Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

It’s Time to overreact to the Combine

I’ll start. Anthony Richardson- QB Florida. Could be the freakiest QB prospect yet. Like a cross between Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson. Ran a 4.43 at 6’4 244lbs. Also posted a 40 inch plus Vert. His throws on the deep ball drill were Josh Allen-esque. I don’t know if he has the other stuff QBs need to succeed but some team (I’d bet on the Raiders) takes him top ten…

And if he's anything like the other four on that list...

...we'll never hear of him again.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

And if he's anything like the other four on that list...

...we'll never hear of him again.

He'd make a hell of a TE 

I'm feeling very good about picking Richardson with my first overall pick. I play in a BJPG and VJPG league and he is going to go OFF!

1 minute ago, LaChup said:

I'm feeling very good about picking Richardson with my first overall pick. I play in a BJPG and VJPG league and he is going to go OFF!

I have #2 overall in a dynasty league. I need a QB and it's killing me. Young's size really worries me and Richardson just blew it up. I'm soo undecided. 

On 3/4/2023 at 6:20 PM, jrokh said:

I’ll start. Anthony Richardson- QB Florida. Could be the freakiest QB prospect yet. Like a cross between Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson. Ran a 4.43 at 6’4 244lbs. Also posted a 40 inch plus Vert. His throws on the deep ball drill were Josh Allen-esque. I don’t know if he has the other stuff QBs need to succeed but some team (I’d bet on the Raiders) takes him top ten…

I would much rather have a Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd. 

7 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

I would much rather have a Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Makes sense. Richardson is not for the risk averse…

10 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Anthony Richardson is still the guy who had a 54% completion percentage in college right?

Yes, still better than Josh Allen in college.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Yes, still better than Josh Allen in college.

Friendly bet that Josh Allen threw more touchdowns the past year than Richardson throws his whole career combined

Looking up J Allen , it shows that he had a completion percentage of 56.2 while with Wyoming,  That would indeed be higher.  And a better way to judge them based on division one schools   

Thanks.  

Only season that really matters about A Richardson’s completion percentage was last season which was 53.8.  

Didn’t play much before last season.   

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

Friendly bet that Josh Allen threw more touchdowns the past year than Richardson throws his whole career combined

No thanks. I am not making the case that Richardson will be good or not. The only case I actually made is he is an insane athlete, and some NFL team will take him in the top ten. I don’t know if he can read defenses or what his processing speed is. Regardless, saying he won’t be good because oh his comp % in college is dumb.

4 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

McDaniels took Tebow..... 

Don't count out Seattle, regardless of the Geno resigning....

Seattle is definitely taking Richardson. That explains the Geno contract. It all makes sense because Richardson is far from ready to be a starter. 

On 3/10/2023 at 3:40 PM, jrokh said:

No thanks. I am not making the case that Richardson will be good or not. The only case I actually made is he is an insane athlete, and some NFL team will take him in the top ten. I don’t know if he can read defenses or what his processing speed is. Regardless, saying he won’t be good because oh his comp % in college is dumb.

Conversely I would argue looking at his combine numbers (as some team will do) and letting that trump actual game film of watching Richardson (who is very bad at pre snap reads and decision making within the play) is dumber

On 3/10/2023 at 9:41 PM, League Champion said:

Seattle is definitely taking Richardson. That explains the Geno contract. It all makes sense because Richardson is far from ready to be a starter. 

I bet they go with Carter.

2 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

letting that trump actual game film of watching Richardson (who is very bad at pre snap reads and decision making within the play)

You know this how? Watching a video on you tube? NFL Teams have been watching film on these top guys since high school, if not sooner. They don’t make decisions like this based solely on the combine. Talk about Naive… sheeesh….

21 minutes ago, jrokh said:

You know this how? Watching a video on you tube? NFL Teams have been watching film on these top guys since high school, if not sooner. They don’t make decisions like this based solely on the combine. Talk about Naive… sheeesh….

you are talking about good organizations.

dont get me wrong, you are right about film on all the top prospects.   There is lots of it.

but teams make stupid decisions all the time.  sometimes based on combine results.   sometimes based on who knows what.   I'm sure the combine results will open some eyes and teams will rocket the guy up their board.    in many cases by more than they should.

for the best organizations, the combine is just a way to confirm or reject opinions they already have on a player.   not to make a brand new evaluation.

18 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

you are talking about good organizations.

dont get me wrong, you are right about film on all the top prospects.   There is lots of it.

but teams make stupid decisions all the time.  sometimes based on combine results.   sometimes based on who knows what.   I'm sure the combine results will open some eyes and teams will rocket the guy up their board.    in many cases by more than they should.

for the best organizations, the combine is just a way to confirm or reject opinions they already have on a player.   not to make a brand new evaluation.

Which Team has picked a player based solely on the combine? Please name the team and the player, as well as your source for this information. I'll hang up and listen...

49 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Every year there are a handful of guys who jump up based off of their combine stuff. 

Also, Florida isn't some obscure school people have never seen. 

17 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Every year there are a handful of guys who jump up based off of their combine stuff. 

Also, Florida isn't some obscure school people have never seen. 

Jump up, of course. Richardson was already considered a 1st round pick, if not top 15 before the combine. The combine likely thrust him into the top 10. Not just because of his athletic testing, but he reportedly blew teams away in the interviewing with his football intelligence. What does Florida have to do with it? You claim Richardson is bad at pre-snap reads and decision making within the play. How did you come to that determination?

8 hours ago, jrokh said:

Jump up, of course. Richardson was already considered a 1st round pick, if not top 15 before the combine. The combine likely thrust him into the top 10. Not just because of his athletic testing, but he reportedly blew teams away in the interviewing with his football intelligence. What does Florida have to do with it? You claim Richardson is bad at pre-snap reads and decision making within the play. How did you come to that determination?

By watching Florida play. By reading scouting reports. I know what the hype people on ESPN say but it does not make it true. 

Also, you didn't seem to want to stand behind your guy. 

6 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

By watching Florida play. By reading scouting reports. I know what the hype people on ESPN say but it does not make it true. 

Also, you didn't seem to want to stand behind your guy. 

The reporter was just reporting what he heard. You think he was making it up?  Yeah I figured you were just regurgitating what you read. Thanks for confirmation...

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

The reporter was just reporting what he heard.

there are only a handful of reporters I consider reliable to a point where if they reported something I'd sit up and take notice.

Most of them are clowns who know less about football than most of the people on this board.

so if its a reliable source, fine.    I never read the report in question.   but when dealing with less reliable sources I look to see if anyone else is reporting the same thing.  usually if more than one source is saying something the odds of there being some truth to the report go up significantly.

12 hours ago, jrokh said:

The reporter was just reporting what he heard. You think he was making it up?  Yeah I figured you were just regurgitating what you read. Thanks for confirmation...

Again- I reiterate what I said earlier about Richardson's touchdowns.

The reporter said "Best interview..." that has nothing to do with talent. 

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

there are only a handful of reporters I consider reliable to a point where if they reported something I'd sit up and take notice.

Most of them are clowns who know less about football than most of the people on this board.

so if its a reliable source, fine.    I never read the report in question.   but when dealing with less reliable sources I look to see if anyone else is reporting the same thing.  usually if more than one source is saying something the odds of there being some truth to the report go up significantly.

jrokh is just not hearing what I'm saying. My point has been- if you watch Richardson play, if you read the scouting reports on his game it shows massive holes in what he does.....But he is a great interview and he runs really fast.