Sign in to follow this  
MLCKAA

Roomba and other robotic vacuums?

My in-laws spend like crazy at Christmas and I’m thinking about using the opportunity to get one of these.

Geeks with firsthand knowledge?

The holding area for dirt fills up quickly and constantly needs emptied. I used mine for a couple weeks before parking it in basement storage. Vacuuming is in a woman's genes. A robot vacuum may take some enjoyment out of your MIL's life. 

Thoroughly enjoyed throwing mine in the trash. Sad little POS made the "please help me I sucked up a shoelace" noise for hours in there. 

Work great. Get self emptying. Half price today. Wife, for Christmas, is getting another for upstairs. She just doesn’t know it yet. 😁

Had the shark one for pets. We have hardwood floors so it works pretty good. Occasionally gets stuck. Wife mainly deals with it 

We have a roborock s7 and love it.  I have it programmed to do the first floor every night at midnight.  Gets the dog hair mainly.  Has only got stuck once.  Great little unit.

They also have the ones that mop the floors too. We are looking at getting that one this year so we don’t have to mop as much 

Just now, Djgb13 said:

They also have the ones that mop the floors too. We are looking at getting that one this year so we don’t have to mop as much 

When I researched them last year, the prevailing thought was they don't do a good job.  Not sure if they better in a year, but it was pretty much just wiping a wet rag all over the floor.

I have a Roborock. Like it but they don’t seem to hold up super well. I’ve heard Roomba is more durable 

A number of years ago I had a Roomba for a while.  It had a couple of issues:

1)  As noted above the collection tray was pretty small so you had to empty it constantly.

2)  The first floor had a couple of step up/step down areas and the Roomba would get caught hanging over the step.  It wasn't good at recognizing a step and stopping early enough to avoid this.

This was close to 10 years ago so the newer ones may be improved. 

38 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Had the shark one for pets. 

You should get a dog or a cat. :dunno:

53 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

They also have ones that cook and do laundry.  It's called a wife. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DonS said:

They also have ones that cook and do laundry.  It's called a wife. 

Wife travels for work and travels over an hour. Worth it though cause she’s making over $2K/week after taxes 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Strike said:

A number of years ago I had a Roomba for a while.  It had a couple of issues:

1)  As noted above the collection tray was pretty small so you had to empty it constantly.

2)  The first floor had a couple of step up/step down areas and the Roomba would get caught hanging over the step.  It wasn't good at recognizing a step and stopping early enough to avoid this.

This was close to 10 years ago so the newer ones may be improved. 

Yes they improved.  Not much tech stays the same after 10 years.  Duh.

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

Yes they improved.  Not much tech stays the same after 10 years.  Duh.

I wish dishwashers were made like they were 10 years ago. 

21 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Wife travels for work and travels over an hour. Worth it though cause she’s making over $2K/week after taxes 

We know. :banana:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Her rates are on the high side but she really puts in the GFE effort.

7 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Her rates are on the high side but she really puts in the GFE effort.

Yep. Pretty cool. Been helping out a lot since I havent been working due to school. But that leaves me to do most of the housework which I honestly don’t mind cause she’s preggo. 

Great for a 90% empty room with no couches or anything with cords...

Overrated IMHO.  Someone got us one and it is never used.

4 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

When I researched them last year, the prevailing thought was they don't do a good job.  Not sure if they better in a year, but it was pretty much just wiping a wet rag all over the floor.

I haven’t really heard that. Honestly though, I haven’t looked at them or the reviews so I can’t really comment on it. I just know my in laws have one and they like it. Was looking to get one next year around Christmas cause we should be moved in our new house by then 

We love ours and it does a good job. We have the iRobot S9 and run it every night.

Welcome back, Digby

7 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

The robot vacuum should really free up most of your days 

3 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

The robot vacuum should really free up most of your days 

Saves me from vacuuming but not moping :dunno: Either way, between rotations, exams, taking care of the house, prepping for thanksgiving, gender reveal, and dads 80th bday I’ve been busy as fock the last few months. Wouldn’t change a thing though :thumbsup: 

8 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Saves me from vacuuming but not moping :dunno: Either way, between rotations, exams, taking care of the house, prepping for thanksgiving, gender reveal, and dads 80th bday I’ve been busy as fock the last few months. Wouldn’t change a thing though :thumbsup: 

What's planned for the gender reveal party?

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

What's planned for the gender reveal party?

I let my wife take care of all that while I took care of thanksgiving. She planned, I had to buy 😅 But we are going with a pumpkin since it’s fall and have a smoke bomb inside it. Pretty simple and easy. Been DYING to know what we are having so I can start buying stuff. I’ve waited to really start going nuts buying stuff until we find out. After everything is over I’ll let you guys know what we are having :cheers: 

34 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

gender reveal

What gender are you planning to reveal as?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

What gender are you planning to reveal as?

Probably going with “babyself” 😅