Sign in to follow this  
pipeman

Poor form?

I pondered this last year when it happened, and I know it's going to happen again this year...

Even though 8 of 12 teams are out in our redraft league, ESPN allows for these teams to still put in for waiver claims. The site lists them as "playing" an opponent, but the results of these matchups mean nothing. Because the claim list is worst to first, this allows for any of these owners to block the remaining four playoff teams from the couple of waiver gems that typically surface this time of year. I 100% guarantee that, come tomorrow morning, at least one of these teams will have made a roster move. When it happened last year, the owner who did it told me that he was purposely screwing with the playoff teams. He said he was "playing 'til the final whistle", and was unapologetic for his actions. I contacted ESPN prior to setting the league rules for this year, and was told that there is no way to "freeze" the non-playoff teams out of managing their teams past week 15. 

Personally, I see no reason why ESPN even allows for this to happen. Opinions?

Maybe it’s annoying but as long as they aren’t dropping great players to really screw everything up, I think it’s fine. Every league will have players or aspects that isn’t perfect.

2 hours ago, pipeman said:

I pondered this last year when it happened, and I know it's going to happen again this year...

Even though 8 of 12 teams are out in our redraft league, ESPN allows for these teams to still put in for waiver claims. The site lists them as "playing" an opponent, but the results of these matchups mean nothing. Because the claim list is worst to first, this allows for any of these owners to block the remaining four playoff teams from the couple of waiver gems that typically surface this time of year. I 100% guarantee that, come tomorrow morning, at least one of these teams will have made a roster move. When it happened last year, the owner who did it told me that he was purposely screwing with the playoff teams. He said he was "playing 'til the final whistle", and was unapologetic for his actions. I contacted ESPN prior to setting the league rules for this year, and was told that there is no way to "freeze" the non-playoff teams out of managing their teams past week 15. 

a few points on this 

1. worst to first is a bad way of doing weekly waivers. Priority is better, starting with inverse of draft order post draft. 

2. As long as one of the owners who is not in the playoffs is not colluding with an owner who is in the playoffs (to block an opponent, etc) there is nothing wrong with each owner "playing til the whistle". Did each owner pay to be in the league? Then each owner deserves to get their money's worth and manage their team how they see fit. 

3. Some leagues, obviously not yours, but some leagues award a small prize for the consolation bracket (ex. entry fee back) to keep everyone active all season. 

4. If a team is eliminated from playoff contention while the regular season is still going on, do you question why they continue to make roster moves? Probably not because there are cases where you or other teams are relying on / hoping for them to beat other teams and help you out. So really it's just about when you might need help versus when you don't want someone messing with players you want... 

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

a few points on this 

1. worst to first is a bad way of doing weekly waivers. Priority is better, starting with inverse of draft order post draft. 

2. As long as one of the owners who is not in the playoffs is not colluding with an owner who is in the playoffs (to block an opponent, etc) there is nothing wrong with each owner "playing til the whistle". Did each owner pay to be in the league? Then each owner deserves to get their money's worth and manage their team how they see fit. 

3. Some leagues, obviously not yours, but some leagues award a small prize for the consolation bracket (ex. entry fee back) to keep everyone active all season. 

4. If a team is eliminated from playoff contention while the regular season is still going on, do you question why they continue to make roster moves? Probably not because there are cases where you or other teams are relying on / hoping for them to beat other teams and help you out. So really it's just about when you might need help versus when you don't want someone messing with players you want... 

1. Faab is the best waivers.

2. I agree with your other points made

• Like 1

FAAB does work best.  

But in my leagues we still pay out top dollar for total points, so teams picking up F/A is expected.   

That's happened in my leagues before on ESPN. We just had to set a rule that once a team was out of it, they couldn't make roster moves like that.

That shouldn't happen, if it does, it's poor leadership by the GM

I quit a league I was in for 20 years because dudes who had nothing to play for were picking up free agents to cōck block me in the playoffs. 

We added some new guys because dudes retired and moved away. They were bush league.  I never even said anything.  Just said I wasn't playing when the next season rolled around.

Can't allow this crap, if those d-bags wanna do this, just put a rule in that say can't. End of story. 

In our league folks with the high score each week gets $5, even if your team didn't make the playoffs. It keeps everyone engaged the entire season. 

It also helps that my league has been together for 26 years so we don't have any d0uchebags. 

I think teams eliminated from playoffs should have their rosters frozen.

no transactions and no games played.  once you are out, you're out.

On 12/20/2022 at 4:34 PM, pipeman said:

Do a live league, and not one that is controlled by espn.  

If the league allows it to happen , I say play until the season ends.  

But once again my live leagues also pay out top dollar for total points, so everyone keeps playing until the season is over rover.  

Every league I've played in rosters were locked before playoffs start so it was a non-issue. 

Dynasty Leagues - Wish that teams that are eliminated from fantasy playoffs and during offseason can make add/drops.  Our league has never allowed it, trades only.  Think watching NFL playoffs, there may be some new practice squad or 3rd stringer that emerges that is worth a roster spot flyer to pick up and cut a player before the rookie draft the next season.