Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Dash cams

Anyone have one? Looking to get my wife and I one. If you guys have any suggestions that would be great. With how people are nowadays, I feel like it’s becoming something you need to avoid having to pay an insurance scammer 

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

Anyone have one? Looking to get my wife and I one. If you guys have any suggestions that would be great. With how people are nowadays, I feel like it’s becoming something you need to avoid having to pay an insurance scammer 

I’ll bite. What type of insurance scam do you think you’ll avoid with a dash cam? 

a staged accident scam, sure I guess if you really think multiple motorists will target you for this type of scam, it could help but honestly may still be tough to prove any pair of cars were working together. 

i think the most realistic case would be to show that there may have been existing damage to a vehicle in an accident where you were at fault anyway (rear ended them) that you did not cause. 

most stuff can be handled with a simple police report which you’d be getting anyway. 

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

I’ll bite. What type of insurance scam do you think you’ll avoid with a dash cam? 

a staged accident scam, sure I guess if you really think multiple motorists will target you for this type of scam, it could help but honestly may still be tough to prove any pair of cars were working together. 

i think the most realistic case would be to show that there may have been existing damage to a vehicle in an accident where you were at fault anyway (rear ended them) that you did not cause. 

most stuff can be handled with a simple police report which you’d be getting anyway. 

It’s not really “fishing for a bite”. I just seen a lot more insurance scams where they’ll try to back into your car, run out in front of your car and “hit” themselves on your car, or somebody running a light and you run into them but they try to blame it on you. Just things like that. I’ve been wanting to get my wife and I a dash cam each. Might not ever need to use it but I’d still like to have it just in case. 

10 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

It’s not really “fishing for a bite”. I just seen a lot more insurance scams where they’ll try to back into your car, run out in front of your car and “hit” themselves on your car, or somebody running a light and you run into them but they try to blame it on you. Just things like that. I’ve been wanting to get my wife and I a dash cam each. Might not ever need to use it but I’d still like to have it just in case. 

Even if someone runs a red light, you generally have a responsibility to use caution (looking both ways) to see if there is an oncoming car and you may wind up sharing responsibility for their F up. For example if they are already into the intersection and you T bone them, your dash cam can show you had a green light but won’t really prove they ran a red. 

If you feel like insurance scams are an issue in your area or you just want piece of mind then get one. I’d just look for the most affordable cam that has a good reliability rating? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I wish we had one  2 weeks ago.  it would be helpful now that the other driver is claiming right of way

12 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Even if someone runs a red light, you generally have a responsibility to use caution (looking both ways) to see if there is an oncoming car and you may wind up sharing responsibility for their F up. For example if they are already into the intersection and you T bone them, your dash cam can show you had a green light but won’t really prove they ran a red. 

If you feel like insurance scams are an issue in your area or you just want piece of mind then get one. I’d just look for the most affordable cam that has a good reliability rating? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Come on bro 🤦🏻‍♂️ don’t be that guy. I’m literally wanting it to cover my ass and prevent people from lying to officers. Cause it has happened and will continue to happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bier Meister said:

I wish we had one  2 weeks ago.  it would be helpful now that the other driver is claiming right of way

This is what I’m trying to prevent. Cause nowadays it happens a lot more often than you think. I might never use it. Or I might have to use it all the time. It’s like having car insurance. Might never have to use it. Or you might have to use it quite a bit. I’d rather be safe and have a dash cam that I can easily use to disprove things like this than have to deal with a “he said, she said” situation. 

I think they’re creepy but I used to say the same thing about doorbell cams — now they’re everywhere 

45 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Come on bro 🤦🏻‍♂️ don’t be that guy. I’m literally wanting it to cover my ass and prevent people from lying to officers. Cause it has happened and will continue to happen. 

How am I being “that guy” 😂, bro. I gave you an answer. It can help in very rare situations. Buy one if it gives you peace of mind 

If that’s not the answer you wanted 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I might never use it. Or I might have to use it all the time. It’s like having car insurance. 

Except not having car insurance is illegal in most states. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

No dash cam, but do enjoy my home door cam.  My kids are old enough to stay home for a while but I like being notified.  Also online shopping.  

fock it...im a full on creep now... have cameras everywhere. at business, can believe the sh;t i found going down. ...on boat...had drunktards just climb aboard in middle of night.

i almost hit a crackhead standing in middle of road the other night panhandling!!! so my  life going to be ruined for that focktard???? society is toast. yea im following this thread....rec me a good one.

I researched them a little over a year ago. I was looking for the reasons you mentioned, & storm chasing. 

There's literally 100's of different brands, ranging in price from $75 up to 1000's. I never followed through. 

If you're looking for both front and rear cams, keep in mind that you'll have to run wiring to the back.

Other than that all I can say is start with YouTube. Here's a link for the best dash cams of 2022. Watch that, and if one of them seems right for you, do a search for that specific model.

On 11/30/2022 at 10:07 PM, WhiteWonder said:

How am I being “that guy” 😂, bro. I gave you an answer. It can help in very rare situations. Buy one if it gives you peace of mind 

If that’s not the answer you wanted 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorry but you didn’t. Being “that guy” means being a purposeful in a situation that doesn’t require one. Now I’m not arguing with anyone here cause quite frankly I’ve had enough of it. Id suggest you look in the mirror and decide if that’s the kind of guy you wanna be 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Sorry but you didn’t. Being “that guy” means being a purposeful in a situation that doesn’t require one. Now I’m not arguing with anyone here cause quite frankly I’ve had enough of it. Id suggest you look in the mirror and decide if that’s the kind of guy you wanna be 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

not agreeing and being argumentative are two different things. If you can point out where I was being argumentative, I'm all ears.... or eyes, as it were. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

What does this mean?

it means if you're approaching an intersection and have a green light, as a motorist you still have a responsibility to pay attention and potentially notice if a car is coming to the same intersection at a fast pace from your left or right. Yes, that driver is the one messing up but depending on where you impact them, you guys may wind up sharing fault for the accident. Some states follow a comparative liability law which will assign a % of the blame or level of fault to each driver. 

On 12/1/2022 at 1:18 AM, easilyscan said:

I researched them a little over a year ago. I was looking for the reasons you mentioned, & storm chasing. 

There's literally 100's of different brands, ranging in price from $75 up to 1000's. I never followed through. 

If you're looking for both front and rear cams, keep in mind that you'll have to run wiring to the back.

Other than that all I can say is start with YouTube. Here's a link for the best dash cams of 2022. Watch that, and if one of them seems right for you, do a search for that specific model.

I was actually just looking for a front cam. I feel like if I have that one then if somebody DOES hit me from behind while I’m sitting still the front can prove that. I just want one for my front dash and my wife’s front dash. Before when I didn’t have much to lose I didn’t really care but I’m not tryna get sued for something that isn’t my fault and be forced to sell property just to pay a scammer 

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

I was actually just looking for a front cam. I feel like if I have that one then if somebody DOES hit me from behind while I’m sitting still the front can prove that. I just want one for my front dash and my wife’s front dash. Before when I didn’t have much to lose I didn’t really care but I’m not tryna get sued for something that isn’t my fault and be forced to sell property just to pay a scammer 

It's a good idea to have one. The number of people on the road who have no business driving seems to be increasing. This thread has renewed my interest. When/if I do, I'll post it here. 

On 11/30/2022 at 7:55 PM, WhiteWonder said:

This/ Double edge sword if you use them. My expertise was accident scene investigation and recreation the scope of investigation. P/R,, on scene statements, and hold more value. 

2 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

It's a good idea to have one. The number of people on the road who have no business driving seems to be increasing. This thread has renewed my interest. When/if I do, I'll post it here. 

Problem is, people are hurting for money. And what’s a quick way to get money without having to work? Insurance scams like this. We are seeing a surge in these cases all over the US which is why i want a dash cam now. I may never use it but I’d rather have it in case somebody tries it. Especially since we travel a lot