Sign in to follow this  
peenie

What is the height difference between you and your partner?

1 hour ago, Reality said:

Alright peenie, spill the beans, how much taller are you than your new man? 

Oh no, it’s not a question related to me, I just noticed that really tall guys seem to choose girls that are considerably shorter than they are, like 6’2” guys date 5’4” girls. I figured there might be a reason, like it’s an attractive trait. 

4 hours ago, peenie said:

Oh no, it’s not a question related to me, I just noticed that really tall guys seem to choose girls that are considerably shorter than they are, like 6’2” guys date 5’4” girls. I figured there might be a reason, like it’s an attractive trait. 

I have three female cousins, all six-footers.  One saw me with a date, 5'3".  She asked me why do tall guys like me (shortest male in my family on either side in many generations at 6'3") always go with the petite girls.  She stated it was a problem then as tall girls had to suffer awkwardness when dancing with or kissing their dates as all the tall guys were taken.

I said I don't know that her observation was true, it might just beobservation bias by someone looking for a tall mate.  When she sees a guy with a petite girl in her mind she has lost an option so she notes it.

I also pointed out it did not matter who I dated, tall or short, as I was never going to be in her dating pool.

I do note my father, both grandfathers, and the great grandfather I knew all married women 5'2"'s tall.  My greatgrandfather was 6'7".  Both grandfathers 6'5".  My father, 6'4".  Me, only 6'3". the runt of a long line.  I have no male heirs so if their is a pattern it is disrupted now in my line.  My kid brother always prefered the statuesque ladies.  He wound up in the Netherlands, the land of the tallest population in the world.  He, 6'5" married a ditch gal, 5'10'.  His son is 6'7"  Both of his daughters are 5'11' beauties.  With the exception of my kid brother our family tree has been breeding shorter during several generations where the opposite has geneally been true for americans.

15 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I want to know what @cbfalcon says?

He loves the 4'11'' little petite spinners.

I’ve been single for many years, but yes I’m 6’0 and the ideal dating range was 4’10 to 5’5. 

Good topic to tag me in 👍

I am 5'2" and he's 6'8" 

18 inches. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, peenie said:

For you guys that are significantly taller than your partner: do wish she was taller or do you find her smallness in comparison to your height appealing? 

I'm 5'11" and she is 5'1", so 10 inches.  We each started about an inch taller and have shrunk over time.

She has always wished she was a little taller; a few inches of longer legs.  Actually she'd probably want to go up to 5'8" or so if given the chance.  It would be hard being short at times; on Saturday we were crammed like sardines getting into the Fiesta Bowl -- I was looking over/through the crowd to gauge the best path, she was just looking up at the heads of the people around her.

Do I wish she was taller?  It's hard to say, because I love her and find her attractive as she is.  But as I think about it, if she got much shorter I'd think hmm, that's kinda short, and if she got taller (and not proportionately wider), I'd think hmm, looking good.  

So I'll go with a slight wish that she were a little taller, and part of that is for her desire to be taller.  :thumbsup: 

The Mountain's Height Difference With His Wife (insider.com)

I bet she feels protected, and maybe that's it, maybe petite ladies seek the protection of larger males quite actively, and so they obtain what they seek.  I know my wife mentioned more than once early on in our relationship how safe I made her feel.  She actually needed that safety as an abusive and controlling ex was stalking her.  I caught him at it one day when he confronted her on her running route and I was watching for that behavior.  I had a "discussion" with him after which two things were true.  First, he needed medical attention, and second we never saw or heard from him again nor did anyone of their former mutual acquaintances.  Seems our discussion motivated him to move out of state.

8" taller than my wife, 6'1" verse 5'5".

Height does not matter to me, the girl I dated in Montana for 2 years before moving to Houston was 5'11".

Most my girlfriends were taller, but my guess is Montana and Wyoming are taller than average.

32 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

The Mountain's Height Difference With His Wife (insider.com)

I bet she feels protected, and maybe that's it, maybe petite ladies seek the protection of larger males quite actively, and so they obtain what they seek.  I know my wife mentioned more than once early on in our relationship how safe I made her feel.  She actually needed that safety as an abusive and controlling ex was stalking her.  I caught him at it one day when he confronted her on her running route and I was watching for that behavior.  I had a "discussion" with him after which two things were true.  First, he needed medical attention, and second we never saw or heard from him again nor did anyone of their former mutual acquaintances.  Seems our discussion motivated him to move out of state.

Wood. :wub: (her, not him).

Interesting observation, as my wife is the opposite.  I'm actually the tallest guy she ever dated at then 6'.  She feels like if I were much taller she would have been intimidated physically and not been interested in me.  Then again she never had a stalker. :dunno: 

29 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

8" taller than my wife, 6'1" verse 5'5".

Height does not matter to me, the girl I dated in Montana for 2 years before moving to Houston was 5'11".

Most my girlfriends were taller, but my guess is Montana and Wyoming are taller than average.

I think your opinion might change if you were short

edit:  but I do agree with TBay that it’s definitely more important for women

There are some geeks who are taller than i thought 

21 hours ago, peenie said:

In inches, how much taller are you from your partner or even if your partner is taller than you?

Approximately 4 inches.  I'm 5-10 (and change), she's 5-6 (and change).

18 hours ago, peenie said:

For you guys that are significantly taller than your partner: do wish she was taller or do you find her smallness in comparison to your height appealing? 

Just once I'd like to be able to go on a ride together at Disney world.

18 hours ago, peenie said:

In general, I think this is a bigger issue for women than men.  I don't think a man would wish his current girlfriend/wife would be taller, but I think it's rare that a guy would make height as a make or break issue.

4 hours ago, peenie said:

See above... I think it's a woman issue.  Girls who are 5'4" are more apt to be aggressive to date taller guys and guys just want a girl he likes.  Meaning, his issue isn't height, hers is.  I'm not "tall", but I couldn't care less if a girl is 4'8 (like Simone Biles as someone mentioned), of 6'10".... but the girl would.  Meaning, if she were 5'10" she wouldn't even consider a guy who's 5'6"  (let alone shorter), and instantly gravitate towards the taller guy.  Women are the vain ones on height, not men.

1 minute ago, wiffleball said:

Just once I'd like to be able to go on a ride together at Disney world.

I didn’t know you and Gutterboy were partners. Congrats!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In general, I think this is a bigger issue for women than men.  I don't think a man would wish his current girlfriend/wife would be taller, but I think it's rare that a guy would make height as a make or break issue.

See above... I think it's a woman issue.  Girls who are 5'4" are more apt to be aggressive to date taller guys and guys just want a girl he likes.  Meaning, his issue isn't height, hers is.  I'm not "tall", but I couldn't care less if a girl is 4'8 (like Simone Biles as someone mentioned), of 6'10".... but the girl would.  Meaning, if she were 5'10" she wouldn't even consider a guy who's 5'6"  (let alone shorter), and instantly gravitate towards the taller guy.  Women are the vain ones on height, not men.

Agree

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Pretty much in agreement here.

I know I have a preference but I was willing to go outside that preference during my dating years.  Were I still of dating age I would have a target range of Simon Biles to Tom Brady's new partner.  4'8" to 5'10'.  No limitations on race or hair color or eye color.   I do have limitations on build and especially on intelligence, sense of humor, and tolerance.   I would have been hard pressed to accept a Long Island, Jersey, or Boston accent all of which I find grating, but there, too, that would be a preference and not a rule.  For instance I prefer petite brunettes with maybe an Italian, Japanese, or Aussie accent but if I meet the equivilent of the Margot Robbie character in Wolf of Wallstreet I may well have sacrificed a kidney to get with that.

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

it's absolutely a bigger issue for women in general. I find that women who are on the taller side (5'8 and up) want to only date tall men and shorter women often only want a tall guy. Tall seems to be a generic desirable trait that women look for in a man. 

I'm not sure i'd have height as a make a break issue personally, but I tend to prefer women who are at least 5'5. I think the tallest I dated was 5'10... I would probably not go above 6 but it's just personal preference. 

I kind of think you are more in the minority when it comes to not caring if she is significantly taller than you. For a fling, most guys won't care if the girl is 6'10 and towers over them if she is hot but as a girlfriend/wife, I believe it plays more heavily into the equation than you think. Of course if you are a shorter guy, you'd have to make more concessions... but even a 5'6 guy is going to probably prefer his partner not be several inches taller. 

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

I know I have a preference but I was willing to go outside that preference during my dating years.  Were I still of dating age I would have a target range of Simon Biles to Tom Brady's new partner.  4'8" to 5'10'.  No limitations on race or hair color or eye color.   I do have limitations on build and especially on intelligence, sense of humor, and tolerance.   I would have been hard pressed to accept a Long Island, Jersey, or Boston accent all of which I find grating, but there, too, that would be a preference and not a rule.  For instance I prefer petite brunettes with maybe an Italian, Japanese, or Aussie accent but if I meet the equivilent of the Margot Robbie character in Wolf of Wallstreet I may well have sacrificed a kidney to get with that.

But as I mentioned in my post above, when it comes to more casual dating, most men are fine casting a much wider net when it comes to height, hair color, race, some irritating personality traits because maybe it sticks and she is "the one" but it's not our dating intent. If we were pressing to find a long term relationship, we would be more picky. Not as picky as women but more picky than "as long as shes hot and funny the rest of the package doesn't matter"

women apply that level of pickiness, or more, to even the most casual of dating. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

But as I mentioned in my post above, when it comes to more casual dating, most men are fine casting a much wider net when it comes to height, hair color, race, some irritating personality traits because maybe it sticks and she is "the one" but it's not our dating intent. If we were pressing to find a long term relationship, we would be more picky. Not as picky as women but more picky than "as long as shes hot and funny the rest of the package doesn't matter"

women apply that level of pickiness, or more, to even the most casual of dating. 

I found a subset of women willing to set aside many of their preferences for a sense of humor.  I am far from handsome, but I could make them laugh and that often got a foot in the door which lead to getting other appendages in other places.

25 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Pretty much in agreement here.

24 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

it's absolutely a bigger issue for women in general. I find that women who are on the taller side (5'8 and up) want to only date tall men and shorter women often only want a tall guy. Tall seems to be a generic desirable trait that women look for in a man. 

I'm not sure i'd have height as a make a break issue personally, but I tend to prefer women who are at least 5'5. I think the tallest I dated was 5'10... I would probably not go above 6 but it's just personal preference. 

I kind of think you are more in the minority when it comes to not caring if she is significantly taller than you. For a fling, most guys won't care if the girl is 6'10 and towers over them if she is hot but as a girlfriend/wife, I believe it plays more heavily into the equation than you think. Of course if you are a shorter guy, you'd have to make more concessions... but even a 5'6 guy is going to probably prefer his partner not be several inches taller. 

Honestly, 6'10 was just a random number I threw out there.  The issue that I think guys would have with a 6'10 woman is her build/figure, more than the height itself.  A girl that is that tall is extremely rare and that rarity of it (only 1% of the female population is 6' and over), could make her look undesirable.  Again though, I think that would be a build issue and not really a height issue.  I could be wrong though.

I agree with George where I'd prefer a 4'8" Biles over a 5'10 model, but it has nothing to do with height.  Biles has a build that I find more attractive and I don't find bean poles with limited curves to be all that attractive.  Girls that are really tall, tend to be more muscular and/or lanky.  As you know, I'm not opposed to muscular women, but a woman who's build like my fiancé, but say 10 inches taller and standing at 6'4", I don't think I'd find he build attractive.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Honestly, 6'10 was just a random number I threw out there.  The issue that I think guys would have with a 6'10 woman is her build/figure, more than the height itself.  A girl that is that tall is extremely rare and that rarity of it (only 1% of the female population is 6' and over), could make her look undesirable.  Again though, I think that would be a build issue and not really a height issue.  I could be wrong though.

regardless of build, I wouldn't prefer a woman my height (6'2) or taller. If she happens to be THE one, then it's not going to be a make or break... it's just with so many women in the 5'2-5'8 range, I don't see myself having an issue where it even comes into play. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

regardless of build, I wouldn't prefer a woman my height (6'2) or taller. If she happens to be THE one, then it's not going to be a make or break... it's just with so many women in the 5'2-5'8 range, I don't see myself having an issue where it even comes into play. 

Considering that only 1% or less of American women are 6'2 (or taller), and 95% fall between 5'2 and 5'8, yeah, I don't think you'd even run into a situation where you'd have to decide.

Considering that only 1% or less of American women are 6'2 (or taller), and 95% fall between 5'2 and 5'8, yeah, I don't think you'd even run into a situation where you'd have to decide.

For me, no. But bigger picture I think there are more men out there than you think who would not want their long term partner to be taller than them. Again, not as make or break as women seem to place on height but even 5'8 dudes are going to lean 5'8 and below. 

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

He could start hanging out at WNBA games and College womens volleygball tournaments.  Of couse the problem then would not be height but sexual orientation.

He could start hanging out at WNBA games and College womens volleygball tournaments.  Of couse the problem then would not be height but sexual orientation.

Excellent point.

5 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

indeed

9 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Hypothetically speaking, what if one was willing to be pegged? :unsure:

Case by case situation, I suppose.

So you’re saying there’s a chance!

I mean, for my friend 

15 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

20 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

For me, no. But bigger picture I think there are more men out there than you think who would not want their long term partner to be taller than them. Again, not as make or break as women seem to place on height but even 5'8 dudes are going to lean 5'8 and below. 

I know George is joking, but I think he's right on this, and why I think there's a psychological side to that as well.   Taller women tend to be more masculine because testosterone plays a part in this.  From a genetics standpoint, you are more likely to find higher levels HGH in taller people.  During puberty, people with higher level of testosterone grow more and faster.  When it's a guy, it's "yeah, no kidding", but when it's women, it looks awkward.  For that reason, you'll find that women who are taller are generally more likely to be more masculine (hence why a lot of female athletes are lesbians).  It's partly why men may not find taller women attractive, because they're too masculine.  But, on topic, again, I don't think this is a "height" issue.

From a psychological standpoint, I think guys are just conditioned to know that girls are not interested in guys who are shorter than them (or even within 2 inches of them), and hence, men build a profile of their likes that fall within that parameter.

I know George is joking, but I think he's right on this, and why I think there's a psychological side to that as well.   Taller women tend to be more masculine because testosterone plays a part in this.  From a genetics standpoint, you are more likely to find higher levels HGH in taller people.  During puberty, people with higher level of testosterone grow more and faster.  When it's a guy, it's "yeah, no kidding", but when it's women, it looks awkward.  You'll find that women who are taller are generally more likely to be more masculine (hence why a lot of female athletes are lesbians).

From a psychological standpoint, I think guys are just conditioned to know that girls are not interested in guys who are shorter than them (or even within 2 inches of them), and hence, men build a profile of their likes that fall within that parameter.

Explaining why Giselle Bundchen had great legs and a mannish face with a bit of an adams apple.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I know George is joking, but I think he's right on this, and why I think there's a psychological side to that as well.   Taller women tend to be more masculine because testosterone plays a part in this.  From a genetics standpoint, you are more likely to find higher levels HGH in taller people.  During puberty, people with higher level of testosterone grow more and faster.  When it's a guy, it's "yeah, no kidding", but when it's women, it looks awkward.  You'll find that women who are taller are generally more likely to be more masculine (hence why a lot of female athletes are lesbians).

of course theres a psychological side to it. Forgetting testosterone and genetics, it's still psychological. We know lots of men like to overcompensate and/or have inferiority complexes. Walking into the restaurant / party / family event with a girlfriend who is 2 inches taller before her heels is a blow to a lot of those guys egos. 

6 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Explaining why Giselle Bundchen had great legs and a mannish face with a bit of an adams apple.

And why Tommy pigtails liked her so much 

6 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

of course theres a psychological side to it. Forgetting testosterone and genetics, it's still psychological. We know lots of men like to overcompensate and/or have inferiority complexes. Walking into the restaurant / party / family event with a girlfriend who is 2 inches taller before her heels is a blow to a lot of those guys egos. 

Really?  I think it would be just the opposite.  If I saw a guy standing at 5'7 and walking in with a girl at 5'9, who's at 6' with heels, I'd walk up to him and congratulate him for pulling that off.  I'd be very proud of him.

14 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

What's weird, is that Bridget Moynahan is very pretty and feminine and is 5'10", just 1 inch shorter than Giselle.

Really?  I think it would be just the opposite.  If I saw a guy standing at 5'7 and walking in with a girl at 5'9, who's at 6' with heels, I'd walk up to him and congratulate him for pulling that off.  I'd be very proud of him.

I guess it's all people's perspectives. Again, it's not something I have to think about myself so maybe I am off base but I've known plenty of friends who didn't want to be "looking up" at their GF on the dance floor or whatever. Yeah, it always struck me as them being self conscious about being on the shorter side themselves but still a concern for them it seemed. 

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

What's weird, is that Bridget Moynahan is very pretty and feminine and is 5'10", just 1 inch shorter than Giselle.

I would have picked Bridget over Giselle, but that's me.  The thing is, the choice never presented itself to me.