Sign in to follow this  
craftsman

New York school, food vendor apologize for serving chicken and waffles on first day of Black History Month

"Culturally inappropriate".  

OMG!!! Not chicken and waffles!!!! No one would ever eat that!!!  :shocking:

What is this American culture they are offending? Out of respect to black people we don't eat fried chicken for a month? 

What the hell is that all about? :wacko:

They should serve them white rice and fried tofu everyday for the month. 

The food vendor has agreed to take part in racial sensitivity training

A New York middle school is apologizing after serving students with a meal on the first day of Black History Month that was deemed to be culturally insensitive.

Administrators at Nyack Middle School say that the hot lunch menu was changed by the vendor without their knowledge on February 1st, the first day of Black History Month, to include chicken and waffles with a watermelon dessert which the school’s principal called an "unfortunate situation", The Journal News reported.

"We are extremely disappointed by this regrettable situation and apologize to the entire Nyack community for the cultural insensitivity displayed by our food service provider," Nyack Middle School Principal David Johnson said in a statement. 

"I am disappointed that Aramark would serve items that differed from the published monthly menu. Especially items that reinforce negative stereotypes concerning the African-American Community."

Multiple families expressed outrage over the menu selection including parent Lindsay Siegel who told the outlet that it was "really disappointing" the change wasn't caught.

Aramark, the school district’s food vendor, issued a statement on the matter on Thursday.

"While our menu was not intended as a cultural meal, we acknowledge that the timing was inappropriate, and our team should have been more thoughtful in its service," the Aramark statement said. "This was a mistake and does not represent the values of our company, and we are committed to doing better in the future."

Aramark also said that it will be partnering with the school to provide sensitivity training for employees who work at the school to make sure their actions align with the district’s "vision and commitment to equity-driven work."

"We believe this will provide a good learning opportunity to deepen understanding on the impact of systemic biases and negative stereotypes concerning the African-American Community," the statement said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-school-food-vendor-apologize-serving-chicken-waffles-first-day-black-history-month

23 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

So...black history..doesnt like black culture?...

I guess they are offended if you offer up something that they like? Whenever I go to Popeye's Chicken I not only see mostly black people working there, I see mostly black customers eating there. WTF doesn't like fried chicken?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

So...black history..doesnt like black culture?...

Liberals hate themselves, why can't AA's  :dunno:

Why do they need to apologize? I live in the South where black people love waffles and chicken, so does everyone else. Why is that offensive at all. Should they serve something that they hate? 

Just wait until this vendor trots out watermelon and grape soda for tomorrow's meal.  :shocking:

Just now, DonS said:

Is there a stereotypical white ppl food? 

Probably, but do you think they will cry if you serve it?

Seems like a righteous meal.  Tomorrows meal of chitlins, collard greens, red beans and rice and dessert of sweet potato pie also looks like it will go down good.  I'm holding out for ribs, mustard and dandelion greens and my choice of peach cobbler, banana pudding, or rhubard and stawberry pie.  Obviously I will go for the pie, then the cobbler, then the pudding.

21 minutes ago, DonS said:

Mayo

29 minutes ago, DonS said:

Used to be eggs till Biden 

For once, I gotta agree with Craftsman. 

I’ve been in commercial real estate for over 30 years. There is a reason why predominantly black areas, (like Compton or South Central Los Angeles in my neck of the woods), have more fried chicken restaurants per square inch than any other area. It’s not because of racism. It’s because they make money. Lots of money. Black people, in general love fried chicken and fried fish. 

They’re also very conscious of price points, more than other demographics. A white person tends to be more willing to pay 50 cents more for a food item if the perception is that it’s higher quality. As a general rule, black people will not do this. They hold their pocketbooks tight. That’s why the more “upscale” fast food joints don’t perform as well in black areas. Again these are general rules, not something that takes place every time. 

This whole story is silly. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

For once, I gotta agree with Craftsman. 

I’ve been in commercial real estate for over 30 years. There is a reason why predominantly black areas, (like Compton or South Central Los Angeles in my neck of the woods), have more fried chicken restaurants per square inch than any other area. It’s not because of racism. It’s because they make money. Lots of money. Black people, in general love fried chicken and fried fish. 
They’re also very conscious of price points, more than other demographics. A white person tends to be more willing to pay 50 cents more for a food item if the perception is that it’s higher quality. As a general rule, black people will not do this. They hold their pocketbooks tight. That’s why the more “upscale” fast food joints don’t perform as well in black areas. Again these are general rules, not something that takes place every time. 

This whole story is silly. 

Help me out, what is the differentiation between general rules, noted preferences, and racist tropes?  BTW, I do believe there are cultural food prefernces, and that culture correlates to race in many instances.  Also, when Popeyes runs their $5.99 special for 5 pieces I am all over that.  Otherwise the price of their combo meals surproises me, a bit.

• Like 2

I do agree the story is a bit much, but they’re not being criticized simply for serving fried chicken.  It’s just because they changed the previously announced menu to fried chicken

Fried chicken and waffles is black people food? None of you obviously live in the south. It's southern food. Ffs.

8 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Help me out, what is the differentiation between general rules, noted preferences, and racist tropes?  BTW, I do believe there are cultural food prefernces, and that culture correlates to race in many instances.  Also, when Popeyes runs their $5.99 special for 5 pieces I am all over that.  Otherwise the price of their combo meals surproises me, a bit.

It’s a good question. It really depends, IMO, on the way it’s being used. If you make a serious observation that black people in general enjoy fried chicken, that’s not racist. If you’re talking to or about some black guy in particular and say something like “wouldn’t you prefer fried chicken?”, that will probably be seen as an offensive and racist comment. 

That being said, I believe that food preferences are, at worst, a very minor form of racism. Calling blacks shiftless and lazy or violent, calling undocumented immigrants murderers and rapists, these are far worse forms of bigotry. 

2 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I do spicy with a side of red beans and rice.  I toss the bisquit because the meal already has more fat and carbs than i should eat.

Popeyes biscuits are easy to toss because they suck. Church’s on the other hand has a really tasty biscuit and that’s a lot tougher to throw away. 

1 hour ago, Engorgeous George said:

Seems like a righteous meal.  Tomorrows meal of chitlins, collard greens, red beans and rice and dessert of sweet potato pie also looks like it will go down good.  I'm holding out for ribs, mustard and dandelion greens and my choice of peach cobbler, banana pudding, or rhubard and stawberry pie.  Obviously I will go for the pie, then the cobbler, then the pudding.

Where the fock is the watermelon? Racist showing his true colors again. 

31 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Popeyes biscuits are easy to toss because they suck. Church’s on the other hand has a really tasty biscuit and that’s a lot tougher to throw away. 

Bojangles biscuits are the bomb. 

46 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Fried chicken and waffles is black people food? None of you obviously live in the south. It's southern food. Ffs.

They eat a lot of breads and pastries. Filling foods that are cheap to make. Fried catfish with hot sauce. Fried okra.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Bojangles biscuits are the bomb. 

Is that a restaurant or a brand you can buy?

Oh, I just looked it up. Restaurant. North Carolina and such.

Just now, avoiding injuries said:

You live in a nice area if you’ve never seen a Bojangjes. 

They have expanded. None near me, but I was stationed in NC. Best drunk food ever. 

39 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

My local Church’s is good for at least one EMS response per month for people falling on the greasy floor.  

I’m surprised Lee’s hasn’t expanded more in the south. They’ve got good chicken and their wedges are the bomb.  They have locations in Canada but not NC or GA and only a few scattered around in the south.

Context is everything. This was not on the menu at a local restaurant or diner, as no one would have complained about that. This was served to kids at a middle school, which IMO was really tone deaf on the first day celebrating Black History Month.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It's so embarrassing when these companies actually apologize instead of simply pulling their business. Fock those liberal run student failure institutions. 

4 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

I think that’s part of the point. That calling it racist is silly. It’s not black specific and even if it were, it’s simply a preferred cultural food. 

5 hours ago, DonS said:

Hamburgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, steak and potatoes, biscuits and gravy

There's a lot more...

57 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Hamburgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, steak and potatoes, biscuits and gravy

There's a lot more...

Lobster roll. Only the whitest of white people can come up with Mayo on lobster. That’s a sure sign you have too much lobster on hand. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Bojangles biscuits and gravy are pretty good but that's a Southern thing 

20 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Wonder bread, mayonnaise…

Omelettes, waffles, pancakes, Jimmy focking Dean sausage...

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Lobster roll. Only the whitest of white people can come up with Mayo on lobster. That’s a sure sign you have too much lobster on hand. 

Not a fan of the bottom feeders.