wiffleball

Breakfast / Chain Diner places

2 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

First watch is good..have several near me...near pittsburgh and Akron.  Too yuppy for me.. I dont need whole grain pancakes and soy bacon...they have some wierd stuff.  I loved that Bacon with the maple syrup/spicy pepper glaze.  That was Brilliant.

There is a place in Akron that has unlimited Mimosas...jesus..mybwifr loves that place.

Outside of Magnolia Cafe in Austin, my favorite place is Breadwinner's in Dallas. I had breakfast enchiladas last time I was there, and they were off the chain. Good bloody mary's as well. 

7 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

Who amoungst us has not debased themselves with Moons over My Hammy, or a Rooty, tooty, fresh and fruity?

Moons Over My Hammy.  Delicious. 
As said, though, very easy to make at home.

1 hour ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Outside of Magnolia Cafe in Austin, my favorite place is Breadwinner's in Dallas. I had breakfast enchiladas last time I was there, and they were off the chain. Good bloody mary's as well. 

Delucas in Pittsburgh has a seafood omlette with lobster and crab...shrimp..scallops lol...Hollandaise sauce...its a heart attack on a plate.

1 hour ago, Jeff Probst said:

I don't go to chain restaurants 

And they don't do you ever since they implemented height requirements like they do with mildly thrilling amusement-park rides.

Just now, Pimpadeaux said:

And they don't do you ever since they implemented height requirements like they do with mildly thrilling amusement-park rides.

Restaurants don't have height requirements, rusty.

One of my first corporate gigs was to work for a company that owned a couple different restaurant chains. One of those chains was village inn. And our headquarters literally had a village inn attached to it.

Free meal any day everyday.

I don't know if they still have it, but they had a breakfast skillet with really solid breakfast potatoes, White gravy, sausage, fried Chicken chunks, a little onion, eggs of course, and toast or whatever.

Yeah, it's no wonder I'm on 43 different heart medicines.  

14 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s stupid to pay for breakfast.  Easiest meal there is to prepare and it Tastes the same at home.  Sometimes better. 

I have a different and potentially weird thought on this. Breakfast is my favorite meal / food. French Toast, eggs, bacon, grits, sausage, home fries, etc etc etc. Once I introduce bacon, sausage, (even spam... I love to punish my body with sodium), home fries it just gets too greasy. Even with great ventilation I end up feeling greasy, can smell it on me and in the air. So at that point i'd rather hit a great diner... especially living in NNJ.  Bacon also comes out best in the oven on a rack but its more time consuming.  A diner breakfast is also pretty cheap compared to going our for lunch/dinner.

I don't disagree with you, I just have this weird thing about cooking greasy breakfast food at home. 

I didn't even know cracker barrel was a breakfast/diner. Feel like I went to one in a mall in college for lunch and it didn't have any type of diner vibe.

For a chain place i'll say Ihop but as a New Jerseyan it just feels wrong to not go to a local diner.

Another WH guy here, love it. 

I especially enjoy sitting at the counter, on a busy weekend morning. Watching the cooks knock it out, with 20 things going, it's quite the show. Those cooks don't get the credit they deserve for pulling all that off in the way they do it. 

Just now, Cruzer said:

Another WH guy here, love it. 

I especially enjoy sitting at the counter, on a busy weekend morning. Watching the cooks knock it out, with 20 things going, it's quite the show. Those cooks don't get the credit they deserve for pulling all that off in the way they do it. 

Short-order cooks are heroes.

I haven't been to a WH in ages. I live in the largest Texor city without WF, I believe.

Just now, Pimpadeaux said:

I haven't been to a WH in ages. I live in the largest Texor city without WF, I believe.

No WF there? Wow. You can throw a rock in any direction here and basically hit one. 

3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

No WF there? Wow. You can throw a rock in any direction here and basically hit one. 

Yeah, I think it would be an out-of-the-park franchise opportunity here, but you gotta have $200K-$300K to cover the franchise fee plus a lot more than that to cover capital, like $600K to $1 million.

I think it's a sure bet.

The closest Waffle House is 40 miles from here. 

23 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I didn't even know cracker barrel was a breakfast/diner. Feel like I went to one in a mall in college for lunch and it didn't have any type of diner vibe.

For a chain place i'll say Ihop but as a New Jerseyan it just feels wrong to not go to a local diner.

I'm not aware of any Cracker Barrells in a mall, but could be wrong...

4 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Ain't any Cracker Barrels in the mall, me thinks.

6 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

that would be because I was confusing it with cheesecake factory and there is a cracker barrel not far away in the same town

10 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

that would be because I was confusing it with cheesecake factory and there is a cracker barrel not far away in the same town

Cheesecake Factory is awesome.

1 hour ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Are you sure about that? My dossier on you says different. Best double check for accuracy. 

33 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Cheesecake Factory is awesome.

Your second wife wasn’t so fond of it. 

Shoe store. I remember leaving a very long fantasy football draft with Bert and a few others.

We're freaking starving. So we go to Denny's.

Edited for time:

Couple guys order. Then another guy orders steak and eggs. Waitress doesn't bat an eye. So I ordered the steak omelette. "Uh... We're out of that..."

Jesus, we just busted out laughing.

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

I have a different and potentially weird thought on this. Breakfast is my favorite meal / food. French Toast, eggs, bacon, grits, sausage, home fries, etc etc etc. Once I introduce bacon, sausage, (even spam... I love to punish my body with sodium), home fries it just gets too greasy. Even with great ventilation I end up feeling greasy, can smell it on me and in the air. So at that point i'd rather hit a great diner... especially living in NNJ.  Bacon also comes out best in the oven on a rack but its more time consuming. A diner breakfast is also pretty cheap compared to going our for lunch/dinner.

I don't disagree with you, I just have this weird thing about cooking greasy breakfast food at home. 

This.

that is how I prepared bacon when cooking professionally.

8 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I have a different and potentially weird thought on this. Breakfast is my favorite meal / food. French Toast, eggs, bacon, grits, sausage, home fries, etc etc etc. Once I introduce bacon, sausage, (even spam... I love to punish my body with sodium), home fries it just gets too greasy. Even with great ventilation I end up feeling greasy, can smell it on me and in the air. So at that point i'd rather hit a great diner... especially living in NNJ.  Bacon also comes out best in the oven on a rack but its more time consuming.  A diner breakfast is also pretty cheap compared to going our for lunch/dinner.

No mention of Taylor ham?  Fraud.

8 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I've been to a cracker barrel once, in Virginia.  I didn't think we had them in NJ but I just looked it up and there is one 13 miles away from me.

Like someone else said, local places are all we do for breakfast, and thats like once a month if that.  Not big breakfast eaters

13 minutes ago, League Champion said:

You mean pork roll. You're from NJ not Minnesota. It's pork roll, shame on you. 😊

Personally I use pork roll but if he's from NNJ, then he doesn't know what pork roll is.

2 hours ago, Jeff Probst said:

Personally I use pork roll but if he's from NNJ, then he doesn't know what pork roll is.

It's cuz he's eating scrapple.

2 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

It's cuz he's eating scrapple.

No scrapple is south jersey, DE, PA.  Also scrapple is not good, and I've had it prepared the right way, several times.  One place came close where it was edible, a mom and pop diner in Luzerne county PA, fried, but still can't hold a candle to Pork Roll.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Probst said:

No scrapple is south jersey, DE, PA.  Also scrapple is not good, and I've had it prepared the right way, several times.  One place came close where it was edible, a mom and pop diner in Luzerne county PA, fried, but still can't hold a candle to Pork Roll.

Is that where you met your current boyfriend? And why you call him "Scrapples"?

3 hours ago, League Champion said:

Soft or crunchy bacon??? 

Crispy, not greasy 

It's funny that gutter thinks he is some sort of diner snob but also thinks pork roll is good.  Or even food.  It's basically spam.  But, these are the same kinds of people who think there is something magical about boring NY pizza so, I expect no better.

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

It's funny that gutter thinks he is some sort of diner snob but also thinks pork roll is good.  Or even food.  It's basically spam.  But, these are the same kinds of people who think there is something magical about boring NY pizza so, I expect no better.

I do not think I'm a diner snob, in fact I don't even know what that means since food snobs don't visit diners.  But I will tell you that a local diner > chain restaurant, pork roll > scrapple, and NY pizza > any other pizza, and if you disagree then you're wrong.

Menu – Coffee Cup (coffeecupstpaul.com)

Back in the day they served a gyro three egg omelette (Gyro meat, onions, tzatzikis sauce), bottomless hashbrowns and bottomless coffee Saturday mornings from 6 to 7:30 for $1.99.  A pretty righteous sober up breakfast.  Good to see they are still in business even though the menu has evolved a bit since the old days.  That meal, a pot and a half or two of strong black coffee and a few cigarettes at the table would have you doing a colon purge in their restroom, and you were good to start drinking again immediately.

Actually, looking at the menu they still serve a greek omelette.  Don't know their current policy on bottomless cioffe and hash browns.  Next time I'm in the twin cities i may have to swing by for old time sakes.

13 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Crispy, not greasy 

I don't like it too crunchy, overcooked. I like a little bit of chewy in my bacon. I need the full flavor. 

10 minutes ago, League Champion said:

I don't like it too crunchy, overcooked. I like a little bit of chewy in my bacon. I need the full flavor. 

You wouldn’t have to cook it as long.  

40 minutes ago, League Champion said:

You haven't lived till you had a Scrapple Parm. 

I'd rather have a cilantro enema.

4 hours ago, Jeff Probst said:

No mention of Taylor ham?  Fraud.

On a breakfast sandwich yes. I don’t usually just make Taylor ham.