Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Cardinals Shopping DeAndre Hopkins?

Could be good news if you own him in a keeper league.  

13 hours ago, weepaws said:

Could be good news if you own him in a keeper league.  

:wave:

Unless they trade him to a crappy team. :wall:

Jacksonville should be interested.  So should Detroit & Green Bay.

11 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

:wave:

Unless they trade him to a crappy team. :wall:

Jacksonville should be interested.  So should Detroit & Green Bay.

I'll throw Tennessee in the mix too.

10 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

I'll throw Tennessee in the mix too.

The only reason why I disagree is because he only has 2 years left on his deal.  They don't have QB and I don't think Henry can carry the load for 2 more years to where it's worth Tennessee giving up capital for a team that can't win with him.

Hopkins will play the next 2 years at age 31 & 32.  He missed 7 games due to injury last year and 2 more this year.  Father time isn't going to be his friend... point being, I don't think an extension is likely.  I think after the 2024 season, if Hopkins still wants to play, he's going to be a gun for hire.  Take a team friendly deal to play for someone who's in a good situation to win a Super Bowl.  Cincinnati for example, where Boyd will be leaving after the 2023 season.

its funny at first I thought this was just a rumour designed to get clicks on the internet.  but enough sources have picked this up I'm starting to think there may be something to this. 

Rumour is also that Hopkins is  asking for an extension to the existing contract, so if he is moved, we are looking at that scenario as well.

so this will add risk to the move of acquiring a player who is already on the wrong side of the age of 30.

I think Hopkins ends up with the Raiders. 

26 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I think Hopkins ends up with the Raiders. 

I am not sure that the raiders even know who their QB will be.   why go out and get a stud WR?  

in all honesty what that team needs is help on Defense.   

sure the offense could be better too but the defense was far worse.

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I am not sure that the raiders even know who their QB will be.   why go out and get a stud WR?  

in all honesty what that team needs is help on Defense.   

sure the offense could be better too but the defense was far worse.

They have a wr stud, Adams would be his name.   Why not add another very good wr that would be a benefit to their next Qb.  

I agree the Raiders need def help, looks like a rb also.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

They have a wr stud, Adams would be his name.   Why not add another very good wr that would be a benefit to their next Qb.  

I agree the Raiders need def help, looks like a rb also.  

yep.  too many holes to fill.  not sure now is the time to go QB shopping but that is what they have decided to do.

and If I were Jacobs I'd be inclined to move on from that situation

That being the case,  if they are replacing QB and RB. how are they gonna fix the defensive problems?   there are not enough picks in the draft for them to do it in one year.  Yet they are gonna go get Hopkins who will likely also cost some draft picks?   I cant see this working out for them.... but I've seen them do this sort of stupid stuff in the past so I guess we cant discount it.

Chicago, maybe? They've got the cap room, they've got draft picks (even though they foolishly used one trading for Chase Claypool), and they desperately need weapons for Fields.

Patriots would be another team. 

8 hours ago, weepaws said:

Patriots would be another team. 

Pats dont like spending money.  for that reason I think they are out.  they certainly wont provide him the extension he is looking for.

It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him return to the Texans.  Lol Ray I know it’s not going to happen, but I’m going to pick one team from each division just so you can type a response.  

The Browns with Watson at Qb would make for a good spot for Hopkins. 

21 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

Chicago, maybe? They've got the cap room, they've got draft picks (even though they foolishly used one trading for Chase Claypool), and they desperately need weapons for Fields.

They are at least 2 years out no need to spend this year

8 hours ago, weepaws said:

It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him return to the Texans.  Lol Ray I know it’s not going to happen, but I’m going to pick one team from each division just so you can type a response.  

I thought he left there for locker room reasons I don't think he'd go back

Brown for Packers seem like good choice

Cowboys

1 hour ago, taco breath said:

I thought he left there for locker room reasons I don't think he'd go back

Maybe the Texans upgraded their locker rooms 😁

Going into the NFC.  Niners would be a very interesting landing spot for mr Hopkins. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Going into the NFC.  Niners would be a very interesting landing spot for mr Hopkins. 

They can't afford him.

He had to take steroids just to be able to still compete in the league.  I'm cutting him from my keeper team.  Arizona is doing the right thing.  D Hopkins had a good to great run, maybe has a top year left.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

He had to take steroids just to be able to still compete in the league.  I'm cutting him from my keeper team.  Arizona is doing the right thing.  D Hopkins had a good to great run, maybe has a top year left.

Agreed 

My next stop would be the Lions.  I think he would fit in.  

Chargers or Dolphins are 2 teams that I think would get better with Hopkins veteran leadership. Not sure if they can realistically get him though.

48 minutes ago, RareN64Dream said:

Chargers or Dolphins are 2 teams that I think would get better with Hopkins veteran leadership. Not sure if they can realistically get him though.

yeah salary cap issues.   

looked at the cap and right now both teams have enough cap space but if they sign him they sign literally nobody else of consequence.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

yeah salary cap issues.   

looked at the cap and right now both teams have enough cap space but if they sign him they sign literally nobody else of consequence.

actually I misread.

both teams are effectively over the cap for next year so some players will need to be cut to make something like this happen.   to that end I dont know that this is a realistic signing because now a handful of players need to be let go to make this work

• Thanks 1

Panthers or Saints would be my picks in the NFC south.   

Thanks.  

saints would be good.

I still need to make a pick in the nfc east, I’ll take the Gmen.  

Giants are the obvious team in need of WR's, but as much as I think DHOP would look great in blue, our salary cap situation will still be in rough shape, courtesy of Gettleman.

The Giants 2023 cap will be improved from the cavernous pit it was in 2022, but 2024 is the year of significant improvement.  Aside from this, I'm not sure what this aging veteran has left in his tank.  He should still be highly productive for a couple more seasons, but if he's looking for another long term contract, then I don't know if I would be willing to take that risk.  This is still a guy without a SB ring, so that's still a motivating factor in signing him, assuming he is still motivated by it. But these days who knows?

4 hours ago, Running With Daboll said:

Giants are the obvious team in need of WR's, but as much as I think DHOP would look great in blue, our salary cap situation will still be in rough shape, courtesy of Gettleman.

The Giants 2023 cap will be improved from the cavernous pit it was in 2022, but 2024 is the year of significant improvement.  Aside from this, I'm not sure what this aging veteran has left in his tank.  He should still be highly productive for a couple more seasons, but if he's looking for another long term contract, then I don't know if I would be willing to take that risk.  This is still a guy without a SB ring, so that's still a motivating factor in signing him, assuming he is still motivated by it. But these days who knows?

I fully agree.

there is also the issue with DHop wanting a long extension.

its one thing for the Giants to bring him in on the existing contract for leadership and for a year or two he would be good. 

but it sounds like he is wanting a BIG extension to the contract and thats something the Giants should not be doing under any circumstance.   they have enough cap problems and signing him will just kick the can down the road.  in 2 years that contract will be terrible and everyone will be mad about it.

Stay the course.

this is the first playoff year, let them take their lumps like most teams and worry about veteran leadership later when they are a little closer to being a top contender.

7 hours ago, Running With Daboll said:

And Hopkins is due a big number. I'm not positive that he's worth it at this point. I'm sure they'll find a veteran WR in free agency but I doubt it will be Hopkins. 

The Gmen are simply my NFC east pick. I don’t see him going to the Eagles or even the Redskins. Cowboys would be another possibility. 

9 hours ago, Ray_T said:

this is the first playoff year, let them take their lumps like most teams and worry about veteran leadership later when they are a little closer to being a top contender

Yup, I'd much rather they draft a couple of nice prospects, and maybe go after a lower tiered guy like Gabe Davis in the off season.

50 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Yup, I'd much rather they draft a couple of nice prospects, and maybe go after a lower tiered guy like Gabe Davis in the off season.

in my opinion until they get those bad contracts off the payroll i truly think this is the only solution.

sign a reasonably priced guy and put all effort into drafting and developing prospects.