Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Exxon accurately predicted climate change due to fossil fuels 40 years ago

15 minutes ago, Bert said:

Do you get credits for the power you sell back to the grid during the day, like the do in California?

Yes.  

Have to admit though, I didn't figure out my electricity costs correctly and so my payback on return is going to be closer to 11/12 years than 8.  Still, my house is totally carbon neutral now, maybe slightly carbon negative(I feed a little more energy back then I use yearly). 

15 minutes ago, Dizkneelande said:

This makes more sense than reducing CO2.  There 2 things on this planet that humans can NOT live without... air & water.  Those 2 things are dependent on CO2.

16 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Yes.  

Have to admit though, I didn't figure out my electricity costs correctly and so my payback on return is going to be closer to 11/12 years than 8.  Still, my house is totally carbon neutral now, maybe slightly carbon negative(I feed a little more energy back then I use yearly). 

wait, you think solar is carbon neutral?

thats cute

and fwiw, I have 100 solar panels 

16 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Yes.  

So in Michigan they are screwing the poor and lower middle class folk that cannot afford solar panels.  It's not your problem, it just surprises me governments continue to do this in the name of climate hysteria.  

1 minute ago, Bert said:

So in Michigan they are screwing the poor and lower middle class folk that cannot afford solar panels.  It's not your problem, it just surprises me governments continue to do this in the name of climate hysteria.  

You have jumped ahead of me a few steps.  How/why are they getting screwed?  

10 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

You have jumped ahead of me a few steps.  How/why are they getting screwed?  

Let me start by saying the following assumes the Michigan credits are structured the same way as Cali.

Peek production from wind and solar is roughly between 9:00-3:00 each day.  This is when demand and rates are the lowest.  Much of the energy produced by wind and solar is unused and not stored in any meaningful amount.  At 5:00pm when you enter high demand the grid is receiving minimal power from wind and solar and must turn to "peaker" power to meet demand.  This is more expensive and causes a spike in rates.  For you, it is not a problem because you have credits to offset the higher rate.  People who do not have the money to purchase solar panels do not have that option so they pay the higher rates for power.  The more wind and solar used by the grid the larger the problem.