Sign in to follow this  
craftsman

Schiff, Swalwell, Omar respond after Speaker McCarthy keeps them off committees

:cry:

:lol: :banana:

Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell were kicked off the House Intel Committee, while Omar was dropped from the Foreign Affairs Committee

Reps. Adam Schiff, Eric Swalwell, and Ilhan Omar, who were stripped of their committee assignments by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, have accused him of "political vengeance" in a statement Tuesday evening after he again blocked their appointments.

"It’s disappointing but not surprising that Kevin McCarthy has capitulated to the right wing of his caucus, undermining the integrity of the Congress, and harming our national security in the process," said Schiff, D-Calif., Swalwell, D-Calif., and Omar, D-Minn., in a joint statement.

The statement is the latest exchange in an ongoing tiff between McCarthy, R-Calif., and the three Democrats after he removed them from choice committee assignments after Republicans took over the majority, and he was elected Speaker.

"He struck a corrupt bargain in his desperate, and nearly failed, attempt to win the Speakership, a bargain that required political vengeance against the three of us," the Democrats continued in the letter.

Immediately following his decision, Schiff, Swalwell and Omar asked McCarthy to reconsider.

But, he did not.

"Despite these efforts, McCarthy won’t be successful. We will continue to speak out against extremism and doggedly defend our democracy," the Democratic trio said.

After the three Democrats were unsuccessful in convincing McCarthy to reinstate their committee positions, Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., the highest-ranking Democrat in the House of Representatives, vouched for them.

In a letter, Jeffries said the legislators were "eminently qualified" and had experience justifying a position overseeing the nation’s intelligence community. Schiff and Swalwell previously served on the House Intelligence Committee while Omar served on the Foreign Affairs Committee.

That also failed to convince McCarthy, who said in an open letter that "national security" and "integrity" matter more than "partisan loyalty."

"I appreciate the loyalty you have to your Democrat colleagues, and I acknowledge your efforts to have two Members of Congress reinstated to the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence," McCarthy wrote to Jeffries. "But I cannot put partisan loyalty ahead of national security, and I cannot simply recognize years of service as the sole criteria for membership to this essential committee. Integrity matters more."

The Republican added: "As such, in order to maintain a standard worthy of this committee’s responsibilities, I am hereby rejecting the appointments of Representative Adam Schiff and Representative Eric Swalwell to serve on the intelligence committee."

McCarthy also said, "It is my assessment that the misuse of this panel during the 116th and 117th Congresses severely undermined its primary national security and oversight missions – ultimately leaving our nation less safe."

"Therefore, as we enter a new Congress, I am committed to returning the Intelligence Committee to one of genuine honesty and credibility that regains the trust of the American people," the California Republican said.

McCarthy alleges Swalwell’s prior relationship with a suspected Chinese spy Christine Fang, Schiff’s alleged propensity for lying to Americans and Omar’s outspoken criticism of Israel would keep them off their respective committees.

Since becoming House Speaker, McCarthy has vowed to make the legislative process "more open and transparent." He has also created select committees tasked with investigating the COVID-19 pandemic government response and the weaponization of the federal government.

• Like 1

This is actually a smart move by the Democrats. This shows they are free dedicated to getting Schiff into the Senate, which he likely does accomplish.

This is unfortunate as Scheffers represents everything we should all despise in a politician. He is the Democrats version of George Santos

Schiff is a lying POS who has no business being near the Intel Committee. McCarthy already paying huge dividends.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reality said:

Schiff is a lying POS who has no business being near the Intel Committee. McCarthy already paying huge dividends.

:thumbsup:

This.  Pleasantly surprised with McCarthy. The hold out for his nomination is having the desired affect. Looking forward to the hearings and hopefully some indictments. Counting on Garland for that might be a tall order though. He’s not really interested in justice. 

So the heavy-handed who have lost their power now wish that those who obtained it do not behave in a heavy-handed manner.

Frankly I would prefer a magnanimous and conclilatory winner.  I would prefer the moral high groiund.  I would prefer a path charted out of the partisan fireswamp where only R.O.U.S.es can thrive.

• Like 1

Door. Ass. Bye. :wave:

They'll all get the committee assignments that Jeffries intended for them back when the Dems return to power which, if we're lucky, will never occurs in the next five billion years before the sun burns itself out.

7 minutes ago, Ultra Max Power said:

I loved McCarthy's response of "There are 200+ Democrats I'd love to have on the Intelligence committee, just not him." 

Yep!  This is excellent news!

Those 3 belong in North Korea or China, not in the US Congress.

You shouldn't be allowed to be an elected official in the federal government if you were born in another country. It's a national security risk.

15 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

You shouldn't be allowed to be an elected official in the federal government if you were born in another country. It's a national security risk.

Would that include Ted Cruz, who was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

1 hour ago, iam90sbaby said:

I disagree, as long as you are born an American

47 minutes ago, squistion said:

Would that include Ted Cruz, who was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

Yes it would. Cruz is a RINO puppet.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Door. Ass. Bye. :wave:

They'll all get the committee assignments that Jeffries intended for them back when the Dems return to power which, if we're lucky, will never occurs in the next five billion years before the sun burns itself out.

Or, if we’re luckier, it will occur in 2 years. 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

You have no issue with Swallwell having a relationship with a Chinese spy? And hiring an intern on her recommendation? Or possible insistence? 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You have no issue with Swallwell having a relationship with a Chinese spy? And hiring an intern on her recommendation? Or possible insistence? 

I don’t think I’ve offered an opinion on those issues. Did he commit any crimes? 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I don’t think I’ve offered an opinion on those issues. Did he commit any crimes? 

Did I say that? I asked about the facts I presented. Do you have a problem with them? 

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

You do not have to commit a crime to lose your clearance. In this case your access to classified information.

1 hour ago, iam90sbaby said:

What?

you said born in America, I have no problem with someone who happens to be born in another country but has 2 american citizen parents therefore born a citizen 

I was just clarifying

since when does that matter either way?  Its the national security, you guys run around like chicken with your heads cut off about trump who didnt commit a crime

One guy focks spies, one most likely focks minors, and the other one focks her brother. 

• Haha 4

Just now, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

since when does that matter either way?  Its the national security, you guys run around like chicken with your heads cut off about trump who didnt commit a crime

Not sure who else you mean by you guys. I think Trump committed a crime with that phone call to Georgia. I don’t believe he committed any crimes with regard to January 6 (though he did commit an impeachable offense). 

• Haha 1

McCarthy lied. He said he wouldn’t do this. He screamed bloody murder when Nancy Pelosi rejected some Republicans for committees.

Whatever complaints he might have about any member, he can’t have it both ways.

And to top it all off, he gave George Santos TWO committee seats.

Regardless of whether you like or dislike Schiff or the others, there’s no question McCarthy lied and has a double standard here.

And the rejection of Omar is pure anti-muslim bigotry.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

:lol:

agreed.  The sun burning out in 2 years very good luck if it means that these 3 POS didn't get their seats back.

6 minutes ago, dogcows said:

McCarthy lied. He said he wouldn’t do this. He screamed bloody murder when Nancy Pelosi rejected some Republicans for committees.

Regardless of whether you like or dislike Schiff or the others, there’s no question McCarthy lied and has a double standard here.

Sucks to be you. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

One guy focks spies, one most likely focks minors, and the other one focks her brother. 

Has that been established.  I always sort of assumed it was simply fraud on the immigration system, a marriage in name only.  I never considered it may have been consumated.  I suppose it could have been and i just missed the most salacious part of the story.

54 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Thats a bridge too far for me.  Maybe thats true or maybe its based on her policy stances, informed, no doubt, by her life experience, but not dependant solely on her religion.  

11 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Yeah, some people did something. 

31 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Not sure who else you mean by you guys. I think Trump committed a crime with that phone call to Georgia. I don’t believe he committed any crimes with regard to January 6 (though he did commit an impeachable offense). 

Why would the call to Georgia be a crime. Him saying all we need to do is find 11000 votes?  You aren’t allowed to make up any interpretation you like. That could mean many things 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, dogcows said:

He only rejected them from the intel community. And there is a very strong reason to do so. Those two should never have intel

33 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Cry harder 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, dogcows said:

the rejection of OMAR is pure anti-stupid.

• Like 1

Omar, amongst other things, likens Israel to the Taliban and she  keeps her assignment. MTG makes her Jewish space laser or whatever comment and she gets the boot. Liberals can pipe down. 

https://twitter.com/RepRaskin/status/1618348447375196160

Rep. Jamie Raskin @RepRaskin

By refusing to seat Adam Schiff, Eric Swalwell and Ilhan Omar on their committees while seating compulsive liar and conman George Santos and bowing and scraping to compulsive liar and conman Donald Trump, Kevin McCarthy has shown America exactly what he believes in: nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, squistion said:

https://twitter.com/RepRaskin/status/1618348447375196160

Rep. Jamie Raskin @RepRaskin

By refusing to seat Adam Schiff, Eric Swalwell and Ilhan Omar on their committees while seating compulsive liar and conman George Santos and bowing and scraping to compulsive liar and conman Donald Trump, Kevin McCarthy has shown America exactly what he believes in: nothing.

They are not Schiff, Swalwell and Omar's committees. 

1 minute ago, craftsman said:

They are not Schiff, Swalwell and Omar's committees. 

:rolleyes: 

No they didn't own them, but it was the committees they had been serving on.

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

:rolleyes: 

No they didn't own them, but it was the committees they had been serving on.

"Had been." No longer. They are dead weight now which is better than what they were before.

And the country is in a much better place now as a whole.