Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

rationing during wartime in WW2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBV7cg8j1o

nice video detailing rationing in WW2.

In theory, the best goods and food went to the military.  civilians endured rations in the form of points assigned by the US government.  This came in the form of "ration books" which was used in conjunction with stamps.  you could buy 1lb of bacon for 30 cents plus 7 points.  any time a new item was added to the list of restricted goods, hoards would raid stores and clean them out of that good, leading to immediate shortages.  then those people would turn around and trade them on the black market marked way up.

its kinda interesting because we hold this myth that people are better than that, yet with the pandemic we saw people hoard goods and sell them at markup on ebay.

6 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

In theory, the best goods and food went to the military.  civilians endured rations in the form of points assigned by the US government.  This came in the form of "ration books" which was used in conjunction with stamps.  you could buy 1lb of bacon for 30 cents plus 7 points.  any time a new item was added to the list of restricted goods, hoards would raid stores and clean them out of that good, leading to immediate shortages.  then those people would turn around and trade them on the black market marked way up.

its kinda interesting because we hold this myth that people are better than that, yet with the pandemic we saw people hoard goods and sell them at markup on ebay.

It's expected and I have no issue with it.

Tldr

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

There will always be selfless people and selfish people.  When there is a crisis there will always be those people who freak out.

Wise Food Storage

I have an entire room in my basement filled with this stuff in case stuff hits the fan. 

3 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

I read somewhere years ago, that for most items subject to rationing, it wasn't really necessary, but was done so because it instilled in the American public the idea of everyone making sacrifices for the war effort. 

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Wise Food Storage

I have an entire room in my basement filled with this stuff in case stuff hits the fan. 

I've looked into food kits like that but they get pretty expensive.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've looked into food kits like that but they get pretty expensive.

True, but they have a shelf life of 25 years. 

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

Would be one of those things I just buy every once in a while and eventually have a good collection.

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

How old are you?

Just now, taco breath said:

How old are you?

I love the stories of this period. 
The auto makers retooling for war, victory gardens, kids harvesting spare metal and rubber for collection…..

They were great people…..we should all aspire to what they were 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RLLD said:

I love the stories of this period. 
The auto makers retooling for war, victory gardens, kids harvesting spare metal and rubber for collection…..

They were great people…..we should all aspire to what they were 

Just need to fall on hard times again so everyone is forced to.  Very few people want to live like that.

12 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Just need to fall on hard times again so everyone is forced to.  Very few people want to live like that.

Maybe. I have some doubts our current setup would react the same way. They have been taught to hate, fractures in society might just result in some small mob fighting instead of unity

On 1/24/2023 at 5:33 PM, bostonlager said:

So doesn't canned hash

4 hours ago, RLLD said:

Maybe. I have some doubts our current setup would react the same way. They have been taught to hate, fractures in society might just result in some small mob fighting instead of unity

Civil war?

7 hours ago, RLLD said:

Watch any post-apocalyptic show now and this is what happens. Small groups every where, come across larger group. Instead of larger group helping, they kill them on the spot, keep them out of their area, or let them in and make them slaves to the "leader" of that group. 

I have yet to see a show that has people truly helping one another out in really hard times when no one really has anything. 

On 1/24/2023 at 3:36 PM, bostonlager said:

I'm just hoping I die before the aPockyclips.

1 minute ago, taco breath said:

I'm just hoping I die before the aPockyclips.

I think it might be fun if it happened like a year or so before I kick the can. Let me get the Rambo stuff out of my system.