MTSkiBum

Can plants see?

There is a plant in south america that is able to mimic the leaf shape of the plants around it. Originally they thought it determined the plants around it through chemical means, however the experiment below found that it can mimic plastic plants. However, there are some researchers who do seem skeptical of the claim, which i have also linked below.

Hopefully there are followup experiments to determine if plants really can see.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15592324.2021.1977530?cookieSet=1

Upon discovery that the Boquila trifoliolata is capable of flexible leaf mimicry, the question of the mechanism behind this ability has been unanswered. Here, we demonstrate that plant vision possibly via plant-specific ocelli is a plausible hypothesis. A simple experiment by placing an artificial vine model above the living plants has shown that these will attempt to mimic the artificial leaves. The experiment has been carried out with multiple plants, and each plant has shown attempts at mimicry. It was observed that mimic leaves showed altered leaf areas, perimeters, lengths, and widths compared to non-mimic leaves.

Counter point:

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/can-plants-see-in-the-wake-of-a-controversial-study-the-answer-is-still-unclear-70796

But some researchers sounded alarms. “This is a deeply flawed article based on a poorly designed experiment and reflects significant author bias in the interpretation of the results,” wrote arborist Linda Chalker-Scott in a blog post earlier this year.

Experts who spoke with The Scientist about the research similarly raised red flags about the study itself and had pointed questions about the publication process. Meanwhile, the study’s authors and handling editor stand by the paper, although they say it was never meant to be the final word on either plant vision or B. trifoliolata’s mimicry.

I was aware of the plant and initial findings. Did not know about the push back on the accuracy of the findings. Thank you. 

That is what science is about: Continual review and challenges to accepted facts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

I was aware of the plant and initial findings. Did not know about the push back on the accuracy of the findings. Thank you. 

That is what science is about: Continual review and challenges to accepted facts. 

You think it would be an easy experiment to reproduce, the problem is that when you reproduce an experiment to test if it is true you do not get as much "credit" from the academic community.

This is one of the problems with our university research system that i would like to see fixed.

skip to 3 minute mark

perhaps you'll find your answer here....

Stevie Wonder "The Secret Life of Plants" Full Album

On 12/8/2022 at 6:15 PM, KSB2424 said:

Dude, lay off the Shrooms. 

Hey good point, some people think the mycelium networks help plants communicate with each other 🤯

On 12/8/2022 at 6:19 PM, kutulu said:

God, I hope not. 

I'm sure that ficus plant that Louis CK jerked off into agrees. 

• Haha 1

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― Jack Handy

43 minutes ago, DonS said:

I'm sure that ficus plant that Louis CK jerked off into agrees. 

3F65B586-C3D4-4972-ACDB-11052312027E.gif