Sign in to follow this  
League Champion

UPDATE: Lamar Jackson signs with Ravens

On 3/2/2023 at 10:46 AM, Ray_T said:

I wouldnt.   but there are lots of suckers out there. 

I'm sure someone out there is in love with the guy and will give him a big pile of cash fully guaranteed.

Possible, but they're not only signing him to a big, risky contract, they're giving away 2 first rounds picks to be able to sign him to a big, risky contract.

1 hour ago, Vikings4ever said:

Possible, but they're not only signing him to a big, risky contract, they're giving away 2 first rounds picks to be able to sign him to a big, risky contract.

I've seen worse.   Just sayin.   all you need is one GM willing to risk his job over this.   

one out of 32 teams.

and Im pretty sure there is at least 3 or 4 fools in charge of football teams.

I could be wrong.   and Lamar if he truly wants to stay in Baltimore(as has been reported) will shop around to see what he can get, but wont sign the offer sheet without asking Baltimore if they can give him something similar.  if they will not, then he has to choose if the hometown discount is worth it.   it sounds like Baltimore made him a really nice offer but clearly he is not happy with this.    at some point there needs to be a return to reality.   shopping his services may provide this.

10 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I've seen worse.   Just sayin.   all you need is one GM willing to risk his job over this.   

one out of 32 teams.

and Im pretty sure there is at least 3 or 4 fools in charge of football teams.

I could be wrong.   and Lamar if he truly wants to stay in Baltimore(as has been reported) will shop around to see what he can get, but wont sign the offer sheet without asking Baltimore if they can give him something similar.  if they will not, then he has to choose if the hometown discount is worth it.   it sounds like Baltimore made him a really nice offer but clearly he is not happy with this.    at some point there needs to be a return to reality.   shopping his services may provide this.

It is all ego with these guys as is related to money. They should be passionate about their egos as related to being winners. They will already be set for life financially. They just feel "disrespected" if they don't get more than the next guy. I don't think any team is going to want to pay $50M a year for an oft injured QB whose primary skill set is his running and getting hurt.

Watch what happens to Fields if he doesn't come through as a much better overall QB this year.  He'll be replaced in Chicago if they get themselves into a position to get a decent QB next year or the next after when he is in his 5th year. I think he comes through but there is no guarantee. 

5 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

It is all ego with these guys as is related to money.

do ya think?

honestly if I was a player and I was happy with the place I was playing and felt they have a good chance of winning a superbowl, I'd totally give a hometown discount to stay there.

If I thought it was a shitshow, thats when I'd ask for an unreal amount of money to make the team want to move me.  the extra money is what would make me put up with the shitshow.

even then, there is the question of whether its worth the extra money.

you cant really put a price on your happiness in a workplace.  you spend more than 50% of your time awake at work.    Better you are in a place you like.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

do ya think?

honestly if I was a player and I was happy with the place I was playing and felt they have a good chance of winning a superbowl, I'd totally give a hometown discount to stay there.

If I thought it was a shitshow, thats when I'd ask for an unreal amount of money to make the team want to move me.  the extra money is what would make me put up with the shitshow.

even then, there is the question of whether its worth the extra money.

you cant really put a price on your happiness in a workplace.  you spend more than 50% of your time awake at work.    Better you are in a place you like.

Agreed.  

I think it’s evident that maybe teams are wising up to doing stupid things.  Lamar has an MVP under his belt but that felt like a while ago.  He also has a suspect playoff record, injury issues and does NOT appear to be in the same class as Mahomes, Allen,  Burrow, etc. Jackson defenders need to STOP with the Deshawn Watson contract as their basis for argument. Just because Cleveland is stupid doesn’t mean that’s the new bar.  Forget that.  Drop the argument. 

Lamar is a tier 2 QB so that’s how he should be paid. End of discussion. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-qb-lamar-jackson-tweets-he-turned-down-three-year-133m-fully-guaranteed-c

3 yr 133 M fully guaranteed.   works out to just over 44 M per year.  only downside is its not a long term deal.

13 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-qb-lamar-jackson-tweets-he-turned-down-three-year-133m-fully-guaranteed-c

3 yr 133 M fully guaranteed.   works out to just over 44 M per year.  only downside is its not a long term deal.

He rejected that offer per NFL Network.  His tweets are difficult to understand.  I guess he was just pointing out what a good fully guaranteed offer he already got and that he doesn’t need an agent.

On 3/14/2023 at 3:22 PM, Ray_T said:

He rejected up to $200M guaranteed.

“Chris Mortensen and I reported on this last September when Lamar Jackson was offered a deal that he turned down. A deal that included at the time he was offered $133 million due at signing,” Schefter said. “$133 million guaranteed. 

The contract also had injury guarantees that brought the guarantees to $175 million and it then had a springing guarantee that could’ve brought the value for the contract, the guaranteed money of the contract to $200 million in guarantees... and yes, those were the actual numbers and that was the situation. So those really were the guarantees for Lamar Jackson.”

2 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

He rejected up to $200M guaranteed.

“Chris Mortensen and I reported on this last September when Lamar Jackson was offered a deal that he turned down. A deal that included at the time he was offered $133 million due at signing,” Schefter said. “$133 million guaranteed. 

The contract also had injury guarantees that brought the guarantees to $175 million and it then had a springing guarantee that could’ve brought the value for the contract, the guaranteed money of the contract to $200 million in guarantees... and yes, those were the actual numbers and that was the situation. So those really were the guarantees for Lamar Jackson.”

well, If Jackson is smart, he takes whatever deal gives him the most guaranteed money.

the 3 year deal was nice, but if he had one deal with over 200 M guaranteed, thats at least 50 mil per year over 4 years (which I figure is likely the max term where hed be an effective starting QB). or 40 mil per year over 5 years.

if anything beyond year 4 isnt fully guaranteed it shouldnt matter because hes likely not playing those years anyhow.  and if he is..... its just bonus cash

either way, It feels like he may be done in Baltimore.   if some team steps up and throws him a pile of cash I am guessing Baltimore doesnt match and takes their two first round picks.

and while it would be nice to keep their superbowl window open, it was not fully open anyhow.   its not like they were the favourite to make it past the divisional round anyhow.  so they were a dark horse at best.   hamstringing the organization with a contract like that would be borderline irresponsible unless you truly believe you win a superbowl with him and I dont think they do.    They will be a good team who gets to the second round of the playoffs.   nothing more unless they get lucky or a top team has a key injury that would make it easy for them to advance.

3 minutes ago, League Champion said:

He's not, nor is his Mother 😁

thats why that comment is in there.  though we should refrain from talking about his mother.   thats just not polite and she has nothing to do with fantasy football.

25 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

thats why that comment is in there.  though we should refrain from talking about his mother.   thats just not polite and she has nothing to do with fantasy football.

Ummm, she's his agent. She has everything to do with fantasy football right now. 

37 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, If Jackson is smart, he takes whatever deal gives him the most guaranteed money.

the 3 year deal was nice, but if he had one deal with over 200 M guaranteed, thats at least 50 mil per year over 4 years (which I figure is likely the max term where hed be an effective starting QB). or 40 mil per year over 5 years.

if anything beyond year 4 isnt fully guaranteed it shouldnt matter because hes likely not playing those years anyhow.  and if he is..... its just bonus cash

either way, It feels like he may be done in Baltimore.   if some team steps up and throws him a pile of cash I am guessing Baltimore doesnt match and takes their two first round picks.

and while it would be nice to keep their superbowl window open, it was not fully open anyhow.   its not like they were the favourite to make it past the divisional round anyhow.  so they were a dark horse at best.   hamstringing the organization with a contract like that would be borderline irresponsible unless you truly believe you win a superbowl with him and I dont think they do.    They will be a good team who gets to the second round of the playoffs.   nothing more unless they get lucky or a top team has a key injury that would make it easy for them to advance.

This is what is so curious. It seems Jackson has priced his skill set out of the market. It's his stupid ego. Hell, he could probably have gone to the Jets if he was willing to be reasonable and definitely had a chance to win with their current roster. I'll never understand why making more than other people is so much the driving force behind some of these guys motivation. It's as if they would rather make nothing on principle if they don't make more than the next guy. Of course, that principle is shot to hell already because he'll now only hold true to it since he already made his millions. So dumb.

3 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

This is what is so curious. It seems Jackson has priced his skill set out of the market. It's his stupid ego. Hell, he could probably have gone to the Jets if he was willing to be reasonable and definitely had a chance to win with their current roster. I'll never understand why making more than other people is so much the driving force behind some of these guys motivation. It's as if they would rather make nothing on principle if they don't make more than the next guy. Of course, that principle is shot to hell already because he'll now only hold true to it since he already made his millions. So dumb.

well, hes getting franchised.  probably losing about 10 M this year alone (assuming he signs the tender)   it was a really good offer he walked from.   probably better than he deserved

and next year he will be in the same spot, but the tender will cost more.  I dont see him coming out ahead by walking from this offer unless another team offers him a crazy contract. (which can happen.  I"ve seem some pretty dumb signings in free agency)

you are correct.  this is purely his ego.  Nothing more.  if he walks, the Ravens are likely better off with the two first round picks

"Well, he's getting franchised.  probably losing about 10 M this year alone (assuming he signs the tender) .."  I read an interview with him, 2021 off-season.  He STATED that is what he is shooting for.  He wants to be in the Kirk Cousins situation, for what happened in WAS.  Repeated uses of the franchise tags then gives the player "the power."

6 hours ago, Bills04 said:

"Well, he's getting franchised.  probably losing about 10 M this year alone (assuming he signs the tender) .."  I read an interview with him, 2021 off-season.  He STATED that is what he is shooting for.  He wants to be in the Kirk Cousins situation, for what happened in WAS.  Repeated uses of the franchise tags then gives the player "the power."

unless he has another subpar season or gets injured.   - a legitimate risk with his style of play.

but if money is the only thing he cares about Baltimore management should be hoping on some level that someone signs him to a big money contract so they can get their two first round picks and walk away.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

unless he has another subpar season or gets injured.   - a legitimate risk with his style of play.

but if money is the only thing he cares about Baltimore management should be hoping on some level that someone signs him to a big money contract so they can get their two first round picks and walk away.

I agree 💯. Sign the long term deal and get the guaranteed money. If he outplays the contract then he can renegotiate at anytime. He's one twisted knee or bad concussion away from oblivion right now. 

7 minutes ago, League Champion said:

I agree 💯. Sign the long term deal and get the guaranteed money. If he outplays the contract then he can renegotiate at anytime. He's one twisted knee or bad concussion away from oblivion right now. 

yep, and its not like hes been super healthy.  I think the only season he hasnt missed time due to injury was his rookie year. 

Last 2 seasons hes only played 12 games.

as previously mentioned by myself and others.... guys with his style of play tend to have shorter careers.   if he plays another season and only gets 12 or 13 games in thats a 3 year trend now of missing reasonably significant time.

Not ideal at all.   who would want to give a fully guaranteed, long term contract to anyone that misses 25% of their games due to injury already.  and hes not even old yet.  What happens when he ages out.    His best leverage is now because when someone signs they know they will likely get 3 good years out of him.  if he waits another year, sure the franchise tag is worth more, but hes a year older and teams are less likely to give a long term deal.

I'm sure someone may take a chance, but so far nobody has given him any kind of offer and we are into the free agency market.   This should be the first clue that hes asking way too much.

if they thought he was the missing piece, 2 firsts is a small price to pay to get him on your roster.    but nobody is biting.

dude is delusional.   if he doesnt sign his best contract this year, Hes gonna be out a lot of $$$ by the time this is over.

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

dude is delusional.   if he doesnt sign his best contract this year, Hes gonna be out a lot of $$$ by the time this is over.

No doubt. He really needs an agent or handler to lay it out for him. He's losing money by the hour. 

14 minutes ago, League Champion said:

No doubt. He really needs an agent or handler to lay it out for him. He's losing money by the hour. 

well, maybe not that extreme.  but once the deadline to sign comes and goes, hes out significant dough.   This years tag isnt worth that much.

but the fact the ravens put the non exclusive tag on him likely means there is a fair chance of a sign and trade.

I could see indy waiting until the draft before giving an offer so they dont have to give the #4 overall pick up.

Alternatively, maybe Indy offers the #4 pick for him straight up and then Baltimore offers that one along with their own #1 pick (assuming they still have their own first rounder)  to move up and take a QB.

it is an option.  Though I'm not sure that would be enough to make either of the owners of the top 2 picks to move.... but maybe it is.

its also possible Baltimore actually likes the #3 QB on the board.   this is considered to be a deep draft class at QB so options do exist.

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

He's a running QB which means he has SIGNIFICANT risk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

He's a running QB which means he has SIGNIFICANT risk.

True, he can't throw like a Mahomes or Hurts. He runs first and that's going to catch up to him sooner or later. 

• Like 2

Lamar posted some tweets today (coincidentally right when John Harbaugh was set to speak at the league annual meeting) that, well... don't really say a lot. He requested a trade a March 2nd...

7 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Lamar posted some tweets today (coincidentally right when John Harbaugh was set to speak at the league annual meeting) that, well... don't really say a lot. He requested a trade a March 2nd...

He has no leverage. A team would have to offer at least 2 first round picks, plus more. They can just sign him to an offer sheet. No one has. Good luck Lamar...

Jackson is not worth what he's asking.  In fact, as a running QB, he's worth significantly less.  Easily within the Tier 2 QB salary, if not Tier 3.  He's not a Tier 1 QB by any stretch of the imagination.

Who does this guy think he is?

First round draft pick, and Heisman Trophy winner. That’s who he still thanks he is.  

3 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Jackson is not worth what he's asking.  In fact, as a running QB, he's worth significantly less.  Easily within the Tier 2 QB salary, if not Tier 3.  He's not a Tier 1 QB by any stretch of the imagination.

I dont think hes tier 3.

he has gotten his team to the playoffs consistently.  at the very least, that makes him tier 2.  Regardless, hes asking for Tier 1 money and no team really seems interested in paying 2 first round picks to provide that kind of contract.

this is where not having an agent makes this difficult to navigate.  when negotiating you need to not let things get personal.   It would appear that Lamar has made it personal. 

that said, given how far out of touch he is with reality in terms of his worth, I am not sure an agent can make this situation better for him.    in the end the agent needs to bring the clients expectations into the realm of whats appropriate and I dont believe that this is actually possible with Lamar.

• Like 1

If some team is dumb enough to give this guy an offer, Baltimore should be jumping for joy that they didn't make that mistake and are getting 2 1st round picks for him.

After the disasters of Murray, Wilson and Watson, only the dumbest of GMs would sign this guy. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lod001 said:

If some team is dumb enough to give this guy an offer, Baltimore should be jumping for joy that they didn't make that mistake and are getting 2 1st round picks for him.

After the disasters of Murray, Wilson and Watson, only the dumbest of GMs would sign this guy. 

I wouldn’t characterize Watson a disaster, at least not yet. Dude missed like 2 years and played 6 games. He could be back to form this season. More time is needed regarding a proper evaluation…

18 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Someone who wants to get paid top dollar because he is better than guys like Daniel Jones, Derek Carr, and at this point is better than Russell Wilson, Stafford, Prescott, Goff, etc. All guys who are getting big guaranteed money at signing. 

32 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Someone who wants to get paid top dollar because he is better than guys like Daniel Jones, Derek Carr, and at this point is better than Russell Wilson, Stafford, Prescott, Goff, etc. All guys who are getting big guaranteed money at signing. 

He's a injury-prone, used Running QB who runs because he can't pass very well.  No team is going to take a risk on that with their top dollar, much less a fully guaranteed contract. 

While Jones and Carr are certainly not Tier1 QBs, at least they're the "pass first, run only if I have to" type QBs.  That's what you want in a QB - a guy who can pass as his PRIMARY skill, not a QB whose primary skill is running.  He's one "OMG!  Here comes a defender!" run away from injury and some team on the hook for 200 million dollars for a QB that can't play, much less pass properly.

It's not just Jackson - it's all running QBs teams should have a problem with.  Hurts, Fields, Lance, Allen, etc... the list goes on and on.  Running QBs don't last long in this league (with very few exceptions).  Once injury gets them or they can't run anymore (age) then they are forced to pass and that is REALLY when you can see it plain as day as to why they were always running.

He's a Tier 2 QB at best and should land a Tier 2 deal.  I, personally, think he's on the border of Tier 2/Tier 3.

Let's play blind item:

Player A: 64% completion percentage, 60 touchdowns, 34 INTS, 86.5 quarterback rating, 40 approximate value to team

Player B: 63.7% completion percentage, 101 touchdowns, 38 INTS, 96.7 quarterback rating, 74 approximate value to team

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

Carr got 100 million guaranteed. DJ got 82 million guaranteed. LJax wants 230 million + fully guaranteed. Apples to Oranges…

5 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Carr got 100 million guaranteed. DJ got 82 million guaranteed. LJax wants 230 million + fully guaranteed. Apples to Oranges…

Russell Wilson got 124 million guaranteed at signing. Kyler Murray got 103 million. 

And analytically Jackson is more valuable to his team than Watson has been over the course of his career.

I get why Jackson is asking for what he wants- especially knowing there is big money going to guys like Burrow, Herbert, Hurts, and potentially Tua after he signs. 

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

Russell Wilson got 124 million guaranteed at signing. Kyler Murray got 103 million. 

And analytically Jackson is more valuable to his team than Watson has been over the course of his career.

I get why Jackson is asking for what he wants- especially knowing there is big money going to guys like Burrow, Herbert, Hurts, and potentially Tua after he signs. 

Still nowhere near what Ljax reportedly wants, 200+ fully guaranteed. He can ask for whatever he wants, he just has no leverage. Any team in the NFL can offer him that right now, but no one is...

3 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

The best comparable here is Wilson.  At his best hes  been a better QB than Jackson at his best, but he hasnt been that good since leaving seattle.

thing is you pay a player for what they have done up to that point in their career, and Wilson was.

Granted at 49 M per year Wilson has come nowhere close to proving value for that contract.

Carr is in my mind close to being comparable in terms of value only.     but he is a different kind of QB and not all people like him the way I do.   hes purely a drop back QB so the people who would shop for Carr likely are not interested in Jackson and vice versa.

Jones is a less proven version of Jackson.    Not quite as athletic, so he doesnt run as much but also does not take as many hits.

in terms of finding out where he belongs.....  

Watson ----->  5 year   46M/yr   230 M fully guaranteed

Wilson  ----->  5 year   49 M /yr   242 M  but only 124 M guaranteed at signing.  

Jackson  ----->  TBD

Jones  ------> 4 year 160 M contract   81 M guaranteed

I figure Jackson is below wilson and watson in terms of body of work at time of signing...... and better than jones.

so we should (in theory) be looking at around 45 mil per year with just over 100 M guaranteed.   if he wants a fully guaranteed contract, he likely needs to take a little less money per year like Watson did. (as compared to wilson who took less in terms of guarantees but got the larger annual paycheck.

so if looking at fully guaranteed money  only  he should be looking at 5 years 40-43 M/yr if fully guaranteed.

and this is just based on the analysis of comparable contracts that have come before this point  using the assumption that Watson and wilson were better at time of signing and Jones inferior at time of signing in terms of body of work.

personally I still feel a 5 year deal with a QB like him is a mistake, but I doubt any team is getting him without doing a 5 year deal based on the way Jackson has been spouting off to the media and social media.

well, the jones contract has complicated things.  guaranteed or not, he is not gonna want to get paid less than him.

ideally the fully guaranteed contract would be in the 35-38 mil range, but now that Jones has 40 mil (even though it is not fully guaranteed) I suspect Jackson wont be willing to take less than that even if fully guaranteed.

realistic ..... not really but thats what his ego is telling me.  he wont accept that.