Sign in to follow this  
Engorgeous George

Drone Military Submarines. Do we have them yet?

Seems the aspect of having our subs be a habitat for people is a tremendously limiting design factor.  If they were drones they would be smaller, could go deeper, run quieter.  Why is this not done?  Is there constant maintenance which must be done daily?  Any submariners here who could speak on this without violating some oath.

I'm picturing platforms for nuclear weapons which could be silently prepositioned, laying in wait.  I am imagining them with stealth tech, maybe even the ability to extrude some false envelope once positioned which envelope would hide the dimensions of the sub and absorb or deflect sonar and radar.

When someone sh1ts in the tub

56 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

They are called Torpedos dumbass.

And are these torpedos capable of lying dormant before being targeted and launched?  How about balistic missle subs?

I get that there were once mines similar in some respects to what you raise, but I am thinking a more complex weapons p;atform, fully equal to and analogous to a nuclear attack sub or a ballistic missle sub.

Oh, as for the dumbass comment, no need to sweet talk me, just come right out and ask for the 'favor" you want.  I will turn you down, but you will save both of us some time if you don't beat around the bush.

The problem is that GPS does not penetrate the ocean. So we have no positioning system to determine where the drones would be and how to guide them, similar to what exists for airborne drones.

its interesting that we still have not completely explored the ocean but pretty soon we will have the tech to have military drone submarines armed with nukes and fully driven by AI able to make its own decisions.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

The problem is that GPS does not penetrate the ocean. So we have no positioning system to determine where the drones would be and how to guide them, similar to what exists for airborne drones.

I had that thought but did not know if that might have been addressed by tech I had not heard about.  Are you speaking from practical assumption or from knowledge?.  

6 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I had that thought but did not know if that might have been addressed by tech I had not heard about.  Are you speaking from practical assumption or from knowledge?.  

I know that GPS does not penetrate the ocean. There can be workarounds with a buoy system. A quick google search shows that DARPA was trying to fund this, but I do not know how far they have gotten. I am assuming if they have gotten far it is classified, which means I can probably find it in a government officials garage if i was more curious.

Below link is from 2018 and at that time they were not extremely far along.

https://warriormaven.com/future-weapons/darpa-explores-undersea-gps-like-network

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

I know that GPS does not penetrate the ocean. There can be workarounds with a buoy system. A quick google search shows that DARPA was trying to fund this, but I do not know how far they have gotten. I am assuming if they have gotten far it is classified, which means I can probably find it in a government officials garage if i was more curious.

Below link is from 2018 and at that time they were not extremely far along.

https://warriormaven.com/future-weapons/darpa-explores-undersea-gps-like-network

Interesting.  Thank you.

48 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

And are these torpedos capable of lying dormant before being targeted and launched?  How about balistic missle subs?

I get that there were once mines similar in some respects to what you raise, but I am thinking a more complex weapons p;atform, fully equal to and analogous to a nuclear attack sub or a ballistic missle sub.

Oh, as for the dumbass comment, no need to sweet talk me, just come right out and ask for the 'favor" you want.  I will turn you down, but you will save both of us some time if you don't beat around the bush.

Dude, im just being a smartass...i should have put some smilies after.  I wasnt being literal...more smart alec.  My bad totally.

On a serious note...im sure we have Rov type torpedo launchers or mine layers...sticking them to ships etc.

Small I am sure so not to be detected..but not much naval warfare to show off our stuff.

3 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Dude, im just being a smartass...i should have put some smilies after.  I wasnt being literal...more smart alec.  My bad totally.

No worries.  I know you were joking and I thought I would simply poke back in kind.  I like and admire any man who knows what a cloaca is.  You are good folks in my book.