Sign in to follow this  
wolves111

Post Season Thoughts on a No Football Sunday

So, I did a small sample size review (about 30 teams) of rosters that won leagues in Fuzzy's FF Football leagues this year. There are literally several hundred leagues featuring 10 and 12 team rosters, snake draft, auction, playoff leagues, etc. Some interesting observations.

The majority of league winners did not have Mahomes or Allen in the 10-team variety. There were a few on the 12 team rosters but not a lot. It was mostly mid-level guys taken in rounds 4-10. Gives some credibility to weepaws reluctance to draft a QB early. Although there weren't a lot of league winners with QB's taken after the 10th round. It appears in the 12 teem leagues the inability to secure more than one stud rb and wr, because of the watered-down talent availability, it made more sense to draft the top QB's in round 3-4. Not so in the 10 team leagues. They were dominated by teams who waited until after getting 2 rb's and a combination of 2 wr's or Kelce. He btw was on a lot of league winners. I personally passed on him in all of my leagues. Unfortunately.

Teams who picked one through three didn't fare well. McCaffrey, Taylor, and Kupp were the main contributors to their struggles. Can't prevent injuries but picking that high and missing is killer.

Teams who went wr, rb ,wr and rb ,wr, rb seemed to do well. Teams who went rb,rb,rb did not.

WR's in rounds 4-8, and rb's in rounds 6-10, which were mostly rookies and written off veterans like Jacobs, were good picks.

F/A tight ends did well. Team defenses didn't seem to matter much nor did kickers as in most years.

Derrick Henry and Kelce continued to defy age related performance decline. Tyreek Hill's adp was way too low as was the aforementioned Jacobs. Joe Mixon was drafted way too high.

Trevor Lawrence looks like a next QB to breakout. 

Anyone else have any observations?

6 hours ago, wolves111 said:

Teams who picked one through three didn't fare well. McCaffrey, Taylor, and Kupp were the main contributors to their struggles. Can't prevent injuries but picking that high and missing is killer.

McCaffrey was a cause for struggle? In what way?

Not a lot of league championship winners with double digit round qbs at the helm, but there was some.  

Mr ff MVP G Smith wasn’t even a draft pick, he probably wasn’t even picked up until week three or so.  

It’s not a surprise that a lot of league champions own 4-9 round qbs , the ideal of drafting a Qb in the double digit rounds is to hold until a better one comes around. This past season on two of my playoff teams that was the Dak.  

It was posted many times before last season that it would be a winning move to draft Henry.  

And those double digit round TE were  very good this past season,  no reason to change any draft strategy going into 2023.  

God Bless OP.  

7 hours ago, wolves111 said:

I took Justin Jefferson #1 overall and got crucified for it. I also won the league 😁

5 minutes ago, League Champion said:

I took Justin Jefferson #1 overall and got crucified for it. I also won the league 😁

Was your league championship in Week 17, when he went 1/15/0, or in Week 18, when he posted 4/38/0?

there is no I in team Axe.

if he won it would not be just because of one player.

especially not in this case.   but that player did have a good year and would have played a role in getting him at least to the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

McCaffrey was a cause for struggle? In what way?

He finished 6th in scoring after being taken first in the majority of leagues I reviewed. Ekeler and Jefferson outscored him as did several QB's. Kelce was right behind him. He had a good year but not worthy of the #1 pick.

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

Congrats l was able to get him in a half ppr , I took him with my first pick # 4 overall, top three picks were Rbs.  

Mccaffery wasn’t drafted overall #1 in any of my four leagues, he was a first round pick.  

2 hours ago, wolves111 said:

He finished 6th in scoring after being taken first in the majority of leagues I reviewed. Ekeler and Jefferson outscored him as did several QB's. Kelce was right behind him. He had a good year but not worthy of the #1 pick.

I wouldn't say a player was a cause of my team's struggle because I picked him first and he finished 6th. 

14 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

I wouldn't say a player was a cause of my team's struggle because I picked him first and he finished 6th. 

agreed.

if you draft a player first overall, you expect them to finish top 2 or 3 at the position.

if they finish top 3 and you are losing...... you are not losing because of them.  its because other picks have been duds.

if they finish outside of the top 10 at that position and you drafted them at #1 overall, then you may have cost your team with your pick.   different story there.

Teams who went wr, rb ,wr and rb ,wr, rb seemed to do well. Teams who went rb,rb,rb did not.

I went: RB, RB, WR, WR, RB & TE.

Not a lot of league championship winners with double digit round qbs at the helm, but there was some. 

I won my 'ship with a FA QB - MIA QB Tua.  (The original drafter took him as their QB2; their QB1 was Mahomes.  He cut Tua after the second concussion.) 

8 minutes ago, Bills04 said:

I went: RB, RB, WR, WR, RB & TE.

I won my 'ship with a FA QB - MIA QB Tua.  (The original drafter took him as their QB2; their QB1 was Mahomes.  He cut Tua after the second concussion.) 

True. This was the first year that I went zero RB. I went Jefferson, Ceedee and somehow Kelce fell to the 3rd round for me, I think I took Etienne or Hall in the fourth, Jalen Hurts later on. 

Traded for Kenneth Walker and grabbed Pierce late. 😊

Good Times! 🎉