Sign in to follow this  
League Champion

UPDATE: Lamar Jackson signs with Ravens

Wow that’s interesting. 

The Ravens need to trade him. Let someone else tie up a quarter of their salary cap for a QB that can't stay healthy and is average as a pocket passer. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the Ravens don't need to be in a hurry to sign a backup QB when they already have Pro Bowl QB Tyler Huntley on the roster.

I'd put the exclusive franchise tag on him and make somebody pay 2 first round picks for him. He's the most overrated player in the NFL and can't even stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

I'd put the exclusive franchise tag on him and make somebody pay 2 first round picks for him. He's the most overrated player in the NFL and can't even stay healthy. 

The exclusive tag means no other teams can sign him, so no 2 first round picks. 

17 minutes ago, jrokh said:

The exclusive tag means no other teams can sign him, so no 2 first round picks. 

You're right, that's non-exclusive

The Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag
When a player is offered a non-exclusive tag, he is still able to negotiate with other organizations. If an offer sheet is submitted and signed by the tagged play, the previous team must match the offer to keep the player. Otherwise, the player will officially sign with the new team, who will send two first round picks to the losing team in order to complete the transaction.

5 hours ago, League Champion said:

You're right, that's non-exclusive

The Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag
When a player is offered a non-exclusive tag, he is still able to negotiate with other organizations. If an offer sheet is submitted and signed by the tagged play, the previous team must match the offer to keep the player. Otherwise, the player will officially sign with the new team, who will send two first round picks to the losing team in order to complete the transaction.

well, they would get 2 firsts, but I think if trading him, they likely get more than 2 firsts so not an ideal situation, but if they actually wanna sign someone else (ie. Carr or Garoppolo) this is an attractive offer.   they get a new QB.  and 2 firsts to add young talent to a team that is already very good.

or they go with Huntley.      I think Huntley is good, but I'm not sure hes good enough.   then again hes inexperienced, so his lacklustre performance in the playoffs could be part of the learning curve.

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, they would get 2 firsts, but I think if trading him, they likely get more than 2 firsts so not an ideal situation, but if they actually wanna sign someone else (ie. Carr or Garoppolo) this is an attractive offer.   they get a new QB.  and 2 firsts to add young talent to a team that is already very good.

or they go with Huntley.      I think Huntley is good, but I'm not sure hes good enough.   then again hes inexperienced, so his lacklustre performance in the playoffs could be part of the learning curve.

It's not an easy decision for Baltimore. With his injury history I'd be hesitant to give him a monster long term deal, which he's apparently seeking. 

I'd kick the tires on a trade with Houston to get that #2 pick+, I doubt they'd do it but it may be worth asking. 

8 hours ago, League Champion said:

It's not an easy decision for Baltimore. With his injury history I'd be hesitant to give him a monster long term deal, which he's apparently seeking. 

I'd kick the tires on a trade with Houston to get that #2 pick+, I doubt they'd do it but it may be worth asking. 

I mentioned earlier on other threads.  running QB's usually have a short shelf life.  most dont make it past 30 years old unless they convert to become pocket passers.   

that said, I dont know that jacksons skill set is good enough if his ability to run goes away.    Hes a runner who also happens to be able to throw.     as compared to Mahomes or Rodgers who are throwers who also has the ability to run.   there is a difference.

Mahomes will have the longevity as he doesnt need his legs to make plays.   Jackson does.  and hes starting to get hurt a bit already.

if they keep him it should be under the tag, but honestly the smart move is to trade him and get what they can for the guy while his value is high.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:57 AM, Fumbleweed said:

The Ravens need to trade him. Let someone else tie up a quarter of their salary cap for a QB that can't stay healthy and is average as a pocket passer. 

The curse of the Running QB is in full effect.  Jackson, Fields, Murray, Hurts, Jones and Tagliovia are all the same.  They can't throw - that's why they run.  And they always get hurt because they're always running.

When will NFL Teams and GMs stop falling for them and let the FAD die?  The ROI is not worth it.  There is a reason like pocket passers like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning have a much longer shelf life.  Let the RBs run and the QBs pass.  That's what they're paid to do.

T Martin is now going to be their Qb coach, that should make a big difference 😎

36 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

The curse of the Running QB is in full effect.  Jackson, Fields, Murray, Hurts, Jones and Tagliovia are all the same.  They can't throw - that's why they run.  And they always get hurt because they're always running.

When will NFL Teams and GMs stop falling for them and let the FAD die?  The ROI is not worth it.  There is a reason like pocket passers like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning have a much longer shelf life.  Let the RBs run and the QBs pass.  That's what they're paid to do.

Well, the issue is that there aren't 32 Brady's out there and missing on a "pocket passer" leaves no upside.  So, drafting an athletic running QB is a viable option for sustaining a competitive team.  Maybe tag him once, but then you have to move on.  The mistake is giving those running QBs massive long-term second contracts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

there is more than just that.   Look at Cam Newton.  he was done before he was 30.   sure he played past 30 but he wasnt productive.

Donovan McNabb also had a shortened career due to injury and he was able to pass from the pocket.   in the end, he just took too many hits and couldnt stay healthy.

Vick didnt have a long career either.  I think he was productive to 31 or so but he also had time off due to dogfighting so that may have affected his longevity.

• Like 1

if the report is true Lamar is delusional.   all the more reason to deal him.  if you have no plans to sign that kind of contract, then dump him ASAP

11 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if the report is true Lamar is delusional.   all the more reason to deal him.  if you have no plans to sign that kind of contract, then dump him ASAP

Y'know, I GET why he would ask for more and play hardball.  If you don't fight for it you will never get it but this dude is clearly delusional on what his worth is.

57 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Y'know, I GET why he would ask for more and play hardball.  If you don't fight for it you will never get it but this dude is clearly delusional on what his worth is.

yeah, and he has no agent to bring him back to reality.

granted with no agent, I guess he has more room to move because hes not giving up to 10% to an agent.   but this is a situation where an agent may actually be worth it to him.  he could be leaving a lot of money on the table if he does not play this right.

I suppose a fully guaranteed contract is the most important thing but if he ends up letting the team franchise him for 2 years in a row (which is where this looks to be headed) he may actually lose all his bargaining power because of it.  once hes older teams are less willing to sign a deal like that.   hes approaching that point where hes gonna be oft injured like Cam Newton.  once teams get a sniff this is where his health is headed they will avoid like the plague.

hes already been injured more than typical.   I cannot see the situation getting better as he gets older.

2 hours ago, League Champion said:

His Moms 😂

Exactly

It’s just unbelievable how much money is being thrown around.  230mil, 133mi guaranteed turn down.  Wow.  

30 minutes ago, weepaws said:

It’s just unbelievable how much money is being thrown around.  230mil, 133mi guaranteed turn down.  Wow.  

yep.  greed is a crazy thing.  

but you know.... hes gotta provide for his family.

16 hours ago, League Champion said:

The Browns F'd it up for everyone when the signed Deshaun to that stupid guaranteed deal.  

of course they did.  I knew that the minute the contract was announced.

and it looks like they will pay dearly if he doesnt return to form next year.   thats a Big azz contract   Fully guaranteed.

if this guy doesnt perform that team will be screwed  on the cap for close to a decade.

10 hours ago, Ray_T said:

of course they did.  I knew that the minute the contract was announced.

and it looks like they will pay dearly if he doesnt return to form next year.   thats a Big azz contract   Fully guaranteed.

if this guy doesnt perform that team will be screwed  on the cap for close to a decade.

Yup, Cleveland is in trouble. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 5:54 AM, League Champion said:

Yup, Cleveland is in trouble. 

Big time trouble if Desean cannot produce at a high level.

I figured even if he does produce out of the gate, the second half of this contract was probably gonna be bad for the team.   but now the front end of the contract isnt looking good either.

big problems for Cleveland if he doesnt turn this around quickly.    This could be the sort of thing that gets the GM fired.   fully guaranteed?   ouch.

On 2/23/2023 at 9:01 PM, Ray_T said:

yep.  greed is a crazy thing.  

but you know.... hes gotta provide for his family.

:lol::lol::lol:  Also, the owners can't go any higher because they gotta provide for their families, too.  I guess the only folks who don't need to provide for their families are the fans who shell out for exorbitant ticket prices, seat license fees, and get gouged for concessions/parking if they actually want to go to a game.

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

:lol::lol::lol:  Also, the owners can't go any higher because they gotta provide for their families, too.  I guess the only folks who don't need to provide for their families are the fans who shell out for exorbitant ticket prices, seat license fees, and get gouged for concessions/parking if they actually want to go to a game.

yeah.  the fans are the suckers here.

they keep jacking up the prices and we keep paying it.

They will continue to jack up ticket prices until they get to a point where they cannot fill the stadium.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

They will continue to jack up ticket prices until they get to a point where they cannot fill the stadium.

Or afford to watch. We're almost at the point where every game will be pay per view, it's coming soon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

yeah.  the fans are the suckers here.

they keep jacking up the prices and we keep paying it.

Who’s we, do you have a mouse in your pocket, I stoped feeding the evil empire many years ago.  

55 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Who’s we, do you have a mouse in your pocket, I stoped feeding the evil empire many years ago.  

yeah, but you are one of the few.   if everyone had your attitude about football the cap would be lower and QB's would still be making less than 20 M.

Thats not the world we live in.

5 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Funny thing is, I don't think they actually need to fill the stadiums.  I don't think any teams actually lost money when they played the COVID season in empty stadiums.  All the gameday revenue is just gravy.

3 hours ago, League Champion said:

Or afford to watch. We're almost at the point where every game will be pay per view, it's coming soon. 

This one will be interesting.  I'm not sure that there is more money to be made with PPV versus the massive broadcast contracts they already get (and it will no doubt shrink rather than grow the audience).  Also, maneuvers like these jeopardize the anti-trust exemption enjoyed by the NFL. 

15 hours ago, Showboat said:

This one will be interesting.  I'm not sure that there is more money to be made with PPV versus the massive broadcast contracts they already get (and it will no doubt shrink rather than grow the audience).  Also, maneuvers like these jeopardize the anti-trust exemption enjoyed by the NFL. 

yeah, it may be that one of the conditions of getting the anti trust exemption is that a certain percentage of the games are on free TV with a national network (or something of the like)

I dont know the ins and outs with respect to that, but I have an economics degree and a condition like this would make a certain amount of sense from a regulatory perspective.

4 hours ago, League Champion said:

Who's going to pay Lamar what he's asking?? His stock is not great right now. 

I wouldnt.   but there are lots of suckers out there. 

I'm sure someone out there is in love with the guy and will give him a big pile of cash fully guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

I wouldnt.   but there are lots of suckers out there. 

I'm sure someone out there is in love with the guy and will give him a big pile of cash fully guaranteed.

Think he'll get Deshaun money? That would be crazy but could happen. 

21 hours ago, League Champion said:

Think he'll get Deshaun money? That would be crazy but could happen. 

slim chance

but he will still get probably far more than he deserves if he goes to free agency.

I just dont think hes the kind of QB that would reset the market.   he can ask for that kind of dough but getting it is another matter.

I think the fact the Deseaun contract is looking like such a disaster for the Browns has made teams skittish about shelling out that kind of dough

Lamar Jackson became Baltimore starter week 11, 2018 and since then: 

Ravens with and without Lamar Jackson

with              without

Win-Loss           45-16              4-8

PPG                     28.0               17.2

Total YPG          384.5            314.7

Rush YPG          184.8            158.2

source: NFL Network

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

I'm not saying hes not a good starter.

if he didnt make the team better when hes in the lineup, he would never have become a starter in the first place or held his job.

the issue is more along the lines of..... 

1) is he good enough?   can they win a superbowl with him.?

2) Longevity.   how long do we expect him to stay at or near the top of his game.

he is only 26 years old.  Historically running QB are usually done by the age of 30.   Lamar has not done anything to make me think hes going to have better longevity than others that have come before him. ..... we had the same discussion with Cam Newton a couple years back, but he turned out to be no different than anyone else.

in terms of Lamar...... His rookie season is the only year he did not miss any games due to injury.    2019 and 2020 he only missed one game each year.  not all that concerning.  but the last 2 years he's missed 3 games each year. which now creates a 4 year pattern that seems to be trending in the wrong direction in terms of games missed.

sure, he is only 26.   but do you sign a guy to a 7 or 8 year fully guaranteed deal?   he may only be good until 30 or 31 tops.  Franchise tag is by far the best option and then trade for what you can get.

He got the non exclusive tag, so we know he will shop around to see what he is worth.   Maybe someone will pay him and the Ravens will end up with two first round picks.   Maybe they wont.

We will soon see.   But knowing what he wants to get paid would likely scare off a lot of suitors. 

3 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Needs a true wr1.