Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Baker Mayfield Expected To Be Released by Carolina

Kurt Warner was stocking shelves @ a Hy-Vee grocery store in Iowa before he hit the big time. 

Maybe that's the motivation Baker needs.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

He requested his release?

Where does he think he's going?

That was my thought.

if I'm his agent I would recommend he NOT do this.  if he forces  them to pay him to hold a clipboard the rest of the year and they buy him out I'm pretty sure he does better financially.

but he probably thinks hes a legit starter and wants to play and get paid.

He will find if he gets a starting gig at this point it will be as a placeholder for a first round pick who wont be ready to start week 1.

more likely he gets a gig as a backup QB for 2-4 mil which is a drop in the bucket compared to what hes getting paid now.

pretty dumb move on his part unless he thinks a team has promised him some money to sign right away. (which is technically tampering though I dont think Carolina will complain.... they are happy to get rid of him from the sound of it)

52 minutes ago, DrG said:

Timing certainly ‘fortuitous’ w Jimmy G injury.

I suppose he thinks he'll end up in SF if he requested his release

"more likely he gets a gig as a backup QB for 2-4 mil which is a drop in the bucket compared to what hes getting paid now."  Uh - I think he agreed to drop his salary to $5M, in order for CLE to find a trade partner.  And/or, that is the portion of his salary that CAR agreed to pay.  I think there is ~ $1.3M left on his contract - not much.

22 hours ago, Bills04 said:

"more likely he gets a gig as a backup QB for 2-4 mil which is a drop in the bucket compared to what hes getting paid now."  Uh - I think he agreed to drop his salary to $5M, in order for CLE to find a trade partner.  And/or, that is the portion of his salary that CAR agreed to pay.  I think there is ~ $1.3M left on his contract - not much.

I thought Cleveland picked up a portion of his contract in that deal.   I did not think he gave up any money personally.   generally rookie contracts dont get amended.

it is totally possible I am out to lunch on this so dont jump on me if I'm wrong.    I generally dont follow contract stuff as much.   but I dont recall rookie contracts being adjusted because teams have the option to bail on the 5th year option and up til that point, the dollar value on the contracts is generally reasonable.

I could see baker to the Rams for Akers as being a workable trade.

perhaps some tweaks so both sides are happy....  but that ship has sailed if they are releasing Baker

Just now, Ray_T said:

I could see baker to the Rams for Akers as being a workable trade.

perhaps some tweaks so both sides are happy....  but that ship has sailed if they are releasing Baker

Look up ^

Oh how the mighty have fallen. 

21 hours ago, jrokh said:

Look up ^

yes, I was basically agreeing with what he said.  I thought I quoted it but clearly I did not.

my bad.