Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Tim Lincecum - Hall of Fame?

Recommended Posts

 

Yes. 

10 and 4 in the playoffs - 2 World Series wins - 2 CY Youngs back to back -

 

Before you say yes or no, remember these ūü§°s are in the HOF¬†
 

Catfish Hunter
Bob Lemon
Bruce Sutter
Bert Blyleven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

halls of fame suck, so put everyone in for all i care.  its just a bunch of useless and boring debates.  the very worst of sports.

i look at it as a primitive version of a china social credit score.  you get graded by a panel and slotted if you did well and behaved correctly.  its gross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

halls of fame suck, so put everyone in for all i care.  its just a bunch of useless and boring debates.  the very worst of sports.

i look at it as a primitive version of a china social credit score.  you get graded by a panel and slotted if you did well and behaved correctly.  its gross.

I agree 100%. MLB is the worst by far.  Just trying to bring up a non-political interesting topic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should have adopted a monikeer.  Catfish was taken, but how about Bullhead?  I think it would help his chances. He could really have confused things if he went for alliteration in his nick name and called himself Lefty Lincecum since he is not a lefty.  He could have also used Face shot as a nick name.  NMick names make the Hall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, edjr said:

 

Yes. 

10 and 4 in the playoffs - 2 World Series wins - 2 CY Youngs back to back -

 

Before you say yes or no, remember these ūü§°s are in the HOF¬†
 

Catfish Hunter
Bob Lemon
Bruce Sutter
Bert Blyleven

Hard to believe you used Catfish.  Wow .  5x WS champion, more than twice as many wins, better era, twice the WAR. You gotta be kidding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Hard to believe you used Catfish.  Wow .  5x WS champion, more than twice as many wins, better era, twice the WAR. You gotta be kidding. 

Hunter's career is all about being in the right place at the right time. He muddled through with the Kansas City and early Oakland Athletics for half a decade, then (as that team became the best in baseball for three seasons) rose the rising tide to the top of the pitching world. His ERA looked better than it was thanks to terrific defense and a good ballpark in which to pitch. His records looked great because they reflected superb run support and a very good overall team.

Amid that streak of great luck, free agency came to MLB, and Hunter was the first truly famous player to sign a free-agent mega-deal. He signed with the Yankees, a choice that brought him two more World Series rings (for a total of five) and all but sealed his Cooperstown case, despite his never really being a sensational pitcher on his own merit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

And Curt Schilling is NOT in the Hall.  Cuz Libtard media.

:thumbsup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

Timmy - No effin way

Curt - Still No

Schilling:

11-2 with a 2.23 ERA in 19 career postseason starts, After surrendering six earned runs in his 1993 World Series debut, Schilling gave up just five more across his next 41‚ÖĒ¬†innings in the Fall Classic, helping the Diamondbacks (2001) and Red Sox (2004 and 2007) win titles.

Schilling was 3-0 with a 1.37 ERA in five career elimination games, most famously sporting a bloody sock as he helped Boston force a Game 7 in the legendary 2004 ALCS. His 56 strikeouts during Arizona's 2001 run remains the most ever in a single postseason.

From 1988-2007, Schilling's 83 complete games trail only Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure how you can leave out Schilling. He was consistently good to great throughout his 20 year career, and he is without question the best postseason starter in baseball history.

But he hurt some peoples’ feelings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Timmy was excellent, but i don't think he had the consistency throughout his career to get in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

He should have adopted a monikeer.  Catfish was taken, but how about Bullhead?  I think it would help his chances. He could really have confused things if he went for alliteration in his nick name and called himself Lefty Lincecum since he is not a lefty.  He could have also used Face shot as a nick name.  NMick names make the Hall. 

Timmy was THE FREAK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

I’m not sure how you can leave out Schilling. He was consistently good to great throughout his 20 year career, and he is without question the best postseason starter in baseball history.

But he hurt some peoples’ feelings.

I think you are overrating his consistency. He had a few year stretch from 01 to 04 that was great. A couple of great K years in the middle of his career. There are just too many of his peers ahead of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

He should have adopted a monikeer.  Catfish was taken, but how about Bullhead?  I think it would help his chances. He could really have confused things if he went for alliteration in his nick name and called himself Lefty Lincecum since he is not a lefty.  He could have also used Face shot as a nick name.  NMick names make the Hall. 

Timmy was THE FREAK

Also, he was the most exciting pitcher in the MLB for a few years and was something that modern baseball had never seen. Considering some of the others that have gotten the nod, I say Why Not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Timmy was THE FREAK

Also, he was the most exciting pitcher in the MLB for a few years and was something that modern baseball had never seen. Considering some of the others that have gotten the nod, I say Why Not?

I support his candidacy, for all that is worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I support his candidacy, for all that is worth.

Yup, MLB should induct ‚Äúlegends‚ÄĚ and not just stat chasers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Herbivore said:

I think you are overrating his consistency. He had a few year stretch from 01 to 04 that was great. A couple of great K years in the middle of his career. There are just too many of his peers ahead of him.

After 2001 (the last 7 years of his career) he was superb.  Guess what changed in MLB in 2001?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MLB HOF is, at the same time, watered down AND doesn't have the best players ever included.

It's trash and I stopped caring. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was dominating until the arm problems. Everyone knew that his quick twitch delivery would cause issues at some point, and it did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow Dale Murphy is not.

Burn it down and start over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Hard to believe you used Catfish.  Wow .  5x WS champion, more than twice as many wins, better era, twice the WAR. You gotta be kidding. 

Career WAR:

Lincecum - 19.5

Catfish - 40.9

Schilling - 80.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schilling has the highest WAR of any pitcher not in the Hall of Fame.

(not including Clemens which is due to steroids)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patented Phil said:

After 2001 (the last 7 years of his career) he was superb.  Guess what changed in MLB in 2001?

no. he was superb in 01, 02, & 04, pretty good in 06. the others he was not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol at Ed making fun of me suggesting Bobby Abreu should be in the HOF but then saying Lincecum should be.  Dude had 3 good years.  Charlie Morton a future Hall of Famer?

Schilling probably should be though 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

no. he was superb in 01, 02, & 04, pretty good in 06. the others he was not good.

2003 was very good, but he missed some time to injury so he didn’t compile.  But his ratios were all excellent.  He was injured throughout the 2005 and 2007 seasons.  The guy was 38 and 40 years old.  But in 2006 he put together a great, maybe even superb season:

Schilling - 2006 season - age 39:

W/L:  15-7

ERA:  3.97

SO9:  8.1

BB9:  1.2 (MLB leader)

SO/BB:  6.54 (MLB leader, and the 3rd best result of his career - in a stat where he was one of the best all-time.  It was also the 35th best single season result in MLB history at that point)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing Schilling has always complained about is that he was disadvantaged as he never took steroids.  That’s why I mentioned 2001, because that was when MLB started enforcing steroid testing, and suddenly Schilling went from good to superb overnight.

Schilling is hurt by playing for some very bad teams, so his won/loss record isn’t all that great - a stupid stat by the way.  I already showed his HOF WAR numbers.  Baseball-Reference's wins above average (WAA) compares a player's performance to the league average instead of to a theoretical replacement player, as in WAR. By that standard, Schilling's 54.1 ranks 10th best in MLB history, ahead of such names as Josh Gibson, Steve Carlton and Warren Spahn.

Let’s compare Schilling to Tom Glavine, who sailed into the Hall with 91.9% of the vote in his first year on the ballot, in 2014. The two pitchers operated during almost the exact same period. Glavine does hold huge advantages in starts, innings pitched and victories, but here is how the two compare in some other areas.

Pitching WAR: Schilling 80.7 | Glavine 74.0
Total WAR: Glavine 81.5 | Schilling 79.9
WAA: Schilling 54.1 | Glavine 39.1
ERA+: Schilling 127 | Glavine 118
FIP: Schilling 3.23 | Glavine 3.95
K/BB: Schilling 4.4 | Glavine 1.7

It’s a focking joke Curt Schilling is not in the HOF.  I guess performance isn’t as important as the feewings of petty reporters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lincecum was awesome but fell off too fast.

Lincecum - no HOF.

Schilling - yes HOF

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Lincecum was awesome but for fell off too fast.

Lincecum - no HOF.

Schilling - yes HOF

Put ‚Äėem both in. And Bonds and Clemens¬†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Lincecum is in, his teammate Matt Cain probably should be too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll say this about Lincecum - he was great for the game and absolutely electric for that two year period.  I wish I got to see him live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

If Lincecum is in, his teammate Matt Cain probably should be too

Oh yeah, can‚Äôt tell the history of baseball without mentioning Matt Cain ūüôĄ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

One thing Schilling has always complained about is that he was disadvantaged as he never took steroids.  That’s why I mentioned 2001, because that was when MLB started enforcing steroid testing, and suddenly Schilling went from good to superb overnight.

Schilling is hurt by playing for some very bad teams, so his won/loss record isn’t all that great - a stupid stat by the way.  I already showed his HOF WAR numbers.  Baseball-Reference's wins above average (WAA) compares a player's performance to the league average instead of to a theoretical replacement player, as in WAR. By that standard, Schilling's 54.1 ranks 10th best in MLB history, ahead of such names as Josh Gibson, Steve Carlton and Warren Spahn.

Let’s compare Schilling to Tom Glavine, who sailed into the Hall with 91.9% of the vote in his first year on the ballot, in 2014. The two pitchers operated during almost the exact same period. Glavine does hold huge advantages in starts, innings pitched and victories, but here is how the two compare in some other areas.

Pitching WAR: Schilling 80.7 | Glavine 74.0
Total WAR: Glavine 81.5 | Schilling 79.9
WAA: Schilling 54.1 | Glavine 39.1
ERA+: Schilling 127 | Glavine 118
FIP: Schilling 3.23 | Glavine 3.95
K/BB: Schilling 4.4 | Glavine 1.7

It’s a focking joke Curt Schilling is not in the HOF.  I guess performance isn’t as important as the feewings of petty reporters.

Glavine merely has 89 more wins. To me, Schilling is close, but out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd put Rob Dibble, Randy Myers, and Norm Charlton in first. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×