Sign in to follow this  
The Real timschochet

Do you guys want real discussion and debate in this forum?

So I’ve been posting regularly in this forum for a couple of months now. The Politics Forum in the FBG was cancelled and I love discussing politics, and I know some of the people here. I knew going in that it’s predominantly conservative around here. I don’t mind that. I also find the lack of rules and moderators refreshing. But on the other hand: 

1. There are a lot of very extreme conservatives here. Not what I would term middle of the road types but people who don’t seem to care about what I regard as fundamental American values. 

2. There’s a lot of folks here who seem to prefer an echo chamber to debate and discussion. They respond to any comment they disagree with with an ugly personal attack or insult. It’s pretty boring. 

3. There’s some ugly racism and bigotry this forum. I’ve called it out in various threads. I seem to be alone in this and I’m often attacked for calling it out. 

Hence my question in the title: do you guys even want discussion and debate? Or am I and other liberals simply an unwelcome presence in this forum? If it’s the latter no problem I can move on. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Socrates is alleged to have said the unexamined life is not worth living, though I would venture to guess he said it, if at all, in greek, not english.  Perhaps you could examine yours.  Maybe there is something about your style and or the frequency of your posting which brings out the worse in people.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

If it’s the latter no problem I can move on. 

Don't let the door hit you in your fat asss.

But you're a pathological liar with no self control, so you'll still be posting tomorrow.

Sadly, you are trying to bring a 19th century outhouse into a 21st century Water Closet.  Just get used to seeing the sh!t of the previous user.  Not jmfho.

10 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I already knew what you thought. I’m trying to determine if your views on this represent the majority. 

On 12/2/2022 at 11:21 AM, Strike said:

There's like 5 of you who argue in almost every thread.  Most of us just want spirited, intelligent debate/discussion. 

On 11/26/2022 at 8:08 PM, Strike said:

The problem with too many people in society nowadays, and particularly on the internet, is the inability to discuss topics rationally and intelligently.  There was a time in society when spirited debate was not only allowed but encouraged.  At dinner parties, men (and maybe sometimes women) would go off to their smoking room and have political discussions all night.  And at the end of the night everyone went home and were still friends, respecting each other's opinions.  But nowadays people can't have a civil discussion around these topics.  And before anyone goes accusing me of acting that way on this forum, I refuse to engage seriously with people who've shown or admitted they're only here to troll.  Those who want to engage intelligently and civilly, and can make a good argument for their POV and provide evidence, I will gladly have a respectful discussion with.  I have no desire to waste my time with the others.

Joe shut down the political forum at FBG's.  He could have just gotten rid of a relatively small number of bad apples like Timscochet and Squisition, who added nothing of value to any of the discussions they participated in, and let those who wanted to engage in civil political discourse do so.  Tim bragged about how many times he had been suspended.  it had to be 20+.  Why did Joe just keep suspending that guy and never actually ban him?  Same with Squisition.  It's funny, I looked up both of their accounts today and neither seems to exist any more.  Did he get rid of them at the same time as that forum?  I don't know but if he had done so before he might not have had to shut down the entire forum. 

Maybe Tim, if you could discuss things rationally, intelligently and respectfully like Strike, people would be more inclined to want to converse with you. These are the traits that this board & Strike really value and it's seen in their thoughtful & respectful responses.  

Also, where is the sarcasm emoji?

• Haha 4

Tim, you do whatever you want, just know that there are some true ass holes here, and if you want to post here, you gotta dismiss them for the people they are.  They don't want honest intelligent debate, they just want to argue and bully people that disagree with them.  There are also some good people here that are sick of their BS just like you.

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

Maybe Tim, if you could discuss things rationally, intelligently and respectfully like Strike, people would be more inclined to want to converse with you. These are the traits that this board & Strike really value and it's seen in their thoughtful & respectful responses.  

You nailed it but I have enough experience with Tim to know it won't happen and he'll just bring this bored down as he did with FBGs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Odd premise considering the OP is garbage and the poster responsible for it is openly racist and exploits illegals for personal gain. 

Sure, let's have some respectful banter moving forward though...

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Tim, you do whatever you want, just know that there are some true ass holes here, and if you want to post here, you gotta dismiss them for the people they are.  They don't want honest intelligent debate, they just want to argue and bully people that disagree with them.  There are also some good people here that are sick of their BS just like you.

Says the guy with the most aliases that he uses every time he gets a time out.

5 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I'm not sure if it's they enjoy bullying, or they enjoy an echo chamber and if they can bully people to leave then they'll get that.

Respond and interact with posters you deem worthwhile. 

Ignore posters who you see as not worthwhile. 

Or leave.

It isn't that difficult if you are over 12 years old.  

• Thanks 1

I don't think the Board patrons are predominately Conservative Republicans; I just think they have more aliases .. and have always had.

• Thanks 1

I'd love to see more actual debate, but it feels like the blueprint for every thread has been played out over the last 5 years.  They seem to all follow the same format.  

Tim, I for one enjoy having you here.  You don't appear to be a complete Leftist, but rather a true Liberal, almost a caricature of one.  I enjoy the discussion/debate because I feel that it makes my positions stronger or, on very rare occasion, might change them a little.  :D 

As for the racists, part of me says either ignore it or leave, and another part of me says that while it may exist, you have a very quick racist accusation trigger finger, and you might find it introspective to ask yourself why that is and why some people may make some comments that they do.  Then again @GutterBoythinks I'm racist because he doesn't understand sarcasm, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.  :dunno: 

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Tim, I for one enjoy having you here.  You don't appear to be a complete Leftist, but rather a true Liberal, almost a caricature of one.  I enjoy the discussion/debate because I feel that it makes my positions stronger or, on very rare occasion, might change them a little.  :D 

As for the racists, part of me says either ignore it or leave, and another part of me says that while it may exist, you have a very quick racist accusation trigger finger, and you might find it introspective to ask yourself why that is and why some people may make some comments that they do.  Then again @GutterBoythinks I'm racist because he doesn't understand sarcasm, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.  :dunno: 

Gutterboy assured me he never called you racist.

Then again @GutterBoythinks I'm racist because he doesn't understand sarcasm, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.  :dunno: 

I don't think you're racist, I never called you racist, and I get sarcasm.

You’re saying that some folks who aren’t really racist make racist comments knowing it will provoke me and others like me. I get that. But I do seem to fall for it often. 

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

You nailed it but I have enough experience with Tim to know it won't happen and he'll just bring this bored down as he did with FBGs.

Exactly. Same as fbg. He has zero self awareness or accountability for his actions. He defends damn near every liberal talking point and then claims to be a moderate or slightly lean left. His ideal "serious discussion or debate" is agree with him, his sources and not yours, or you're ignorant, "just flat out wrong", some kind of racist/bigot/phobe of some sort. Oh! And my absolute favorite is when he thinks he's the end all be all of a topic........"full stop"!! 

Don't those thoughtful nuggets just scream "I want a serious conversation"? To quote Homer J Simpson "it's funny cause it's true". Absolutely hilarious.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Exactly. Same as fbg. He has zero self awareness or accountability for his actions. He defends damn near every liberal talking point and then claims to be a moderate or slightly lean left. His ideal "serious discussion or debate" is agree with him, his sources and not yours, or you're ignorant, "just flat out wrong", some kind of racist/bigot/phobe of some sort. Oh! And my absolute favorite is when he thinks he's the end all be all of a topic........"full stop"!! 

Don't those thoughtful nuggets just scream "I want a serious conversation"? To quote Homer J Simpson "it's funny cause it's true". Absolutely hilarious.

I don’t think I’ve used “full stop” in many months. I wrote “dismissed” the other day; I found that amusing. 

Most of the rest of your post is highly inaccurate. 

There's like 5 posters who make this place nothing but a sissy slap fight in every thread. I don't use the ignore, but I just pass right by those users posts. It's easy to do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

I don’t think I’ve used “full stop” in many months. I wrote “dismissed” the other day; I found that amusing. 

Most of the rest of your post is highly inaccurate. 

Oh no it's not. I was a member over at fbg for years. Mostly lurking. I spent much time reading your stuff. It is highly accurate. 

2 minutes ago, Horseman said:

I think there is enough here already to paint the picture for you.  Bye! 

Good riddance.  

Nah, the negative comments are mostly from people such as yourself who have already expressed your opinion of me in various threads. I’m just trying to determine if it’s a majority view. 

I think you absolutely should stay. Ignore the non serious posters and try to be a better debater yourself. Pretty simple.

Just now, crackattack said:

Oh no it's not. I was a member over at fbg for years. Mostly lurking. I spent much time reading your stuff. It is highly accurate. 

It isn’t. You wrote, for example that I “defend damn near every liberal talking point.” If you actually spent time reading my posts you know how inaccurate that is. Only yesterday for example I ripped liberals in their hypocrisy for pretending that the gun restrictions they’re proposing would have made any difference at Michigan State. 
But I shouldn’t have to constantly provide examples. Do I see the two sides evenly? I do not. IMO, liberalism is far preferable to conservatism. But it’s not always preferable. And if you’ve read me as much as you claim you would know this. 

22 minutes ago, Strike said:

Tim basically got the PSF closed on his own after several warnings.  The problem is Tim is not tolerant of any views other than his own..he says "You are wrong"  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

Nah, the negative comments are mostly from people such as yourself who have already expressed your opinion of me in various threads. I’m just trying to determine if it’s a majority view. 

You should start a poll and live the results, stand by your word. 

But you won't.  You're pathological and just need a LOOK AT ME! thread.  You're an insecure man-toddler that posted a thread under false pretenses, you never planned on leaving. 

Just now, RogerDodger said:

You should start a poll and live the results, stand by your word. 

But you won't.  You're pathological and just need a LOOK AT ME! thread.  You're an insecure man-toddler that posted a thread under false pretenses, you never planned on leaving. 

Why are you still using this alias.  You got your horseman account back and you're using both?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Tim basically got the PSF closed on his own after several warnings.  The problem is Tim is not tolerant of any views other than his own..he says "You are wrong"  

To be fair, that's the same for multiple people here.