Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Leaders are infected with behavior changing parasites

And that is how you write a clickbait headline!

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-wolves-emboldened-parasite.html

Wolves infected with a common parasite are far more likely to become the leader of their pack, according to a new study, suggesting that the brain-dwelling intruder emboldens its host to take more risks.

The single-celled parasite, Toxoplasma gondii, only sexually reproduces in cats but can infect all warm-blooded animals.

Between 30-50 percent of people worldwide are estimated to be infected with the parasite, which remains for life as dormant tissue cysts. However people with a healthy immune system rarely have any symptoms.

While some studies have reported an association between people having the parasite in their brain and increased risk-taking, other research has disputed these findings and no definitive link has been proven.

And an infected wolf is up to 46 times more likely to become pack leader, the researchers estimated, adding that the role is normally won by more aggressive animals.

When I was a kid I got lost in the wilderness and was stalked by a wolf.  It was the head wolf from the pack, I could tell, but I was young.  Anyway, it got a little too close and I grabbed it, ninja quick and bit its neck, and sucked out its life force and all of those parasites.

That is prolly why I am kind of a leader here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raven Fan said:

ib4 @jonmx comes in here spurging about how he knew it all along...

I have been watching a lot of Little House on the Prairie with my girlfriend lately.  I am beginning to think you ya'll come from a different hollar and maybe ya'll should go back.

5 hours ago, fandandy said:

As Charles may say, fock off and go away.

Charles never swore and he was always welcoming. You must be watching a woke remake of LHotP.

21 hours ago, fandandy said:

When I was a kid I got lost in the wilderness and was stalked by a wolf.  It was the head wolf from the pack, I could tell, but I was young.  Anyway, it got a little too close and I grabbed it, ninja quick and bit its neck, and sucked out its life force and all of those parasites.

That is prolly why I am kind of a leader here.

yes master.  what is thy bidding master?

14 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Charles never swore and he was always welcoming. You must be watching a woke remake of LHotP.

i thought he was talking about Charles in Charge not Charles Ingalls lol.