Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

In T-Rex related news

Interesting article, so much more is thought to be known about dinasours then when i was a kid.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/t-rex-smart-monkeys

The tyrannosaurus rex was the apex of all apex predators in its heyday over 65 million years ago, known more in pop culture for its ferocity than its smarts. But according to a new study, we may have been underestimating how intelligent these towering tyrants were this whole time.

In fact, compared to the intelligence of their peers, the T-Rex and other theropods — three clawed, bipedal dinosaurs — may have been the "primates of their time," said neuroscientist Suzana Herculano-Houzel, author of the study published in the Journal of Comparative Neurology, in a video about her research.

According to her findings, theropods had as many neurons in their brains as monkeys do today, with the T-Rex boasting "baboon-like" numbers of up to 3 billion neurons. That's a pretty scary level of intelligence for a killing machine the size of a house.

With that many neurons, a T-Rex wouldn't have just possessed uncanny cognition. It also might have lived longer, up to 40 years, Herculano-Houzel estimates. That's enough time and smarts to potentially be a social creature with its own culture, like primates and whales, and also suggests they may have worked together, too.

I want that job. You know, the one where you just make up s***? Here goes:

It turns out, the T-Rex could actually communicate. And, based on an absolutely no evidence whatsoever, but sheer conjecture says that they were the missing link towards how pyramids were created.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

It turns out, the T-Rex could actually communicate. And, based on an absolutely no evidence whatsoever, but sheer conjecture says that they were the missing link towards how pyramids were created.

I am not able to copy the text from the site, however the first ~10-15 lines from the below link give an idea of how they came to this conclusion.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/cne.25453

That's pretty cool, thanks for posting.  :thumbsup:  

If you add smart and long-lived to large and ferocious, I'm surprised they didn't take over the planet.  Maybe available food stunted population growth?  :dunno:

predators, especially apex predators, tend to be very intelligent.  they need to be to hunt prey.  prey tend to be dumb, as all they need to do is eat, run, hide.  so to think trex was smart isn't a stretch.

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

If you add smart and long-lived to large and ferocious, I'm surprised they didn't take over the planet.  Maybe available food stunted population growth:dunno:

That and a really large asteroid.

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

If you add smart and long-lived to large and ferocious, I'm surprised they didn't take over the planet.  Maybe available food stunted population growth?  :dunno:

⠀⠈⠻⣶⣤⣤⣴⣿⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⠻⠿⠿⠿⠿⠂⠀⠀⢦⣤⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢰⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣶⣤⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢸⣿⣦⡀⠀⠀⣸⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠈⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⣠⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣋⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠛⠿⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠛⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⡀⠀⡄⠀⠀⠈⢻⣆⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⣿⣿⡟⠀⠀⠈⠛⠛⠿⠿⢿⡀⢻⣦⣄⡀⢈⣿⡆⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢲⣄⡀⠀⠀⢸⣿⠁⠀⠐⢦⣄⡀⠀⢦⣤⣄⡀⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣿⣆⠀⠹⣿⣿⡄⠘⣿⣿⣿⡿⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⢿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠙⠿⠟⠀⠀⢹⣿⡷⢀⣿⣿⣿⠃⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⢿⣿⣿⣦⡀⠀⠀⣆⠀⠀⠀⣸⣿⣷⣿⣿⡿⠃⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠛⠿⣿⣶⣤⣘⣿⣶⣶⣿⣿⣿⠿⠋⠁⠀⠀⠀

38 minutes ago, Strike said:

They seemed pretty smart in Jurassic Park :thumbsup:

I think the raptors were smart. T Flex seemed pretty dumb

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

⠀⠈⠻⣶⣤⣤⣴⣿⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⠻⠿⠿⠿⠿⠂⠀⠀⢦⣤⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢰⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣶⣤⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢸⣿⣦⡀⠀⠀⣸⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠈⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⣠⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣋⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠛⠿⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠛⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⡀⠀⡄⠀⠀⠈⢻⣆⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⣿⣿⡟⠀⠀⠈⠛⠛⠿⠿⢿⡀⢻⣦⣄⡀⢈⣿⡆⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢲⣄⡀⠀⠀⢸⣿⠁⠀⠐⢦⣄⡀⠀⢦⣤⣄⡀⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣿⣆⠀⠹⣿⣿⡄⠘⣿⣿⣿⡿⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⢿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠙⠿⠟⠀⠀⢹⣿⡷⢀⣿⣿⣿⠃⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⢿⣿⣿⣦⡀⠀⠀⣆⠀⠀⠀⣸⣿⣷⣿⣿⡿⠃⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠛⠿⣿⣶⣤⣘⣿⣶⣶⣿⣿⣿⠿⠋⠁⠀⠀⠀

I'm sorry, I don't get this image.  :dunno:

I hope they came up with a way to goon f*** some of the other creatures. Must have sucked going through life with arms too small to reach your diick.

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'm sorry, I don't get this image.  :dunno:

It was supposed to be a meteor.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

It was supposed to be a meteor.

It looks more like a cat, but thanks for the attempt.  :thumbsup:

I hate these stories where somebody finds a 4-in bone in the dirt and suddenly they can surmise that the unicornosaurus lived 6 million years before the planet was created and had an average cruising speed of 40 miles per hour and herds of them used to chew rocks which became sand on our beaches.

5 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I hate these stories where somebody finds a 4-in bone in the dirt and suddenly they can surmise that the unicornosaurus lived 6 million years before the planet was created and had an average cruising speed of 40 miles per hour and herds of them used to chew rocks which became sand on our beaches.

People dedicate their lives to studying the bone structure and movement of animals. I can respect not only that they dedicates their lives working for decades on this one subject but at the same time also building on all past knowledge before them that they can come to conclusions that is tough for me to comprehend.

13 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

Looks like an MRI of the female reproductive system

I bet her name was Dottie. 

4 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I bet her name was Dottie. 

A vicious life sucking biotch from which there is no escape.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

People dedicate their lives to studying the bone structure and movement of animals. I can respect not only that they dedicates their lives working for decades on this one subject but at the same time also building on all past knowledge before them that they can come to conclusions that is tough for me to comprehend.

So tell me this. To my knowledge, nobody has ever found dinosaur skin. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But if so, how the hell have they figured out what color it is, what the texture is, whether it's spiky or smooth dry or slimy, s*** like that.

Same thing with all the so-called expertise about their vision. Pretty good seeing as how nobody has ever recovered a dinosaur eyeball.

3 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

So tell me this. To my knowledge, nobody has ever found dinosaur skin. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But if so, how the hell have they figured out what color it is, what the texture is, whether it's spiky or smooth dry or slimy, s*** like that.

Same thing with all the so-called expertise about their vision. Pretty good seeing as how nobody has ever recovered a dinosaur eyeball.

I bet Bill E has!!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Colors are guessed at, however texture is not.

Fossilized skin is rare, but does exist.

https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-claim-to-have-found-a-rare-dinosaur-mummy-with-some-fossilized-skin

4 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I was just going to post this. How on earth does she know they had as many neurons as monkeys without having an actual fresh T-Rex brain?

PBS did a documentary about finding and unearthing Sue the T-Rex. Fret doc. She’s in a museum in Chicago. 

6 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Global....cooling?