Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

timschoschet: i totally trust the new york times and washington post

lets find examples where they are clearly misinforming and misleading the public.

who here wishes to point out the disinformation spread by the new york times regarding hunter bidens laptop?

Tim had this position at FBG; I wondered if it would come up here.  He took crap for it there, deservedly so.  IIRC his argument was along the lines of "we have to get our info from somewhere; if not them, who?"  But I'll let him try to defend himself.  :cheers: 

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Tim had this position at FBG; I wondered if it would come up here.  He took crap for it there, deservedly so.  IIRC his argument was along the lines of "we have to get our info from somewhere; if not them, who?"  But I'll let him try to defend himself.  :cheers: 

Umm no that wasn’t my defense. I find them trustworthy. That’s it. 

But I do find fascinating this guys obsession with what news I believe. Why does it matter to him, enough to start a thread? And this is the same guy who things we’re about to be in a nuclear war. If I thought nukes were coming, I’m sure I’d have something better to do than start threads about the reading habits of people I don’t even know. 

So since people seem to care about my reading habits, I’m currently reading 5 books. (I read them on Kindle, one-two chapters, then switch to the next):

1. War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk 

2. the Fourth Protocol by Frederick Forsyth 

3. A Man Called Ove by Frederick Bachmann 

4. The Blue Nowhere by Jeffrey Deaver 

5. American Caesar by William Manchester 

6 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

But I do find fascinating this guys obsession with what news I believe. Why does it matter to him, enough to start a thread? And this is the same guy who things we’re about to be in a nuclear war. If I thought nukes were coming, I’m sure I’d have something better to do than start threads about the reading habits of people I don’t even know. 

Love the whole verbal pause thrown in a post online. :lol:

I just finished Better Call Saul and Ozark and I am currently watching  4 shows: 

The Good Fight 

Borgen 

The Crown 

Dopesick 

Borgen I only just started so I’ll see if I like it. The others I’m pretty deep into. Dopesick is a pretty depressing watch. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

I just finished Better Call Saul and Ozark and I am currently watching  4 shows: 

The Good Fight 

Borgen 

The Crown 

Dopesick 

Borgen I only just started so I’ll see if I like it. The others I’m pretty deep into. Dopesick is a pretty depressing watch. 

How did you watch the last season of Saul, if not AMC (I think that's where it originated)?  I don't have AMC streaming and I haven't found it elsewhere. :wall: 

The Crown was good, if you are a history buff, which you seem to be.  :thumbsup:

Just now, jerryskids said:

How did you watch the last season of Saul, if not AMC (I think that's where it originated)?  I don't have AMC streaming and I haven't found it elsewhere. :wall: 

The Crown was good, if you are a history buff, which you seem to be.  :thumbsup:

It's on Netflix up to season 6. I just started Season 5 myself. 

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

If you haven’t seen it I don’t want to say. Shocking plot twists, and several Breaking Bad MAJOR characters appear. I paid to watch it on Amazon. 

1 minute ago, craftsman said:

It's on Netflix up to season 6. I just started Season 5 myself. 

The final season wasn't on Netflix last I checked.  Just looked, still isn't, but apparently you can VPN into the UK (or other country that Netflix provides it for some reason, since they don't yet in the US.  I don't have a VPN service.  I just asked my wife if I could use her work VPN and her response, I paraphrase, is "f*ck off."  

How to Watch Better Call Saul Season 6 on Netflix in USA – Quick Steps

To watch Better Call Saul Season 6 Netflix series in USA, you need a VPN to get access. To access Netflix UK from different regions, we recommend getting ExpressVPN due to its fast UK servers. Here’s what you need to do to get access:

1. Subscribe to a premium VPN; Our top recommendation is ExpressVPN due to its thunder-fast speed!
  2. Download its app on your preferred streaming device.
  3. Launch the VPN app and use it to connect to a server located in UK. (East London)
  4. Now open the Netflix app or website and log in with your account credentials.
  5. Now you’ll find Better Call Saul Season 6 on Netflix easily.

https://www.screenbinge.com/netflix/how-to-watch-better-call-saul-on-netflix/

2 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

If you haven’t seen it I don’t want to say. Shocking plot twists, and several Breaking Bad MAJOR characters appear. I paid to watch it on Amazon. 

I watched Breaking Bad while going through chemo for cancer that metastasized to my lungs.  🤪

Also I wasn't asking for details on the final season, so thanks for not providing them.  

Perhaps I'll look into Amazon, if I get impatient enough.  I'm a slow binger (is that a thing?) and just started Season 2 of Stranger things, so I'll be busy for a while.  Wife and I are watching Last Kingdom (early season 2) and The Office (US, also early season 2).  Weird that we are around the same place in on 3 shows as I type this.  :dunno: 

I recorded Season 6 of Better Call Saul off of AMC in the last year but I need seasons 1 - 5.  I don't have Netflix and just canceled Amazon Prime.  I was hoping AMC would play the entire 6 seasons but they haven't as of yet.

There are ways to get VPN.  When I had Kaspersky antivirus it had VPN on it.  I have Norton now and not sure if it offers it, but I don't need VPN, you do so hope you find a way to get season 6.

28 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

They lose their sh!t if anyone gives credibility to the Washington Post and New York Times. It's not "news" unless it spews out of Cucker Carlson's piehole, gets aired on Newsmax or comes from some lunatic alt-right podcaster who says what they want to hear. 

They're sheeple who can't think for themselves. They regurgitate the far-right gibber jabber and act like a bunch of women menstruating together. Pretty funny to watch, albeit predictable.

1 minute ago, Pimpadeaux said:

They lose their sh!t if anyone gives credibility to the Washington Post and New York Times. It's not "news" unless it spews out of Cucker Carlson's, gets aired on Newsmax or comes from some lunatic alt-right podcaster who says what they want to hear. 

They're sheeple who can't think for themselves. They regurgitate the far-right gibber jabber and act like a bunch of women menstruating together. Pretty funny to watch, albeit predictable.

The slimes and the compost. Rusty's and timmy's speed. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

They lose their sh!t if anyone gives credibility to the Washington Post and New York Times. It's not "news" unless it spews out of Cucker Carlson's piehole, gets aired on Newsmax or comes from some lunatic alt-right podcaster who says what they want to hear. 

NYT Public Editor, 2004

NYT Public Editor, 2016

From InfluenceWatch, plenty of more links to articles discussing the NYT left bias:

The New York Times (NYT or Times) is a newspaper and digital media brand published by The New York Times Company. Founded in 1851, the Times has long been one of the most prestigious and highest-profile newspapers in the world. [1] For much of its existence, the NYT was known as “The Gray Lady,” both for its tradition of only printing in black and white and for its careful, deliberative approach to journalism. [2]

While the NYT has featured a left-leaning editorial page for more than a century, its news coverage had been overseen by a succession of executive editors who were widely considered to make good-faith efforts to avoid partisan bias in the paper’s news coverage. [3] [4] In recent decades, that reputation has been eroded by the intrusion of increasing amounts of left-leaning bias and advocacy into news coverage under a succession of more activist editors and publishers. [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]

• Confused 1

@jerryskidsJust download it.  Anything I don't have a subscription to I just d/l off a torrent site.   Not gonna post publicly but I can offer suggestions via PM if you are interested.  Oh, and another option is to just invest in a VPN.  I use Private Internet Access (PIA).  It's like $40/year for multiple systems.  You can then get an IP in almost any country you'd want. 

22 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

NYT Public Editor, 2004

NYT Public Editor, 2016

From InfluenceWatch, plenty of more links to articles discussing the NYT left bias:

And who runs InfluenceWatch?  The Capital Research Center. It is a conservative think tank, founded by a former senior VP of the Heritage Foundation, with prominent members such as Edwin Meese, and Larry Arnn (president of Hillsdale college) listed on their website. Not exactly an unbiased arbiter of others’ bias.

Of course a right-wing think tank would consider the NYT to be left-biased. 

If we want a recent example of quality reporting: consider the recent release of Trump’s tax returns by Congress. It ended up being a non-story. Why? The NYT already managed to get the info from other sources years ago, and their reporting held up as completely accurate when the returns were officially released.

The NYT isn’t perfect, and even liberals have concerns about choices they’ve made at times. But I think they’ve earned the title of “the paper of record” having been one of the most consistent and accurate sources of info since the 1850s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

NYT Public Editor, 2004

NYT Public Editor, 2016

I've acknowledged the left-leaning bias myriad times, but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater and entirely dismiss a source, no more than I entirely dismiss Fox, which does have some balanced, unbiased coverage in it's day-to-day coverage.

The New York Times and Washington Post do more thorough journalism than anyone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

@jerryskidsJust download it.  Anything I don't have a subscription to I just d/l off a torrent site.   Not gonna post publicly but I can offer suggestions via PM if you are interested.

I'm not familiar with such sites, a PM would be appreciated.  :cheers: 

1 minute ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I've acknowledged the left-leaning bias myriad times, but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater and entirely dismiss a source, no more than I entirely dismiss Fox, which does have some balanced, unbiased coverage in it's day-to-day coverage.

The New York Times and Washington Post do more thorough journalism than anyone.

Y'all funny. 

6 minutes ago, dogcows said:

And who runs InfluenceWatch?  The Capital Research Center. It is a conservative think tank, founded by a former senior VP of the Heritage Foundation, with prominent members such as Edwin Meese, and Larry Arnn (president of Hillsdale college) listed on their website. Not exactly an unbiased arbiter of others’ bias.

Of course a right-wing think tank would consider the NYT to be left-biased. 

If we want a recent example of quality reporting: consider the recent release of Trump’s tax returns by Congress. It ended up being a non-story. Why? The NYT already managed to get the info from other sources years ago, and their reporting held up as completely accurate when the returns were officially released.

The NYT isn’t perfect, and even liberals have concerns about choices they’ve made at times. But I think they’ve earned the title of “the paper of record” having been one of the most consistent and accurate sources of info since the 1850s.

Sigh... I see you ignored the first two links from Public Editors of the NYT.  Also, I only posted the InfluenceWatch because it included a bunch of other links to NYT lefty bias.

Otherwise good job, good effort.  :thumbsup: 

• Confused 1

As for a conservative newspaper that was long considered a very reliable source? The Wall Street Journal. Sadly, the quality of that publication dropped quite a bit after it was purchased by Rupert Murdoch in ‘07.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Sigh... I see you ignored the first two links from Public Editors of the NYT.  Also, I only posted the InfluenceWatch because it included a bunch of other links to NYT lefty bias.

Otherwise good job, good effort.  :thumbsup: 

I didn’t ignore those. I read them. A 19-year old article on bias is too far out of date, considering how few people working there now were there in 2004 (and considering the now-widespread acceptance of gay marriage, maybe it was a centrist point of view after all…). Were I to review the WSJ of 2004, I’d say it was mostly unbiased with a slight conservative bent. That sure isn’t the case today.

The 2016 article was more about the perception of a liberal bias than an actual accusation of it. More of a “we need to work harder to make sure we aren’t biased,” not a condemnation. One could ask if they took that to heart as of 2023. Writers like Bret Stephens, David Brooks, and John McWhorter indicate that The NY Times does want to have some conservative voices.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Y'all funny. 

Why don't you post some reputable, fact-based, thorough, right-leaning news sources?

I'll sit back and listen.

What everyone must realize is that the New York Times and Washington Posts are just mouthpieces for the government.  Their journalism consists 100 of what government sources feed them.   Certainly, it is full of facts and insight, but the presentation and what is presented is nothing but manipulative propaganda.   Alternative sources have a much harder time getting to the inside and are prone to government disinformation which seek to discredit them.  Source like Project Veritas who resort to investigative reporting which is now considered taboo and heavily demonized by the state-media.  Who cares of the FBI lies in court to get warrants, seizes their phones and laptops, coerces social media giants to spy on and provide personal records from them?  The fact is, our unelected government is way too big and is no longer working for the people.   It is completely out of control and answers to no one, including Congress.  

5 hours ago, dogcows said:

As for a conservative newspaper that was long considered a very reliable source? The Wall Street Journal. Sadly, the quality of that publication dropped quite a bit after it was purchased by Rupert Murdoch in ‘07.

You are missing the picture.   The sources you love and trust are state-fed sources which feed you what their government sources tell them.  The closest thing they have done to investigative journalism are things like Watergate and Iran-contra, which are just CIA and FBI sources feeding journalist stories to take down president's they don't like.  After JFK, the intelligence cartel learned how tough it is to get away with actually assassinating presidents.