Sign in to follow this  
League Champion

2023 NFL Mock Draft

The BIG question is:

What will the Bears do?

What they do will have a tremendous impact on how the rest of the draft goes.  If they decide that they just can't pass up on Young, or even Stroud, then it's going to be a wild draft.  I could see 4 or 5 QB's going in the first 10 picks, possibly more.

Just for speculative fun, if that scenario plays out, where do you see Fields going?  I have a couple of landing spots for him, but the team that ultimately trades for him would be taking a significant risk.

15 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

What will the Bears do?

This is true. Seattle may trade for Fields.

They trade Fields for a gang of picks and draft Young at 1. They'd get an upgrade at QB, a longer rookie contract and a ton of picks. 

I wouldn't rule it out. They have to be exploring that option. 

11 minutes ago, League Champion said:

They trade Fields for a gang of picks and draft Young at 1. They'd get an upgrade at QB, a longer rookie contract and a ton of picks. 

Seattle makes for an interesting landing spot for Fields. To be honest, I hadn't even considered them.

Carroll can't be convinced that Geno is his franchise QB, so it makes some sense that he'd be in the market for his next guy.  His offenses are primarily built on the running game, so he might fit in that scheme.

It'll be really interesting to know who might have Fields on their radars.  He is such a hit or miss proposition, whoever winds up with him will either look like geniuses or absolute fools.  Of course all of this is just speculation, and the Bears might have already decided that Fields is still their guy. But if they do trade him away and keep their #1 pick, all hell is going to break loose!

Should be fun.

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

No way ..fields may of had a few good games but he sucks...,reminds me of a early kyler Murray...using his legs to get him out of trouble due to his low football iq

27 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

No way ..fields may of had a few good games but he sucks...,reminds me of a early kyler Murray...using his legs to get him out of trouble due to his low football iq

I agree, he sucks and that's kinda my point. The Bears may want to unload him now. I guarantee someone will pay a premium for him. Just look at some of the crap in the league. 

2 hours ago, gcmmidwest said:

I agree, he sucks and that's kinda my point. The Bears may want to unload him now. I guarantee someone will pay a premium for him. Just look at some of the crap in the league. 

Not sure about the "suck" part guys.  I think if you put him behind a capable O line, and give him some weapons other than cast offs and no names, he might be someone to build a franchise on.  The problem is...how much time and money do you invest to find out what you've really got?

One thing is certain, he'll be a starting QB "somewhere" next year, be it Chicago or elsewhere.  If it's the Bears, then they truly believe that the kid can develop quickly.  If it's somewhere else, then the team he goes to thinks the same way, but they will be under the microscope for as long as it takes to find out who Justin Fields really is.

I could be wrong, but I agree with you guys in principle, and I think the Bears should move on from him, especially when you have Young just sitting there.  Ironically, the Bears are in a tough spot with the top pick. If they keep Fields and trade out of the #1 spot, they can regret that decision for a decade or more. But if they decide to move Fields and he turns out to be a monster, they will look just as inept as an organization.

I'd take that risk if I were them.  Even if Fields turns out to be a home run, you still have Young there to buffer it.

1 hour ago, Running With Daboll said:

I'd take that risk if I were them.  Even if Fields turns out to be a home run, you still have Young there to buffer it.

It's going to be interesting either way because somebody is backing up the Brink's Truck for that #1 pick or Fields. The Bears have so many needs that they have to listen. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, League Champion said:

They trade Fields for a gang of picks and draft Young at 1.

i dont think they get a gang of picks for Fields.

They will get at most a second round pick.    to date, he has not been that good.   I'd argue hes more suspect than prospect at this point.

9 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I'd argue hes more suspect than prospect at this point.

And I agree but it's not that elementary either. He's got nothing to work with there in Chicago. There will be some GM/Coach that believes they can get the most out of him. He's got the pedigree, he's an exceptional athlete and has a cannon arm. If you drop him in this year's draft right now he's a top 10 pick, without question. He's ahead of Levis 

I don't know but I'll be there partying in kc :banana:

3 hours ago, League Champion said:

And I agree but it's not that elementary either. He's got nothing to work with there in Chicago. There will be some GM/Coach that believes they can get the most out of him. He's got the pedigree, he's an exceptional athlete and has a cannon arm. If you drop him in this year's draft right now he's a top 10 pick, without question. He's ahead of Levis 

I'd have to disagree.

the recency bias in terms of prospects would have the top 3 or 4 QB prospects ranked higher than him.

Fields is not yet proven at the pro level after 2 full seasons.  sure he has talent, but every QB taken in the first round or two has talent and likely half less make it in the NFL.

sure some team may look at him and  think they can rehab him in a better system like what Seattle did with Geno.   but even if his maximum upside is similar to Geno, I think most teams would prefer to have a top 3 QB in this draft (which is considered a good QB draft) than Geno.

Seattle may actually be the best place for Geno to land because historically they have had a strong D  and a great run game, which means all they really need is a solid game manager (which is I think what Geno is)   so if they use that draft pick to get a difference maker on D (or trade down to get extra picks) I can see Seattle totally happy to stand pat at QB.   but I dont think many teams would take this route with Geno or with Fields.

9 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Seattle may actually be the best place for Geno to land because historically they have had a strong D  and a great run game, which means all they really need is a solid game manager (which is I think what Geno is)   so if they use that draft pick to get a difference maker on D (or trade down to get extra picks) I can see Seattle totally happy to stand pat at QB.   but I dont think many teams would take this route with Geno or with Fields.

I could definitely see the Seahawks offering Geno to a 2 year extension but I'm not sure that's what he wants. This is is his only shot at a huge contract. I'm not sure he'll get it but that's what he's going to demand. It would definitely be a wise move for Seattle to keep Geno around and maybe draft Levis at 5 for the future. I'd overpay Geno to be a bridge QB. 

This draft is going to be fun, anything can happen 

5 hours ago, League Champion said:

I could definitely see the Seahawks offering Geno to a 2 year extension but I'm not sure that's what he wants. This is is his only shot at a huge contract. I'm not sure he'll get it but that's what he's going to demand. It would definitely be a wise move for Seattle to keep Geno around and maybe draft Levis at 5 for the future. I'd overpay Geno to be a bridge QB. 

This draft is going to be fun, anything can happen 

This is about as much leverage as Geno will ever have, so he might as well shoot for the stars (within reason), even if he only makes it to the moon.

Let's be real about Geno, he ain't all that, but I give him credit for revitalizing his career the way he did.  I sure hope he doesn't screw it up by demanding more money than he's actually worth, that would be a foolish decision on his part.

1 hour ago, Running With Daboll said:

This is about as much leverage as Geno will ever have, so he might as well shoot for the stars (within reason), even if he only makes it to the moon.

Let's be real about Geno, he ain't all that, but I give him credit for revitalizing his career the way he did.  I sure hope he doesn't screw it up by demanding more money than he's actually worth, that would be a foolish decision on his part.

well, he is a solid game manager and nothing more. 

most teams are not happy with a game manager so I dont see the demand for his services being exceptionally high.   hes still a guy who doent have a ton of leverage.  he has some.  but not as much as some think.

but I could be wrong here.  I have been before.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:42 PM, Ray_T said:

i dont think they get a gang of picks for Fields.

They will get at most a second round pick.    to date, he has not been that good.   I'd argue hes more suspect than prospect at this point.

This, exactly.....which is why they wont' be trading Fields and will instead be trading the #1 overall pick for a nice package of '23, '24 and maybe even '25  picks.

6 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

This, exactly.....which is why they wont' be trading Fields and will instead be trading the #1 overall pick for a nice package of '23, '24 and maybe even '25  picks.

Who's better Fields or Young at #1? 

If you think Young is better then bye bye Justin 

I was responding to Ray Ray's comment, I highlighted it and agreed with him.....his reason of "they won't get a gang of picks for Fields" is why Fields won't be traded and the #1 pick will be traded...."a gang of picks".  

13 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

1 pick will be traded...."a gang of picks".  

But if Justin Fields sucks why would they trade the #1 pick? Just draft Young, right? 

Who said the Bears think he sucks? 
How do we know how they value him within the organization?  Poles did not draft him so there are no ties there.  How do we know what Poles thinks of Young?  CJ?  Levis?  Another QB later in this draft?  They are many pieces away from being a legitimate playoff team, I'm sure this new front office knows that, they are in no hurry.... If I was Poles I'm trading the pick for a HAUL of futures and rolling with Fields and some vet back up for the year, positioning myself to get Mr. Caleb Williams in next years draft...but that is just my humble opinion of what I would do.  

18 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Who said the Bears think he sucks? 
How do we know how they value him within the organization?  Poles did not draft him so there are no ties there.  How do we know what Poles thinks of Young?  CJ?  Levis?  Another QB later in this draft?  They are many pieces away from being a legitimate playoff team, I'm sure this new front office knows that, they are in no hurry.... If I was Poles I'm trading the pick for a HAUL of futures and rolling with Fields and some vet back up for the year, positioning myself to get Mr. Caleb Williams in next years draft...but that is just my humble opinion of what I would do.  

Here's my thinking. Draft Young at #1. You get a younger, better prospect on a longer rookie contract. You then Trade Fields for multiple good picks, which they would DEFINITELY get, then load up on young talent. 

To me that makes a lot of sense. 

Here's my thinking. Draft Young at #1. You get a younger, better prospect on a longer rookie contract. You then Trade Fields for multiple good picks, which they would DEFINITELY get, then load up on young talent. 

Are you Craftsman?

10 hours ago, League Champion said:

Makes sense to me, they would essentially still be gaining draft capital, it just depends on what they can get for Fields.  They might not get the same value for Fields than they would if they traded away the #1 pick, but as long as the return is reasonable, then it should work.

17 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, he is a solid game manager and nothing more. 

most teams are not happy with a game manager so I dont see the demand for his services being exceptionally high.   hes still a guy who doent have a ton of leverage.  he has some.  but not as much as some think.

but I could be wrong here.  I have been before.

You're essentially repeating what I said.  I think Geno's services will be needed, but I don't think there will be many options for him.  His best bet is not to overestimate his own value.  He doesn't necessarily have to jump at the first offer, but he certainly can't be expecting to be paid like a top shelf QB is.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:50 PM, kcBlitzkrieg said:

I was responding to Ray Ray's comment, I highlighted it and agreed with him.....his reason of "they won't get a gang of picks for Fields" is why Fields won't be traded and the #1 pick will be traded...."a gang of picks".  

perhaps you misunderstood my intent.  as per the quote below, it was suggested they trade fields for a gang of picks.   I'm just saying they wont get a gang of picks for him.   they will get one.  probably a third, maybe a second if someone really likes him.  if they get a gang of picks they will be low picks that are equal in value to a 2nd or third round pick.

as for what they do with the #1 pick..... if they like any QB on the board better than Fields, they will take him.   you dont often get your choice of pick in a deep QB class.   walking from the chance and going with fields is how GMs get fired.   if Fields turns out to be anything less than above average the axe will come swiftly.    

This may even be the type of situation where ownership meddles and decides what is going to happen.   and the return on fields is of little consequence.   maybe they keep him to bridge the new QB, or maybe they dish him and sign a vet like Flacco or Dalton to mentor their new draft pick.   But I'd say its almost guaranteed that they will use the pick to get a QB.   Someone would need to send an awful lot of first round picks to make me want to part with that pick if I was the GM.   And thats the way it should be.

On 1/18/2023 at 5:34 AM, League Champion said:

They trade Fields for a gang of picks and draft Young at 1.

7 hours ago, Ray_T said:

as per the quote below, it was suggested they trade fields for a gang of picks

Let me reiterate. I'm from the South. I forgot I'm talking to Yankees 😊

By gang of picks I mean they'll do really well in what they get for Fields. That could be 2 picks, but 2 good picks. I didn't mean they'll get the Vikings entire draft aka Hershel. I stand corrected. 

15 hours ago, Ray_T said:

perhaps you misunderstood my intent.  as per the quote below, it was suggested they trade fields for a gang of picks.   I'm just saying they wont get a gang of picks for him.   they will get one.  probably a third, maybe a second if someone really likes him.  if they get a gang of picks they will be low picks that are equal in value to a 2nd or third round pick.

as for what they do with the #1 pick..... if they like any QB on the board better than Fields, they will take him.   you dont often get your choice of pick in a deep QB class.   walking from the chance and going with fields is how GMs get fired.   if Fields turns out to be anything less than above average the axe will come swiftly.    

This may even be the type of situation where ownership meddles and decides what is going to happen.   and the return on fields is of little consequence.   maybe they keep him to bridge the new QB, or maybe they dish him and sign a vet like Flacco or Dalton to mentor their new draft pick.   But I'd say its almost guaranteed that they will use the pick to get a QB.   Someone would need to send an awful lot of first round picks to make me want to part with that pick if I was the GM.   And thats the way it should be.

Yes....I agreed and still agree on the first two statements in BOLD.  

But, how can you make blanket statements on an organization like the other comments in BOLD when the BEARS organization has never shown the will to do things like you suggest?  These are your opinions based on public perception and what other organizations have done.  They have nothing to do with the Bears.  

How long has the Bears GM been in power?  

Did he draft Fields?  

Who owns the Bears?  What has she (or the family) ever done to give you any indication that they are the Jerrah Jones / Daniel Snyder type?  

"Almost guaranteed" huh....OK.  

24 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

But, how can you make blanket statements on an organization like the other comments in BOLD when the BEARS organization has never shown the will to do things like you suggest?  These are your opinions based on public perception and what other organizations have done.  They have nothing to do with the Bears.  

Did he draft Fields?  

Who owns the Bears?  What has she (or the family) ever done to give you any indication that they are the Jerrah Jones / Daniel Snyder type?  

Everyone is missing the point. The Bears don't need a "gang of picks for Fields". They have the #1 overall pick. If Young, Stroud or Levis are better prospects, which they are, then don't you have to go QB? That gives them the flexibility to open up a bidding war for Fields. And if you think there's not a team who will absolutely overpay for Fields then you don't know football. 

There are some serious QB needy teams who won't get a shot at the big 3 this year. 

43 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Everyone is missing the point. The Bears don't need a "gang of picks for Fields". They have the #1 overall pick. If Young, Stroud or Levis are better prospects, which they are, then don't you have to go QB? That gives them the flexibility to open up a bidding war for Fields. And if you think there's not a team who will absolutely overpay for Fields then you don't know football. 

There are some serious QB needy teams who won't get a shot at the big 3 this year. 

No, I think we are all arguing different points..... at least I am anyway.  

With regards to your most recent point....If the Bears believe one of those QBs is BETTER than Fields then yes, draft away and then figure out what to do with Fields whether that is at that moment of the draft or 3 months later.  No one anywhere said anything about overpaying for Fields.  NFL teams overpay for players every year, year in and out, nothing new.  

9 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Did he draft Fields?  

well, you have quoted a lot of things haha but I get your frustration.   so to clarify the comments you refer to are all but the first two bolded as per below, the comments you refer to....

you dont often get your choice of pick in a deep QB class.   walking from the chance and going with fields is how GMs get fired.   if Fields turns out to be anything less than above average the axe will come swiftly. 

so my comment here is not off base.  bears have their choice of pick.   if they dont take it and any of the projected top picks at QB turn into the next peyton manning while they guy they stick with stagnates, that is a fireable offense in nearly any scenario I can think of.  only exception is of ownership makes the call instead of the GM.  but even then....  the owner doesnt wanna look like a dummy.   the GM likely falls on that sword anyhow.

This may even be the type of situation where ownership meddles and decides what is going to happen.   and the return on fields is of little consequence.   maybe they keep him to bridge the new QB, or maybe they dish him and sign a vet like Flacco or Dalton to mentor their new draft pick.   But I'd say its almost guaranteed that they will use the pick to get a QB. 

this is likely the piece you really didnt like.  and fair enough.  Bears are not a great organization.  I get it.

funny thing is I dont think they did a terrible job of bringing in QBs when drafting.   I personally believe they drafted good players but then ruined them.   either with defensive coaches who dont know how to support or not providing that rookie QB with the support they need on the field to succeed.

if you wanna develop a QB you hire a good offensive head coach, or you pay top dollar to get the best available OC hired to oversee the development of your star player.    You make moves to shore up deficiencies in the line and you make sure that QB has at least one or two viable WR to throw to.   aging vets are ok so long as they have a reputation of being good route runners.   The key is having players who will be in the place they are supposed to be when the QB does his reads.   otherwise your QB doesnt learn anything.

what you dont do is draft a top QB and throw him behind a leaky line with subpar WR.   If you dont have a good offensive coach, the development curve is even tougher.  You get to this place, and you are just asking for trouble and you ruin your prospect when that happens.

yes you are right there is no guarantee the bears act in this way when they havent always in the past, but this is so common sense to anyone with even a moderate level of football knowledge that you have to assume they eventually resort to this line of thinking.

the bigger issue is if they do draft who they feel is the best guy on the board, what will they do to support their top rookie QB?    I think there is a fair chance they draft and ruin another top prospect unless the QB is so good that he develops despite the lack of support there.

On 1/19/2023 at 5:27 PM, League Champion said:

Here's my thinking. Draft Young at #1. You get a younger, better prospect on a longer rookie contract.

The Chicago Bears just don’t have a great track record when it comes to quarterbacks. It is that one position they just can’t solve throughout their team’s history.

With Mitchell Trubisky signing a free agent deal to be Josh Allen’s backup with the Buffalo Bills, it is another example of a Bears first-round quarterback’s career continuing in another NFL city.

Here is a rundown of what has happened to every Bears quarterback taken in the first round in Chicago history.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/all-chicago-bears-qb-drafted-first-round/

fields is their best shot, in like, 100 years.

Bears won’t be a playoff team with Fields at Qb.   

9 hours ago, taco breath said:

fields is their best shot, in like, 100 years.

That's sad because Fields is horrendous. He sure as hell can run though. 

5 hours ago, League Champion said:

That's sad because Fields is horrendous. He sure as hell can run though. 

well, he has improved over the course of the year, but at this point he is looking like he tops out as an average to slightly above average QB.   They now have the #1 overall pick.   Why should they be satisfied with mediocre? Why not go for the home run?

Thats all I'm saying.

Because any pick is a roll of the dice, and you know what you got with fields.

There are super bowl winning teams with average QBs

Deal with it. 😎

On 1/21/2023 at 10:42 PM, Ray_T said:

well, you have quoted a lot of things haha but I get your frustration.   so to clarify the comments you refer to are all but the first two bolded as per below, the comments you refer to....

so my comment here is not off base.  bears have their choice of pick.   if they dont take it and any of the projected top picks at QB turn into the next peyton manning while they guy they stick with stagnates, that is a fireable offense in nearly any scenario I can think of.  only exception is of ownership makes the call instead of the GM.  but even then....  the owner doesnt wanna look like a dummy.   the GM likely falls on that sword anyhow.

this is likely the piece you really didnt like.  and fair enough.  Bears are not a great organization.  I get it.

funny thing is I dont think they did a terrible job of bringing in QBs when drafting.   I personally believe they drafted good players but then ruined them.   either with defensive coaches who dont know how to support or not providing that rookie QB with the support they need on the field to succeed.

if you wanna develop a QB you hire a good offensive head coach, or you pay top dollar to get the best available OC hired to oversee the development of your star player.    You make moves to shore up deficiencies in the line and you make sure that QB has at least one or two viable WR to throw to.   aging vets are ok so long as they have a reputation of being good route runners.   The key is having players who will be in the place they are supposed to be when the QB does his reads.   otherwise your QB doesnt learn anything.

what you dont do is draft a top QB and throw him behind a leaky line with subpar WR.   If you dont have a good offensive coach, the development curve is even tougher.  You get to this place, and you are just asking for trouble and you ruin your prospect when that happens.

yes you are right there is no guarantee the bears act in this way when they havent always in the past, but this is so common sense to anyone with even a moderate level of football knowledge that you have to assume they eventually resort to this line of thinking.

the bigger issue is if they do draft who they feel is the best guy on the board, what will they do to support their top rookie QB?    I think there is a fair chance they draft and ruin another top prospect unless the QB is so good that he develops despite the lack of support there.

It has no bearing on what "I like" or "don't like"....I apologize if I sound "frustrated" as that is not the case and not how I mean to come off....  My point in posing those questions to you is that WE DON'T KNOW..... YOU are making huge assumptions based on your perceived knowledge of how front offices think and operate.  Your comment "this is so common sense to anyone with even a moderate level of football knowledge" says all right there.... 

So IF the Bears do not do what you say, which is take a QB #1 overall then trade Fields, Ryan Poles is a dummy and his level of football knowledge is LESS than moderate???  

Fields isn’t going to win any Super Bowls , one must get into the playoffs first, and he’s not good enough to take the Bears to the playoffs. They need a Qb.