Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Taylor Swift

I'm really looking for your individual view points on this/her:

I mean on the one hand, if you discount, you know, the handful of very Poppy bubble gum crap, she has just a prolific library of songs apparently written largely by herself. I mean albums and albums.

Now I find most of them ineffectual. Maybe that's not the right word. But they sure don't connect on any level for me. But then again I'm pretty sure she's writing for 15 year old girls. Fine. I get that. I think.

However, tiffany, Christina aguilera, Cindy Lauper, Avril Lavigne, - it's not exactly a new market strategy.

Except, damn, she is a f****** FORCE. I mean Beatles level. I think she owns or owned literally the top 10 songs in the top 10 ratings or whatever. I don't know how that works these days when people download s*** versus buying records.

I mean, she basically broke my old employer, live nation. That's a plus in my book. A minus? She popularized high-waisted shorts on women. That's gross. It looks like Grandma panties. But I digress.

At this point, she may actually have eclipsed Diane warren. And if you don't know her? She basically wrote every song that was ever played on the radio back in the day. Except she didn't sing them. Nor did she play any instruments. Much less, sell out the whole f****** globe in about 10 minutes.

I guess if you want to be macho and roll your eyes or disparage her, that's your call. But this isn't about liking her music or not. It's recognizing what a f****** force she is right now.  I mean, good god, the number of songs that she's put out that apparently she's penned herself?  I would have to bet that the most prolific artist right now is Keith Urban. But I think that she has got to be right up there in far less time.

I don't get it. And the whole thing about skewering your ex-boyfriends through your songs? Jesus, passive aggressive much?  But then again, Carly Simon his name is for that.

Anyway. I've tried to listen to her objectively. I mean she sure doesn't have a voice like say Kelly clarkson or Carrie Underwear.  And I don't really know how much she writes the music. But as a lyricist and apparently as a performer? She owns it right now. 

You got to give her props for that.

Even if I don't totally understand it.

Who is she?

There never seems to be a picture that shows off her rack. I have no idea whats going on there. 

Wood

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

There never seems to be a picture that shows off her rack. I have no idea whats going on there. 

I think she bought herself a new set of Juggs. There's a lot of pictures showing before & afters. 

7 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Very talented, great legs. 

Hey, thanks man. What are your thoughts on taylor?

• Haha 1

Honestly man, and I'm working through this on my own, for whatever reason. But there just seems to be no " there there." For a girl who swears that she's pouring out her heart at every song she writes, every interview, every interaction, every song, you know, if somebody told me she was AI created and didn't actually exist? I probably tend to believe that.

I looked it up. She's like 33 years old. You could have told me she was 23 years old or 17 and I would have believed that too.

I guess maybe when I'm looking for? She got no substance. She has anecdotes and snark and wordplay, and she's still clearly traumatized by being the poor little princess in high school, but I'm not sure she's had a real  meaningful emotion in her entire f****** life.

And anybody who spends virtually every song using backhanded language against what she views as anyone and everyone who's ever wronged her in her short life?  FFS. 

And just for context? If she were Avril lavigne? I wouldn't give a s***.   But She is upending the entire music industry. In ways that I can't even understand sometimes. 

She's got to have some smart people around her behind the scenes.

17 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

You can not deny her talent. Everything she releases turns to gold. If she was a stock, I’d still be buying. 

She has tons of idiot loyal fans that will buy anything she puts out right away.  She could write a song about Herpes and taking a dump and it would go gold.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

She has tons of idiot loyal fans that will buy anything she puts out right away.  She could write a song about Herpes and taking a dump and it would go gold.

Shake it off?

I posted earlier who is she, I’ll ask once again, who is she? 

Just now, weepaws said:

I posted earlier who is she, I’ll ask once again, who is she? 

Look on the Google! 

She's a singer who is very talented with great legs. 

6 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Shake it off?

I don't listen to her music at all and don't like even a song by her. She may be talented but not the reason her songs go gold. Her fans just eat up anything she sales.

4 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Look on the Google! 

She's a singer who is very talented with great legs. 

What does she sing?m

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

What does she sing?m

Songs 

• Haha 1

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Songs 

Name them puzzy arse? 

4 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Name them puzzy arse? 

Well, there’s “Jesus is my prom date” and “Mary had a little savior” and “The devil is in the e-mails”. 

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Name them puzzy arse? 

This is the kind of s*** that pisses me off. Don't be a . Then getting something called Google I think it was just last week. Try it out okay? If you're really that f****** ignorant.  

But I think you're just a . And likely either lying or purposefully ignorant. 

So shut the f****** up. 

8 minutes ago, League Champion said:

She was a nice cute Country singer who sold her soul to the liberal Woke culture. 

Seems like guys like you and Crapsman and so many others can't participate in a thread without bringing in politics or the culture wars.

Hope you understand that you become tiresome in doing so. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Seems like guys like you and Crapsman and so many others can't participate in a thread without bringing in politics or the culture wars.

Hope you understand that you become tiresome in doing so. 

I think it's worth noting that she abandoned her Country roots and fans in search of pop fame. 

Is that not true? 

13 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

You're actually serious with this thread? I thought for sure it was a goof. 

I'm a married straight Man. Why the hell would I give a rats ass about Taylor Swift? 

11 minutes ago, League Champion said:

I think it's worth noting that she abandoned her Country roots and fans in search of pop fame. 

Is that not true? 

Actually no. I don't think that's true at all. Her country roots? What the f*** is that?  You think she should be harvesting cotton? Digging up taters? Marrying her cousins?

I guess I'm not disagreeing, as much as I'm saying that she has arisen to a level that nobody else who ever went through that route ever achieved.

What I think though, is much more contrived. There's two avenues into the music industry that are incredibly easy compared to others. How many cheesy awful artists have made it mainstream by starting out in Christian music? I'll give you a hint;

Katy perry. Famous for I kissed A girl. But before that? Christian all the way. What a duplicitous hypocritical c***. And by the way? She has no talent.

Country music? Jesus. The list of women who came in to country music and went to pop is insane. Let's go with Leann rimes. Let's go with me and ronstadt. And even if you vehemently disagree with both of them? There's 90 others that can be listed

34 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Name them puzzy arse? 

We all get it, man.  All of these trivialities of pop culture are beneath you or whatever, but you could easily just google this and not make everyone stop and try to bring you up to speed because you want to make a big show out of not knowing who one of the most popular singers in the world is. 

You'll get better information from google anyway.  Yeah, we all don't live under a rock and know who she is.  We're all still grown ass men that don't know the details of her career off the top of our heads either.

19 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Actually no. I don't think that's true at all. Her country roots? What the f*** is that?  You think she should be harvesting cotton? Digging up taters? Marrying her cousins?

I guess I'm not disagreeing, as much as I'm saying that she has arisen to a level that nobody else who ever went through that route ever achieved.

What I think though, is much more contrived. There's two avenues into the music industry that are incredibly easy compared to others. How many cheesy awful artists have made it mainstream by starting out in Christian music? I'll give you a hint;

Katy perry. Famous for I kissed A girl. But before that? Christian all the way. What a duplicitous hypocritical c***. And by the way? She has no talent.

Country music? Jesus. The list of women who came in to country music and went to pop is insane. Let's go with Leann rimes. Let's go with me and ronstadt. And even if you vehemently disagree with both of them? There's 90 others that can be listed

Sorry Braj, this is the Gayest discussion ever. 

My daughters were born in 2000 and 2002, respectively. They and their friends listen to all of the pop stars of today’s era, from Ariana Grande to Harry Styles and I’m exposed to all of it. 

Of all the folks they listen to, Taylor is the only one that I especially enjoy. Folklore in particular is a terrific album. Several of her songs are actually on my playlists (which are largely classic rock as befits my age.) She’s really quite good. 

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

This is the kind of s*** that pisses me off. Don't be a . Then getting something called Google I think it was just last week. Try it out okay? If you're really that f****** ignorant.  

But I think you're just a . And likely either lying or purposefully ignorant. 

So shut the f****** up. 

Oh no it pisses you off, oh boy.  I better watch it going forward.  Watch your mouth  

59 minutes ago, nobody said:

We all get it, man.  All of these trivialities of pop culture are beneath you or whatever, but you could easily just google this and not make everyone stop and try to bring you up to speed because you want to make a big show out of not knowing who one of the most popular singers in the world is. 

You'll get better information from google anyway.  Yeah, we all don't live under a rock and know who she is.  We're all still grown ass men that don't know the details of her career off the top of our heads either.

I’m striking up a conversation on a board , I’m asking a question to get an answer in reply. 

Thats what I think conversation boards are all about.  You stick to google I’ll stick building relationships with people. 

You don’t like people much do you? 

If you're looking for substance it isn't there because you aren't the target audience. She's a pop star. There is never substance in pop. But you have to give her credit, she's made a ton of money and has actual talent. I will also add that she did a folk album in the past few years, with some help from other artists, and I thought it was quite good.

3 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I’m striking up a conversation on a board , I’m asking a question to get an answer in reply. 

Thats what I think conversation boards are all about.  You stick to google I’ll stick building relationships with people. 

You don’t like people much do you? 

She's definitely hot. She kinda has a mouse face but she has legs for days. She's also Uber talented and a fantastic song writer, but back to those legs. 

1 minute ago, League Champion said:

She's definitely hot. She kinda has a mouse face but she has legs for days. She's also Uber talented and a fantastic song writer, but back to those legs. 

Thanks. I guess the legs are nice lol.  

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

You don’t like people much do you

Read the room.  Educate yourself and bring something to the table.

This is how you form relationships? You walk into conversation and say, "Hey, everyone, stop conversing and educate me on the subject you're talking about."

I put her up there with Madonna, Lada Gaga and perhaps Miley Cyrus. She is a force, a gifted musician but a hard-ass businesswoman with crazy sauce we can't even imagine. Her lyrics and her music have matured exponentially, and she's an insanely talented entertainer. I don't necessarily love all her stuff, but I certainly respect it, and I most certainly will pay attention to it.

In terms of her showing genuine emotion,  her live performances of All Too Well is where that seems to happen. It seems like her time with Jake Gyllenhaal left an actual scar. She was 20 and fully bought into the relationship. He was 29.

Towards the last third of the song as she sings it, it's clear. She looks angry and hurt.

You who charmed my dad with self-effacing jokes
Sippin' coffee like you're on a late-night show
But then he watched me watch the front door all night
Willin' you to come
And he said: It's supposed to be fun
Turning 21 (*this part is from the 10 minute version)

Time won't fly, it's like I'm paralyzed by it
I'd like to be my old self again
But I'm still tryin' to find it
After plaid shirt days and nights when you made me your own
Now you mail back my things and I walk home alone

3 hours ago, nobody said:

Read the room.  Educate yourself and bring something to the table.

This is how you form relationships? You walk into conversation and say, "Hey, everyone, stop conversing and educate me on the subject you're talking about."

Sounds like that’s bothering you, go to bed and it won’t be a problem.  Let’s let others make their own decisions if they want to chat or not, stop making yourself the judge.  Also I was the first one to post, so it looks you’re the party crasher.  

Thanks.  

4 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Sounds like that’s bothering you, go to bed and it won’t be a problem.  Let’s let others make their own decisions if they want to chat or not, stop making yourself the judge.  Also I was the first one to post, so it looks you’re the party crasher.  

Thanks.  

No. I was.