Ultra Max Power

Amazon Prime - $150 a year - Why should I keep it?

Less then 15$ bucks a month for streaming prime, sports and next day shipping. Yeah I'm still in. 

57 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

They used to dominate, but that was before all the other companies started seeing the $$ and keeping their content to themselves.  NF tries with original content, but I think it's just about always a notch below the original movies and shows from HBO and Prime.   About the most I find is an occasional documentary or stand-up special.  And like you, I am overruled in my house by my kids and wife.  No way I keep it if it's just me. 

If I could only have one streaming service it would be HBO Max.  

We have max and Disney + with the Hulu subscription.

I'm definitely excited for the Last of us soon, but otherwise I don't find a lot on HBO max. Hulu on demand is where we tend to go. I'm a sucker for murder shows.

48 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I still have my original netflix subscription.  Once a week, I get my little red envelope and watch something on Bluray.  Streaming has gotten better and better, but streaming compression still irritates me, so for anything I really want to get the full effect I want to see it on Bluray.  

Do they have 4K discs available at all? 

We live a little bit out of town, and our internet is garbage satellite internet, so I still use and buy physical discs way more than I'd guess the average person does.  I get a lot of blurays through our library system too.  It's very rare I can't find a movie that way.  

2 minutes ago, Ultra Max Power said:

We have max and Disney + with the Hulu subscription.

I'm definitely excited for the Last of us soon, but otherwise I don't find a lot on HBO max. Hulu on demand is where we tend to go. I'm a sucker for murder shows.

Gotcha.  At the end of the day, we like what we like.   Most of what we use Hulu for is Buffy rewatches. :unsure:

Netflix is still tops for me As a streaming service. Even their original content. Some others have narrowed the gap but still lagging. 

23 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

Do they have 4K discs available at all? 

We live a little bit out of town, and our internet is garbage satellite internet, so I still use and buy physical discs way more than I'd guess the average person does.  I get a lot of blurays through our library system too.  It's very rare I can't find a movie that way.  

Nope, don't have 4K stuff on DVD yet.  Disney channel has 4K streaming, I have fiber optic so that looks really good, but it's Disney.  They do have the National Geographic stuff in 4K and that's cool, probably the only reason I've kept the channel. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Netflix is still tops for me As a streaming service. Even their original content. Some others have narrowed the gap but still lagging. 

What do you watch on NF then?  

I just looked, and while I do trash NF a bit, I will give a few shows credit and I do love Cobra Kai, Atypical, After Life, and I thought Black Summer had promise, but I didn't go back.   I also have Dark in my queue, but I know that is going to require 100% of my attention and I haven't gotten to that.  

However, my streaming watching is probably 90% movies, 10% shows and that is where they fall way behind for me.   The only movies I have in my queue on NF currently are Glass Onion, All Quiet on the Western Front,  and White Noise.  That last one I have little interest in, but I am guessing it will be up for awards so I will watch it if that's the case.    Other than that it's 5-6 random documentaries that looked interesting at the beginning of the month when I updated my list.  

My other streaming options have 50-60 things queued up in each, my NF literally had 11 things in it.  

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Nope, don't have 4K stuff on DVD yet.  Disney channel has 4K streaming, I have fiber optic so that looks really good, but it's Disney.  They do have the National Geographic stuff in 4K and that's cool, probably the only reason I've kept the channel. 

I think Prime and Disney are the best so far for 4K content.    I think NF does as well, but they don't seem to label which are 4k and which aren't, it just automatically gives you the best option your TV can stream I believe.   But like you said, one is Disney so the 4k options are basically Star Wars and Marvel junk.  Not a lot of variety there.  

3 hours ago, BuckSwope said:

What do you watch on NF then?  

I just looked, and while I do trash NF a bit, I will give a few shows credit and I do love Cobra Kai, Atypical, After Life, and I thought Black Summer had promise, but I didn't go back.   I also have Dark in my queue, but I know that is going to require 100% of my attention and I haven't gotten to that.  

However, my streaming watching is probably 90% movies, 10% shows and that is where they fall way behind for me.   The only movies I have in my queue on NF currently are Glass Onion, All Quiet on the Western Front,  and White Noise.  That last one I have little interest in, but I am guessing it will be up for awards so I will watch it if that's the case.    Other than that it's 5-6 random documentaries that looked interesting at the beginning of the month when I updated my list.  

My other streaming options have 50-60 things queued up in each, my NF literally had 11 things in it.  

I’m more a show streamer. Ozark was probably the top show on any platform. And my favorite… The last kingdom. 
Add in Witcher, cobra Kai, squid game and Alice in borderland which I recently started a thread about, stranger things, Vikings Valhalla, sex education, umbrella academy, dark, Lupin… there are definitely more I’m forgetting about as well as some that are not Netflix original but I believe only available there like Kingdom 

shiit, Peaky Blinders is one of my favorites and it was BBC original then continued by Netflix so semi original 

some movies I’ve seen and liked: glass onion, bright, spider head, the Irishman, red notice 

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:56 PM, TimHauck said:

You might consider Walmart+ for $100 which has a lot of the same stuff, (and now includes Paramount+ streaming) and also free fresh grocery delivery from Walmart instead of Whole Paycheck

If Walmart works for you, fine, but I don't shop for anything there unless there's absolutely no alternative.

Around this time last year, I ordered 16 pairs of socks. Received 1 pair. Checked the email order confirmation & figured out the problem. On the left side, it said 16 pairs $42, to the right it said quantity 1. Did an online chat with Mohammed, pointed out what I figured had happened. He agreed, said Walmart would address the issue, & re-ordered. 3 or 4 days later, the same thing, 1 pair. Went directly to the local Walmart customer service desk. Ironically, the guy who helped me was also named Mohamed. I even printed a copy of the order so I could clearly point out what was happening. Just like Mohamed #1, he assured me that Walmart would address the issue and it wouldn't happen again. You guessed it, 3 or 4 days later, I received 1 pair of socks. Went back to customer service & told the guy that I wanted a $42 store credit on a card. Used it the same day & opened an account at target.  

Just got my yearly rewards statement, $250 in cash back. More than pays for itself if you use the card with 5% cash back. 

On 1/27/2023 at 3:20 PM, easilyscan said:

If Walmart works for you, fine, but I don't shop for anything there unless there's absolutely no alternative.

Around this time last year, I ordered 16 pairs of socks. Received 1 pair. Checked the email order confirmation & figured out the problem. On the left side, it said 16 pairs $42, to the right it said quantity 1. Did an online chat with Mohammed, pointed out what I figured had happened. He agreed, said Walmart would address the issue, & re-ordered. 3 or 4 days later, the same thing, 1 pair. Went directly to the local Walmart customer service desk. Ironically, the guy who helped me was also named Mohamed. I even printed a copy of the order so I could clearly point out what was happening. Just like Mohamed #1, he assured me that Walmart would address the issue and it wouldn't happen again. You guessed it, 3 or 4 days later, I received 1 pair of socks. Went back to customer service & told the guy that I wanted a $42 store credit on a card. Used it the same day & opened an account at target.  

Were they actually from Walmart or a “third party seller” or whatever?

I’ve had a few issues with the delivery/pickup as well, but still worth it IMO.

On 1/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, RogerDodger said:

Didn't read the whole thread, but, the new price $139 now includes the full music library I think.

Without reading back, I think I commented earlier that if you are someone who enjoys amazon prime and thinks they benefit from it, the new price doesn't seem like anything to quibble over... but then again, that's how they get you. Small increases so you think, "eh, still not bad for all I get".

Just for me personally I never considered paying for it because the benefits are slim to none. I don't order a single cheap item that would require me to pay shipping. Most of my orders are over the $35 (at one point it was $25) threshold to get free shipping anyway and my items always arrive very quickly, sometimes next day which I'm not even expecting. I also feel like some people have been complaining that prime shipping has been slow? Not sure if that's true or not. I don't feel like I am missing much on Prime Video... I saw every TNF game (sadly :cry:) and I rarely use amazon music but when I do, lately it's been playing my exact requests. A commercial now and then doesn't bother me. Prime day deals are mostly a sham and theres obviously plenty of them that don't require membership anyway.

I will admit that while doing some xmas shopping there were a few items I wanted to get for family members that were a bit cheaper with prime. So I simply did the free trial and cancelled it earlier this month :dunno:

17 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Were they actually from Walmart or a “third party seller” or whatever?

All I know for sure is that I ordered them directly from the Walmart website. If it is/was a 'third-party seller' once Walmart agrees to let them sell directly from their site, they should at least make an effort to make sure they do business right.