listen2me 23

Broncos Head Coach: Sean Payton

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

how so?  Can you explain it to me like I don't know anything?  

They gave up:

3 1sts. 3 2nds. A 5th.  Lock, Shelby, Font

For 

Over the hill Russ.  A coach.  And a 3rd and 4th rounder.  

Insanity. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

This seems like a bad move. John Elway was a fine QB, maybe not so much a GM…

Elways is not the GM.  I believe for two years now.

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

This seems like a bad move. John Elway was a fine QB, maybe not so much a GM…

John elway has not been the GM for a few years, however Condoleezza Rice was supposedly a voice in the coaching search.

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

They gave up:

For 

Insanity. 

Ah...of course.  Thanks for the explanation!

Ill try to find it.  But the other day I saw a side by side comparison of McCarthy's resume and Payton's resume.  They were virtually identical.   Mikes may have been better by itself on paper. 

Not trying to say Payton doesn't know offense or isn't  a good coach.   But it puts it in perspective. 

15 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

They gave up:

For 

Insanity. 

That is 90s Minnesota Vikings kind of stupid. Might even be worse. 

3 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Its worse because today teams understand value more.  

If you are going to make a blockbuster trade then do it for a blockbuster player.  I will give them the benefit of not realizing Wilson was so shot.  But eirher way they had to of known he was at least on the declinein some fashion.  

Maybe last season was a fluke and Russ proves everyone wrong.  But even if it was....what is he? The 8th best QB in the AFC?  At worst if last year wasn't a fluke, a bottom end starter in the whole NFL? 

Reports are they were still trying to get Ryans to take it over Houston.   Ryans didn't change his mind so they just said what the hell and traded picks for Payton.   

So a boat load for a declining QB.

And a boat load for your 2nd choice at HC.  

Now thats value.

5 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Decoupled from Wilson, the Peyton part alone is a 2023 1st and a 2024 2nd for Peyton and a 2024 3rd.

The only way to make this more humiliating is if Hackett whips the Jets offense into something decent and they comfortably make a wildcard spot.

13 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Its worse because today teams understand value more.  

If you are going to make a blockbuster trade then do it for a blockbuster player.  I will give them the benefit of not realizing Wilson was so shot.  But eirher way they had to of known he was at least on the declinein some fashion.  

Maybe last season was a fluke and Russ proves everyone wrong.  But even if it was....what is he? The 8th best QB in the AFC?  At worst if last year wasn't a fluke, a bottom end starter in the whole NFL? 

Reports are they were still trying to get Ryans to take it over Houston.   Ryans didn't change his mind so they just said what the hell and traded picks for Payton.   

So a boat load for a declining QB.

And a boat load for your 2nd choice at HC.  

Now thats value.

Take it from a long suffering Los Angeles Angels fan: Russell Wilson is Albert Pujols. 

Wow. He must see something the entire NFL is missing about Russ. D Ryans turned the job down for the Texans for chist sake. 

a few quick points here

1. Hackett may or may not help the Jets offense but if he does, I don't think it will say anything about Denver. Some guys are cut out to be coordinators and simply not HCs. Dan Quinn, Todd Bowles, Josh McDaniels, Dom Capers, etc etc.

2. Not saying he will with Russ, but Payton seemed to scheme/squeeze a lot out of Drew Brees and the New Orleans offense, once he was past his prime.

3. Ryans did the smart thing. Played for Houston and there will be lower expectations / longer leash there... imo. 

Even Jerry wasn't dumb enuff to give all that up................which is why SP was never coming here anyway (least until 2024). 

48 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

a few quick points here

1. Hackett may or may not help the Jets offense but if he does, I don't think it will say anything about Denver. Some guys are cut out to be coordinators and simply not HCs. Dan Quinn, Todd Bowles, Josh McDaniels, Dom Capers, etc etc.

2. Not saying he will with Russ, but Payton seemed to scheme/squeeze a lot out of Drew Brees and the New Orleans offense, once he was past his prime.

3. Ryans did the smart thing. Played for Houston and there will be lower expectations / longer leash there... imo. 

Denver has to be the worst coaching spot in the league unless Russ isn't really as bad as he looked last year. A team with no draft picks and a garbage salary cap anchor at QB for the next couple years is a bad situation.

Maybe Payton thinks he can improve the offense slightly and that will be enough with a good D. But with no draft picks, the long term outlook is rough.

6 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Maybe Payton thinks he can improve the offense slightly and that will be enough with a good D. But with no draft picks, the long term outlook is rough.

I agree with this ... He 'thinks' he can but I can't help but think how much better Seattle looked without Russ and that he may be one of those 'I call my own plays' players.  Wilson is always that QB that everyone thought escaped every play but youth is for the young.  It may be Javonte or bust ...

41 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Denver has to be the worst coaching spot in the league unless Russ isn't really as bad as he looked last year. A team with no draft picks and a garbage salary cap anchor at QB for the next couple years is a bad situation.

I’m no Denver fan, but a few things to remember - Denver lost Javonte Williams early last year which certainly didn’t help the offense.  

- Denver can cut Ronald Darby, Chase Edmonds and an offensive lineman whose name is escaping me at the moment and save 26-27 million in cap space. 

- Always the potential to restructure with Russ. 

- while I agree, not having all those picks sucks, the Saints were able to draft some pretty good players later in drafts during the Sean Payton era (how much of that was Payton, idk)… Colston, Carl Nicks, Jahri Evans, Jimmy Graham,   Alvin Kamara, Terron Armstead, cj gardner Johnson, Thomas Morestead… all round 3 picks or later. They also drafted Akiem Hicks though he is more known as a Bear and the oft injured but talented Kenny Stills.