Sign in to follow this  
craftsman

'Till' director accuses Hollywood of 'upholding whiteness' after Oscars snub

Thank Goodness. This shlt only gets interesting when people get all spastic about race. Otherwise it's unwatchable.  Oh hell, it's still unwatchable. But if the accusations are true, then I can be down with it and support the whiteness. I love watching these diversity preachers cry. :banana:

"Till" director Chinonye Chukwu accused the Oscars as well as the entertainment industry of being "aggressively committed to upholding whiteness" after she failed to earn a "Best Director" nomination.

The 2023 Oscar nominees for the 95th Academy Awards were announced on Tuesday morning with the usual surprises and snubs that come from the movies that are recognized. 

One snub included "Till," a biographical drama about Mamie Till-Bradley and her search for justice after the murder of her 14-year-old son Emmett Till. Although the movie received critical acclaim, it failed to receive any nominations in any category.

Because of this, Chukwu said the Academy Awards are "upholding whiteness" and "perpetuating" misogyny against Black women.

"We live in a world and work in industries that are so aggressively committed to upholding whiteness and perpetuating an unabashed misogyny towards Black women. And yet. I am forever in gratitude for the greatest lesson of my life - regardless of any challenges or obstacles, I will always have the power to cultivate my own joy, and it is this joy that will continue to be one of my greatest forms of resistance," Chukwu wrote on her Instagram account Tuesday.

This post followed past accusations that Oscar nominations lacked diversity, most notably with the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag that started in 2016. Since then, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced new incentives and initiatives to promote diversity in their nominations. 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/till-director-accuses-hollywood-upholding-whiteness-oscars-snub

Hollywood Liberals are extremely racist. I loved reading that Indian fella was big mad that Hollywood won't cast minorities in villain roles, because only white people can be villains in their eyes.

The trouble is, it's never enough.   To me it seems like the Academy has taken some of the criticisms to heart.  Campion was nominated last year, Kwan is up for director this year.   There has been a noticeable shift in acknowledgement of POCs and international movies.  

Maybe, just maybe your movie and/or your directing just wasn't that good.   

It's slowly getting there and we can't pretend that POC and wowen aren't getting more and more opportunities.  

31 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

So this has what it comes down too.  :lol:

If someone doesn't get what they want, then just scream "RACISS!!  MISOGNYN!  OPPRESSED WOMEN!!".   What an entitled, selfish, POS.

Its like Mr. Miyagi said of the crane technique, "If done right, no can defense."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

The trouble is, it's never enough.   To me it seems like the Academy has taken some of the criticisms to heart.  Campion was nominated last year, Kwan is up for director this year.   There has been a noticeable shift in acknowledgement of POCs and international movies.  

It's slowly getting there and we can't pretend that POC and wowen aren't getting more and more opportunities.  

Didn't the academy add requirements that a movie MUST have a minority in a major role in order to even be considered for Best Picture? 

5 minutes ago, DonS said:

Didn't the academy add requirements that a movie MUST have a minority in a major role in order to even be considered for Best Picture? 

Could be, I don't remember that.  I will look after shoveling.  

I thought they were pushing for more minorities in front of and behind the camera though.  

33 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

I agree with you 100%.  See? We can agree on stuff.  That's why I like most of your posts - you seem to be a more grounded liberal.

The problem with most "Progressives" is that they never can see or acknowledge progress, so we're ALWAYS in a state of 1850's US.  Nothing has EVER gotten better - only worse.

So this is how it is these days. 

Black people want 90% of the awards. Any awards. TV, Radio, Movie, as far as entertainment. In sports they want 90% of the players to be black, 100% of the coaching and management and ownership. In all other workplace environments, they want 90% of all management and leadership roles. Or else it's systemic racism.

They want 0% of the black population arrested or even pulled over or else it's systemic racism. 

They want all political positions of power or else it's systemic racism. 

What else out there do they want to dominate else it be racist? 

5 minutes ago, craftsman said:

So this is how it is these days. 

Black people want 90% of the awards. Any awards. TV, Radio, Movie, as far as entertainment. In sports they want 90% of the players to be black, 100% of the coaching and management and ownership. In all other workplace environments, they want 90% of all management and leadership roles. Or else it's systemic racism.

They want 0% of the black population arrested or even pulled over or else it's systemic racism. 

They want all political positions of power or else it's systemic racism. 

What else out there do they want to dominate else it be racist? 

They want to know where are all the white women at, and can they dance with our dates.

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I agree with you 100%.  See? We can agree on stuff.  That's why I like most of your posts - you seem to be a more grounded liberal.

The problem with most "Progressives" is that they never can see or acknowledge progress, so we're ALWAYS in a state of 1850's US.  Nothing has EVER gotten better - only worse.

Here's the thing, and I say it a bunch.   We and me and other righties actually agree on a bit.  

What I have have 0 tolerance for is all the generalizations, horrible name calling, forcing your beliefs on others, things that are in high supply online and in these threads.   Unfortunately I get caught up in this stuff, and it either comes off as or gets twisted into I am in full support of something I'm not.  

• Like 1

@DonS - It looks like you are correct, but it doesn't kick in until next year which is probably why I didn't think that was currently a thing.  

LINK

In its latest announcement, the Academy said it was introducing eligibility requirements for the best picture award "to encourage equitable representation on and off screen in order to better reflect the diversity of the movie-going audience".

It lists in detail the underrepresented groups - which include women, racial and ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities.

It lays out the following areas where such groups need to be involved:

• On-screen acting and storylines, "including at least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group"
  • Creative leadership positions, departmental heads and crew composition
  • Paid apprenticeships, internships and training
  • Audience development, from publicity and marketing to distribution

These detailed requirements will only apply to films made in 2024 for the awards ceremony in 2025, and beyond. Until then, films from 2021 will be required to submit an Academy Inclusion Standards form.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

@DonS - It looks like you are correct, but it doesn't kick in until next year which is probably why I didn't think that was currently a thing.  

LINK

In its latest announcement, the Academy said it was introducing eligibility requirements for the best picture award "to encourage equitable representation on and off screen in order to better reflect the diversity of the movie-going audience".

It lists in detail the underrepresented groups - which include women, racial and ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities.

It lays out the following areas where such groups need to be involved:

• On-screen acting and storylines, "including at least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group"
  • Creative leadership positions, departmental heads and crew composition
  • Paid apprenticeships, internships and training
  • Audience development, from publicity and marketing to distribution

These detailed requirements will only apply to films made in 2024 for the awards ceremony in 2025, and beyond. Until then, films from 2021 will be required to submit an Academy Inclusion Standards form.

I mean, let's dumb things down even more by NOT hiring the best or most qualified.  Checkboxes!  That's the ticket!

Many of Adam Sandlers movies are not very diverse.  Neither was Soul Plane. 

Slumdog Millionaire won an Academy Award for best picture in the mid 2000s. I think this dude's movie just sucked.

Because your movie blowed A-Hole!!! Not because of what color you are, obviously nobody cares because Spike Lee is still making movies that nobody watches. 

2 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I mean, let's dumb things down even more by NOT hiring the best or most qualified.  Checkboxes!  That's the ticket!

The trouble is, this is movies/art - who decides who is "best" or "most qualified"?    What does that look like?   

I get wanting a variety of voices and movies - hell, I want that too.    The battle here is that movies are still a business and they are trying to make their money back.   And now it's even harder for movies to make any money unless it's a blockbuster action movie or a known property.    IMO one of the bigger hurdle is often when a POC or somebody in the LBGTQ banner gets the green light to make a movie, they tell a story about those communities, and you guessed it - those are the types of movies that hardly anybody sees.   Then it doesn't make money, and they are less likely to be given the opportunity to have a Marvel level movie.    Not sure what the answer is.  I get it if a studio took it upon themselves to hire more of those people or try to tell their story.  I don't agree with the Academy mandating that.  

I think at the very least if you are online bitching about how POCs aren't getting chances, you are seeking out their movies on your streaming services and paying to see them in the movie theater.  I don't seem to have any trouble finding movies written by and directed by those groups of people.  Disney and other studios are going out of their way to give chances to a variety of people too.   

8 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

So this has what it comes down too.  :lol:

If someone doesn't get what they want, then just scream "RACISS!!  MISOGNYN!  OPPRESSED WOMEN!!".   What an entitled, selfish, POS.

Of course. We have created a rewards system around this.

They would be foolish to not try this.

3 hours ago, BuckSwope said:

The trouble is, this is movies/art - who decides who is "best" or "most qualified"?    What does that look like?   

I get wanting a variety of voices and movies - hell, I want that too.    The battle here is that movies are still a business and they are trying to make their money back.   And now it's even harder for movies to make any money unless it's a blockbuster action movie or a known property.    IMO one of the bigger hurdle is often when a POC or somebody in the LBGTQ banner gets the green light to make a movie, they tell a story about those communities, and you guessed it - those are the types of movies that hardly anybody sees.   Then it doesn't make money, and they are less likely to be given the opportunity to have a Marvel level movie.    Not sure what the answer is.  I get it if a studio took it upon themselves to hire more of those people or try to tell their story.  I don't agree with the Academy mandating that.  

I think at the very least if you are online bitching about how POCs aren't getting chances, you are seeking out their movies on your streaming services and paying to see them in the movie theater.  I don't seem to have any trouble finding movies written by and directed by those groups of people.  Disney and other studios are going out of their way to give chances to a variety of people too.   

Well said.  Thank you.  :thumbsup:

And to further clarify who gets to decide that, IMO, is the director and the movie studio.  They have a vision of the movie (or whatever) and there is a casting process in place to find the right candidate(s).  The right candidate may be from Group X or Group Y. Like you said, we shouldn't be mandating that Group X MUST be part of the cast or crew.

As far as entire movies being about Group X by Group X and for Group X, ultimately, IMO, if people don't want to see your product then they won't and no amount of virtues or forcing people to hire Group X is going to change that.  If most people with the money have no interest in Group X, then tough sh#t, I guess.  Group X needs to find something else to do.  Your product doesn't sell.  :dunno:

5 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I thought it was squares ? 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I thought it was squares ? 

Checkboxes are all the rage now until squares start whining about representation and diversity, blah blah blah.  Then the squirrels will see the new shiny object and Squares will be the Cause Du Jour.  Until rectangles start whining....

Does that mean the BET Awards are all about "upholding blackness"? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Well said.  Thank you.  :thumbsup:

And to further clarify who gets to decide that, IMO, is the director and the movie studio.  They have a vision of the movie (or whatever) and there is a casting process in place to find the right candidate(s).  The right candidate may be from Group X or Group Y. Like you said, we shouldn't be mandating that Group X MUST be part of the cast or crew.

As far as entire movies being about Group X by Group X and for Group X, ultimately, IMO, if people don't want to see your product then they won't and no amount of virtues or forcing people to hire Group X is going to change that.  If most people with the money have no interest in Group X, then tough sh#t, I guess.  Group X needs to find something else to do.  Your product doesn't sell.  :dunno:

The thing that is never really said is that the same reason these groups are pushing to have movies and stories made is that, generally speaking, people like to see themselves in movies/shows/books and gravitate to stories they can relate to.   So when the majority of the audience is white, and usually the target for the big sales is that pg-13 sweet spot, you are probably already in an uphill battle with getting your movie seen.  

But, that is $ and blockbusters.   Often the way these other award-type movies get $ is by getting award nominations.  That generally gives the movie a bump in tickets or an excuse to re-release it.  

Looking at the Best Picture noms - there Everything Everywhere is largely minority cast and director.  Women Talking is female cast, female director.   Tar's story is about a lesbian orchestra conductor.  There is plenty of representation.  I guess this year there wasn't a black movie or director in there, but we shouldn't overlook Get Out, Moonlight, Green Book, Black Panther, Creed and I am sure several others in the past few years getting love.   

Basically this director is acting like a child because her movie isn't up for an award she thought she deserved. 

• Like 1

I saw a documentary years back called “Fear Of A Black Hat”.  That should have won an award. 

1 hour ago, BuckSwope said:

The thing that is never really said is that the same reason these groups are pushing to have movies and stories made is that, generally speaking, people like to see themselves in movies/shows/books and gravitate to stories they can relate to.   So when the majority of the audience is white, and usually the target for the big sales is that pg-13 sweet spot, you are probably already in an uphill battle with getting your movie seen.  

But, that is $ and blockbusters.   Often the way these other award-type movies get $ is by getting award nominations.  That generally gives the movie a bump in tickets or an excuse to re-release it.  

Looking at the Best Picture noms - there Everything Everywhere is largely minority cast and director.  Women Talking is female cast, female director.   Tar's story is about a lesbian orchestra conductor.  There is plenty of representation.  I guess this year there wasn't a black movie or director in there, but we shouldn't overlook Get Out, Moonlight, Green Book, Black Panther, Creed and I am sure several others in the past few years getting love.   

Basically this director is acting like a child because her movie isn't up for an award she thought she deserved. 

This is the outcome when you start preaching that black people deserve special treatment overall. That they should be given preference to jobs, school admissions, special treatment by the legal community, financial reparations from people who never in their lives did bad to the black community, etc....Black people then start expecting preferential treatment in all aspects of life, or they start crying foul. White Supremacy!!! Racism!!! Systemic Racism!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Didn’t 12 Years a Slave win a crap ton of awards a few years back?

yep, & all you had to have in the movie title was slave & you are winning something.

Even white liberals will one day start getting tired of these black cries of racism. Especially if it doesn't help them get elected anymore at some point.

And that will be the best thing that's ever happened to the black community since the 1800s.

3 minutes ago, craftsman said:

This is the outcome when you start preaching that black people deserve special treatment overall. That they should be given preference to jobs, school admissions, special treatment by the legal community, financial reparations from people who never in their lives did bad to the black community, etc....Black people then start expecting preferential treatment in all aspects of life, or they start crying foul. White Supremacy!!! Racism!!! Systemic Racism!!!

just, just, just, just -------------------so true.

Just now, shadrap said:

yep, & all you had to have in the movie title was slave & you are winning something.

Speaking of slavery movies... 

Is Will Smith banned from simply attending the Oscars after his b1tch slap?  Or is he also prevented from being nominated/winning?

(I'm referring to his recent Emancipation movie) 

32 minutes ago, DonS said:

Speaking of slavery movies... 

Is Will Smith banned from simply attending the Oscars after his b1tch slap?  Or is he also prevented from being nominated/winning?

(I'm referring to his recent Emancipation movie) 

My understanding was that he was banned from the Oscars and Academy related events for 10 years, but he could still be nominated.    

The Academy is a prickly bunch, so I'm not sure I'd hold my breath waiting for him to get nominated sometime soon.  

Agree with Ms. Chukwu.  Perhaps we should do away these award shows until we can get our act together.

9 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

You guys actually care about award shows :lol:

It's interesting to me.  I watch probably 200-300 movies a year and keep up with crap on pods and books.  I will usually watch the Oscars and sometimes the Golden Globes for something to do and I know what people are outraged over.  

Just now, BuckSwope said:

It's interesting to me.  I watch probably 200-300 movies a year and keep up with crap on pods and books.  I will usually watch the Oscars and sometimes the Golden Globes for something to do and I know what people are outraged over.  

You watch 4-6 movies a week?  Dang kid, maybe get outside.

4 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

You watch 4-6 movies a week?  Dang kid, maybe get outside.

I basically watch 0 TV shows or sports.  I will typically watch a movie before bed, and if it's long one maybe stretch it to two nights.   It sounds like a lot, but I'd guess if you add up people's consumption of sports, shows, youtube videos, dicking around on Facebook whatever (none of those things I do), it's on par with or less than my movie habit.  

I live in WI and hate snow and cold.  This time of year and during October is when I usually pad my stats for the year.  

3 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

I basically watch 0 TV shows or sports.  I will typically watch a movie before bed, and if it's long one maybe stretch it to two nights.   It sounds like a lot, but I'd guess if you add up people's consumption of sports, shows, youtube videos, dicking around on Facebook whatever (none of those things I do), it's on par with or less than my movie habit.  

I live in WI and hate snow and cold.  This time of year and during October is when I usually pad my stats for the year.  

If tou watch zero sports then how did you end up on a fantasy football message board?