Sign in to follow this  
League Champion

UPDATE: Lamar Jackson signs with Ravens

3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, the jones contract has complicated things.  guaranteed or not, he is not gonna want to get paid less than him.

ideally the fully guaranteed contract would be in the 35-38 mil range, but now that Jones has 40 mil (even though it is not fully guaranteed) I suspect Jackson wont be willing to take less than that even if fully guaranteed.

realistic ..... not really but thats what his ego is telling me.  he wont accept that.

That's why I said I think he looks to get the guaranteed money...Maybe like 5 years, 215 million with 140 guaranteed

He wants to get more than Watson, Fully Guaranteed. That's why no one will go near this. It's why Baltimore tagged him with the non exclusive instead of the exclusive. They said, fine go find the deal you are insistent on. nothing but crickets...

there is now talk that indy is looking at possibly doing something here.  but it sounds like they dont want to part with 2 firsts.  sounds like they want to make an offer to Baltimore.

46 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Dead issue...

I guess Lamar would have to be willing to back off the fully guaranteed contract thing.

one other possible scenario is that he never wanted to stay in Baltimore and the outrageous ask on the contract was an attempt to make them move him.  so it is possible that if the colts acquire him, a deal may be signed that is more in line with what the market is for his services.

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

I guess Lamar would have to be willing to back off the fully guaranteed contract thing.

one other possible scenario is that he never wanted to stay in Baltimore and the outrageous ask on the contract was an attempt to make them move him.  so it is possible that if the colts acquire him, a deal may be signed that is more in line with what the market is for his services.

Why would they move him for less than two firsts, which a team would have to give by just signing him?

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Why would they move him for less than two firsts, which a team would have to give by just signing him?

Well, The colts have the #4 overall pick I believe.

why would they sign him now, when they can wait until the draft, spend their #4 overall pick and then send 2 first rounds for the following 2 years?

in theory, with Lamar at QB those picks would be late first round picks.

so 2 picks at  lets say #20 overall and #22 overall is worth close to the #4 pick this year in what is considered to be a deep draft year.

so there may be incentive to do a trade now to make sure they get that #4 overall pick which may be worth 2 firsts in other years.  if Baltimore thinks they can get a good, young QB at #4 overall, maybe they make a deal to make sure they get the #4 overall pick.

if they dont deal, then the Colts can just wait until draft day, draft their guy at #4 and then sign Lamar and give up 2 (presumbably lower value) first round picks.

Thats my point.

Owners talk is cheap, same with the coaches, who knows he just might be with the Colts despite what’s being said , most of this bs talk is all about leverage.  

Just now, weepaws said:

Owners talk is cheap, same with the coaches, who knows he just might be with the Colts despite what’s being said , most of this bs talk is all about leverage.  

of course it is.

All I am saying is.... if something happens here..... there is a fair chance they negotiate something because of the situation.

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

Because a team may be willing to give him a big contract, but not also give up 2 firsts. Then Jackson's a malcontent with a contract offer, but no contract. The Ravens may be content to let Jackson find someone to sign him, and get what they can in return.

33 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Because a team may be willing to give him a big contract, but not also give up 2 firsts. Then Jackson's a malcontent with a contract offer, but no contract. The Ravens may be content to let Jackson find someone to sign him, and get what they can in return.

This is also a good point.

but its also a case where the #4 overall pick may be worth 2 normal first round picks if another team signs him instead.

1 hour ago, Vikings4ever said:

Exactly, then Baltimore automatically gets 2 firsts. So it makes no sense for them to trade him for less.

This isn’t really an issue of leverage for the Colts. Either they give Jackson what he wants or if they offer less Baltimore will just match. He is going back to Baltimore, regardless. Unless he sits out for a year…

19 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Exactly, then Baltimore automatically gets 2 firsts. So it makes no sense for them to trade him for less.

This isn’t really an issue of leverage for the Colts. Either they give Jackson what he wants or if they offer less Baltimore will just match. He is going back to Baltimore, regardless. Unless he sits out for a year…

in the end it really depends what Baltimore actually wants.

the #20 pick in each of the next 2 years likely does not get them another QB.   Thats what happens if they wait and then  the colts sign him sometime after draft day.

but the #4 overall pick..... that gets them a QB.   the question is whether it gets them the QB they want.

if they play ball now, the #4 overall pick is clearly in play.   if they wait, that option is off the table when Indy makes their selection (or trades it away)

They could acquire Minshew as a throw in along with a first.   Then they have two QB's capable of starting.   I could see Minshew playing well in that offense but its also possible he isnt the starter.

another option is they trade for that #4 pick and get a player that fills a need elsewhere.   then Acquire Zach Wilson.    It would appear the Jets are keen to move on from him.   They can probably get him cheap.   

Lots of options here, but it really depends what the Ravens want to do.

5 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

in the end it really depends what Baltimore actually wants.

the #20 pick in each of the next 2 years likely does not get them another QB.   Thats what happens if they wait and then  the colts sign him sometime after draft day.

but the #4 overall pick..... that gets them a QB.   the question is whether it gets them the QB they want.

if they play ball now, the #4 overall pick is clearly in play.   if they wait, that option is off the table when Indy makes their selection (or trades it away)

They could acquire Minshew as a throw in along with a first.   Then they have two QB's capable of starting.   I could see Minshew playing well in that offense but its also possible he isnt the starter.

another option is they trade for that #4 pick and get a player that fills a need elsewhere.   then Acquire Zach Wilson.    It would appear the Jets are keen to move on from him.   They can probably get him cheap.   

Lots of options here, but it really depends what the Ravens want to do.

I didn’t realize the #4 pick was in play. Colts would be stupid to trade that, but from Baltimore’s perspective that might be worth it.

14 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I didn’t realize the #4 pick was in play. Colts would be stupid to trade that, but from Baltimore’s perspective that might be worth it.

its in play if the colts sign him now.

this is likely why they wait to sign him.  or maybe Baltimore accepts that pick in lieu of 2 firsts.

in that scenario it makes more sense for Baltimore to do a trade.  Especially if they want to draft another QB.

5 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

I would venture a guess Jackson ends up getting something in the neighborhood of 140-150 million guaranteed. 

He missed 5 games each of the last 2 years.  His value is in running the ball.  He's at a greater risk when he runs.  Anyone who guarantees him anything past year 2, is foolish.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

He missed 5 games each of the last 2 years.  His value is in running the ball.  He's at a greater risk when he runs.  Anyone who guarantees him anything past year 2, is foolish.

I dont disagree.   running QB's usually expire before age 30.

some last longer, but its not typical.  and given the # of games Jackson has missed due to injury already, I cant see him being the exception.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Foolish indeed , possible that it happens, I think it could.  

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

There are plenty of foolish contracts in football. What's one more.

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

well, anything beyond 3 years should not be fully guaranteed.

I figure he likely has at least 2 and possibly 3 years left in the tank.

beyond that it gets real dicey.

the way I'd write the contract is 3 years guaranteed.   if his shelf life is only 2 years, eating one year on a contract isnt completely outrageous.

4th year becomes guaranteed if he plays x number of games over the first 3 years.   or if hes still on the roster at the end (or the start) of 3 years (meaning if the team keeps him beyond 3 years the 4th year becomes guaranteed).

5th year not guaranteed or partial guarantee ( likely signing bonus portion only or a small amount of 5th year gets a guarantee)

This way there is an out at the 3 and 4 year mark if he doesnt perform or cannot stay healthy.

most teams have insurance policies on their top players that will cover the salary in the event of career ending injury.   it is the cap hit that kills them in the event  he cannot play.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:41 PM, Sean Mooney said:

This is definitely a true statement.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, League Champion said:

Forget the dumb contract, can he even play??

He's regressed as a passer and is always hurt. You'd be crazy to sign this guy. 

well, its hard to say if its a true regression.   The ravens did him no favours by trading his #1 WR.   Granted when the player doesnt want to be there, its not like the team really has a choice.  I do agree that as a team you dont want guys in your dressing room who dont want to be there.

That said, you are not buying him for his passing ability.  you are buying him for the dual threat nature he can add to your offense.   The fact he can run forces teams to have a spy which means one less person in coverage and that opens things up elsewhere in the offense.

but based purely on production, hes not top 5.   Top 10 yes but not elite by any means.

but as mentioned longevity is the real concern with a contract of the type Lamar is wanting.   if he can play to the current level for 5 years and remain healthy, that is one thing.   but I dont think that is even remotely realistic.   Thats the larger issue.   you dont give fully guaranteed contracts to players like this.    Case in point: Jimmy G.   he took his team to the superbowl and his team still drafted his replacement because the guy cant stay healthy.

Jimmy G is still a starting calibre QB but had to take a hit on the money because he cant stay healthy.

the same should apply to Lamar.   Granted Lamar has not missed the same amount of time as Jimmy G but the same concerns detract from his value.

that reason alone is reason enough not to give a fully guaranteed contract to the man.  

I respect what hes been able to do and I respect his talent, but this is business.   you gotta weigh the value of what he delivers against the money and hes currently asking too much.

On 3/29/2023 at 4:58 PM, League Champion said:

Forget the dumb contract, can he even play??

He's regressed as a passer and is always hurt. You'd be crazy to sign this guy. 

I wouldn't go that far, but to an extent, I agree.  I'd sign him, and even pay him a nice chunk of change, but it would be short term with limited guaranteed money.  I would give no signing bonus, but I would guarantee the first 2 years.  I'd be ok with a 5 year deal too.  For example, to me, the perfect contract would be a 5 year / $175M deal where there's NO bonus money.  All 5 years are at $35M in base pay where the only guaranteed money is years 1 & 2.  That's it.  If he gets hurt both of those first 2 years and misses too many games and not available for the playoffs... I cut him after year 2.  Otherwise, if he stays healthy, I have no problem giving him $35M each year. 

On 3/31/2023 at 9:33 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

I wouldn't go that far, but to an extent, I agree.  I'd sign him, and even pay him a nice chunk of change, but it would be short term with limited guaranteed money.  I would give no signing bonus, but I would guarantee the first 2 years.  I'd be ok with a 5 year deal too.  For example, to me, the perfect contract would be a 5 year / $175M deal where there's NO bonus money.  All 5 years are at $35M in base pay where the only guaranteed money is years 1 & 2.  That's it.  If he gets hurt both of those first 2 years and misses too many games and not available for the playoffs... I cut him after year 2.  Otherwise, if he stays healthy, I have no problem giving him $35M each year. 

I'm with you but is he worth the nonsense? He's the black Aaron Rodgers. Is he going to pull this crap every few years? Rodgers is at least worth putting up with the BS, Lamar isn't. 

11 minutes ago, League Champion said:

I'm with you but is he worth the nonsense? He's the black Aaron Rodgers. Is he going to pull this crap every few years? Rodgers is at least worth putting up with the BS, Lamar isn't. 

Is he really that bad or does he just think that he's done enough to warrant a big contract?  Let's be honest, he's accomplished more than Watson, Prescott, & Jones... and they all got paid, so why shouldn't he (from his perspective)?  I don't think he's wrong for asking for what he is.  Now, I don't think he's worth it... just like I don't think the other 3 are/were, but I don't think it's fair to label him negatively for being involved in the business end of football.

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

he really that bad or does he just think that he's done enough to warrant a big contract? 

No, he's definitely not "bad", he's not that next level QB either. He's not a good enough passer, and look at QBs that win Championships, all of them can make throws from the pocket. Lamar just can't. He's near the top of the second tier IMO. 

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Is he really that bad or does he just think that he's done enough to warrant a big contract?  Let's be honest, he's accomplished more than Watson, Prescott, & Jones... and they all got paid, so why shouldn't he (from his perspective)?  I don't think he's wrong for asking for what he is.  Now, I don't think he's worth it... just like I don't think the other 3 are/were, but I don't think it's fair to label him negatively for being involved in the business end of football.

I would definitely not say hes accomplished more than Watson and Prescott.   He has accomplished more than jones.

Watson if you exclude his rookie year had seasons where he threw for 4150, 3850 and just over 4800 yards. 

Jackson surpassed 3000 yards passing once.   its not even close.   the Body of work for Watson is clearly superior.

even if including rush yards, its still superior by a smaller margin but still we are looking at over 4250 all purpose yards in 2 years and over 5000 all purpose yards in his year prior to the contract.

Jacksons best year he got 4300 all purpose yards

as for Dak its not really comparable as hes more of a drop back passer who can run when he needs to.

but in his rookie year he put up 3667 yards along with 280 on the ground for a total of almost 3850 total yards  as a rookie.

year 3 he put up 3885 pass yards along with 300 rush yards for 4185 total yards and the following year got 4900 pass yards along with 277 rush yards for almost 5200 all purpose yards

in terms of td lamar performs better than dak but dak had a td beast in zeke so it may not be an apples to apples comparison

hes comparable to desean overall but really had a huge year in 2019 and has steadily declined 2 years in a row then rebounded slightly.  realistically he only had 2 good years in terms of td

while i am not a huge fan of any of these guys both Dak and Desean have accomplished more prior to their big contract, in my opinion

I am crossing my fingers that the Raven's trade Lamar to the Colt to secure the 4th spot to take Stroud.  But in truth they have to wait for the draft.  It is likely true that none of the three teams ahead of that 4th spot take Stroud, but it is not completely out of the realm of possibility. 

This is a good way for the Raven's to divest of the guy now, and let him become a headache for some other team.

37 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I am crossing my fingers that the Raven's trade Lamar to the Colt to secure the 4th spot to take Stroud.  But in truth they have to wait for the draft.  It is likely true that none of the three teams ahead of that 4th spot take Stroud, but it is not completely out of the realm of possibility. 

This is a good way for the Raven's to divest of the guy now, and let him become a headache for some other team.

one problem......I am not sure they get Stroud at 4.

5 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

one problem......I am not sure they get Stroud at 4.

Agree.  And beyind that, it is unlikely that Stroud is what he appears to be.  His performance was elevated by the ability of OSU to gobble up talent

thats where you have to trust what the scouts are saying.

if your QB throws the ball exactly where it needs to be it does not matter how good the coverage is.

apparently hes not as good under pressure from a pass rush, but I cant think of too many QB's who dont meet that description.   That was the big knock on Dak Prescott in his draft year and the very reason he wasnt drafted in the first round.   but the Cowboys had the best line in pro football and didnt deem it to be a huge concern for them.

when I see that a WR has to stop running or change their route to make a catch, thats a bigger problem.   But accuracy was not actually a huge weakness for Stroud

these features listed below in Bold (Bleacher report scouting) make me think hes a legit starter.   for me its just a question of how good he will be.   I really like the ability to make good pre snap reads and his quick and flexible throwing motion.   These are features your high end starting QB's all have.   What he doesnt do is run the ball a lot.  Apparently he did run the ball a lot in high school but transitioned into more of a drop back passer.   So the skill is there for this to be a part of his game.   To that end based on the scouting reports I have read, the low end comp would be Alex Smith.  the high end, Mahomes.    but I dont see him being Mahomes level good.  hes most likely somewhere in between the two comps.

Quick, flexible throwing motion.

— Excellent accuracy when clean; consistent placement with incredible flashes of touch and understands how to throw around and away from defenders.

— Above-average pre-snap processor; identifies blitz and takes advantage by throwing behind it; executes quick game with efficiency.

2 hours ago, RLLD said:

Agree.  And beyind that, it is unlikely that Stroud is what he appears to be.  His performance was elevated by the ability of OSU to gobble up talent

What I was hinting at earlier is why is Stroud’s ability elevated by OSU talent, but Young’s isn’t by Alabama gobbling up talent? No school, not even Georgia, accumulates more talent than the Tide…

9 minutes ago, jrokh said:

What I was hinting at earlier is why is Stroud’s ability elevated by OSU talent, but Young’s isn’t by Alabama gobbling up talent? No school, not even Georgia, accumulates more talent than the Tide…

I was not yet ready to discuss Young, but yes, the premise remains. It would not be exclusive to Ohio State, otherwise it would not be philosophically correct.  

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I was not yet ready to discuss Young, but yes, the premise remains. It would not be exclusive to Ohio State, otherwise it would not be philosophically correct.  

Ok so every QB that plays on an Uber talented team is suspect on that basis. Got it…

• Like 1

Just now, jrokh said:

Ok so every QB that plays on an Uber talented team is suspect on that basis. Got it…

I surmise it should be a factor when NFL teams evaluate them, but I would allow that they likely already have plenty of factors they measure, and it is likely there is some accounting for it. 

For we in the FF world, I think it should help us better manage our rankins and draft approach as well. 

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I surmise it should be a factor when NFL teams evaluate them, but I would allow that they likely already have plenty of factors they measure, and it is likely there is some accounting for it. 

For we in the FF world, I think it should help us better manage our rankins and draft approach as well. 

Maybe in Dynasty, but in redraft avoiding rookie QBs is generally a sound strategy. I don’t really buy the theory anyway. Alabama, Georgia, and OSU may have the most talent, but the play the hardest schedules in the toughest conferences. I’m not a huge Stroud fan but watching him light up Georgia like a Christmas tree was eye opening…

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Maybe in Dynasty, but in redraft avoiding rookie QBs is generally a sound strategy. I don’t really buy the theory anyway. Alabama, Georgia, and OSU may have the most talent, but the play the hardest schedules in the toughest conferences. I’m not a huge Stroud fan but watching him light up Georgia like a Christmas tree was eye opening…

Good stuff  :thumbsup: