Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

More Whining

The high interest rates are having their desired and predictable affect. Getting inflation under control via making the cost of borrowing more expensive leads to the loss of jobs. 

• Thanks 1

Agreed on the whining.  Disagree that companies can't do it in a more compassionate manner.   Probably hard to do when you're dumping 12,000 people though.

Probably wasn't woke enough.

20 years there? Definitely was making too much $ in their opinion. They hired 70k in the last 5 years and he gets the boot? Corporations love to use downturns to get rid of the highest paid and move everyone up.

I think these these tech companies went on a mass hiring spree knowing what was coming and keeping employees away from competition and now they can keep the best ones they hired. 

I remember when Enron crapped the bed. I believe they sent out a mass email telling everybody that they had to leave immediately and to call in and check their voicemail at a certain time. And that's how they found out whether they're being laid off or not.

...course, I was long gone by then. 🙂

19 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Same people who had to work from home the past two years because of the flu suddenly want some face time with HR.  :lol:

Geek club complaining about people not working during their workday.....................

Good thing you posted that under an alias and not a username with 50k+ posts

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Geek club complaining about people not working during their workday.....................

Good thing you posted that under an alias and not a username with 50k+ posts

Geek club reading comprehension...............

This guy probably got more done at home without the juice bar and nap pod distractions at the google office.

28 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Probably wasn't woke enough.

20 years there? Definitely was making too much $ in their opinion. They hired 70k in the last 5 years and he gets the boot? Corporations love to use downturns to get rid of the highest paid and move everyone up.

Yep.  I used to work for a large corporation, as the IT manager of their Los Angeles office.  Every year around the beginning of March I'd be given a list from HR of people they were laying off.   They'd schedule their meetings with the people at a specific time and give me those times so I could remove their network access while they were meeting with HR.  And, of course, the layoffs were always right before bonuses were paid out.  Then one year I got called to HR for a meeting.......lol.  The funniest thing was they didn't remove my network access.  They even gave me the option of working another day after that.  The one guy who had the most access on the network and could really f things up, and they didn't try to mitigate that risk. 

Whining? Yeah, kinda.

I mean, if you live in Michigan or Indiana, good jobs are hard to find.  If you want to get ahead there, a lot of people will need to find a union job or get lucky and get into one of the few great corporations and stay.  A lot of people have a great work ethic but there is just no opportunity so you struggle to stay afloat in the middle class.

California is completely different.  There is no middle class in California.  The reason there is no middle class in California is because there are tremendous opportunities all over the place.  If you have a work ethic in California, its pretty much a lock you will rise out of middle class and become rich.  Lazy or uneducated people wallow in destitute poverty.  So California turns into two-tiered society of the rich and destitute poor.

My suggestion for poor people with a work ethic is to move to California.  But its really difficult to hear that message because of the stigma that California is communist and also because its really hard to pull up stakes and move away from family, friends and your way of life.

24 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I remember when Enron crapped the bed. I believe they sent out a mass email telling everybody that they had to leave immediately and to call in and check their voicemail at a certain time. And that's how they found out whether they're being laid off or not.

...course, I was long gone by then. 🙂

There was a large group of people that were told to go home and check your email and voice mail to see if you are being laid off.  There were people that were traveling that were told while they were on the road.  Most of us gathered on a floor and a VP read a statement from Legal/HR that basically said you have 30 minutes to GTFO.

I would be pissed if I got called into the office just to be fired in person. Just call me or send me an email. As long as they give a reason. Even if they simply said "We don't need you anymore". Kind of like how Rusty's wives broke up with him.

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Whining? Yeah, kinda.

I mean, if you live in Michigan or Indiana, good jobs are hard to find.  If you want to get ahead there, a lot of people will need to find a union job or get lucky and get into one of the few great corporations and stay.  A lot of people have a great work ethic but there is just no opportunity so you struggle to stay afloat in the middle class.

California is completely different.  There is no middle class in California.  The reason there is no middle class in California is because there are tremendous opportunities all over the place.  If you have a work ethic in California, its pretty much a lock you will rise out of middle class and become rich.  Lazy or uneducated people wallow in destitute poverty.  So California turns into two-tiered society of the rich and destitute poor.

My suggestion for poor people with a work ethic is to move to California.  But its really difficult to hear that message because of the stigma that California is communist and also because its really hard to pull up stakes and move away from family, friends and your way of life.

Dude...I live in Michigan...And once again, you are spewing gibberish.  Ugh.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I think these these tech companies went on a mass hiring spree knowing what was coming and keeping employees away from competition and now they can keep the best ones they hired. 

Nope.  Hiring was based on corp spending and investing.  Free money for years created a bubble, and it has popped.

28 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

Nope.  Hiring was based on corp spending and investing.  Free money for years created a bubble, and it has popped.

Yes. I just think they knew it was coming. I don’t think anything sneaks up on google. 

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Dude...I live in Michigan...And once again, you are spewing gibberish.  Ugh.  

a personal attack is not a very convincing counterargument.  probably you didnt read my post or misunderstood what i said.  it happens.  just yesterday for example i discussed how almost all politicians have a shelf life and rarely is there a second act for them.  then someone flew ito the thread and attempted to "correct" me by naming 4 politicians who had a second act.  then i had to repeat that i used the word "almost".  that the tiring thing about forums.  i say things clealy and someone cant read.

so your personal attack gibberish is ugh.

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yes. I just think they knew it was coming. I don’t think anything sneaks up on google. 

No that's not how it works.  You don't hire tens of thousands of people with the intent to get rid of them in a few years.

1 minute ago, Louie Kelcher said:

No that's not how it works.  You don't hire tens of thousands of people with the intent to get rid of them in a few years.

If you want to cast a wide net to get the best talent you might. My Niece is a fairly recent hire at google. Great résumé. She wasn’t laid off.  She was assured in the fall she wouldn’t be by her boss when the rumors were flying.  People in her work sector that have been there longer were.  Take from it what you will. I know, what a crazy theory I have brought forth. 

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

@WhiteWonder   Didn't want you to miss your chance.

:lol:

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

:lol:

:cheers: 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If you want to cast a wide net to get the best talent you might. My Niece is a fairly recent hire at google. Great résumé. She wasn’t laid off.  She was assured in the fall she wouldn’t be by her boss when the rumors were flying.  People in her work sector that have been there longer were.  Take from it what you will. I know, what a crazy theory I have brought forth. 

You were just saying last week that the first people to go in layoffs were Americans, and I told you it was based on performance.

Now you're saying I was right based on your niece, but you're also saying google hired 50k people so they can lay off 10k, that's just stupid.

2 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

You were just saying last week that the first people to go in layoffs were Americans, and I told you it was based on performance.

Now you're saying I was right based on your niece, but you're also saying google hired 50k people so they can lay off 10k, that's just stupid.

She’s not a tech worker. Try again.  

18 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I actually heard a theory, and not sure where now, that part of the logic with the layoffs was to release talented people because they were employable elsewhere.   Maybe that's pie in the sky happy land hoping, but it's possible

52 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I actually heard a theory, and not sure where now, that part of the logic with the layoffs was to release talented people because they were employable elsewhere.   Maybe that's pie in the sky happy land hoping, but it's possible

That's even dumber then saying that they hired people so they could fire them.

15 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

That's even dumber then saying that they hired people so they could fire them.

Cause you're the expert after all.

2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Given his posts in this thread, compared to those he’s responding to (including yours) I think that’s a reasonable assumption. 

9 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I've worked in corporate America for almost 30 years, most of that time in tech.  I have never once heard of or been a part of a corporation that increased their workforce with the intent that they would reduce their workforce in the future, nor any corporation that gets rid of top talent and retains the low performers just to help them out.   Now you can choose to believe me or not, I don't care, but everyone in this room is now dumber for having read your post, may God have mercy on your soul.

40 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

I've worked in corporate America for almost 30 years, most of that time in tech.  I have never once heard of or been a part of a corporation that increased their workforce with the intent that they would reduce their workforce in the future, nor any corporation that gets rid of top talent and retains the low performers just to help them out.   Now you can choose to believe me or not, I don't care, but everyone in this room is now dumber for having read your post, may God have mercy on your soul.

Hmmm..have you ever heard of tech companies laying off thousands by email?   Yeah..thats new too... Got news for you big guy, times change.   Nothing worse than an aging hippie

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Given his posts in this thread, compared to those he’s responding to (including yours) I think that’s a reasonable assumption. 

Hey I never said it was a good theory.    Just heard it...somewhere...by them..in the ether

On 1/23/2023 at 10:48 AM, JustinCharge said:

Whining? Yeah, kinda.

On 1/23/2023 at 12:26 PM, JustinCharge said:

a personal attack is not a very convincing counterargument.  probably you didnt read my post or misunderstood what i said.  it happens.  just yesterday for example i discussed how almost all politicians have a shelf life and rarely is there a second act for them.  then someone flew ito the thread and attempted to "correct" me by naming 4 politicians who had a second act.  then i had to repeat that i used the word "almost".  that the tiring thing about forums.  i say things clealy and someone cant read.

so your personal attack gibberish is ugh.

You have to stop this crap. You are so wrong. Your post doesn’t even deserve a reply. There is no middle class in California, what is wrong with you?

Since 1970, California’s share of the middle class fell from 60 percent to just over half the population. That trend almost mirrors patterns across the country. The number of middle-income Americans slipped from 61 percent in 1971 to 50 percent in 2015, according to the Pew Research Center.

4 hours ago, Louie Kelcher said:

You just haven't been around. You are a fraud. 

On 1/23/2023 at 12:11 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well well. The former head of PayPal says google did just this. Mister tech himself, Gutterboy, said that’s ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, Louie Kelcher said:

Doh! Gutterboy strikes again! 

22 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Doh! Gutterboy strikes again! 

Yeah, I was right and still am right.  Why did you bump this?

16 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Yeah, I was right and still am right.  Why did you bump this?

On 3/10/2023 at 4:10 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well well. The former head of PayPal says google did just this. Mister tech himself, Gutterboy, said that’s ridiculous. 

Bump.  Doh! Gutterboy works in tech! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Bump.  Doh! Gutterboy works in tech! 

Link?