Sign in to follow this  
pipeman

League Manager question

ESPN's trade deadline was Wednesday at noon. Our league is set up to allow for trades to be voted on by the owners, with a 48 hour voting window. All trades are processed after the window if the league hasn't voted it down by over 1/2 majority. I sent out a notice on Tuesday that the deadline was approaching, and that afterwards, no trades or VOTES, per ESPN, are allowed. 

A trade was accepted at 10AM Wednesday. Team A, who is technically out of playoff contention but has major RB problems, sends their #4 WR Marquise Brown to Team B for his #3 RB D'Onta Foreman. Team B is in the playoff hunt, and is hurting at WR. On the surface, the trade helps both teams. No evidence of collusion, even though Team A isn't in the mix anymore.

The two hours pass between the notification of the trade and the deadline. Three votes are cast, all to allow the trade. ESPN shuts down all trade operations, and the trade is set to be processed at 10am Friday. Now, one owner has approached me, and has suggested that they are not cool with the trade, and that I should use my LM power to allow for the trade voting window to be extended, given the timing of the trade. I said no, but am now wondering if this qualifies an an exception to the rules.

Wondering if any of you would treat this differently?

"Now, one owner has approached me, and has suggested that they are not cool with the trade .."  So .. he didn't vote within the allotted time period?  Don't be a and whine to the Commissioner..  Allow the trade.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the trade and it was agreed upon before the deadline. It should go through.

This is an example of why league vote on trades is a bad idea. It greatly hinders any trading as the parties have to agree two days ahead of games. One week ends on Monday night. The next week starts on Wednesdays with waivers and Thursday with games. Teams can't even properly plan their waivers if they're also trying to do a trade. The timing with a 2-day hold makes it hard. 

If you just have a commissioner as the decider, then problem solved. This deal could have been processed right when it was agreed to. This makes even Sunday morning trades doable. With voting that's impossible.

In my leagues, I have a 2-day waiting period for "feedback" but the understanding is that I decide and can and will process a trade as time best warrants it. 

3 hours ago, Law said:

Nothing wrong with the trade and it was agreed upon before the deadline. It should go through.

This is an example of why league vote on trades is a bad idea. It greatly hinders any trading as the parties have to agree two days ahead of games. One week ends on Monday night. The next week starts on Wednesdays with waivers and Thursday with games. Teams can't even properly plan their waivers if they're also trying to do a trade. The timing with a 2-day hold makes it hard. 

If you just have a commissioner as the decider, then problem solved. This deal could have been processed right when it was agreed to. This makes even Sunday morning trades doable. With voting that's impossible.

In my leagues, I have a 2-day waiting period for "feedback" but the understanding is that I decide and can and will process a trade as time best warrants it. 

I've come to see that league vote probably isn't the way to go. We do allow for a trade to get "pushed" through before the 48 hour window. If the owner can get 7 of the 12 to vote yes, I will process the trade. But it rarely happens, because if guys see that a competitor is getting help, they just won't vote at all.

I was in a keeper league for about 15 years where all trades were approved by the LM unless he could prove collusion. You could keep two player per year, with a three year keeper max. The problem was we also allowed for the trading of future draft picks. Although it wasn't technically collusion, you'd have trades of LT2, Moss, and a 15th rounder for the other guys 1st, 2nd. and 3rd the following year. Both owners greatly benefited, but it became a league of three or four super teams every year. 

4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Nope.  Never change rules in midseason.

I agree with Elf on this one

4 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

Trades should never be voted upon.

That’s not true. 

Trades should not be dependent on whether league mates check their emails or league board. I also tend to agree, that if one team seems to be favored, no one will approve it. The value of trades is very subjective when being voted on by people who are directly affected by it. I'm sure the Rams didn't ask the 49ers if they can pick up Baker Mayfield.

32 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I agree.  but this is the way the rules are setup,  the question is where they should go from here.

currently the rules say its a vote.  you dont change such rules on short notice or in mid season (unless every team agrees) and you dont just overturn things because you feel like it.

there was a waiting period for the trade to vote on whether it should be overturned.  that time period ended.  the trade goes through.  end of discussion. 

if someone doesnt like it after the fact they should have been paying attention so they could rally the troops to get it overturned.   That didnt happen.  the pissed off owner has nobody to blame but himself.

I have found that group votes on trades are often affected by whether it helps their team and not whether its a fair trade with no undue influence affecting it.

ironically nobody wants to veto when the top team gives up their best player to a bottomfeeder with no chance at the playoffs.  its always when the bottomfeeder gives a player that helps the guy at the top that people are opposed.   To me thats not a reason to overturn.   

That said, there was a process setup and they went through the process and it was finalized.  you dont go and overturn it at this point.   you just dont.  if you do, might as well shut down the league too because people will quit. (if they dont, they should)

I had to quit a work league going into this year because the commish was doing stuff like this and I decided I'd had enough.  

just food for your thoughts

I think trades should be voted on.  

8 hours ago, Drizzay said:

I tend to agree. As long as it isn't obvious collusion everything is fine.

On this trade- you got to let it go through with no extended window. 

The process is how it is.

As long as that's how it's supposed to work before the season started there's nothing to see here.

Can't change the rules just because one person doesn't like what's happening

Appreciate everyone’s input. As I stated from the beginning, my intent with the post was to see if anyone would have treated this differently. I upheld the trade. I think the biggest issue is that the website shuts down its own process at the deadline. Had the trade been much more lopsided, and closer to the deadline, the moral dilemma would have been greater. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pipeman said:

Appreciate everyone’s input. As I stated from the beginning, my intent with the post was to see if anyone would have treated this differently. I upheld the trade. I think the biggest issue is that the website shuts down its own process at the deadline. Had the trade been much more lopsided, and closer to the deadline, the moral dilemma would have been greater. 

You made the right call.  You gave everyone a heads up and told them that they had until noon on Wednesday to vote.  If people didn't check prior to noon on Wednesday of any trades (or checked via text/email), then that's on those people.

8 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You made the right call.  You gave everyone a heads up and told them that they had until noon on Wednesday to vote.  If people didn't check prior to noon on Wednesday of any trades (or checked via text/email), then that's on those people.

agreed.

inactive fantasy players typically get what they put in.   in this case the guy wasnt paying attention when he should have been.   the trade deadline is usually the busiest time of the year and arguably one of those times when every fantasy owner should be paying attention to what is going on within the league.

the fact that he wasnt paying attention is unfortunate but thats inevitably the result when you dont watch.

As a commish myself, I can say never ever ever EVER change the rules midseason, no matter how minor it seems. If you do you will hear this the next time it comes up.. “but you changed the rules that last time, so why not in this situation?”   

On 12/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, RedzoneMonster said:

As a commish myself, I can say never ever ever EVER change the rules midseason, no matter how minor it seems. If you do you will hear this the next time it comes up.. “but you changed the rules that last time, so why not in this situation?”   

Agreed.  

only exception is if you have every team in the league onboard.   in that case if everyone is onboard with it, there is no reason not to do it.

but the odds of that happening are pretty low.

Generally the NO midseason change rule is the way to go.