Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Florida judge fines Trump, lawyer for ‘frivolous’ lawsuit

AP News

NEW YORK (AP) — A Florida Judge sanctioned former President Donald Trump and one of his attorneys Thursday, ordering them to pay nearly $1 million for filing what he said was a bogus lawsuit against Trump’s 2016 rival Hillary Clinton and others.

In a blistering filing, U.S. District Judge Donald M. Middlebrooks accused Trump of a “pattern of abuse of the courts” for filing frivolous lawsuits for political purposes, which he said “undermines the rule of law” and “amounts to obstruction of justice.”

“Here, we are confronted with a lawsuit that should never have been filed, which was completely frivolous, both factually and legally, and which was brought in bad faith for an improper purpose,” he wrote.

Citing Trump’s recent legal action against the Pulitzer Prize board, New York Attorney General Letitia James, big tech companies and CNN, he described Trump as “a prolific and sophisticated litigant” who uses the courts “to seek revenge on political adversaries.”

“He is the mastermind of strategic abuse of the judicial process,” he wrote.

The ruling required Trump and his attorney, Alina Habba, to pay nearly $938,000 to the defendants in the case.

A spokesman for Trump and Habba did not immediately respond to requests for comment late Thursday.

Hope he's the judge in the case where the woman is suing Kraft $5M for false advertising.

I hate BS lawsuits, I am all for punishing people who do that...

4 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Especially when the lawyer and the ONE RESPONSIBLE for it's filling being paid by donations made by supporters and not the one responsible for filling it.

Therefore, put the lawyer AND the one responsible for it's filing IN JAIL until the fine is paid.

So a judge that was appointed by Bill Clinton fined Trump's lawyer for filing a "frivolous" lawsuit against Hillary Clinton (and others)?  Wouldn't this fall under "conflict of interest"?

... in response, Trump has filed a lawsuit against judge middlebrooks, and the entire district Court for you breach of duty and pain and suffering, as well as his own attorney for insufficient counsel.

Then declared bankruptcy.

10 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

Especially when the lawyer and the ONE RESPONSIBLE for it's filling being paid by donations made by supporters and not the one responsible for filling it.

Therefore, put the lawyer AND the one responsible for it's filing IN JAIL until the fine is paid.

There is no especially, its a blanket statement, i do not pretend one instance is worse than another.....

15 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So a judge that was appointed by Bill Clinton fined Trump's lawyer for filing a "frivolous" lawsuit against Hillary Clinton (and others)?  Wouldn't this fall under "conflict of interest"?

So, it'd be okay if the Judge was a Trump appointee ?  

4 minutes ago, RLLD said:

There is no especially, its a blanket statement, i do not pretend one instance is worse than another.....

If I read it right, point of the "especially"part is it's one thing if Trump were spending his own money on these frivolous lawsuits.  However, it's been proven time and time again that Trump solicits donations from idiots who think that they're contributing to Trump's 2024 reelection when instead Trump is using the money for b******* like this.   

Pretty sure that's illegal by the way. Not that anybody enforces any of these kind of rules anymore. 

6 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

So, it'd be okay if the Judge was a Trump appointee ?  

Yeah, because the ONLY judges around are Clinton and Trump appointed judges.  There are no Obama or Bush judges, right?

6 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

If I read it right, point of the "especially"part is it's one thing if Trump were spending his own money on these frivolous lawsuits.  However, it's been proven time and time again that Trump solicits donations from idiots who think that they're contributing to Trump's 2024 reelection when instead Trump is using the money for b******* like this.   

Pretty sure that's illegal by the way. Not that anybody enforces any of these kind of rules anymore. 

OK, let them charge him and go after him then... I am not going to sit here and use it to feed my personal bias though

Why wouldn't this judge also go after all the BS being brought up against the Don as frivolous?

Trump has his flaws, and I would never vote for him again after what he did during Covid, but he called out the FBI. That alone deserves a ton of respect. Will an elected president ever do that again? Maybe DeSantis?

On 1/20/2023 at 11:11 AM, RLLD said:

How much should a judge fine the whole of the liberal party for 8 years of legal frivolity against Trump?

5 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Why wouldn't this judge also go after all the BS being brought up against the Don as frivolous?

Because this judge was appointed by Bill Clinton.