Sign in to follow this  
League Champion

Walmart to shutter Portland locations just months after CEO’s warnings on crime

4 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

I know, it is pretty hilarious that closing a Cracker Barrel is being blamed on crime.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cracker-barrel-latest-portland-casualty-stores-shuttering-crime-wave

Cracker Barrel latest Portland casualty for stores shuttering amid crime wave

A Portland Cracker Barrel abruptly shut down this week, with employees reporting that the closure is due to security issues in the area. 

"There's a lot of theft," local man Steve Goodwin told KGW when news of the closure spread in town. "People on drugs."

Cracker Barrel confirmed to Fox News Digital on Wednesday that its location at the Jantzen Beach mall shuttered, explaining the company made the decision after evaluating "the performance" of the store. 

"As a standard course of business, we continually evaluate the performance of our stores, using various criteria to ensure we are meeting the needs of our guests and our business. With that, we have made the difficult decision to close our Jantzen Beach, Oregon Cracker Barrel location," a representative told Fox News Digital. 

The statement did not say which criteria was used to evaluate the store, and noted the chain is now focused on "assisting our employees during this transition."

Employees, however, were able to shed more light on the closure. They explained to KGW that they were called to an emergency meeting held by management on Monday and told the closure was due to security issues, KGW reported. 

The area of Portland is littered with drug paraphernalia, clothes tags on the streets, and abandoned shopping carts, according to the local outlet. 

The closure came as a shock to diners who tried to visit the location on Tuesday, and other locals who thought non-violent crimes would not impact businesses. 

"I would think a retail restaurant wouldn't be impacted that much by the crime and drug problems and that sort of thing," neighbor Ron Schmidt told KGW. 

Portland has been struggling with rampant crime in recent years. 

Researchers for the California Partnership for Safe Communities compiled crime data from Portland earlier this year, specifically examining homicides and non-fatal shootings from 2019 to 2021. The data found that there was a 144% increase in homicides from January 2019 to June 2021 while non-fatal shootings increase by 241% from January 2019 to December 2021. 

PORTLAND, THE SITE OF MASSIVE GEORGE FLOYD PROTESTS, HAS BEEN RAVAGED BY VIOLENT CRIME SINCE

The violent crimes began ticking up in 2019, with 36 homicides that year compared to 26 in 2018. The city had held a 20-year average of 28 homicides per year, with 2004 as the outlier at 29 homicides.

That average was soon obliterated when the data showed 2020 notched a 58% increase in homicides compared to the year prior, at 57 deaths, and 2021 recorded a 54% increase, at 88 homicides. The number of homicides in 2021 was a 238% increase from numbers recorded in 2018. 

Crime issues have prompted other businesses in the city to close or move to safer areas with more foot traffic. 

"Being downtown was a big part of the identity of the store," Jason Leivian, owner of Floating World Comics, told KPTV this week when explaining he moved the store from downtown Portland to a shopping mall in the city. 

Leivian said that he's watched crime tick up in downtown Portland since 2020, and noted that foot traffic has also dwindled, motivating him to make the move. 

PORTLAND MAN, 82, DIES AFTER UNPROVOKED ATTACK AT BUS STOP, POLICE SAY

"I don’t think it’s coming back anytime soon, maybe in a couple of years or so," Leivian said. "But who knows? I waited two years and this is where we’re at now."

Crime has also directly impacted some business owners in the city. The owner of restaurant Hello India described how thieves broke into her establishment earlier this summer and stole everything from electronics, cash, and alcohol to serving trays. The crime has left her struggling after already coping with setbacks from the coronavirus. 

"Coming back from COVID was very, very difficult. On top of that, this kind of activities" will mean restaurants will have to "shut the door" or have a solid backup support plan to survive, Mehar Ali told KATU earlier this month. She said she will continue operating the restaurant, but called on locals to "help me out" and continue ordering food. 

2 hours ago, Bill E. said:

I did not read the entire thread but race has nothing to do with it.  Dirtbags of all races are looting their way through big cities that are soft on crime regardless of the race of the dirtbag, liberal D.A., Mayor, city counsel, chief of police etc . 

like I've said several times.  when the cops fail to do their jobs, the public eventually turns to the mafia to hunt down criminals.

3 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

I know, it is pretty hilarious that closing a Cracker Barrel is being blamed on crime.

Do you have a link?

6 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

The video that Justin posted

So they quickly mention they couldn't bounce back from the pandemic although it is 2023 and pandemic has been over for a while (very liberal area blame it on Lib shut downs and restrictions).  Then Justins Fox link has employees saying it is about crime.  Seems to me management and owners are so liberal they don't want to say it is because of crime. 

So they just randomly shut down locations cold turkey.  They couldn't bounce back from the pandemic so randomly one day far removed from covid they slapped a closed sign on their door.  Riiight...

Either way you can blame it on Lib policies welcoming crime or being so overbearing with covid restrictions they ran businesses out of business.   I don't doubt that insane liberal covid crap ruined many businesses.   

Isn't some far stretch to believe crime has a hand in change in the NW.  Amazon took employees out of downtown Seattle because of crime.  Many other instances shared here show places getting up and moving because of crime.  Maybe these cracker barrel locations had nothing to do with drugs and crime killing business.  Maybe the employees are lying.  But it isn't some crazy leap to make when so many other closings or moves in WA and OR were due to crime and drugs.  

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

So they quickly mention they couldn't bounce back from the pandemic although it is 2023 and pandemic has been over for a while (very liberal area blame it on Lib shut downs and restrictions).  Then Justins Fox link has employees saying it is about crime.  Seems to me management and owners are so liberal they don't want to say it is because of crime. 

So they just randomly shut down locations cold turkey.  They couldn't bounce back from the pandemic so randomly one day far removed from covid they slapped a closed sign on their door.  Riiight...

Either way you can blame it on Lib policies welcoming crime or being so overbearing with covid restrictions they ran businesses out of business.   I don't doubt that insane liberal covid crap ruined many businesses.   

Isn't some far stretch to believe crime has a hand in change in the NW.  Amazon took employees out of downtown Seattle because of crime.  Many other instances shared here show places getting up and moving because of crime.  Maybe these cracker barrel locations had nothing to do with drugs and crime killing business.  Maybe the employees are lying.  But it isn't some crazy leap to make when so many other closings or moves in WA and OR were due to crime and drugs.  

I surmise that Florida really p!sses off the liberal totatlitarians....its just has to be a huge thorn in their side....😆

• Like 1

Weve got articles where dilligent reporting digs up that it is about crime.  Hauck is just being obtuse.

Lots of places in Portland have closed due to crime so people lost their jobs and can’t afford to go out to eat. But it’s not the crime. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

A Portland Cracker Barrel abruptly shut down this week, with employees reporting that the closure is due to security issues in the area. 

"There's a lot of theft," local man Steve Goodwin told KGW when news of the closure spread in town. "People on drugs."

Employees, however, were able to shed more light on the closure. They explained to KGW that they were called to an emergency meeting held by management on Monday and told the closure was due to security issues, KGW reported. 

The area of Portland is littered with drug paraphernalia, clothes tags on the streets, and abandoned shopping carts, according to the local outlet. 

A week after that Cracker Barrel is closed, crime in the area is down 50% Obesity is down 90%.. The community couldn’t be happier.

The state of Washington has almost reached its goal of eliminating the scourge of Cracker Barrel. There is only one left in the state!

Gotta love it that a Cracker Barrel closing is big news on Fox. Tells you where the viewers like to eat.

1 minute ago, dogcows said:

A week after that Cracker Barrel is closed, crime in the area is down 50% Obesity is down 90%.. The community couldn’t be happier.

The state of Washington has almost reached its goal of eliminating the scourge of Cracker Barrel. There is only one left in the state!

Gotta love it that a Cracker Barrel closing is big news on Fox. Tells you where the viewers like to eat.

Yes Comrade......we are winning the minds and the bodies.....people are meant to be ruled....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill E. said:

I did not read the entire thread but race has nothing to do with it.  Dirtbags of all races are looting their way through big cities that are soft on crime regardless of the race of the dirtbag, liberal D.A., Mayor, city counsel, chief of police etc . 

This is what happens when "Good" or "Traditional" liberals stand by and do nothing.  They're all talk and no action as the zealots, woke fanatics and freaks have overtaken their party.

And yet, they STILL vote for Democrats.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

The pandemic was what started the rising food and labor costs that were cited.  Biden of course made it worse but that's not specific to Portland.

Justin's link was about a different store that closed in August.   He got me, that one does look to be blamed on crime, drug activity in particular and a quick search seems to show that area has been bad for awhile.     I'm skeptical crime has anything to do with these ones which seem to be in the suburbs anyway.   Did you see the 100 year old people that were interviewed?  Do you think they're going to go to high crime areas?

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Fock off, I didn't say anything about Republicans outside of the idiots on this forum

My bad.  You covered all but that one.

52 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Typical liberal elitist. Makes fun of people with less, unless they agree with him. I’m sure you’re raking it in. Lol. 

1 hour ago, dogcows said:

no one cares about your opinions / insanity / jokes.

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Nailed it.

If you look at Democrats form 70's-90's they  believed in law and order and a strong border.  They believed in a stronger safety net than conservatives but they would never have supported the leftist thinking of today.  Letting deadly drugs and unknown illegals flood the country and armed robbery being reduced to misdemeanors.   But it is like yesterday's Dems believe if they speak out or push back against today's woke leftists they are in a sense admitting that their positions back then are wrong so they keep quiet or throw some support to the woke by attacking Republicans that believe most of what they stood for in the 70's and 80's.  It is insane.

My Father is a perfect example.  He is in his 80's and was a Union Democrat his whole life.  If I would have done what the woke are doing now "protesting" against police and committing acts of violence I would still be grounded.    But if I bring up the soft on crime and immigration situation that Biden created he jumps in about how Trump was an azzhole and January 6th.  He would have flipped out back then had any of this have been happening. 

2 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

My Father is a perfect example.  He is in his 80's and was a Union Democrat his whole life.  If I would have done what the woke are doing now "proesting" against police and committing acts of violence I would still be grounded.    But if I bring up the soft on crime and immigration situation that Biden created he jumps in about how Trump was an azzhole and January 6th.  He would have flipped out back then had any of this have been happening. 

This is spot on.  My grampa is an old school Dem.  But he is 90, he only gets his news and info from TV.  If he actually knew what the party was about now he would be shocked and disgusted.  But he would counter anything brought up with how bad Trump is because that is what they pound into gullible viewers on CNN.  Joe is a great old man nothing shady about him and his family.  Trump is deplorable.  He doesn't grasp the fact that media is about ratings and pushing agenda not reporting news.  At this point he isn't going to research and underatand that.  So it is what it is.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

This is spot on.  My grampa is an old school Dem.  But he is 90, he only gets his news and info from TV.  If he actually knew what the party was about now he would be shocked and disgusted.  But he would counter anything brought up with how bad Trump is because that is what they pound into gullible viewers on CNN.  Joe is a great old man nothing shady about him and his family.  Trump is deplorable.  He doesn't grasp the fact that media is about ratings and pushing agenda not reporting news.  At this point he isn't going to research and underatand that.  So it is what it is.  

Yep no changing it.  

4 hours ago, dogcows said:

A balanced diet of veggies and fentanyl will help keep the unwanted pounds off.    Portland is the new Shangri-La. 

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

yup.  the crazed democrats all refuse to even listen to an alternative opinion.  they are hardliner extremists.

8 hours ago, TimHauck said:

First 2 were blamed primarily on rising food and labor costs.  Is there a lot of crime at the focking Cracker Barrel and Jewish deli?

The videos of the criminals at the clothing store weren’t who the GC righties thought they were.  Which is a point I made earlier in similar threads: if the issue is “organized” shoplifting, it may not be “libs” that are the problem.   This store was also in a mall and malls have been dying for decades.  She still has another store in Portland.

Right on cue…. 😆

11 hours ago, RLLD said:

That is not the dance.

First deny, then when caught.....minimize by saying "its just that one store" or "its isolated" and as it spreads declare it to be a "right wing conspiracy theory" and as it surges....blame Republicans....rinse.....repeat....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

yup.  the crazed democrats all refuse to even listen to an alternative opinion.  they are hardliner extremists.

The Liberals of today are mentally ill and incapable of perceiving and acknowledging reality.  That’s how you get a CNN reporter saying, “This is a mostly peaceful protest” in the middle of a riot with a building on fire behind him.  I’d recommend that they get psychiatric help, but most shrinks are Libtards just like them.

3 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

The Liberals of today are mentally ill and incapable of perceiving and acknowledging reality.  That’s how you get a CNN reporter saying, “This is a mostly peaceful protest” in the middle of a riot with a building on fire behind him.  I’d recommend that they get psychiatric help, but most shrinks are Libtards just like them.

Sadly this, up is down and left is right. Can't reason with that brand of stupid.

• Like 1

Crappy restaurant goes out of business. Junky used clothing store in a mall goes out of business. Thousands of other businesses doing well. Do the business owners accept the verdict of capitalism that they couldn’t compete in the marketplace? Hell, no. They blame the liberals. Maybe they should try pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.

9 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I guess this is that magical moment in your life where you go from being stupid to a conspiracy theory nut job  Let me help… ask yourself “Why would a business close and blame it on crime if that wasn’t the case?”  I can’t wait to hear this.

3 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

I guess this is that magical moment in your life where you go from being stupid to a conspiracy theory nut job 

You seem to be speaking from experience.

7 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

I guess this is that magical moment in your life where you go from being stupid to a conspiracy theory nut job  Let me help… ask yourself “Why would a business close and blame it on crime if that wasn’t the case?”  I can’t wait to hear this.

The Cracker Barrels and deli in the videos did not blame it on crime.  Yes apparently there was a different Cracker Barrel that closed last year that allegedly blamed it on crime, as did the clothing store.

But if you’re just asking in general, it’s because people often make excuses. They may not want to accept that their business just wasn’t successful.  In the case of the clothing store, the mall location was an expansion.  Going from 1 store to 2 is a big difference.  With just 1 store she can do much of the work herself. A second location means hiring and training as she explained.  Heck it’s possible some of the theft was from employees, employee theft is a big problem for retail stores.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patented Phil said:

Right on cue…. 😆

1 hour ago, avoiding injuries said:

That was a wildly accurate prediction. 

Where did I say it was a conspiracy theory or blame it on Republicans? Just because someone “may not be a lib,” doesn’t mean they’re a Republican. 

10 minutes ago, dogcows said:

You seem to be speaking from experience.

Direct observation, numerous times, counts as experience.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Direct observation, numerous times, counts as experience.   

Doctor, have you ever done this surgery?

No, but I’ve watched it dozens of times!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Doctor, have you ever done this surgery?

No, but I’ve watched it dozens of times!

For every doctor, with every surgery, there is always a first time. 

You're not very good at this.  Maybe you should sit back and just read for awhile and try to figure it out.  

9 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

For every doctor, with every surgery, there is always a first time. 

You're not very good at this.  Maybe you should sit back and just read for awhile and try to figure it out.  

He may never have had sex, but he's watched it dozens of times.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Must have been those dreaded proud boys along with those qanon looters. :mad:

REI (the outdoors / camping retailer) flees as it closes all of its stores in Portland, citing break-ins and theft.  Whackjob geek club liberals deny everything.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/18/rei-to-close-portland-store-after-record-breaking-number-of-thefts-break-ins/

REI to close Portland store after record-breaking number of thefts, break-ins

By Allie Griffin April 18, 2023 2:24am

Adventure gear company REI plans to close its Portland store early next year after experiencing a record-breaking number of thefts and break-ins, according to a report.

REI said its store in Portland’s Pearl District “had its highest number of break-ins and thefts in two decades, despite actions to provide extra security” in an internal email obtained by the Seattle Times.

The company also said in the email that it had “outgrown” the location, which opened in 2004, and that the building needed “significant investment” to mitigate undisclosed issues.

REI spokesperson Megan Behrbaum told the local paper that the company spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in increased security measures for the Portland store last year, but still suffered numerous break-ins, including a shocking Black Friday incident in which a car plowed through the store’s glass doors.

The frightening episode was the store’s third break-in in just a week, the Seattle Times reported.

The company met with police following the November spectacle and has made more than $800,000 worth of security upgrades in 2022, Behrbaum said.

3 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

REI (the outdoors / camping retailer) flees as it closes all of its stores in Portland, citing break-ins and theft.  Whackjob geek club liberals deny everything.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/18/rei-to-close-portland-store-after-record-breaking-number-of-thefts-break-ins/

REI to close Portland store after record-breaking number of thefts, break-ins

By Allie Griffin April 18, 2023 2:24am

Adventure gear company REI plans to close its Portland store early next year after experiencing a record-breaking number of thefts and break-ins, according to a report.

REI said its store in Portland’s Pearl District “had its highest number of break-ins and thefts in two decades, despite actions to provide extra security” in an internal email obtained by the Seattle Times.

The company also said in the email that it had “outgrown” the location, which opened in 2004, and that the building needed “significant investment” to mitigate undisclosed issues.

REI spokesperson Megan Behrbaum told the local paper that the company spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in increased security measures for the Portland store last year, but still suffered numerous break-ins, including a shocking Black Friday incident in which a car plowed through the store’s glass doors.

The frightening episode was the store’s third break-in in just a week, the Seattle Times reported.

The company met with police following the November spectacle and has made more than $800,000 worth of security upgrades in 2022, Behrbaum said.

It’s ok. Dog Cows told us cities don’t want big retailers anyway. 

Detroit was a nice place to live as recently as 1973. It took twenty years of Coleman Young policies to really collapse. Once blight hits.... those neighborhoods don't ever recover. Ever. The blight just spreads to the neighborhood next to it.

Leftoid policies are societal cancer, with the same cancerous effect on communities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

Detroit was a nice place to live as recently as 1973. It took twenty years of Coleman Young policies to really collapse. Once blight hits.... those neighborhoods don't ever recover. Ever. The blight just spreads to the neighborhood next to it.

Leftoid policies are societal cancer, with the same cancerous effect on communities.

The collapse of Detroit didn’t have to happen.  With the right leadership, they could have turned their focus to Tech or Aircraft manufacturing.  They just sat back and watched it die.

• Like 1