Torn

2023 General Discussion

24 minutes ago, Torn said:

Well, I guess I asked for it.  😵     Points taken. LOL   I guess I'm a sucker for "value" and couldn't see him linger any longer. At least I waited until round 27 and can dump him at will without remorse. 

I’m sure he has some upside, though his power numbers also predictably fell moving to Detroit last year. 🤷🏻‍♂️. I like to discuss and debate 😁

I really do think a lot of it has to do with how many great Ss options there are. 

MY SNIPE REPORT:

We do this to each other every year, ...this is why the league is so great--how many years has it been now? Definitely over 20!

Round 3, mini-snipe--hoping for Arozarena, Bieber, Olson, Mullens, or Harris, ...didn't get A SINGLE ONE of them, and had to change my plan to Realmuto. Not a big issue.

Rounds 12/13 - I teamed up with Varga to SNIPE MYSELF 🤕. At 12.07, instead of just taking Pablo Lopez, cuz I got paranoid about becoming Saves/Holds compromised, I stupidly opted for Kimbrel--just because his numbers look nice this spring (but lower pitch velocity). When Varga took Pablo ONE PICK BEFORE ME, it knocked my whole priority list out of whack, and went with Gallegos (which is fine), and then took Grissom. Yeah, I knew that he had just been announced to be sent to AAA, ...but the Rotoworld blurb began with "Wow!....blah, blah blah". I'm banking on him being up in the majors before mid-May and playing every day for the Braves. Can he beat out Orlando Arcia? I think so. Still, I probably could've snagged Grissom in the 15th round. Duh!

Wanted to get a swiss army knife at 23.06, but Harry Sniped me with the Morel pick at 23.04. No big disaster, I ended up with Rengifo and Oswald Cabrera at later rounds, ...so I nailed down some line-up flexibility there. The  REAL disaster was yet to come, ...

After the Dylan Carlson pick at 23.06, I was facing a 36-draft-spot-drought (keepers) and I was riding as a passenger on a LONG car trip home. So, I decided to compile a list of about 25+ priority players. After the next 21 picks, I hadn't lost out on too much, ...just Wesneski (Talent Scout), and my #1 choice from my checklist=A.J. Puk (Isotope). I felt pretty fortunate, as there weren't all that many picks left till my turn, with Reynaldo Lopez, Jared Schuster, Vesia, and Loiasiga all still available at the top of my list--BANG, BANG, BANG, & BANG! All sniped!

Not sure if Rengifo will end up worth anything. He had a nice spring and *should* play full-time, but that might crash and burn on me. Then, of course, there was the epic 27th round snipe--where WW and I sniped our Commish--sorry about that Joe.

Interesting thing about those late round, VERY solid looking pitchers, ...specifically, ...Ashcraft, Wesneski, Shuster, and Whitlock. In yesterday's $100 Yahoo! league 12-team H2H draft, I initially waited on the SPs, but got Urias, Gallen (Fried was sniped by ONE pick), Kirby (refused to pass him up for a dang mediocre closer), and Luzardo. After a long drought without picking up added SPs, I seemed to have a clear path to any three of those 4 solid young guys--I took Whitlock in the 19th round, Ashcraft in the 20th round, and Wesneski in the 21st round. I passed on Shuster altogether, ...but found that to be EXTREMELY painful. And to my shock, he was never drafted. 😕 Did I leave off the RIGHT guy? And in light of the solid top 4 SPs, did I fill in my starter roster by scarfing up those three youngsters, after a Round 14 through 18 drought of ZERO SPs? Please feel free to text me your comments.

A non-SNIPE footnote: After Julio was drafted by Stromb in Round 10 last year, I snagged him in Round 16 a few days later in my Yahoo! prize league draft--TURNED OUT NICE. This year, Jordan Walker went in Round 10, picked by White Wonder, and I snagged JW yesterday at pick 17.3. Will I be happy in September?

It’s also possible that Baez turns it around and has a better year.  @27th round he’s certainly worth a shot.

and I would echo the other responses - Ks & OBP with lack of SB.

@Ghost there is little to no way that Grissom would have lasted.  I may have taken him over Lowe in the 14th and would have taken him in the 15th.

definitely regret having taken t he 12th slot.  I miscounted who was going to be available.

missed on Seager, Abreu, W Smith (CA), France, Grissom, Buehler, Herget, Graterol/Vesia, Whitlock & Baz

1 hour ago, Ghost96 said:

MY SNIPE REPORT:

A non-SNIPE footnote: After Julio was drafted by Stromb in Round 10 last year, I snagged him in Round 16 a few days later in my Yahoo! prize league draft--TURNED OUT NICE. This year, Jordan Walker went in Round 10, picked by White Wonder, and I snagged JW yesterday at pick 17.3. Will I be happy in September?

I didn’t want to take Walker quite that early but I have learned , especially in this league, that it’s better to just grab the guys you want than to try to squeeze extra value. I had no 13th so at best I could have tried to wait until 12.06 and risk being disappointed. If he works out as a keeper, I’m sure he will be well worth a 7th next season. 

As for my own snipes, I definitely had players I wanted and missed but none really hurt all that much. Torn got me with Stone but I simply took Taj Bradley who I like more just I expect Stone to have a more immediate impact. Pete Fairbanks was probably the one reliever I really wanted that I wasn’t able to get. montero to a lesser extend because I have Pressly. Missed Brooks Raley and Mchugh late but not a big deal. Holds guys pop up all year long. 

On the hitter side, I did really want Yandy Diaz and tried to trade for him after he was picked 😆 

I think I was more surprised to get most of the players I wanted early on. I was praying for Chisholm to keep falling for example. Had McClanahan and Jeffrey Springs targeted (not just as a Rays homer). 

I could have gone a different direction from Jansen… and in hindsight I didn’t like not having a 5th round pick because of Edman although I’m not sure I missed anyone because of it. 

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

I didn’t want to take Walker quite that early but I have learned , especially in this league, that it’s better to just grab the guys you want than to try to squeeze extra value. 

Ghost can attest that Walker would not have lasted much longer as we had a deal in place if he made it a couple more picks. I was trying to repeat the Rodriguez pick from the year before.  

It was an interesting draft.  I had too many extended breaks due to expensive keeper costs and some trades, but happy with the way it turned out.

Good luck this year

11 minutes ago, strombn said:

Ghost can attest that Walker would not have lasted much longer as we had a deal in place if he made it a couple more picks. I was trying to repeat the Rodriguez pick from the year before.  

It was an interesting draft.  I had too many extended breaks due to expensive keeper costs and some trades, but happy with the way it turned out.

Good luck this year

You sniped me like 5 times.   This is likely a kiss of death for your team since i loved a bunch of the picks and I know nothing.  

11 minutes ago, TalentScout said:

You sniped me like 5 times.   This is likely a kiss of death for your team since i loved a bunch of the picks and I know nothing.  

😆😬

I feel like I used to know this but where can you see the waiver priority order? Not that I’m looking to place claims but I’m having trouble finding it and feel like it used to be very easily visible. 

32 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I feel like I used to know this but where can you see the waiver priority order? Not that I’m looking to place claims but I’m having trouble finding it and feel like it used to be very easily visible. 

I believe waiver wire is the reverse of the draft order to start the year

1 hour ago, strombn said:

I believe waiver wire is the reverse of the draft order to start the year

that was my assumption but then as the order shifts, I think were was a place to see it

EDIT:  never mind, found it under League > Managers  :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, DisturbedFan said:

The waiver order is part of the standings.

:lol:  amazing!   im looking under every tab and sub category for it and its right there in front of my face on the main page.

well, anyone who wants to ignore that and find it the hard way can find it under the list of league managers :D

(to be fair to myself I may have missed it earlier when I was using the website on my phone)

On 3/26/2023 at 7:52 PM, WhiteWonder said:

Glad you mentioned this. Yahoo's waiver order default was a head scratcher. It seemed pretty random. I was given priority 12, but I have no idea why. I didn't draft at #1. I didn't finish as #1 last season. No clue why I would have lowest priority. Others were out of whack as well. 

I just re-ordered WW priority to reflect the order that we picked our draft slot in. This would reflect the actual end of year standings form last season. 

1 hour ago, Torn said:

Glad you mentioned this. Yahoo's waiver order default was a head scratcher. It seemed pretty random. I was given priority 12, but I have no idea why. I didn't draft at #1. I didn't finish as #1 last season. No clue why I would have lowest priority. Others were out of whack as well. 

I just re-ordered WW priority to reflect the order that we picked our draft slot in. This would reflect the actual end of year standings form last season. 

I believe it initially sets it up on reverse order of when you sign up...

24 minutes ago, TalentScout said:

We should go to FAAB next year.  Not a big deal at all but I think it is a better system and more fun.  

not a bad idea although I find that in this league the waiver wire comes into play very little. It's only the initial post draft period and then if a player is dropped.  Unlike weekly FF waivers. 

Everything else is just next day free agency. 

6 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

not a bad idea although I find that in this league the waiver wire comes into play very little. It's only the initial post draft period and then if a player is dropped.  Unlike weekly FF waivers. 

Everything else is just next day free agency. 

I definitely agree that it is a minor change but I think it is more fun with FAAB.  

On 3/28/2023 at 11:50 AM, TalentScout said:

We should go to FAAB next year.  Not a big deal at all but I think it is a better system and more fun.  

I'm cool with that. A nice twist overall that doesn't drastically affect rules, lineups, etc. I play in one of the Yahoo pay leagues and they use FAAB by default. Adds another nuance of strategy to things. Would like to have a few others weigh in, but happy to implement it if we can reach a majority.

I'm fine with moving over to FAAB; I agree with WhiteWonder where I don't think it comes into play too much but it's a nice nuance as Torn mentioned.