Sign in to follow this  
League Champion

UPDATE: Lamar Jackson signs with Ravens

40 minutes ago, jrokh said:

watching him light up Georgia like a Christmas tree was eye opening…

on this I fully agree.

hes not a perfect prospect, but I do think hes definitely a pro QB in the making  and with Pro coaching you have to think the ceiling is pretty high with him.

6 hours ago, RLLD said:

And beyind that, it is unlikely that Stroud is what he appears to be.

Normally I would agree, especially with OSU QBs but Stroud is different, he's a better pro prospect than college prospect. He's 10x the prospect that Justin Fields ever was. 

I wouldn't touch Young, he's another Tua and that's not going to well for him. 

12 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Normally I would agree, especially with OSU QBs but Stroud is different, he's a better pro prospect than college prospect. He's 10x the prospect that Justin Fields ever was. 

I wouldn't touch Young, he's another Tua and that's not going to well for him. 

Not being snarky, can you expound on that?  What about him do you like the most?

12 hours ago, RLLD said:

Not being snarky, can you expound on that?  What about him do you like the most?

He has a superior football IQ, pinpoint accuracy, he throws his receivers open with anticipation, he's the perfect NFL mold (6'3), has great legs even though he didn't use them much in college, which isn't a bad thing and his teammates all loved him, he was Captain, etc.

What's not to like? 

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

He has a superior football IQ, pinpoint accuracy, he throws his receivers open with anticipation, he's the perfect NFL mold (6'3), has great legs even though he didn't use them much in college, which isn't a bad thing and his teammates all loved him, he was Captain, etc.

What's not to like? 

It would seem that the Colts might be foolish to not draft him and instead trade the pick for Lamar.  

2 hours ago, RLLD said:

It would seem that the Colts might be foolish to not draft him and instead trade the pick for Lamar.  

it would seem foolish that someone with an earlier pick would let him slide to 4.

it is my belief that the Colts have no chance of getting him without trading up.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:00 AM, RLLD said:

I don't think Stroud gets past 1. 

Young is probably the better QB right now but his size is going to be a problem. Kyler Murray and Tua have 1 foot out the door and the other on a banana peel. 

22 hours ago, Ray_T said:

is my belief that the Colts have no chance of getting him without trading up.

Totally agree. There's a reason that the Panthers made that trade right after the draft, it's going to be Stroud at 1. 

2 hours ago, League Champion said:

Totally agree. There's a reason that the Panthers made that trade right after the draft, it's going to be Stroud at 1. 

I wont presume to guess which QB they are taking but I'm pretty sure the first 2 picks will be QB

On 4/7/2023 at 10:50 AM, Ray_T said:

I wont presume to guess which QB they are taking but I'm pretty sure the first 2 picks will be QB

I can't imagine Levis or Richardson sneaking into the top 2 but easily the top 10. Richardson feels like a longer term project to me, he's barely played any football and is still so raw, but extremely talented nonetheless. 

It might not be a bad signing - really depends on the details of the "up to $18M".  If there are incentives for 80, 100, 120 catches, 1000, 1500, 2000 yards, making the playoffs, making/winning the Super Bowl, etc. and the incentives are at least 2/3 of the $18M, it's probably a good deal for the Ravens who definitely need some more receiver talent.

Signing Beckham might just keep Jackson with the Ravens, it’s the right move for the Ravens if Jackson is indeed going to resign with them.  

Looks like they might have spent  a little much for him imo.  

Uncharacteristically bad signing by the Ravens.  And what is OBJ thinking, except for $15 mill guaranteed of course.  I give him until week 3 before he goes full diva after his 10 catches for 52 yards no matter who is the QB.  5 of those catches will probably be WR screens lol.

• Like 1

Maybe Lamar said he'd sign the tag if they get O'Dell :dunno:

54 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Maybe Lamar said he'd sign the tag if they get O'Dell :dunno:

this might actually make some sense.   Lamar gets a guy he thinks is a top WR, he will take his one year franchise tag with the thought he will make a lot more money later.

as for the team, if it gets him to sign the tender, their superbowl window stays open one more year.  (maybe)

I say maybe because a lot of things need to go right for this to work out for them.   its not impossible, but I have my doubts. 

At least nobody is signed to 6 or 7 year deals fully guaranteed.

17 minutes ago, League Champion said:

I like the signing but the money blows my mind. He's nowhere near a WR1 anymore. 

your top WR's make 30, 28 and 27 mil respectively.   at 15 mil I dont think that is WR1 money anymore.

its in the WR 2 range.   if its WR1 its low end WR1      sure likely it is an overpay, but not by as much as you are suggesting.

further to this, I'd be more concerned about the element you are bringing into your dressing room than I am about the talent that is being brought in.

7 hours ago, Ray_T said:

your top WR's make 30, 28 and 27 mil respectively.   at 15 mil I dont think that is WR1 money anymore.

its in the WR 2 range.   if its WR1 its low end WR1      sure likely it is an overpay, but not by as much as you are suggesting.

WR2 is in that 8-10 million dollar range but you're right it's not high end WR1 money like Kupp or Devante. Nonetheless, look at the list below, that's way too much for him. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/

11 hours ago, League Champion said:

WR2 is in that 8-10 million dollar range but you're right it's not high end WR1 money like Kupp or Devante. Nonetheless, look at the list below, that's way too much for him. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/

thanks for posting the link.

now I dont know how reasonable it is to just look at the top 30 salaries.   some WR1 guys are on rookie contracts and as such wont be making money in the top tier.

but in looking at your list.  Beckham makes about what Courtland Sutton makes.  I'd rather have Sutton for that price but looking at what is below him.....

Corey Davis at 12.5M

Gallup at 11.5 M

Samuel at 11.5 M

Patrick at 11.3 M.

Lazard at 11 M

none of which have ever had a 1000 yard season.

I'd argue he deserves more money than any of these guys seeing as hes had (I think) 5 1000 yard seasons in his career.

the real concern is how that twice repaired ACL will hold up and how much it will affect his speed and ability to make a cut.    I have to assume if they watched him practice they have enough confidence that he can get it done there.

for me, his hands are unquestioned.

its his health and the element he brings to the dressing room that concern me.

either way, its an overpay but not by THAT much.  if he returns to fully healthy form it could even be an underpay.  though I doubt this is going to be the case to be honest.

54 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if he returns to fully healthy form it could even be an underpay.  though I doubt this is going to be the case to be honest.

I'm with you. He definitely has WR1 talent, although it's been a long time since we've seen those numbers and Lamar isn't exactly a prolific passer. We'll see what happens. 

2 hours ago, League Champion said:

I'm with you. He definitely has WR1 talent, although it's been a long time since we've seen those numbers and Lamar isn't exactly a prolific passer. We'll see what happens. 

yeah, he showed some flashes with the Rams after leaving Cleveland, but then he got hurt again.  But in Cleveland he did have a QB who couldnt take full advantage of his skillset.

for me, the real risk is in that ACL which has been surgically repaired not once, but twice.   Once you get into multiple surgeries, the odds of a successful comeback go down drastically and the odds of having more knee or other soft tissue injuries go up.    Lots of times other muscles or tendons take extra strain to compensate for the weakened ACL so you sometimes get other problems.

if he can still play, I predict he gets not much more than a half season in.   Thats probably where most of the risk is.

There is also the risk that if he doesnt get as many looks as he would like he (or his parents) could call out his QB publicly like was done in Cleveland.   That would be my greatest fear in this situation if I were a Ravens Fan (or coach).  the possible cancer that has been brought into the dressing room by a Diva WR can be significant.

If Lamar has requested he be brought in, he may quickly regret THAT decision if the second scenario comes to pass.

If they indeed keep Jackson, picking up Beckham is a good move, now let’s see if Beckham can stay healthy.  

I see the change in the name of the thread.   Lamar has signed?   I have not seen any reports, but I did see report  of a tweet where Lamar hinted hed be back in baltimore this year.

another article predicts Lamar will sign.

but to my knowledge he has yet to sign.

someone please correct me if I'm out to lunch or post a link please.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

I see the change in the name of the thread.   Lamar has signed?   I have not seen any reports, but I did see report  of a tweet where Lamar hinted hed be back in baltimore this year.

another article predicts Lamar will sign.

but to my knowledge he has yet to sign.

someone please correct me if I'm out to lunch or post a link please.

I think what happened is I created an OBJ signs with Ravens thread, and the mods for whatever puzzling reason decided to relocate the thread here in the Jackson thread. My guess is they conflated the two thread titles. Why they didn’t just leave it as two separate threads is beyond me. Not like there is any traffic here. Jackson didn’t sign if he did you would know it…

17 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I think what happened is I created an OBJ signs with Ravens thread, and the mods for whatever puzzling reason decided to relocate the thread here in the Jackson thread. My guess is they conflated the two thread titles. Why they didn’t just leave it as two separate threads is beyond me. Not like there is any traffic here. Jackson didn’t sign if he did you would know it…

Ok. 

I figured maybe there was something I was missing.

its all good.

in the end its looking like nobody is gonna give him a big pile of guaranteed cash.  At some point Lamar has to realize the demand for his services isnt what he thought it would be.

It seems like it should be getting at least or more than Aaron Rogers.

2 hours ago, taco breath said:

It seems like it should be getting at least or more than Aaron Rogers.

ok now that is crazy talk.  Rodgers has accomplished far more than Lamar has and its not even close.

even now at the end of his career rodgers numbers are better.   Granted, he likely only has one or two more good years left but I'd rather have an aging Rodgers than Jackson.

Five years, $260M.  So - $52M average.  Which is $1M per year higher than PHI QB Hurts just got. 

Anyone know if Jackson sign a new deal yet? 😴