Sign in to follow this  
kozmiq

Faking one's death

And I'm not talking about Elvis .. although his bodyguards say it wasn't him in that open coffin.

But, again, I'm not talking about Elvis or really any other famous person.

I'm asking ye ol wise and informed Geeks (well, some of you) if you think it's possible to fake one's death.  Maybe you feel it's impossible.  Perhaps you know of an instance where it may have happened.  I'd like to know your opinions.  Yes, I have input .. but I'll hold off right now.

And please, don't turn this into one side of the 'Aisle' or other (although I'm sure some will).

Go ->

There was recently someone caught after 26 years of "being dead".

It happens, but you need good planning and lots of luck.

It’s a lot easier than one would think. I almost took a job as an insurance fraud investigator at a large company. 

1 hour ago, kozmiq said:

And I'm not talking about Elvis .. although his bodyguards say it wasn't him in that open coffin.

But, again, I'm not talking about Elvis or really any other famous person.

I'm asking ye ol wise and informed Geeks (well, some of you) if you think it's possible to fake one's death.  Maybe you feel it's impossible.  Perhaps you know of an instance where it may have happened.  I'd like to know your opinions.  Yes, I have input .. but I'll hold off right now.

And please, don't turn this into one side of the 'Aisle' or other (although I'm sure some will).

Go ->

You start some of the weirdest threads.

the easiest way to disappear is to say you are gonna hike on Mount Everest. If you never return, its not like anyone is gonna look for your body. And even if they did look, there are already so many frozen bodies up there that its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

2 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

You start some of the weirdest threads.

Thank you, kind sir.

I try to stay away from politics in my threads and hopefully induce some thought provocative inspired personal experiences.  Usually, something I have experience with.  I do here but there seems little appetite for this topic.  It involves law enforcement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

the easiest way to disappear is to say you are gonna hike on Mount Everest. If you never return, its not like anyone is gonna look for your body. And even if they did look, there are already so many frozen bodies up there that its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Yes, but I think to truly 'fake' your death, you'd have to have the people think you are dead .. and not just missing.

Thanks for your reply.

Think it's probably easier to fake the death than it is to create an entire new identity, which you would also have to do. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Think it's probably easier to fake the death than it is to create an entire new identity, which you would also have to do. 

True .. and agreed to .. or pretend to be someone else (alive or dead).

11 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

Thank you, kind sir.

I try to stay away from politics in my threads and hopefully induce some thought provocative inspired personal experiences.  Usually, something I have experience with.  I do here but there seems little appetite for this topic.  It involves law enforcement. 

The last thread I recall you starting involved killing someone.  Just sayin.

Just now, Alias Detective said:

The last thread I recall you starting involved killing someone.  Just sayin.

Not the last one .. but one.

9 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Ok, thanks.  That’s was a weird ass thread too.  You good?

Obviously he, or someone he knows, killed someone and now he's trying to find a way of changing his identity in order to get away with it.  He's come to the right place for advice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kozmiq said:

Yes, but I think to truly 'fake' your death, you'd have to have the people think you are dead .. and not just missing.

Thanks for your reply.

Easy fix and leave a hat or other clothing item of yours that people know with some of your blood on it. They will think you got slaughtered and drug off by some animal.

44 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Ok, thanks.  That’s was a weird ass thread too.  You good?

I b good.

34 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Obviously he, or someone he knows, killed someone and now he's trying to find a way of changing his identity in order to get away with it.  He's come to the right place for advice.

I can see why you would think that .. but in all honesty, it's 2 separate situations.

But I do see that as a  hypothetical.

3 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Yea but they go in groups and usually with guides.  People do not as far as I know just head up. 

6 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Yea but they go in groups and usually with guides.  People do not as far as I know just head up. 

What if he went by himself and shot a bear beforehand and drain some of his blood. Left some of his own blood on a item of clothing and also left a knife with the bears blood on it ? You of all people probably got the best job to fake ones own death.

I always thought one way you could disappear would be to put on some ratty clothes and blend in with the homeless.  It would be pretty gross and a very short term solution.  It would be hard to live that life for long.  That is to disappear but not fake your death. 

There was a cool reality show some years ago where they would pay people to go on the run and see if they could catch them.  Most got caught pretty quickly.  they showed some of the methods they used to find people.  One pretty cool way was to get tech law enforcement geeks to put your personal info into Facebook and change your facebook password. Then they post a reward for info leading to your capture on your own facebook wall.  Then everyone you knew would see you were on the run.  If you went to a close friend probably people around them would be your fb friend but not close enough to you not to turn you in. 

2 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Agree.  I could take my boat and another small boat 20 miles out and dump dive gear overboard.  Then make my way in on the small boat.  People would believe I was dead but then what?  How do you change your identity?  I do not think it could be done today by 95% of the people. 

4 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

What if he went by himself and shot a bear beforehand and drain some of his blood. Left some of his own blood on a item of clothing and also left a knife with the bears blood on it ?

I was talking about Mt. Everest.  But go with your scenario.  OK he is thought to be dead.  Then what do you do?  You are in the woods.  How do you get out and change your identity?  Get new papers?  I do not think you could do it. 

Just now, Bill E. said:

I was talking about Mt. Everest.  But go with your scenario.  OK he is thought to be dead.  Then what do you do?  You are in the woods.  How do you get out and change your identity?  Get new papers?  I do not think you could do it. 

That's where Rusty comes in.

1 minute ago, BeenHereBefore said:

That's where Rusty comes in.

Rusty would turn me in for the reward in a heartbeat.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Hundreds of people disappear in our national parks. That's the best way. Just be sure to leave some bloody boots behind. Boom you're dead and they stop looking for you.

2 hours ago, kozmiq said:

Thanks for your reply.

so you want a physical body present that can be inspected?  thats gonna be tough.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

Hundreds of people disappear in our national parks. That's the best way. Just be sure to leave some bloody boots behind. Boom you're dead and they stop looking for you.

Then what?   Where do you go to start a new life and how do you get there?

3 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

so you want a physical body present that can be inspected?  thats gonna be tough.

Like I said take a boat out in the ocean with SCUBA gear and make it look like you went diving.  They find the boat, look for a few days then give up.  Like Honcho said What then?  How do you live and start a new life?  Passport, Drivers license?  You might be able to buy fakes but they would not be in the Government system.  First time you get pulled over they would know you had a fake DL.

Just now, Bill E. said:

Like Honcho said What then?  How do you live and start a new life?  Passport, Drivers license?  You might be able to buy fakes but they would not be in the Government system.  Firstt time you get pulled over they would know you had a fake DL.

you have to live "off the grid" and keep out of trouble the rest of your life.  Maybe you live in your parents attic.  or maybe some wealthy friends take you in and you stay in a guest house on the property. to do handyman jobs to earn your keep or be the butler / maid.  our family has a farm out deep in a rural area and anyone in trouble in the family can stay there for free.  i had an uncle retire there for about 10 years before he died. 

6 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

you have to live "off the grid" and keep out of trouble the rest of your life.  Maybe you live in your parents attic.  or maybe some wealthy friends take you in and you stay in a guest house on the property. to do handyman jobs to earn your keep or be the butler / maid.  our family has a farm out deep in a rural area and anyone in trouble in the family can stay there for free.  i had an uncle retire there for about 10 years before he died. 

Rudolph got away with it for awhile till they caught him dumpster diving.

2 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Rudolph got away with it for awhile till they caught him dumpster diving.

who?

Ok, this has been told to me:   A person in law enforcement was being investigated within the department for providing information to a relative about a big upcoming drug bust.  He was in deep do do about it.  Then, of all things, he goes and wrecks his law enforcement car and found to have above the limit blood alcohol content.  He is surely going to be found guilty on both accounts AND lose his pension as well as do serious prison time.

Being in law enforcement, he knows tricks and people who can help him pull this off.  Like in new Identics, etc.  So his wife tells his law enforcement buddies that he died in his sleep and has him cremated within a few days.  There it is.  He be dead and his wife gets his pension because he never was found guilty.

The person who told me this stumbled onto him in another state.  

I don't know any more at this time but I do know that being in law enforcement is the ultimate way this can be pulled off.

If I learn more, I'll spill the beans here, okay ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

There was a cool reality show some years ago where they would pay people to go on the run and see if they could catch them. 

The Running Man

Ben Richards is a desperate man. With no job, no money, no way out, and a young daughter in need of proper medical attention, he must turn to the only possibility of striking it rich in this near-future dystopian America: participating in the ultra-violent TV programming of the government-sanctioned Games Network. Ben soon finds himself selected as a contestant on the biggest and the best that the Games Network has to offer: “The Running Man,” a no-holds-barred thirty-day struggle to stay alive as public enemy number one, relentlessly hunted by an elite strike force bent on killing him as quickly as possible in front of an audience all-too eager to see that happen. It means a billion dollars in prize money if he can live for the next month. No one has ever survived longer than eight days. But desperation can push a person do things they never thought possible—and Ben Richards is willing to go the distance in this ultimate game of life and death....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frank said:

The Running Man

Ben Richards is a desperate man. With no job, no money, no way out, and a young daughter in need of proper medical attention, he must turn to the only possibility of striking it rich in this near-future dystopian America: participating in the ultra-violent TV programming of the government-sanctioned Games Network. Ben soon finds himself selected as a contestant on the biggest and the best that the Games Network has to offer: “The Running Man,” a no-holds-barred thirty-day struggle to stay alive as public enemy number one, relentlessly hunted by an elite strike force bent on killing him as quickly as possible in front of an audience all-too eager to see that happen. It means a billion dollars in prize money if he can live for the next month. No one has ever survived longer than eight days. But desperation can push a person do things they never thought possible—and Ben Richards is willing to go the distance in this ultimate game of life and death....

the running man totally predicted reality tv.