Alias Detective

Anyone have a pilots license?

Fake astronaut here, not fake pilot.

Too many other expensive time consuming hobbies to even consider it.

It would be fun though.

@Strike is a pilot if i remember correctly though.He does not have any other expensive hobbies :D

Years ago, up until 2010, my MOM had her pilot's license. Just in the late 90's she decided she wanted to fly, went to Burke airport in Cleveland and got a pilot's license. Last time I flew with her was over the Everglades in Florida, few years later she stopped doing whatever it takes to renew. It's doable though if you want to do it.

Mom was so excited about the flying thing, she got me a lesson. Yada, yada, yada...the instructor tells me to pull back on the throttle knob and I did it. Then after the airspeed hit a certain amount he says, pull back the yoke and I did and we were FLYING!  Do you remember the first time you drove a car, think about that and multiply it by 1000...it's been over 25 years and I don't think anything has come close to lifting a plane off the ground.  

28 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

It's doable though if you want to do it.

not for most.  costs like $20,000 to get a license.

2 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

not for most.  costs like $20,000 to get a license.

Yeah, it was some 20 years ago, so I have no idea those costs are today.

Still, if you can do one lesson, and get once chance to take a plane off the runway, feel that "I'm flying" feeling, do it.  It's worth it.

34 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

you dont need a ilcense to fly.

It helps with the take off and the landing though. 

Digby didn’t create another alias yet?

No, but my buddy is an executive pilot who own his plane. Let's me take over after we're in the air. Makes me feel like a kid :lol:

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

@Strike is a pilot if i remember correctly though.He does not have any other expensive hobbies :D

Did I post about here?  I don't remember doing so.  I'm not a pilot. I'm a student pilot.  It's taking a while lol.  But getting close to my first solo. 

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Too many other expensive time consuming hobbies to even consider it.

It would be fun though.

An old girlfriend of mine used to take lessons. She told me flying at night kinda freaked her out. 

5 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Years ago, up until 2010, my MOM had her pilot's license. Just in the late 90's she decided she wanted to fly, went to Burke airport in Cleveland and got a pilot's license. Last time I flew with her was over the Everglades in Florida, few years later she stopped doing whatever it takes to renew. It's doable though if you want to do it.

Mom was so excited about the flying thing, she got me a lesson. Yada, yada, yada...the instructor tells me to pull back on the throttle knob and I did it. Then after the airspeed hit a certain amount he says, pull back the yoke and I did and we were FLYING!  Do you remember the first time you drove a car, think about that and multiply it by 1000...it's been over 25 years and I don't think anything has come close to lifting a plane off the ground.  

Is that why your MOM has that sweet sweet landing strip?  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Had no idea our kids friends father had license (or owned a plane) until one day he asked us if we wanted to fly with he and his wife to Martha’s Vineyard for lunch. We didn’t go.  

did you hear about the snake crossed with a plane? It was a Boeing Constrictor.

16 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Yeah, it was some 20 years ago, so I have no idea those costs are today.

Still, if you can do one lesson, and get once chance to take a plane off the runway, feel that "I'm flying" feeling, do it.  It's worth it.

In my first newspaper job, I was sent to take a flying lesson and write a story about it. It was pretty much an advertorial, because aviation-related ads had been sold for the page upon which the story was to go.

I get out to the small airport, and the instructor is this hot young woman (32C) with a mighty fine ass. We do a pre-inspection of the Cessna aircraft and get inside. I thought all I'd do was sit there while she showed how the plane worked.

Oh no.

She put the plane in my control from the start. She had an override on the co-pilot side to take over when I focked up. I start the plane and attempt to make my way to the runway. The steering wheel doesn't do sh!t on the ground. I vaguely remember using my feet to steer the thing, and I'm like a drunk on New Year's Eve trying to get the focker to the runway. I drove off into the grass at one point.

We finally get there for takeoff, and Amelia Assheart tells me to push in this button thingy, which I initially timidly did until she grabbed my hand and had me push it all the way in. We went zooming down the runway, and she had me pull up on the steering wheel to get the plane into the air.

Arriving at a certain altitude, she had me do stuff like try to pick a point on the ground, point a wing toward it and use the various steering mechanisms to circle it while keeping the wing pointed at that spot, which was difficult. It was mind boggling all the ways planes move - up and down, nose up and nose down, tilt left, tilt right. Aaaaahhh!!!

I was terrified, and my hands were all sweaty. There wasn't any radar on the plane as far as I could tell, so avoiding collisions with other aircraft involved SEEING them, and there was a whole world of flying things all around up there.

Thankfully, she took over and landed the plane, because I'm certain we would have gone ass over teakettle in a ball of flames down the strip had she made me try to stick the landing.

I wrote my little story and have never since wanted to fly a plane.

My biggest regret was not asking out the instructor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pimpadeaux said:

In my first newspaper job, I was sent to take a flying lesson and write a story about it. It was pretty much an advertorial, because aviation-related ads had been sold for the page upon which the story was to go.

I get out to the small airport, and the instructor is this hot young woman (32C) with a mighty fine ass. We do a pre-inspection of the Cessna aircraft and get inside. I thought all I'd do was sit there while she showed how the plane worked.

Oh no.

She put the plane in my control from the start. She had an override on the co-pilot side to take over when I focked up. I start the plane and attempt to make my way to the runway. The steering wheel doesn't do sh!t on the ground. I vaguely remember using my feet to steer the thing, and I'm like a drunk on New Year's Eve trying to get the focker to the runway. I drove off into the grass at one point.

We finally get there for takeoff, and Amelia Assheart tells me to push in this button thingy, which I initially timidly did until she grabbed my hand and had me push it all the way in. We went zooming down the runway, and she had me pull up on the steering wheel to get the plane into the air.

Arriving at a certain altitude, she had me do stuff like try to pick a point on the ground, point a wing toward it and use the various steering mechanisms to circle it while keeping the wing pointed at that spot, which was difficult. It was mind boggling all the ways planes move - up and down, nose up and nose down, tilt left, tilt right. Aaaaahhh!!!

I was terrified, and my hands were all sweaty. There wasn't any radar on the plane as far as I could tell, so avoiding collisions with other aircraft involved SEEING them, and there was a whole world of flying things all around up there.

Thankfully, she took over and landed the plane, because I'm certain we would have gone ass over teakettle in a ball of flames down the strip had she made me try to stick the landing.

I wrote my little story and have never since wanted to fly a plane.

My biggest regret was not asking out the instructor.

She must have known that you were writing a newspaper story.  What you just described would normally be about 5 to 10 lessons depending on how well you learned it.  It's done in a building block sequence so you don't get overwhelmed in the manner that you did.

8 hours ago, Strike said:

She must have known that you were writing a newspaper story.  What you just described would normally be about 5 to 10 lessons depending on how well you learned it.  It's done in a building block sequence so you don't get overwhelmed in the manner that you did.

LOL, well that makes sense. I had no  idea that flying was taught in block sequence.

I always identified myself as a reporter and explained what I was doing, and I don't think I even set up the lesson.

I still feel a touch of anxiety to this day thinking about that experience. 

I've got that article in a clipbook somewhere. I saved all that crap for some book I'll probably never write.