Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** Update - Ravens place non-exclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson

Still thinks he ends up staying in Baltimore but Deshaun Watson's deal with Cleveland last season is likely causing this negotiation to be drawn out. 

I don't think he's all that good. Yeah, he can run like a deer but he still can't read a defense, get it done from the pocket or stay healthy. 

He's won squat and has done nothing to deserve a block buster deal. 

Balt see the mistakes that ARI, DEN and CLE made, destroying any chance of competing for a SB. They are doing all they can to not make the same mistake. Once you pay a guy that kind of $ he needs to be able to throw a football accurately. 

I think every team is blind.  

4 hours ago, lod001 said:

Balt see the mistakes that ARI, DEN and CLE made, destroying any chance of competing for a SB. They are doing all they can to not make the same mistake. Once you pay a guy that kind of $ he needs to be able to throw a football accurately. 

true.  

and given Jacksons age,  I figure hes good for 2-3 years.   4 tops.

hes still a running QB and once that all star athleticism starts to fade so will his running ability.  I predict lots of injuries starting around the age 28 or 29.

Cam Newton is the best comparable and I'd argue he threw the ball just as well (possibly a bit better in his prime) as Jackson.

and Newton played beyond 30 but in reality he was done sooner.

so why sign a big money contract for 7 years?  it makes absolutely no sense.    If I was the GM I'd be inclined to franchise him or trade him if someone sent me a great offer but I would not under any circumstances sign him to a 7 year deal fully guaranteed.

• Thanks 1

Lol I don’t think teams learn quickly. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Lol I don’t think teams learn quickly. 

maybe not.  but Baltimore as an organization is pretty good.  

I dont think its by accident that they are dragging this out.   if they wanted to give him the money, hed have it already.

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

Lamar is soo dumb that he'll probably sign anything. The Raven are going to own him. 

word is he wants a long term, fully guaranteed contract in the range of what the top boys have received.

not sure that is realistic, but I guess you can ask for whatever you want.   Theres just no guarantee you'll get it.

but there is a saying, if you dont ask, you dont get.    and hes asking.

Seems like the Ravens will need to make a lot of changes if Jackson isn’t their Qb next season.  

They have transformed their offense to fit his playing style.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Seems like the Ravens will need to make a lot of changes if Jackson isn’t their Qb next season.  

They have transformed their offense to fit his playing style.  

they dont need to sign him.   they likely just use the franchise tag.  

That will buy them at least one year. (possibly 2 if they use it a second time)

then again, someone may send them a whole lot of assets for Jackson.  If they do, Baltimore should accept.

its a good year to grab a free agent QB if you want one.

I would take a lot of assets for Jackson.  

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

I would take a lot of assets for Jackson.  

as you should (if someone offered you that)

I could see someone making a sweetheart offer to Baltimore.   

32 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

as you should (if someone offered you that)

I could see someone making a sweetheart offer to Baltimore.   

I don’t know about that, first they would need to adjust to Jackson’s style of play, second what team would have enough talent to give the Ravens that sweetheart deal? I think he might just end up staying.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

I don’t know about that, first they would need to adjust to Jackson’s style of play, second what team would have enough talent to give the Ravens that sweetheart deal? I think he might just end up staying.  

you give up WR.  Jackson doesnt use them anyways haha

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

you give up WR.  Jackson doesnt use them anyways haha

Right.  

I wouldn't invest a dime in Lamar. People get caught up in the scrambling. He can't throw from the pocket, make a secondary read, read a defense, etc. If I'm the Ravens I'm unloading him now. 

10 hours ago, League Champion said:

I wouldn't invest a dime in Lamar. People get caught up in the scrambling. He can't throw from the pocket, make a secondary read, read a defense, etc. If I'm the Ravens I'm unloading him now. 

it sounds like they are entertaining at least one trade offer.  not sure how serious it is.   it could also just be a rumour. but a number of websites have articles suggesting something to this effect.

I think in the end they will always have the option to use the franchise tag.

52 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

it sounds like they are entertaining at least one trade offer.

If they're going to hire Air Raid king Kliff Kingsbury as their offensive coordinator, they better be swapping QBs with someone.  lol

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

If they're going to hire Air Raid king Kliff Kingsbury as their offensive coordinator, they better be swapping QBs with someone.  lol

21 hours ago, AxeElf said:

thus, the trade rumours.

This could get interesting if some sad sack franchise like  Houston decides to give him the franchise to go play there.

Teams could put some kind of poison pill for Baltimore in an offer sheet theoretically at least.

2 minutes ago, nobody said:

Teams could put some kind of poison pill for Baltimore in an offer sheet theoretically at least.

I believe the NFL disallowed that after the Steve Hutchinson thing.

either way, it means they value him at roughly 2 first round picks.

problem with a poison pill is if Baltimore lets him go, the team making the offer has to pay it.

so If he get get a big money contract, Baltimore is clearly willing to let him walk.