Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Preferred delivery pizza

9 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Sicilian generally has a distinguished crust around the edges.  

Yes...it's why I said even that comparison is not quite 100% accurate

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

you know nothing about the pizza business.

ive professionally cooked thousands of pies.  every pizza cooks different depending on toppings.  every pizza NEEDS to be cooked different depending on toppings.  if i have two pies, one is cheese and the other has double cheese, double sauce, pepperoni, sausage, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, anchovies and olives, they WILL cook different because its going to take time to cook thru it all.  you will not get the same results.  

i went to this chain in Los Angeles called Blaze Pizza.  they have a thin crust and put all pies in the oven for the same amount of time.  they are so mistrained that they will cook it to make sure the crust is the same every time.  so a deluxe pizza with lots of toppings with be RAW in the middle.  the place is outright DANGEROUS.  you cook the pizza until its cooked, the condition of the crust WILL vary no matter what "type" of pizza it is.  I've bought little caesaers "detroit style" and it was also RAW in the middle because they cook it in the oven for the same amount of time as their normal frozen pizzas.  their detroit style has too much on it to cook the same way.  it needs to cook longer at a lower temperature.

I worked in a pizza shop all through high school and college making pizzas and strombolis. I know plenty.

I also know that different style crusts and pizzas cook different and taste different. I also know there is a difference between Detroit style and "lunch lady squares"

I like every pizza from an expensive local pizza to the cheapest frozen pizza, except Papa Johns.

Can't do papa johns, tastes like crap.

• Like 1

its really imprssive how brainwashed you have to be to think the crispiness of the crust is what matters to you.  if you know how to cook food, you know the priority to get the food COOKED not RAW.  i mean the more i read in this thread the dumber mooney gets.

i should get into the antcid elixir business.  pepto bismol must be making a fortune.  people dont know how to cook food anymore.

7 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

its really imprssive how brainwashed you have to be to think the crispiness of the crust is what matters to you.  if you know how to cook food, you know the priority to get the food COOKED not RAW.  i mean the more i read in this thread the dumber mooney gets.

i should get into the antcid elixir business.  pepto bismol must be making a fortune.  people dont know how to cook food anymore.

Keep making up things. You were proven wrong here over and over. I got no problem with you clowning yourself.

Just now, JustinCharge said:

its really imprssive how brainwashed you have to be to think the crispiness of the crust is what matterts to you.  if you know how to cook food, you know the priority to get the food COOKED not RAW.  i mean the more i read in this thread the dumber mooney gets.

Crust is the most important part of the pizza, arguably.

You keep talking about the pizza being raw, but you don't put raw toppings on a pizza, unless you're an idiot.  Everything that you put on a pizza is already cooked or can be eaten raw

3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Crust is the most important part of the pizza, arguably.

You keep talking about the pizza being raw, but you don't put raw toppings on a pizza, unless you're an idiot.  Everything that you put on a pizza is already cooked or can be eaten raw

Justin has proven he isn't very smart.

Imagine that conversation:

Pizza shop owner: "The customer wants hamburger on the pizza."

Justin: "Where do we keep the raw hamburger?"

Pizza shop owner: "Are you an idiot?"

Justin: "Look- tell them when Russia nukes us in a week all the hamburger will be glowing, let alone raw."

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

My understanding of Detroit style is that it’s a rectangular pan style without a crust. Cheese all the way to the edges of the pan. 

Never had it, but I watch a lot of Triple D. 

Threads like this one make me glad I live in a place where national chains aren’t my best pizza option. Even my local hole in the wall joint does a better pie than any delivery chain I’ve tried.

Jesus, every single thread he posts in, just a miserable human... :doh:

Anyway, yadda yadda, nobody likes the chains. Way better options where I live, never have to order from a chain. In a pinch, Papa John's is fine. My wife hates it for some reason, so, I may have it once a year. The crust with the garlic butter is pretty solid, like having pizza with an order of bread sticks. I also like warm pepperncinis and get extra on those.

1 minute ago, Reality said:

Mr. Kettle has joined the chat. :lol: 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Reality said:

Again- I was not being an ass here until Justin took a shot.

So I know you can't read...but maybe try to figure it out you useless waste of sperm. 

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

The crust is also thicker as it is deep dish and has a higher hydration level which means you get a crust that is super crispy on the outside but chewier on the inside. In a lot of areas the terms that people use interchangeably is "sicilian style" (even that isn't 100% the same) Had Justin said that he is far closer. 

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

Sicilian generally has a distinguished crust around the edges.  

I was going to ask you guys and @Shooter McGavinif you had heard of "sicilian style;" it was popular in NE PA when I was growing up.  I've wondered if it is the same as Detroit Style, I'll have to try it.

I also recall that the sauce on sicilian was thinner and slightly spicier.  :cheers: 

12 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

So I know you can't read...but maybe try to figure it out you useless waste of sperm. 

Let it out, bud. 

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I was going to ask you guys and @Shooter McGavinif you had heard of "sicilian style;" it was popular in NE PA when I was growing up.  I've wondered if it is the same as Detroit Style, I'll have to try it.

I also recall that the sauce on sicilian was thinner and slightly spicier.  :cheers: 

Sicilian is a thing in NY and Philly too. My understanding is that it’s baked but Detroit style is skillet fried and apparently has a different cheese. 

Just wondering what part of the teaching curriculum has arguing about pizza all day in it? 

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Yeah we always called the thicker crust "sicilian".  I've never had detroit style pizza, only been to Detroit once, flew in and drove to Ann Arbor.

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Just wondering what part of the teaching curriculum has arguing about pizza all day in it? 

This was almost coherent....who did you give your login information too?

9 minutes ago, MDC said:

Sicilian is a thing in NY and Philly too. My understanding is that it’s baked but Detroit style is skillet fried and apparently has a different cheese. 

I should have included you in my list but I wasn't sure if it went down south to Philly.  :cheers: 

Also I don't recall the crust on the Sicilian, but I've always liked pan pizza from Pizza Hut (back when they were good), so I'll definitely try it someday.  

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

As was mentioned- Sicilian has more of a defined crust. Detroit style does not. But yes- it is a big PA version of that style.

Also, I didn't know you were from NE PA. 

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Red Baron is the best frozen pizza IMO, but it’s still like $5. 

This, we can agree on. In my area if you wait for sales, you can get 3 for 10$

This used to be good, but haven't tried it in ages. 

https://rockyrococo.com/menu

1 minute ago, Sean Mooney said:

As was mentioned- Sicilian has more of a defined crust. Detroit style does not. But yes- it is a big PA version of that style.

Also, I didn't know you were from NE PA. 

Weird, I've mentioned it quite a bit here.  Maybe before you arrived?  Anyway, I was born and raised in Wilkes-Barre, which I describe to people as "ya know that city Scranton in The Office?  Wilkes-Barre is its smaller, less hip sister city."  :cheers: 

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Weird, I've mentioned it quite a bit here.  Maybe before you arrived?  Anyway, I was born and raised in Wilkes-Barre, which I describe to people as "ya know that city Scranton in The Office?  Wilkes-Barre is its smaller, less hip sister city."  :cheers: 

I'm familiar with Wilkes-Barre. I'm from Berks County so Wilkes Barre is really just like 90 minutes up the northeast extension

23 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I can order a sicilian pie from most of my local places here in NJ. Fresh out of the oven its much messier to the point where I wouldn't fault anyone for eating it with a fork and knife. The dough under the sauce and cheese is dense but fluffy if that makes any sense and as I mentioned before, any sicilian i've ever ordered had a defined, crispy outer edge crust.... while detroit style has the cheese going all the way to the edges of the pan forming more of a cheese crust. 

13 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I should have included you in my list but I wasn't sure if it went down south to Philly.  :cheers: 

Also I don't recall the crust on the Sicilian, but I've always liked pan pizza from Pizza Hut (back when they were good), so I'll definitely try it someday.  

You can get Sicilian here but I remember it mostly from NY. When I was a kid on Long Island the old Sicilian lady next door used to make it. 🍕 💕 

Sicilian sucks. All dough. Grandma pizza is the way to go. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sicilian sucks. All dough. Grandma pizza is the way to go. 

sicilian is a lot of dough and grandma pies are good too. but i still love a good siciilian pizza

I’m not really a Sicilian pizza fan either. But my favorite local here in Philly does an “upside down” pizza: crispy but slightly thicker crust than NY style, rectangular with cheese beneath sauce and sauce spiced like Tomato Pie.

It is focking awesome.

:wub: 

55 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

If you knew how to read you would understand that Justin didn't say there wasn't a real origin to the term Detroit Style.  He said he doesn't like the term as it's used today.  Probably because of things like this:

In 2011 two brothers opened a Detroit-style pizza restaurant in Austin, Texas, using the "Detroit-style" name as a point of differentiation.

In 2012, a New York restaurateur created a pizza he called "Detroit-style", though he had never visited Detroit.......

In 2016 everyone seemed to be talking about it or writing about it or opening up restaurants devoted to it. 

In 2019, Esquire called the style "one of the hottest food trends across America".

People literally stole the term, just like he complained about. And now

On one side are the local Detroit pizzerias and restaurants devoted to their normcore, family-restaurant roots with toppings directly on the crust, a layer of processed brick cheese, and sauce on top. Then there are the "artisanal" square pizzas, with their aged doughs, organic toppings, unprocessed cheeses, and "frico" crust. These designer square slices are sometimes baked in a wood-fired oven and often served on Instagrammable metal trays in perfect lighting—a departure from the checkered tablecloths, no-frills boat drinks, and generous displays of bocce ball plaques at Buddy's. And in this new era of Detroit-style pizza, it's this photogenic version that many Americans are discovering first.

Just another thread and another example of you throwing your Mr. Roger's wannabe teacher childish temper tantrum.  😭

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Horseman said:

In 2011 two brothers opened a Detroit-style pizza restaurant in Austin, Texas, using the "Detroit-style" name as a point of differentiation.

In 2012, a New York restaurateur created a pizza he called "Detroit-style", though he had never visited Detroit.......

In 2016 everyone seemed to be talking about it or writing about it or opening up restaurants devoted to it. 

In 2019, Esquire called the style "one of the hottest food trends across America".

to be fair I don't think Detroit style pizza really became popular or mainstream until 2010ish. So this doesn't surprise me. Capitalizing on somethings popularity is an age old concept, after all. 

as for Mooney vs. Justin, I don't have any particular monkey in their slap fights but I feel dumber with each Justincharge post I read. 

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

like this gem :lol:. What is this blithering idiot even going on about?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Horseman said:

If you knew how to read you would understand that Justin didn't say there wasn't a real origin to the term Detroit Style.  He said he doesn't like the term as it's used today.  Probably because of things like this:

People literally stole the term, just like he complained about. And now

Just another thread and another example of you throwing your Mr. Roger's wannabe teacher childish temper tantrum.  😭

Cool now can you give us the backstory on all the places serving lunchlady squares?

Yes, HT, lunch ladies did serve pizza in school and it was usually in squares.  I see a couple recipes trying to make it like they made it in school and like one distributor selling one, but that’s about it.  Is it an actual genre of pizzas that any significant number of people would actually desire to eat?

9 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

So this doesn't surprise me. Capitalizing on somethings popularity is an age old concept, after all. 

Right, that was the point.  Mooney couldn't make it past the reference to lunch lady squares though.  Probably hit too close to home.  :lol:

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

Cool now can you give us the backstory on all the places serving lunchlady squares?

Just now, Horseman said:

Right, that was the point.  Mooney couldn't make it past the reference to lunch lady squares though.  Probably hit too close to home.  :lol:

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Horseman said:

You mean the 3 different references to lunchlady squares?   He wasn’t just saying he hates the term Detroit style as it’s used today, he said it’s the same thing as lunch lady squares and zero people could tell the difference.

HT, you googled lunch lady squares.  Do you think that looks the same as Detroit style?

4 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

i hate the term detroit style pizza.  whats the difference between that and a "pan pizza" or lunch lady squares?  none really.  were just making up terms now.

3 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

one of the ways the food industry tries to sell product is to rename dishes to make them sound more interesting or exotic.  

"Asian Carp" is a dish.  But no-one wants to eat something called that.  So they renamed it Copi.  

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/copi-fish-asian-carp-invasive-species

Liekwise, if you put "lunch day pizza squares" on a pricey menu, people will balk and say the restaurant is low class.  So they start rebranding it as "Detroit-style pizza".  Now they eat it up.

3 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

sure.  but that doesnt mean its not the same thing.  it also doesnt mean most people just referred to it as lunch lady pizza squares.  its amazing examples of how gullible you are extend beyond the normal topics.

if i sat down 100 people in front of some lunch lady pizza squares and a "detroit style pizza" zero of them would be able to tell the difference.

I love libtards. It’s stated that lunch lady pizza squares are made up. I go to google and find that not to be true. Should be the end of it, right? Would be for well adjusted, normal people. Not here though. Eh, same people that think a man dressed up in womens lingerie reading stories to kids in the library is normal. Fock em. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I love libtards. It’s stated that lunch lady pizza squares are made up. I go to google and find that not to be true. Should be the end of it, right? Would be for well adjusted, normal people. Not here though. Eh, same people that think a man dressed up in womens lingerie reading stories to kids in the library is normal. Fock em. 

It’s made up in terms of being an actual style of pizza that people make outside of school cafeterias or want to look like something that came from a school cafeteria

30 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

as for Mooney vs. Justin, I don't have any particular monkey in their slap fights but I feel dumber with each Justincharge post I read. 

Yeah, because Mooney's posts make us all so much smarter.  🤣

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

Yeah, because Mooney's posts make us all so much smarter.  🤣

Honestly? no they don't make us smarter but as an objective outsider I have always thought Mooney's posts were at the very least coherent. I don't agree with many of his thoughts but his posts are readable. More of an agree to disagree sentiment I have toward him. 

Justin makes way too many posts where I wonder if he has a mental illness. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2