or abusive parents.  A separated but still amicable family is better than those situations.  Many of the abusive and unsupportive parents were also very religious.  I also knew many great, kind religious people. 

I just never saw one way of doing family and religion any better or worse than others.  

Our culture is highly individualistic.  I don't think it's a surprise a slow erosion of family would occur over time   We largely bolt  move away at 18, put mom and dad in homes, and put work a high priority.   That puts us at a disadvantage when trying to also keep families together.  

• Like 1

Looks like I was right again. This didn’t get nearly the coverage that the Buffalo shooting did. And Biden never made it over there.  

45 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Looks like I was right again. This didn’t get nearly the coverage that the Buffalo shooting did. And Biden never made it over there.  

10 > 6.  Did he go to Colorado Springs (I honestly don’t know)?