Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

2023 TV's "A Little Help"

I have three TV's in my house.  The living room, our bedroom and the kids playroom.   All are over 10 years old, one is a 17 year old Samsung LCD that has been a champ, but she's on her last leg.  I'm about to replace that one plus at least one other and this topic is not my strong suit.  After a cursory search I think televisions have beaten out the gheys (LGBTQ+) on the number of letters in acronyms.  QLED, UHD, OLED, UHD, QNED, theremaybemore.

What the absolute Fock.   I need help, just give the best mid-grade acronym that will last the longest.  JFC. 

ETA: 55 to 60 inch  is all I need.  And its not that price is an issue but I don't need the newest technology.  I'm striving for the best technology at the lowest price.  After looking online, not paying more than 1K.  

Do you have a price range in mind?

If you are talking $1500-2000 or more, 100% find the biggest OLED you can get in your range.  I think I saw a few at Costco the other day that were hovering around that $1700-1800 range.  

If you are talking $1 or less, the one I landed on after looking at ratings and bang for the buck was a Hisense.    Pretty sure THIS is the one.  

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

I edited the OP.  Thanks guys. 

If you only need a 55-60 inch, I would still at least make sure it's 4K.  Even if you don't plan on getting a 4k player or anything, more and more streaming is in 4k and you will notice the difference.   

I just google searched "best budget TV" and again a Hisense was recommended:  LINK

17 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

If you only need a 55-60 inch, I would still at least make sure it's 4K.  Even if you don't plan on getting a 4k player or anything, more and more streaming is in 4k and you will notice the difference.   

I just google searched "best budget TV" and again a Hisense was recommended:  LINK

Never heard of the brand Hisense. 

I need an analogy.  Is this like with vehicles a Kia or Hyundai? 

5 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I hadn't either.  Kept seeing them pop up on sites when I was researching tvs as having good picture for the price.  I have 2 now and have had 0 problems with either.  

• Like 1

OLED > QLED > UHD

Sony has the best picture with OLED technology at a cost. 

I'm a Samsung guy anyways and went with their QLED which is catching up with their backlit LEDs. 

UHD is just 4K LED which is a minimum now days.  

Hinesse and such are just cheaper knock offs of the above technologies. They actually buy Sony/Samgung/LG screens to make more bare bones cheaper TVs.  They're usually thicker too which sucks for hanging on a wall.  

-----

If it's in a room that gets light (has windows etc.) The brightness of Samsug is the way to go IMO.  The knock on them is how the QLED renders dark tone.  If it's a home theater room the Sony OLED might be worth the money.  

Another thing I like about Samsung (Sony probably has something similar) is their smart software.  If you buy a knock off brand you'll get cheap software.  It automatically sets up whatever you attach to it, generates a TV guide, and comes with Samsung TV Plus which is a bunch of free internet streaming channels.  It has multi view and picture in a picture to watch two sources at once. Samsung devices will also cast to it at a touch of a button.  

To get the best price point I always buy last years model as the improvements year to year are slight. Not sure when the 2023 models come out, that would be a good time to grab a 2022.  I can also help you thread the needle on model numbers.  I think its QN85, QN90 and QN95 for 2022 models.  You have to look at the difference vs what features you want.   I got the equivalent (different year) of the QN90 for the living room and QN85 for the bedroom. You probably wont need the top of the line or the Neo unless you like to spend money. For what you're looking for its $1,200 to $1,500.  Or go back to 2021 and you might get it for under a grand each. 

Once you grasp the concept of the numbers you can go to Best Buy and you'll see the difference in the three different technologies if you want.  Basically you'll chit your pants if you've been watching TVs older than 10 years.  You'll drool at the Sony compared to a regular old UHD, at a cost.  Once you decide make and model go back and price shop.  I got one from Amazon and the other Best Buy knowing the exact model I wanted and who had it cheapest.   

The Sony A95K model is the current creme de la creme of the OLED tv's, at about $2500 for the 55"

12 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

The Sony A95K model is the current creme de la creme of the OLED tv's, at about $2500 for the 55"

Dude said in the op he's not paying more than $1k and doesn't need the best tech. 

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

My gaming tv is a Hisense, they offer the most performance for the dollar however they are also the most unreliable tv on the market. 

I bought a "high end" Hisense 50" tv with extremely low input lag. However even though I bought that brand I would not recommend it. On other more technical forums I post at people complain about them breaking. This does not bother me because tv tech changes so fast when my gaming tv goes it gives me an excuse to upgrade.

I would recommend a cheap lg 65" 4k tv from Costco for your needs. It will be a major upgrade, will only cost ~350 dollars, and will last a long time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

Dude said in the op he's not paying more than $1k and doesn't need the best tech. 

Threading the needle for best tech at the best price might not quite get there. 55" maybe.  

4 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I would recommend a cheap lg 65" 4k tv from Costco for your needs. It will be a major upgrade, will only cost ~350 dollars, and will last a long time.

Cant argue with that.  Might be the best bang for your buck in UHD.  

TV’s are one thing we always spend $$$ on. Our logic is we buy the best and keep it 8-10yrs. Only exception was when we bought our first oled. We got a 65" about 4yrs ago and loved it so much we bought a 2nd 77"a year ago and moved the smaller one to the bedroom. Best decision ever. 

3 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I have three TV's in my house.  The living room, our bedroom and the kids playroom.   All are over 10 years old, one is a 17 year old Samsung LCD that has been a champ, but she's on her last leg.  I'm about to replace that one plus at least one other and this topic is not my strong suit.  After a cursory search I think televisions have beaten out the gheys (LGBTQ+) on the number of letters in acronyms.  QLED, UHD, OLED, UHD, QNED, theremaybemore.

What the absolute Fock.   I need help, just give the best mid-grade acronym that will last the longest.  JFC. 

ETA: 55 to 60 inch  is all I need.  And its not that price is an issue but I don't need the newest technology.  I'm striving for the best technology at the lowest price.  After looking online, not paying more tha 1K.  

Go bigger. You won’t regret it.  Trust me. 

10 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

You'll be replacing it in a couple of years. 

Buy a Sony that fits in your budget. 

Costco does not currently have any deals on LG 65", the below is the best deal i could find locally. You can find 65" LG in the 350-400 dollar range if you are patient.

Microcenter is one of the best electronics stores in the country, but sadly they do not ship.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/662296/lg-65-class-(645-diag)-4k-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv

https://www.consumerreports.org/tvs/hisense-vizio-tvs-lose-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues-a9492902364/

Consumer Reports estimates that 20 percent of Hisense and Vizio TVs will experience a problem within the first five years. Both brands get a rating of Fair for predicted reliability. By comparison, we estimate that 11 percent of TVs made by Sony, which has a Very Good rating for reliability, will develop a problem during that period.

No brand that earns a Poor or Fair rating for predicted reliability is eligible for a CR recommendation. In addition to Vizio and Hisense, Element, RCA, and Westinghouse also have subpar reliability ratings. But no models from those brands had high enough Overall Scores to be recommended.

29 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

You'll be replacing it in a couple of years. 

Buy a Sony that fits in your budget. 

I've had both for years, but whatever.   I'll just fock off.  ;)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, edjr said:

Yes. 

@KSB2424 Another nice feature with Samsung since 2021 is the solar panel remote. No more foking with batteries.  If it ever goes dead you can charge by usb-c, but the remote will charge itself just from the light off the TV. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Yes. 

@KSB2424 Another nice feature with Samsung since 2021 is the solar panel remote. No more foking with batteries.  If it ever goes dead you can charge by usb-c, but the remote will charge itself just from the light off the TV. 

Correct. I love the remote charging with the sun 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogerDodger said:

Yes. 

Thanks for the info. I bought my 55 Samsung in 2018 so no cool remote for me. But I’ve had no complaints with the TV other than it was more than I wanted to spend at the time. It was palatable because I had to get rid of Best Buy gift cards but I would not have paid full price. 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Correct. I love the remote charging with the sun 

The downside is if the puppy gets ahold of it, replacements are like $80+.  :angry: 🐕

@KSB2424  I’m also not a huge TV tech buff but one thing I remember reading a lot about the last time I bought a TV (gift for pops) was refresh rate. Years ago, there was a distinct difference between 60hz, 120hz, 240? As in these specs were clearly listed. For someone interest in sports and faster action movies you wanted to ignore anything less than 120. 
when I was shopping for pops, I noticed most brands no longer were very transparent about this info. A lot of language like “up to 120hz” which is discovered was really 60hz with some boosts that could increase that based on settings, etc. 

Not sure if this is still the case or if it was only the case because I wasn’t looking for a UHD, QLED, OLED etc. 

6 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

The downside is if the puppy gets ahold of it, replacements are like $80+.  :angry: 🐕

Luckily I am gay and we only have a cat

10 hours ago, OldMaid said:

TV’s are one thing we always spend $$$ on. Our logic is we buy the best and keep it 8-10yrs. Only exception was when we bought our first oled. We got a 65" about 4yrs ago and loved it so much we bought a 2nd 77"a year ago and moved the smaller one to the bedroom. Best decision ever. 

I know people with super expensive TVs that needed to be replaced after 3 years.. and budget TVs that lasted 15. I really think these days it’s just the luck of the draw. 

long ago my father would buy Sharp Aquos TVs. When he bought a larger one he gave my grandmother the old one. It’s still going strong 20 years later. Those Sharps were focking awesome. 

10 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

My dog has chewed up my remote pretty well, but it still works.  He cracked the solar panel on the back too but it still charges.

The reliability of the TV has little to do with the price.  The price is directly related to the tech inside the TV and cost to make it.  And actually the new tech does tend to break more often.

9 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

@KSB2424  I’m also not a huge TV tech buff but one thing I remember reading a lot about the last time I bought a TV (gift for pops) was refresh rate. Years ago, there was a distinct difference between 60hz, 120hz, 240? As in these specs were clearly listed. For someone interest in sports and faster action movies you wanted to ignore anything less than 120. 
when I was shopping for pops, I noticed most brands no longer were very transparent about this info. A lot of language like “up to 120hz” which is discovered was really 60hz with some boosts that could increase that based on settings, etc. 

Not sure if this is still the case or if it was only the case because I wasn’t looking for a UHD, QLED, OLED etc. 

Correct, good point!  The big sizes you find on sale for $300-$400 will always be the low end 60hz.  120 is pretty standard for the mid-price range on up.   I don't see many 240, I think it surpasses the human eye at some point there.

Hey KSB2424, you near Memphis?   I hear TV's are gonna be free in Memphis tonight. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

I know people with super expensive TVs that needed to be replaced after 3 years.. and budget TVs that lasted 15. I really think these days it’s just the luck of the draw. 

long ago my father would buy Sharp Aquos TVs. When he bought a larger one he gave my grandmother the old one. It’s still going strong 20 years later. Those Sharps were focking awesome. 

Thankfully, we’ve never had that issue. And now that I’ve typed that-the universe will probably go out of its way to prove me wrong. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Doing a little quick research, the q7 series looks like it's from their 2021 line and the q80 from 2022.  The Q7 has HDMI 2.0 while the Q80 has HDMI 2.1.   The Q80 also has better HDR (high dynamic range) which allows for more colors with compatible material.  There are probably other differences but bottom line is the Q80 is better which is why it's priced higher.

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

Doing a little quick research, the q7 series looks like it's from their 2021 line and the q80 from 2022.  The Q7 has HDMI 2.0 while the Q80 has HDMI 2.1.   The Q80 also has better HDR (high dynamic range) which allows for more colors with compatible material.  There are probably other differences but bottom line is the Q80 is better which is why it's priced higher.

Perfect.  I think I'll get the more expensive one, the Q80.  I can't go larger than 55' or it will not fit in my built in cabinets.  

But that's a good TV for the price correct?

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Go bigger. You won’t regret it. 

I know I know, but I have custom built in's and 55" is as big as I can go.  The cabinets were built back before 65 inch TV's existed.  lol