Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

Debt Ceiling 2023

21 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Nuclear fusion is 50+ years out. 

It takes 10-15 years to build a full scale power plant.

It takes 10-15 years to build a scale model plant.

It will take at least 15-30 years to discover how to get more energy out of a cold fusion reaction compared to what you put in.

What should we do in the short term? Burn coal and gas? 

I don’t think it’s 50 years away. But assuming you’re correct, I would still be very cautious about investing money in solutions that won’t eventually pay for themselves. 

24 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Janet Yellen is taking "extraordinary measures" which enables Republicans to engage in their version of virtue signaling for a few months and put off folding until ~June. Expect four months of strutting around like peacocks before they "get serious" and cave.

Cool thanks! I look forward to the Rusty RINOs barking but as we all know they have no bite.

Nothing will change.

Hows Florida? Did I miss your moving and getting settled in write up?

On 1/18/2023 at 12:52 PM, posty said:

Just get rid of the debt ceiling completely, neither side, especially Democrats, don't care about the debt, so why bother dealing with this every so often...

I mean, it is just money, right?

Exactly. The debt ceiling is the dumbest dickdance they do. They will always hit it and they will always raise it. 

23 minutes ago, lod001 said:

The debt ceiling is the dumbest dickdance they do.

sig worthy.

5 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Cool thanks! I look forward to the Rusty RINOs barking but as we all know they have no bite.

Nothing will change.

Hows Florida? Did I miss your moving and getting settled in write up?

My family is in Harrison Township. I'm unemployed, and living off my sister's kindness with my kids enrolled in public schools.

I should have a job soon enough driving a van to pick up disabled wheel chair patients and take them to doctors' appointments, but it's been slow to develop. My wife is studying for a Florida Real Estate license and I'm studying for a teacher's certification test. I'm eligible to sit for and take the test, its three parts and the two are easy but I won't passing the third part of it, the professional teachers' certification, until I get the mmumbo-jumbo technical jargon vocabulary and pedagogy training down pat ... which may take a while.

This issue isn’t going away. 
Republicans say they won’t agree to raise it unless Biden and the Democrats agree to negotiate over the budget. The Democrats say no, don’t take the US economy hostage. But the bigger problem is that Republicans can’t agree by themselves about what they want. (IMO, that is because what Republican politicians really want is to show their supporters that they’re serious about cutting spending without ever really cutting spending.) 

None of this would be bothersome to me, it’s just politics as usual and eventually, towards June, the two sides should get together and work it out….except…my biggest fear is that there are some extremists on the Republican side who don’t want any kind of deal. They want to blow things up. 

On 1/19/2023 at 1:34 PM, The Real timschochet said:

I would still be very cautious about investing money in solutions that won’t eventually pay for themselves. 

Like wind and solar.  

2 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Those were exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that. 

And the current administration is committing 100's of billions to this crap.  

Who said this? Hint it was 2006.

"Because it was the result of willful and reckless disregard for the warnings that were given and for the fundamentals of economic management, I'm voting against the debt limit increase."

5 minutes ago, Dizkneelande said:

Who said this? Hint it was 2006.

"Because it was the result of willful and reckless disregard for the warnings that were given and for the fundamentals of economic management, I'm voting against the debt limit increase."

BHO? 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

BHO? 

Yep. It’s Obama. And he was wrong. 

But it’s important to distinguish: Obama voted against as political theater, knowing it was going to pass anyhow. That’s what you call a “safe” opposition. It’s lame but it happens all the time. It’s quite different voting against if you know that you’re seriously putting the vote at risk. 

1 hour ago, Dizkneelande said:

Joe Biden. He voted against raising the debt ceiling in 2003, 2004, and 2006. 

What a shock. He’s also the guy that said a Supreme Court justice shouldn’t be decided during an election year. Known as the Biden rule.  Now liberals screech and shout if it happens and they are on the wrong end of it. Bidens an idiot with a big mouth. Always has been.  

1 hour ago, Dizkneelande said:

Joe Biden. He voted against raising the debt ceiling in 2003, 2004, and 2006. 

Well then he was wrong too. 
Anyone who voted against raising the debt ceiling, ever, is wrong 100% of the time. Because there should be no debt ceiling. 

7 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Well then he was wrong too. 
Anyone who voted against raising the debt ceiling, ever, is wrong 100% of the time. Because there should be no debt ceiling. 

Wow. Economics major much??

here’s my idea

if you can’t pay your debt you get no borrowing. Period. If you can’t cover your sh1t at home stop sending trillions to foreign countries 

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Wow. Economics major much??

No. But can you name an economist in favor of not voting to raise the debt ceiling? 

I’ll add: can you name an economist in favor of having a debt ceiling? 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

No. But can you name an economist in favor of not voting to raise the debt ceiling? 

I don’t need an economist to tell me that no limit on debt is smart. If he does he should lose his degree

Just now, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I don’t need an economist to tell me that no limit on debt is smart. If he does he should lose his degree

Well then you should have no trouble finding someone that agrees with you. 

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

Well then you should have no trouble finding someone that agrees with you. 

Is there an economist that says there should be a no limit on debt spending please link to that. 

it’s not a discussion. There isn’t an economist pushing no limit and there isn’t an economist agreeing with me cause it’s a ridiculous notion

cool one of those people who doesn't care about the american tax payer, print more money, raise more taxes.  she is unaffected

leftist dribble fills the article, climate change blah blah, throw money at it blah blah, inequality, equal justice blah blah

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

cool one of those people who doesn't care about the american tax payer, print more money, raise more taxes.  she is unaffected

leftist dribble fills the article, climate change blah blah, throw money at it blah blah, inequality, equal justice blah blah

I will repeat my earlier challenge: find an economist who doesn’t think we should raise the debt ceiling. 

I will repeat my earlier challenge: find an economist who doesn’t think we should raise the debt ceiling. 

Goalposts bro. You said eliminate the ceiling initially 

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Goalposts bro. You said eliminate the ceiling initially 

It’s the same thing. If you vote to raise the ceiling every time why bother to have it? And we HAVE to raise it every time. 

4 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

It’s the same thing. If you vote to raise the ceiling every time why bother to have it? And we HAVE to raise it every time. 

Agree.  It is a false effort to pretend to be fiscally responsible. Cutting spending is the first move.  The second is to be creative in finding ways to generate revenue without harming people, that is a much more challenging effort. 

https://rollcall.com/2023/03/10/freedom-caucus-lays-out-debt-limit-spending-demands/

I think we’re headed towards a crisis this summer. The Democrats will never agree to these demands. The Freedom Caucus won’t agree to anything else. Nobody is going to blink. 

If you have any money in the stock market, you might want to think about getting the hell out before this comes to a head sometime in June…

23 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

https://rollcall.com/2023/03/10/freedom-caucus-lays-out-debt-limit-spending-demands/

I think we’re headed towards a crisis this summer. The Democrats will never agree to these demands. The Freedom Caucus won’t agree to anything else. Nobody is going to blink. 

If you have any money in the stock market, you might want to think about getting the hell out before this comes to a head sometime in June…

Uh, the stock market is already taking a beating. But thanks Warren. 

SVB bank wiped out. But not the ones at the top, of course. They got out. Trumps fault in 3,2, …..

Republican Plan:

Limit spending to 1% per year for 10 years 

Take back unspent covid money 

Trash Bidens student loan forgiveness  

Tell me what's unreasonable about that.   

19 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

Republican Plan:

Limit spending to 1% per year for 10 years 

Take back unspent covid money 

Trash Bidens student loan forgiveness  

Tell me what's unreasonable about that.   

I doubt WH will undo the student loan thing. Spending limit seems great. Unspent Covid money I’m sure then just gets spent really fast but sure to that. 

The Republicans should just agree with the Democrats and raise the debt ceiling...  That way when it craps the bed in the near future that we all think will happen, the Democrats can't say "See, things went south because the Republicans voted against raising the ceiling!"  They will point fingers at the Republicans but they can come right back and say, we voted to raise it, your policies killed it...

14 minutes ago, posty said:

The Republicans should just agree with the Democrats and raise the debt ceiling...  That way when it craps the bed in the near future that we all think will happen, the Democrats can't say "See, things went south because the Republicans voted against raising the ceiling!"  They will point fingers at the Republicans but they can come right back and say, we voted to raise it, your policies killed it...

They will raise the debt ceiling. This is all posturing. 

1 minute ago, thegeneral said:

They will raise the debt ceiling. This is all posturing. 

True, but punting the posturing might help out in the long run, especially if things tank...

Joe Biden voted against raising the debt ceiling four times. 

It's all BS.  Why do we even set a debt limit if we just keep raising it?  Neither side cares about fiscal responsibility, it's a joke.

The last time the Republicans played this game (2011), they got wiped out in the next election.

Have they learned anything from that mistake? I’m guessing not.

18 minutes ago, dogcows said:

The last time the Republicans played this game (2011), they got wiped out in the next election.

Have they learned anything from that mistake? I’m guessing not.

Is that the one where the Republicans won the house, again?  I don’t think you know what “wiped out” means. Lol.