Sign in to follow this  
kozmiq

Faking one's death

47 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Then what?   Where do you go to start a new life and how do you get there?

Lots and lots of money in a foreign bank account.  Scuba accident happens in a nearby unrelated country while on vacation.

2 hours ago, Bill E. said:

Then what?   Where do you go to start a new life and how do you get there?

That's a different question. 

I probably head to a large city and get lost in the sea of people. the best way is probably bus.

I once heard an interview by an Elvis handler who said "Absolutely, Elvis would've fake his death.  Totally on par with his personality. However, there's no way Elvis would've faked his death leaving everyone to believe he died sitting on the toilet."

11 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I once heard an interview by an Elvis handler who said "Absolutely, Elvis would've fake his death.  Totally on par with his personality. However, there's no way Elvis would've faked his death leaving everyone to believe he died sitting on the toilet."

But that’s the genius of it. 

6 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

you have to live "off the grid" and keep out of trouble the rest of your life.  Maybe you live in your parents attic.  or maybe some wealthy friends take you in and you stay in a guest house on the property. to do handyman jobs to earn your keep or be the butler / maid.  our family has a farm out deep in a rural area and anyone in trouble in the family can stay there for free.  i had an uncle retire there for about 10 years before he died. 

My parents attic is the first place they would look though.  Plus it is cold up there.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

Lots and lots of money in a foreign bank account.  Scuba accident happens in a nearby unrelated country while on vacation.

That would work.  But if you had that much money you could probably buy your way out of trouble and not need to go missing. 

3 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

That's a different question.

Not really though.  Faking your death requires that people actually believe that you are dead.  If you run out of money and show up for work Monday that really doesn't count. 

11 hours ago, frank said:

The Running Man

Ben Richards is a desperate man. With no job, no money, no way out, and a young daughter in need of proper medical attention, he must turn to the only possibility of striking it rich in this near-future dystopian America: participating in the ultra-violent TV programming of the government-sanctioned Games Network. Ben soon finds himself selected as a contestant on the biggest and the best that the Games Network has to offer: “The Running Man,” a no-holds-barred thirty-day struggle to stay alive as public enemy number one, relentlessly hunted by an elite strike force bent on killing him as quickly as possible in front of an audience all-too eager to see that happen. It means a billion dollars in prize money if he can live for the next month. No one has ever survived longer than eight days. But desperation can push a person do things they never thought possible—and Ben Richards is willing to go the distance in this ultimate game of life and death....

The show I was talking about was called Hunted.  It was really good and I was surprised they did not renew it.  They showed how the FBI would track you if you tried to disappear.  It was a really interesting show.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6340730/

5 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I caught a EP or two of it and wasn't bad.

It got better near the end when they tracked some of the harder to find people.  They would trace the phone records of multiple relatives and when they would see an unknown number to more than one of them they would check the number and location to see if it was a burner phone.  They used cameras on the highways to track license plates.  That was the first I ever heard of that. 

And like I said they would hack social media accounts of the missing person and watch for messages and even put out rewards for info on the location of the missing person.  

If you were missing they would post something like this on your Facebook account:   "This is Beenhere's brother.  He is mentally ill and off his meds.  He needs help and may be dangerous so if you know where he is call me so I can get him help."  Your best friend trying to help you might not turn you in but his wife might.  One guy was hiding out with a girl he met and her sister turned him in for the reward.    

They showed how people on the run learned through trial and error but the government has teams of experts that know what mistakes people will make before they make them and catch people before they learn what not to do.  It was a really cool show. 

I do not think you could disappear and make people think you were dead.  Anyone with a reason to disappear that faked their death would raise enough red flags that they would know to look for you. 

7 hours ago, Bill E. said:

Not really though.  Faking your death requires that people actually believe that you are dead.  If you run out of money and show up for work Monday that really doesn't count. 

For me, I break up faking death and starting a new life into different buckets. 

• Like 1

The only way to do it, is to not do it.  Too many things are digital.  I don't see how anyone is going to create an identity that is free from scrutiny, for a long stretch of time.  I'm thinking that you'd have to constantly be moving every few years so that no one catches on, you develop strong ties, or anything of the sort.  I'd say, the best route is to just liquidate all of your assets and go on a one-way trip to a foreign country.  A non-extradition country if you're trying to evade the law.  Leave everyone behind or force them to live in exile with you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill E. said:

It got better near the end when they tracked some of the harder to find people.  They would trace the phone records of multiple relatives and when they would see an unknown number to more than one of them they would check the number and location to see if it was a burner phone.  They used cameras on the highways to track license plates.  That was the first I ever heard of that. 

And like I said they would hack social media accounts of the missing person and watch for messages and even put out rewards for info on the location of the missing person.  

If you were missing they would post something like this on your Facebook account:   "This is Beenhere's brother.  He is mentally ill and off his meds.  He needs help and may be dangerous so if you know where he is call me so I can get him help."  Your best friend trying to help you might not turn you in but his wife might.  One guy was hiding out with a girl he met and her sister turned him in for the reward.    

They showed how people on the run learned through trial and error but the government has teams of experts that know what mistakes people will make before they make them and catch people before they learn what not to do.  It was a really cool show. 

I do not think you could disappear and make people think you were dead.  Anyone with a reason to disappear that faked their death would raise enough red flags that they would know to look for you. 

Show looked liked it had potential and guess I should have gave it more time. I read a PI book about 20 years back before the internet was big and it showed you how to not get caught by leaving a paper trail and now days way harder with a digital trail. Was a good book for even back then and some methods in it still apply to this day. Said a lot of reasons people get caught is by their habits as well. Say if you was a drinker a PI would know to check bars and liqour stories in areas they think you may be hiding in and etc.

• Like 1

Have we consulted Damar Hamlin?

i dreamt last nite that i escaped from a small jail and was on the run as a fugitive.  basic plan was to pilot a quiet paramotor under cover of dark to an inaccessible location.  can be in and out of anywhere and go 25 miles into some offroad location in minutes.