Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Official Super Bowl Thread: Eagles v Chiefs

30 minutes ago, nobody said:

I'd make the Eagles a 3 point favorite

I'd agree. The Chiefs ended the AFC Championship with MVS, Skyy Moore and Marcus Kemp at wide receiver. Pacheco was banged up too and Mahomes aggravated his ankle during the game.

As a side note, I find it comical that Mahomes was off the injury report, one week after suffering a high ankle sprain.

57 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

As a side note, I find it comical that Mahomes was off the injury report, one week after suffering a high ankle sprain.

For the record, I think they misdiagnosed that as a high ankle sprain.  A mid-grade low ankle sprain would be more in line with what his mobility looked like.

Actually, I should say misreported and not misdiagnosed.

• Like 1

Regardless, it was obviously affecting him even before he aggravated it in the second half. Sees like he should've been listed on final injury report with an ankle. <_<

54 minutes ago, nobody said:

For the record, I think they misdiagnosed that as a high ankle sprain.  A mid-grade low ankle sprain would be more in line with what his mobility looked like.

Not misreported.  His foot everted during the tackle last week that injured his ankle.  That's a high ankle sprain.  Severity is key.

• Like 1

Nothing to bet on, the m/l isn’t worth an investment.  

I like Eagles by double digits.  

• Thanks 1

I realize I've kind of flooded stuff here.   But we have two weeks to basically talk about nothing now (unless you want to talk about Joe Burrow playing in a flag football game.  And these will get diluted and lost over time as other threads are bumped and created.   But nothing like reminding folks of their hot takes and Mahomes being lost without tyreek or never making it to another super bowl again :banana:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

Nothing to bet on, the m/l isn’t worth an investment.  

I like Eagles by double digits.  

wouldn't eagles -2.5 be attractive then?

personally, i'm looking at that over....at least i think so....

It'll be the Eagles.  Lady luck is on their side this year.  No major injuries, a favorable schedule where they played teams early that got hot in the second half, they played good teams when they had key players out (i.e. Dak in first meeting), Aaron Rodgers getting hurt in the Green Bay game, Brock Purdy getting hurt on Sunday... now Mahomes has an injured ankle and aggravated it on Sunday.  They even played the Bears after Fields missed a game due to an injury and wasn't even fully ready.  All the signs are there.

If I were a gambling man, I'd tease the line to give the Chiefs more points and take the Eagles.

11 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

But nothing like reminding folks of their hot takes and Mahomes being lost without tyreek or never making it to another super bowl again

It's especially satisfying when people go for the low-hanging fruit--a lot easier to say that a player will never go to the SuperBowl again than that they will, since the odds of any given player making it to the SuperBowl are 1 in 16 every year.

If they can't win a 15-1 bet, they might want to keep their mouths shut next time, unless of course they are a full-on retard or an extremely slow learner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It'll be the Eagles.  Lady luck is on their side this year.  No major injuries, a favorable schedule where they played teams early that got hot in the second half, they played good teams when they had key players out (i.e. Dak in first meeting), Aaron Rodgers getting hurt in the Green Bay game, Brock Purdy getting hurt on Sunday... now Mahomes has an injured ankle and aggravated it on Sunday.  They even played the Bears after Fields missed a game due to an injury and wasn't even fully ready.  All the signs are there.

If I were a gambling man, I'd tease the line to give the Chiefs more points and take the Eagles.

If my hypothesis is correct and Mahomes didn't have a high ankle sprain but rather a mid-grade low ankle sprain, he'll be perfectly fine for the Super Bowl.

11 hours ago, cavern said:

wouldn't eagles -2.5 be attractive then?

personally, i'm looking at that over....at least i think so....

Yes if you bet that way, I like M/L bets.  I’ll bet the spread if I first take the M/L , but there isn’t a m/l.  No I won’t be placing any money on this contest l but I do think it will be Eagles by double digits. 

8 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It's especially satisfying when people go for the low-hanging fruit--a lot easier to say that a player will never go to the SuperBowl again than that they will, since the odds of any given player making it to the SuperBowl are 1 in 16 every year.

If they can't win a 15-1 bet, they might want to keep their mouths shut next time.

KC won’t  make the super bowl next season.  😗

Just saw an interesting little factoid, which I have not verified myself, but apparently while everyone knows the Chiefs and Eagles have identical records at 16-3, most people don't know that the Chiefs and Eagles both scored exactly 546 points on the season (including playoffs).

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Just saw an interesting little factoid, which I have not verified myself, but apparently while everyone knows the Chiefs and Eagles have identical records at 16-3, most people don't know that the Chiefs and Eagles both scored exactly 546 points on the season (including playoffs).

How many points did each team allow - I guess that will tell you everything you need to know and they won't actually have to play the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

How many points did each team allow - I guess that will tell you everything you need to know and they won't actually have to play the Super Bowl.

Just out of curiosity, I looked it up--and yep, the Chiefs win that category as well (399-369)!

Proof positive that the Chiefs played the more difficult schedule.  The Eagles probly woulda gone 10-9 if they'd played the schedule the Chiefs went 16-3 against, if you distribute those extra 30 points scored against the Chiefs to the Eagles' opponents over a handful of their close games.

P.S. With all the Chiefs' injuries, though, I think it is in the Eagles' best interest to still play the game.  Something wacky could happen.

The winner of the Super Bowl will have more wins in Glendale this year than the Cardinals.

On 1/29/2023 at 9:41 PM, nobody said:

fully agree.   a guy with a high ankle sprain shouldnt be able to move like Mahomes did on that play at the end of the game before the FG.

A normal ankle sprain https://instituteforathleticmedicine.com/specialties/foot-and-ankle/ankle-sprains/ is injury to a different ligament as compared to a high ankle sprain.  Good Lord, Mahomes has a high ankle sprain by definition, although it's a poor name. https://instituteforathleticmedicine.com/specialties/foot-and-ankle/high-ankle-sprain-syndesmosis-ligament-injury/ It's what occurs when the ligament is injured when the foot everts.  The way his foot turns the only thing it could be is a high ankle sprain, a break, or nothing.  It's not a simple ankle sprain that occurs like when someone steps on another players foot playing basketball and "rolls their ankle" or "sprains their ankle". 

So it wasn’t a high ankle sprain, and it wasn’t a elbow injury, so just what was it? 

19 hours ago, weepaws said:

So it wasn’t a high ankle sprain, and it wasn’t a elbow injury, so just what was it? 

A run of the mill sprained ankle.

You can't jog around on a high ankle sprain.  Low ankle sprains you can. 

Whew I’m glad that’s over, high ankle sprain might have cost KC the AFC Championship.  But now we know it wasn’t an high ankle sprain, all is good again.  

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 12:46 PM, nobody said:

A run of the mill sprained ankle.

You can't jog around on a high ankle sprain.  Low ankle sprains you can. 

well, when I had it It was considered a minor one.  I could walk,  and lightly jog so long as I was careful.    what I couldnt do is use the stairs as that was an awful lot of pain to try it, and I couldnt run at full speed,  plant and make any kind of sharp cuts on the affected foot.

I was however able to stand, plant my foot to make a throw.   it did get painful to throw when I got tired or got it hit once or twice.    Then it would affect my throwing motion some.

I did see some of that late in the game with Mahomes but the inability to run or make a cut was certainly not there.   he looked pretty fine on that last scramble.

maybe the sprain was so mild they may not have normally even mentioned it on the injury report except for the fact it was a playoff game.

either way, with 2 weeks off I fully expect mahomes to be pretty close to 100%

I think if he is, they should have a slight edge in this game.  if hes not close to 100% as I predict, then I'd give the edge to the eagles.    Really for me this game comes down to how effective Mahomes can be when he plays.

It should be a good game, let's hope so at least.

I think the Chiefs will win as long as they don't have any major injury setbacks.

Mahomes will win his 2nd ring and solidify his place as the best QB in the NFL today.

That's my pick at least.

Chiefs win 31-26

If Mahomes keeps up his current pace and plays until he's Tom Brady's age, he will have hosted 23 Conference Championship Games.

Tom Brady hosted 7.

(Mahomes has hosted 5 already.)

And let’s look at it a different way, if this season was last one to host a conference championship, Brady would have had two more, so there’s that.  

• Confused 1

Extrapolation is fun but meaningless.  If Brady had maintained his early career pace, he would have won 15 Super Bowls.

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

Extrapolation is fun but meaningless.

It just kind of puts the best start in history to an NFL QB's career into perspective to compare where Mahomes will be at his current pace to where Brady is at the age of 45.

Just so ya know. Andy Reid was never fired in Philly, it was mutual. The owner even offered to let him take a year off to take care of his home life that was falling apart. His Son was badly addicted to heroin at the time and in trouble with the law, he later died. Andy opted for a change of scenery instead. 

When Andy arrived in KC one of the first things he did was fire Nick Sirianni. So if there's any drama it's not with the Andy Reid and the Eagles, it's with Sirianni and Reid.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/07/eagles-nick-sirianni-motivation-andy-reid

Heck with the game, let’s just have the two of them get into a ring and duke it out.  

18 hours ago, League Champion said:

Just so ya know. Andy Reid was never fired in Philly, it was mutual. The owner even offered to let him take a year off to take care of his home life that was falling apart. His Son was badly addicted to heroin at the time and in trouble with the law, he later died. Andy opted for a change of scenery instead. 

When Andy arrived in KC one of the first things he did was fire Nick Sirianni. So if there's any drama it's not with the Andy Reid and the Eagles, it's with Sirianni and Reid.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/07/eagles-nick-sirianni-motivation-andy-reid

even so, this stuff is rarely personal.

usually when a new boss comes into a place the first thing he does is bring in his own people that he knows and trusts.

Siranni should know this.   I doubt there are any hard feelings.   but the media will hype it up to the extent that they can.  in the end its a nothingburger.