Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Ant Man Quantumania

We're the previous ones good?  As I mentioned in another thread I'm a Paul Rudd fan but am not the biggest superhero movie fan.

I like Paul Rudd but have not really cared for the ant man movies. 

32 minutes ago, Strike said:

We're the previous ones good?  As I mentioned in another thread I'm a Paul Rudd fan but am not the biggest superhero movie fan.

For the most part, standard SH fare. Neither stood out to me as a step above the usual fare, like a Thor:Ragnorak, Dr. Strange Multiverse, few of the others.  That being said, Rudd does what he does, elevates the material with his good guy persona.  And Michael Pena steals the his few scenes. I'd recommend based strictly on being a Rudd fan, he's a quirky enough of a superhero to make those two flicks stand on their own. 

• Like 1

If it's like the other movies then I'm sure it's a fun watch but I saw it had pretty terrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes already.

12 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

For the most part, standard SH fare. Neither stood out to me as a step above the usual fare, like a Thor:Ragnorak, Dr. Strange Multiverse, few of the others.  That being said, Rudd does what he does, elevates the material with his good guy persona.  And Michael Pena steals the his few scenes. I'd recommend based strictly on being a Rudd fan, he's a quirky enough of a superhero to make those two flicks stand on their own. 

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

If it's like the other movies then I'm sure it's a fun watch but I saw it had pretty terrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes already.

Yeah, it is getting killed online.

I will watch it and continue to watch everything marvel for the foreseeable future, although I read every marvel comic book over about a 2 decade period. I am honestly surprised that the movies got as big as they were initially. The problem is that as soon as Marvel strays from the formula, ie Eternals or Moon Knight the movie is not as popular, however if you keep following the same few formula's the movies get stale.

They are in a no win situation.

2 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Paul Rudd is one of my favorite comedic actors. But it just doesn’t work in SH. Especially after Deadpool. The humor can never compare 

Ryan Reynolds was Deadpool.  Was there a Deadpool movie with Paul Rudd?

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Ryan Reynolds was Deadpool.  Was there a Deadpool movie with Paul Rudd?

No what I’m saying is that ant man’s attempt to be funny fails in comparison after watching Deadpool 

Just now, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

No what I’m saying is that ant man’s attempt to be funny fails in comparison after watching Deadpool 

Gotchya.  That makes sense because Ryan Reynolds is freaking awesome in those movies.  He's the only reason I even watched them.  I haven't seen any of the other Marvel/DC movies after the original Batman movies were ruined by Clooney and Kilmer.

Paul Rudd and Ryan Reynolds have completely different humor though, Deadpool is just different in terms of a SH movie. It's almost a parody and allows for a bit more adult or smut humor. 

I think that the "usual" Marvel SH movies have pretty much jumped the shark, just my opinion. They did amazing with Infinity War/End Game. Anything after that has been meh. Back story of this or that character, or what was going on during the time warp portions of the other movies. Marvel (again, IMO) was Ironman. It started with him, ended with him. Everything else is now just...fluff. Thor: Love and Thunder was a joke, literally and figuratively. Guardians of the Galaxy 3? Come on. They are really going to have to do some amazing stuff with any movies following End Game, and they just cannot keep re-doing Spiderman. 

6 hours ago, Strike said:

Thanks!

After having a few hours to think about it, I'm going to say you are going to need to be a really big Paul Rudd fan to overlook a lot of the silliness of the 2nd movie.  If you only tolerate superhero movies, than Paul isn't going to elevate it enough for me recommend it.  The first one though, :thumbsup: 

Sorry for the double postings---but I take very seriously my reputation in regards to recommending movies.  Now I'm off to watch the 80's classic Sea of Love. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Now I'm off to watch the 80's classic Sea of Love. 

Dude. At least get it right. The movie was called Splash

• Haha 1

the daughter has turned into a woke terrorist that is in jail.  and the family defends her actions.  terrible.  not recommended.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

the daughter has turned into a woke terrorist that is in jail.  and the family defends her actions.  terrible.  not recommended.

So I'm guessing she voted multiple times for Biden...

100% pass.  Absolutely completely sick of superhero movies.  No interest in seeing any one of them, ever.

Watched the first ant man and was bored by it..didn't finish it.

5 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Sounds like all the posts I’ve seen where parents take a picture of their daughter senior year in high school where she’s normal. Then they follow it up with a picture of them year or 2 years in college. Every picture has the daughters normal in HS and a raging lib in college. I’m talking blue hair, short hair, armpit hair, shaved head, piercing everywhere, tattoos on face, etc 

• Confused 1

ant man is a box office bomb.  In 3rd place behind cocaine bear and creed 3.  Total worldwide is just $421 and its failing to pull even $1 million on the weekdays.  They will probably lose $150 million on this film.  The Marvels (a sequel to Captain Marvel) starring Brie Larson has now been pushed back multiple times and its currently buried in the month of November and reportedly receiving extensive reshoots to remove comedy.  I dont think comedy is the main issue but whatever.

The Marvels has been pushed back for reshoots a whopping FOUR times. It was originally schedule to be a tentpole film around independence day weekend on July 8th, 2022.  Then moved to November 11th 2022, then to February 17th 2023, then to July 28th 2023, and now to November 10th, 2023.

I saw it with my kid. It was dumb but the normies like it. The fact that an Antman movie can make half a billion is a win.

6 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I saw it with my kid. It was dumb but the normies like it. The fact that an Antman movie can make half a billion is a win.

its not because they poured $600 million into it.

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

its not because they poured $600 million into it.

The marketing expense is just an estimate Which I think is far less these days. They don't need to pay for commercials like they used to. People on youtube do it for them.. I believe they made money.

20 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

The marketing expense is just an estimate Which I think is far less these days. They don't need to pay for commercials like they used to. People on youtube do it for them.. I believe they made money.

no they didnt.

6 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

no they didnt.

You don't have access to the balance sheet. 

22 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

You don't have access to the balance sheet. 

pretty much the entire universe of film geeks agree Ant Man will lose money, outside of the shills.

im even being lenient in my projections.  Quantumania is sitting at a horrific 1.76x multiplier.  Its a massive box office bomb.

https://dailycampus.com/2023/02/21/box-office-breakdown-ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-opens-to-a-giant-105-5-million/

“Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” vaulted the box office to its best weekend of the year thus far. With a $105.5 million weekend, “Quantumania” is the best opening for an Ant-Man film, beating its 2015 and 2018 predecessors. It carries an estimated budget of $200 million, meaning the film needs to gross around $727 million worldwide to breakeven. With a worldwide opening of $226.8 million, “Quantumania” will need about a 3.2x multiple to profit. Now this is certainly possible (2015’s “Ant-Man” had a 3.15x domestic multiple; 2018’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp” had a 2.86x domestic multiple) but there is cause for concern. It currently sits at 47% on Rotten Tomatoes, marking it as one of the worst received films from Marvel Studios. Combine that with a mediocre “B” CinemaScore, “Quantumania” will likely not have the legs to earn that multiple. Poor word-of-mouth could end the film’s run much sooner than expected. I can see “Quantumania” taking a large hit next weekend, with a drop above 65% en route to a gross of around $275 million domestically. 

https://dailycampus.com/2023/02/28/box-office-breakdown-ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-shrinks-as-cocaine-bear-claws-to-23-million/

While “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” won the box office again this past weekend, the superhero film still lost big. With a 69.7% drop, “Quantumania” fell significantly in its second weekend. The film grossed $32 million, pushing its domestic sum to $167 million. As we said last week, it will take a 3.15x multiplier (total gross/opening weekend) for the third “Ant-Man” film to break even. With a near 70% second weekend drop, the film has only attained around a 1.57x multiplier thus far. Unless it has some surprise late legs, the film is not likely to profit. We shall see if “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” will bring Marvel Studios a needed win in May. 

https://dailycampus.com/2023/03/07/box-office-breakdown-creed-iii-wins-the-weekend/

Second place is “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” with a gross of $12.5 million. This is a 61% drop for the first MCU Phase 5 film, following last weekend’s 69.7% drop. “Quantumania”’s relatively poor audience reception is absolutely killing its legs. We said a few weeks ago the film would need a 3.15x multiplier to break even; after three weekends it currently sits at 1.76x. There’s question to whether or not “Quantumania” will even clear a 2x multiplier at this point. While it will cross over $200 million domestically in the next week or two, the conclusion of the “Ant-Man” trilogy is certainly a disappointing one from a critical and financial perspective. 

9 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

pretty much the entire universe of film geeks agree Ant Man will lose money, outside of the shills.

I'm no shill, but I question the calculations these news site use to determine if something made money. I don't think the studios spend nearly has much on marketing as they used to. Marketing has changed. Gone are the days of massive spending on commercials and print media. Now fanboys pump the project for the studies on ticktok, youtube and Instagram.

On 2/15/2023 at 1:43 PM, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Why would it be compared though?

two totally different characters that do not call for the same comedic style

36 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Why would it be compared though?

two totally different characters that do not call for the same comedic style

Most jokes go way over Ant-man’s head. 

I thought it was good/fine.  Not enough Bill Murray.  I usually just catch them on Disney when they are released but I was in PA and a friend was taking his daughter so I went with them.  None of the last few I have seen Thor/ Eternmals/ Shang Chi/ Dr. Strange /Spiderman #20 were great but all were ok/good.  I think they peaked at Endgame and will never come close to that again. What I think is hilarious is that people slam the last four they have seen as total garbage then run out to see the new one so they can trash that too.  

2 hours ago, Bill E. said:

I thought it was good/fine.  Not enough Bill Murray.  I usually just catch them on Disney when they are released but I was in PA and a friend was taking his daughter so I went with them.  None of the last few I have seen Thor/ Eternmals/ Shang Chi/ Dr. Strange /Spiderman #20 were great but all were ok/good.  I think they peaked at Endgame and will never come close to that again. What I think is hilarious is that people slam the last four they have seen as total garbage then run out to see the new one so they can trash that too.  

This is true of almost all movies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frank said:

This is true of almost all movies. 

Yea.  I hated it when he quit doing comedies. 

8 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I'm no shill, but I question the calculations these news site use to determine if something made money. I don't think the studios spend nearly has much on marketing as they used to. Marketing has changed. Gone are the days of massive spending on commercials and print media. Now fanboys pump the project for the studies on ticktok, youtube and Instagram.

That MAY be the case but all movies are currently estimated that way.  So if all movies are using the same standard - even if it's wrong - by that standard it is a loser.

3 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

That MAY be the case but all movies are currently estimated that way.  So if all movies are using the same standard - even if it's wrong - by that standard it is a loser.

Why would anyone care about a standard if it's wrong? 

47 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Why would anyone care about a standard if it's wrong? 

It doesn't matter what standard you're using. If it's the standard that movies are judged with then that's all we have.  :dunno:

2 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

It doesn't matter what standard you're using. If it's the standard that movies are judged with then that's all we have.  :dunno:

If the standard is wrong then I'm not using that standard. It would be dumb to do so. What if Antman actually made 200M? My point above is a C level comic book character movie made half a billion dollars. That's pretty good.

I'll admit I don't have cable or watch regular TV and my computer blocks all ads so I don't know if they actually advertised a lot for this movie.

11 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

If the standard is wrong then I'm not using that standard. It would be dumb to do so. What if Antman actually made 200M? My point above is a C level comic book character movie made half a billion dollars. That's pretty good.

I'll admit I don't have cable or watch regular TV and my computer blocks all ads so I don't know if they actually advertised a lot for this movie.

You have to remember that in other countries they don't get 100% of the box office - it's more like 10% - 20% in China - the biggest market other than the US.  So that 500 billion you see is domestic AND international together BEFORE the studios get their cut.  Even domestically they're only getting 90% of the box office, maybe 95%.